Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 5:58:57 PM EDT
Wife and I get to go to Brooklyn, this weekend to visit our daughter. I want to go to the Bronx zoo and get some pizza from a coal fired oven, Angelos Pizza looks good. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
the Bronx Zoo is a hike from Brooklyn, unless you are bringing a car on your visit.
I'm sure it could be done by subway if you really wanted to try.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What part of Brooklyn?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch out for these punks if taking the subway

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, going to take the subway. Part? Bay Ridge Ave that help?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bay Ridge Ave that help?
View Quote
Yeah, Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst most likely.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, going to take the subway. Part? Bay Ridge Ave that help?
View Quote
Helps a lot actually.  BAy Ridge Ave is not far from me.  Know the nearest cross ave?  is it low like 3rd of 4th or higher than 20th?  I know this area extremely well and can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
11 th
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Grimaldis right under the bridge,
1 Front street
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
For pizza? What bridge?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Why does the OP want thin crust burnt pizza?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For pizza? What bridge?
View Quote
Brooklyn Bridge,Brooklyn side
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]
For pizza? What bridge? Verrazano?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok. Im on Google right now so be patient.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some prefer it,Also a Dominos around the corner for the good stuff
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't take a firearm...
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just want to try coal fired oven pizza, FN, discovery channel. Found Angelos in Manhattan? Tried that?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
No firearm? Your shittin me
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#18]
C'mon guys. I have access to Dominoes, I'd like to try a coal fired oven pizza. If they suck, then no. But still a little help. Daughter's trying to get me to see a Broadway show, and I cant take a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
C'mon guys. I have access to Dominoes, I'd like to try a coal fired oven pizza. If they suck, then no. But still a little help. Daughter's trying to get me to see a Broadway show, and I cant take a firearm.
View Quote
Best pizza in brookyn for me is Europa pizza. Amazing
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, So................ Where can I get that?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I go to these restaurants a lot. At least once a month for years and years, so trust me on this stuff.

All of these places are thin crust pizzas, and the signature pies are the margaritas, which is a simple tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella pie. Different places claim to be brick oven pizza, or coal oven or wood oven. I've seen many "brick oven" places that have a stainless steel gas oven, with some thin bricks pasted to the outside surface. Not exactly what is meant by a brick oven. A true brick oven is where wood is burned down to coals in a brick or similar masonry oven, and then the coals are swept to the side, and the pizza itself is cooked both from the radiant heat inside the oven, and from hot surface of the brick itself.

At Juliana's (mentioned more below) you can clearly see the oven and the guys putting in the pies. The inside has a  red glow from the coals, and the pies cook very quickly, only 5 or 6 minutes. Every night after a few hours there is delay for 45 minutes or so when they have to rebuild the fire, to get the coals, to heat the oven back up. Seeing the pies get cooked is pretty neat and you can do this as you wait in line for the bathroom at Juliana's, you're just a few feet away from the oven. The pizza's made this way are supposed to be light and crispy, and the oven gives it a very slight hint of the coals used to cook the pizza, but nothing overwhelming. It's not a smoked pizza.

The pizzeria under the Brooklyn Bridge is Grimaldi's, and right down the street from it is Juliana's, which used to be where Grimaldi's was until a few years ago. Juliana's has continued to make basically the exact same pie. I actually like Juliana's a touch more than the new Grimaldi's location. Both get huge long lines in good weather and at peak times. Get there early on the weekend or expect to wait over an hour to get in. The line runs down the street.

I like their pizza, but hate to wait for hours in line with tourists, so I've found some other places that are absolutely just as good, without the wait, since they are not on the tourist radar.

Patsy's has a few locations in New York, all excellent. the one at University Place and East 11th is my favorite. Just as good as Grimaldi's, but rarely a wait to get in. My personal favorite place. To me it is surprising how fickle popularity is. Patsy's make a great pie easily the equal of Grimaldi's, but since it is not at the top of the list for the "in-crowd", you can walk right in and get a table.

Also is Tavola on West 37th and 9th Ave. It has a full Italian menu, not just pizza and is excellent. It has an authentic wood fired oven. Also an excellent pie, with a few more "artisanal" varieties. I just stick to margaritas, but you can get a bunch of exotic toppings as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
11 th
View Quote
You're in walking distance to my house.

Great area to go out to eat.  If you make your way to 3rd ave between 100 st and BAy Ridge Ave (75th. st)  there are TONS of restautants.  You should go for some real NY corner Pizza.  My favorite is BAy Ridge Pizza on 5th. Ave and 78 street.

Go here for brick over pizza, again within walking distance of where you are staying.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/zio-toto/ 

You'll be in an old school italian neighboorhood (its dying but the holdouts are still here)

Get a sandwich from here (again within walking distance): http://www.lioniheroes.com/

My favorite bagels are on 1410 86th. Street.  "Park Bagels"

Old school italian pork store:
 http://ny.eater.com/2014/2/27/6271983/the-soppressata-at-faiccos-pork-store-in-dyker-heights

You wont find tourists or lines at any of the above.

Let me know if you need more.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Go here for brick over pizza, again within walking distance of where you are staying.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/zio-toto/ 
View Quote
Good info! A construction project I visit is just a few blocks away, I'll be sure to check it out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Spumoni Gardens on 86th. Famous, but not thin.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys. Getting ready to leave.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Got hear yesterday,after many delays and flight changes, weather. Initial impression, I could not live here. Too many people, traffic is ridiculous. The cab ride from the airport was insane. Ate at Sophias, little italian place close by. Food was great. Al the employees seemed to be fresh off the boat.
Getting ready to go out. Probsbly to my daughters after that?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Great. Now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#28]
since you are in Brooklyn, you might as well go to Peter Lugers
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
since you are in Brooklyn, you might as well go to Peter Lugers
View Quote
Bring lots of cash. No credit cards accepted... cash, check, or a Peter Lugers account.

