Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2017 11:58:04 PM EDT
New place has them. They look great but the obvious concern is wood and water. 

It's only me so I'm not too worried about  careless amount of water everywhere but are there certain things I should be doing for care? 

Any recommendations for a good mat for use on the wood? 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
What you have to be warry of when it comes to mats/rugs on wood is that some water proof ones (i.e. rubber backing) can either end up shedding material long term, or trapping moisture and making everything worse.

I'd use a thick-ish rug if this is gonna be next to the shower. Synthetic ones are fine, but be mindful of rubber-backed ones.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I went tile in the bathrooms myself.

if a shower or bath in there, it will not be good in the not too distant future.  Although maybe some of the new engineered hardwood floors may be okay.  I have classic oak with Swedish finish everywhere else, where my buddy would lay down next to my recliner when still wet, the finish sucks now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what kind of wood and what finished and glue used.

A lot of boats are made of wood. They get wet
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess you're about to find out if it is really all that bad.  Wait and see.  And then report back with your findings.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guess you're about to find out if it is really all that bad.  Wait and see.  And then report back with your findings.
View Quote
House is 6 years old. Seems fine so far...

That's a good point about the rubber mat, not what I would have originally thought but it makes sense. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
You will not like them in the coming years. If your toilet over flows they are fooked. If you have drunk friends or small male children they are fooked. If the wax ring for the stool fails you are fooked.. Ask me how I have all this knowledge..
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Tile is best
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]
my house was built in 99, Brazilian hard wood through out the first floor including a half bath. That bath room has ~1/8 of an inch gap between some of the panels that were there before I moved in (leading from the toilet). So they must of had a leaking toilet at one point.  Rest of the floors do not have any gaps.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Basically the super thick, ugly gym floor poly and sealing exposed edges on cut outs (toilet).
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Carpet in the bathroom should be a crime. Someone should go to jail for each offense.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't do it but if you really want wood in the bathroom, that new tile that looks like wood can look pretty nice.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:19:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wouldn't do it but if you really want wood in the bathroom, that new tile that looks like wood can look pretty nice.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing.  That stuff looks pretty cool,  at least the higher priced 18" tiles.

Bathrooms are high moisture even with out actual liquid water hitting the floor.

I hear certain bamboo can work if it's the right kind.

Donno, I am 100% tile.  I wouldn't use anything else personally.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:31:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Paging @nujbrown
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Carpet in the bathroom should be a crime. Someone should go to jail for each offense.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh an this too.

Execute motherfuckers who install carpet anywhere near a bathroom. Gotta be out their fucking mind.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
As long as it isn't dirt, you're way ahead. First world problems. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I am a tile contractor with 40 years experience. Wood will eventually get wet and swell then deteriorate, looking like shit when it does. It will not have any water penetration features normally like a waterproof membrane to keep water out of the subfloor/downstairs. keep an eye on problem areas where the wood meets tile or walls. Keep all those joints full of silicone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Every bathroom I've seen with real wood floors have had problems. As soon as you can afford it, rip it out and have tile installed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:12:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oh an this too.

Execute motherfuckers who install carpet anywhere near a bathroom. Gotta be out their fucking mind.
View Quote
I have Traffic Master indoor-outdoor Marine carpet in my master bath. I've got no issues with it. It's a lot warmer to walk on in the winter than tile or wood. 

Don't have to fuck with bath mats getting out of the shower or the jacuzzi either. 

Some y'all don't consider all the options before you start bitchin' about shit. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have Traffic Master indoor-outdoor Marine carpet in my master bath. I've got no issues with it. It's a lot warmer to walk on in the winter than tile or wood. 

Don't have to fuck with bath mats getting out of the shower or the jacuzzi either. 

View Quote
Too cold? COLD?? Bro you get out of the shower and its already way too hot.

I can't fall asleep if the thermostat is above 60f. In the winter.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh an this too.

It's warmer from all the mold spores growing under it. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's warmer from all the mold spores growing under it. 
View Quote
LoFL.

it's true though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#23]
My bathroom in England had wall to wall carpet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Make sure the water fed to the toilet isn't very cold.  If it is then you'll get lots of condensation and that will screw up the wood.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#25]
You should have asked for a floor allotment to use as a way to lower the price. Wood in bathroom sounds stupid.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Wood floors are a step up from carpet

The best choice is rock or tile
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Tile on cement board is the only way I'll do a bathroom.
Wood, or even worse, tile on wood, is a disaster waiting to happen if someone lets excessive water sit on the floor.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I have wood floors in my entire house.  Of course , it's a 1920's farm house that originally didn't have a bathroom.  

I have not hade any issues with the wood flooring in either bathroom.   Yes, I have a child, and no she didn't destroy the floors.

Worry less, enjoy your new house.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have wood floors in my entire house.  Of course , it's a 1920's farm house that originally didn't have a bathroom.  

I have not hade any issues with the wood flooring in either bathroom.   Yes, I have a child, and no she didn't destroy the floors.

