Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 10:45:21 AM EDT
For those of you around what was it like?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
local bars were serving beer with green glow sticks in them.......
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#2]
In Newark NJ, our parents kept inside for a few days, school was out too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
You misspelled nucular
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I lived less than 50 miles away but was only 5 yo. I remember asking my parents and they weren't too concerned.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots and lots of hype, hysteria, and hand-wringing from the MSM and anti-nuke crowd.

Bumper sticker of the day: "More people died at Chappaquiddick Bridge than Three Mile Island"
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I was young and I had just recently watched a movie called Damnation Alley.  We were planning a trip north, up thru Harrisburg and, I was expecting some awesome special effects in the sky as we drove through at night.  I was disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I was only a few miles away but too young to remember.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The movie The China Syndrome was released just 2 weeks prior and it

fueled the hype quite a bit
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The movie The China Syndrome was released just 2 weeks prior and it

fueled the hype quite a bit
View Quote
Fuck jane fonda!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
This is why we have rules.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember it. I was in Elementary school and all they did was close the windows and keep us inside for recess.

Location was about 50 miles west of TMI.

Remember this well. The only truth is what comes out immediately after an incident. Everything else is lies once people have a chance to control the narrative.

That place released radioactive steam for days and was danger close to going critical.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember it. I was in Elementary school and all they did was close the windows and keep us inside for recess.

Location was about 50 miles west of TMI.

Remember this well. The only truth is what comes out immediately after an incident. Everything else is lies once people have a chance to control the narrative.

That place released radioactive steam for days and was danger close to going critical.
View Quote
Super critical...

Criticality is necessary for the reactor to run normally... just saying.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I was about 5 miles away. They came through in trucks with loud speakers telling us to stay inside and close the windows. I recall a news story about an "accidental" release of somewhere in the vicinity of 2000 gallons of contaminated waste water down the river, never heard about that particular incident again. I loaded up my car with friends and we put 100 miles between us and it as fast as possible. Of course it was already a done deal for a day or two before they decided to tell us about it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh damn! I used post 666 on that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
"accident"

That's what they want you to think.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
A success story of nuclear power in a competent country. It was contained, and not a single person died or got sick as a result.

Nuclear power goes wrong in communist shit hole, and you get Chernobyl.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]
It was a glorious time ... if you were in charge of Columbia Pictures.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I recall my uncle being relocated to Harrisburg shortly after the incident. He was an engineer for Bechtel and was brought in to work on the cleanup and repairs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn... all those people killed.

It's a good thing incidents like TMI opened all of eyes about how terrible nuke power is.

Oh, wait....

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Didn't affect us on the West Coast.  Now Fukushima is another matter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Remember it well.  I was 12.  My grandparents lived in Middletown, right across the river from it.  It was literally in thier back yard.

At the time, we lived in the burbs outside Philly.  They came to stay with us for a few weeks right after it happened.   They finally sold thier house in the 1990's when they moved into the retirement home in Palmyra.

I remember going to thier house many, many times both before and after the accident.   My grandfather passed at 87 and my grandmother is 93 and still living.  So I guess the radiation didn't hurt them too bad.

In this photo, you can see their house in the background in the middle of the stacks.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Didn't affect us on the West Coast.  Now Fukushima is another matter.
View Quote
And Fukushima isn't affecting you, either.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I was too young to even know what was going on, but lived within walking distance of Sequoyah, which was approaching initial startup.  I had just started elementary school, and recall my parents talking about iodine tablets being distributed ahead of the Sequoyah startup, but they didn't seem overly concerned.  Several decades later, I found myself doing the thermal analysis for the Sequoyah and remaining TMI reactors.  

My day in, day out work was along side engineers who were about as deeply involved in all that as anyone, some thirty years prior.  Two things that stand out in our discussions were the limited ability to get information in and out of the control room via telephone, and the inadequate training of the reactor operators.

TMI was rightfully an industry changing event.

I've been out of the industry a bit, and am currently teaching.  One of the project I have my students do is a nuclear fuel rod analysis, and the thermal effects of coolant flow disruption.  I know they don't appreciate the relevance of the assignment, because neither did I when I was sitting in their chairs.  However, I believe they will appreciate this work in the future.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And Fukushima isn't affecting you, either.
View Quote
aren't they letting people go home there after killing MUTO hogs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top