Get the grilled bacon, and the shrimp cocktails are too die for.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I go to these restaurants a lot. At least once a month for years and years, so trust me on this stuff.

All of these places are thin crust pizzas, and the signature pies are the margaritas, which is a simple tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella pie. Different places claim to be brick oven pizza, or coal oven or wood oven. I've seen many "brick oven" places that have a stainless steel gas oven, with some thin bricks pasted to the outside surface. Not exactly what is meant by a brick oven. A true brick oven is where wood is burned down to coals in a brick or similar masonry oven, and then the coals are swept to the side, and the pizza itself is cooked both from the radiant heat inside the oven, and from hot surface of the brick itself.

At Juliana's (mentioned more below) you can clearly see the oven and the guys putting in the pies. The inside has a  red glow from the coals, and the pies cook very quickly, only 5 or 6 minutes. Every night after a few hours there is delay for 45 minutes or so when they have to rebuild the fire, to get the coals, to heat the oven back up. Seeing the pies get cooked is pretty neat and you can do this as you wait in line for the bathroom at Juliana's, you're just a few feet away from the oven. The pizza's made this way are supposed to be light and crispy, and the oven gives it a very slight hint of the coals used to cook the pizza, but nothing overwhelming. It's not a smoked pizza.

The pizzeria under the Brooklyn Bridge is Grimaldi's, and right down the street from it is Juliana's, which used to be where Grimaldi's was until a few years ago. Juliana's has continued to make basically the exact same pie. I actually like Juliana's a touch more than the new Grimaldi's location. Both get huge long lines in good weather and at peak times. Get there early on the weekend or expect to wait over an hour to get in. The line runs down the street.

I like their pizza, but hate to wait for hours in line with tourists, so I've found some other places that are absolutely just as good, without the wait, since they are not on the tourist radar.

Patsy's has a few locations in New York, all excellent. the one at University Place and East 11th is my favorite. Just as good as Grimaldi's, but rarely a wait to get in. My personal favorite place. To me it is surprising how fickle popularity is. Patsy's make a great pie easily the equal of Grimaldi's, but since it is not at the top of the list for the "in-crowd", you can walk right in and get a table.

Also is Tavola on West 37th and 9th Ave. It has a full Italian menu, not just pizza and is excellent. It has an authentic wood fired oven. Also an excellent pie, with a few more "artisanal" varieties. I just stick to margaritas, but you can get a bunch of exotic toppings as well.
View Quote
Good insights.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got hear yesterday,after many delays and flight changes, weather. Initial impression, I could not live here. Too many people, traffic is ridiculous. The cab ride from the airport was insane. Ate at Sophias, little italian place close by. Food was great. Al the employees seemed to be fresh off the boat.
Getting ready to go out. Probsbly to my daughters after that?
View Quote
You FLEW???

Where in VA did you start out?

Give yourself 30min more than the GPS says if you use GPS. for going into NYC or up to the Bronx.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Hop on a train and come visit West Point!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#33]
That's my hood.  Still have family there.

Don't get wound up about coal fire pizza.  Just eat pizza.  There isn't any real bad pizza places.  (Remember I'm now living in Utah where most pizza is bad).  Avoid the Halal pizza places.  That's not pizza.

Bronx Zoo, take the subway, about 90 mins if memory serves.  Too cold to go to Coney Island.  Maybe the aquarium?  Oh if you have time, both the MOMA and Museum of Natural History.  The ladder will be at least a day to see some of the things.  That place is Yuge.  Avoid the tourist traps. 

If you want above average, goto L&B's near 86th street and Avenue U.  Edge of Bensonhurst.  Any traditional restaurant on 4th Avenue in Bay Ridge is good.  Bagels, made hourly.  Fresh.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea baby, L&B, good times there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Bleeker street pizza is best pizza

C/o bleeker st & 7th ave in west village
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was going to say exactly this!!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You're in walking distance to my house.
View Quote
Is Visuvios still on 71st and 3rd Ave?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Do Europa, or one of the "Ray's" is really good, I just can't remember which one! If you're up for going across the Verrazano Bridge, go to Denino's Tavern in SI, BEST pizza in ALL five borroughs, since 1951! It's on Richmond Ave, google it.  Treat yourself Brother!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, Got back yesterday. Was too burnt out to post. Had an OK time, Wont go back. This is the second time me and the Mrs. have been to NYC . 1st was in 2000, went to the Statue of Liberty and the twin towers.
 This time we went to the Bronx Zoo. Got some decent pictures of sleeping bears.
The subway system, Sucks, for me anyway. My daughter knows how it works thankfully or we would have been lost.
We ate at Sofias the 1st night. As we were leaving we saw, across the street Zio Toto we stopped there the second night.
I know its just sauce , bread and pasta but Damn, The best Italian I've ever had.
Never got a coal fired oven pizza but. I did get a Margerita( sp ) whith some extras at Zio Toto. Awsome.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Never been to Angelo's but Juliana's is the best pizza in NY. It's their original Grimaldi's, Patsy Grimaldi changed the name when he sold his name to a bunch of people who don't know anything about pizza. Juliana's is the best pizza I've ever had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top