Worry less, enjoy your new house.
View Quote
That's how my first house was, Cypress plank flooring in the bath, needless to say after years of getting wet it had to go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I love the topics here.  Actually not all of them but ones like this are fun to read.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Truth.

Were installing wood in our kitchen remodel which I thought was a mistake.

The builder says it is done all the time in kitchens and baths and just be responsible.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wood floors are a step up from carpet

The best choice is rock or tile
View Quote
Rock floor? That would suck without shoes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wood, or even worse, tile on wood, is a disaster waiting to happen if someone lets excessive water sit on the floor.
View Quote
there is wood (or these days, plywood) subfloor under any tile, even if there is a cement board in between the two.
cement board is not a waterproofing membrane, so water eventually gets to the wood underlay.

for this reason...

the subfloor should be type X (exterior glue) plywood ("BCX" is generally what you want, as there are no voids like "CDX" sheathing has).  

the ideal situation then is tile on top of Ditra on top of BCX plywood.  (plywood B side is up)
the BCX plywood is really resistant to bulging and delamination in the presence of water.
it is not, however, waterproof.

thinset the Ditra to the plywood using modified (acrylic), then thinset the tile to the Ditra using unmodified (non-acrylic).

this setup provides for decoupling along with maximum resistance to water damage.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I repaired rotten plywood bathroom floor around toilet using treated plywood. Put down vinyl sheet flooring before I cut the new hole for toilet hub. Sealed hub to vinyl. Wet and wood don't get along. 10 years so far. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
there is wood (or these days, plywood) subfloor under any tile, even if there is a cement board in between the two.
cement board is not a waterproofing membrane, so water eventually gets to the wood underlay.

for this reason...

the subfloor should be type X (exterior glue) plywood ("BCX" is generally what you want, as there are no voids like "CDX" sheathing has).  

the ideal situation then is tile on top of Ditra on top of BCX plywood.  (plywood B side is up)
the BCX plywood is really resistant to bulging and delamination in the presence of water.

thinset the Ditra to the plywood using modified (acrylic), then thinset the tile to the Ditra using unmodified (non-acrylic).

this setup provides for decoupling along with maximum resistance to water damage.  

ar-jedi

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/67909-2/IMG_7224.JPG

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/67855-2/IMG_7289.JPG

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/70141-2/IMG_7318.JPG

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/70135-2/IMG_7320.JPG

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/70149-2/IMG_7584.JPG

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/70166-2/IMG_7608.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for this reason...

ar-jedi

That seems like a good application for epoxy resin and some 18 oz fiber glass mat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#37]
We bought a house with wood in the kitchen.  I'd much prefer tile.  The bathroom, to me, is a tile-no-brainer
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I love gd and the home depot dry humpers
HW in bath is not a good idea
Use tile or vinyl

Stop watching the bs on tv
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

for this reason...

ar-jedi

View Quote
See above for professionalism.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#40]
go with tile. the wood will get discolored and deteriorate eventually.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That seems like a good application for epoxy resin and some 18 oz fiber glass mat.
View Quote
any time that you have tile mated with wood or concrete underlay you have the possibility of either underlay flex/cracking and/or difference in thermal coefficient of expansion.
for this reason you do not want a hard, non-compliant material between the tiles and the subfloor.

DITRA is designed to "decouple" the stiff tiles with what is going on underneath.  the two layers can thus move somewhat independently of each other, and any faults in subfloor (e.g. slight cracking due to slab settlement) do not propagate up into the tile field.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
any time that you have tile mated with wood or concrete underlay you have the possibility of either underlay flex/cracking and/or difference in thermal coefficient of expansion.
for this reason you do not want a hard, non-compliant material between the tiles and the subfloor.

DITRA is designed to "decouple" the stiff tiles with what is going on underneath.  the two layers can thus move somewhat independently of each other, and any faults in subfloor (e.g. slight cracking due to slab settlement) do not propagate up into the tile field.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

so the DITRA replaces the DUROCK?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ditra is the best
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
you are not telling me the problem you are trying to solve.

"yo, investment guy, what mutual fund is good?"  

ar-jedi

ps
read this, any situation you can think up (tile over wood, tile over concrete, etc) is illustrated and solved...
https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/sys-master/images/hcb/h67/8815748186142/DITRA%20Installation%20Handbook.pdf
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
New place has them. They look great but the obvious concern is wood and water. 
It's only me so I'm not too worried about  careless amount of water everywhere but are there certain things I should be doing for care? 
Any recommendations for a good mat for use on the wood? 
View Quote
If the wood is sealed, you shouldn't be worried.
I installed cork flooring in a previous home on the entire first floor, and there was a half bathroom on that floor. I sealed the entire floor two times, and the bathroom and kitchen got water on it and didn't cause problems. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Buy a 30 rack, some ice & water shield, tile, grout and remodel it next weekend. Post pics.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ar-jedi

ps
read this, any situation you can think up (tile over wood, tile over concrete, etc) is illustrated and solved...
https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/sys-master/images/hcb/h67/8815748186142/DITRA%20Installation%20Handbook.pdf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

ps

Thanks for the fact sheet. I see what it does now.  That would have came in real handy when I redid my first house years ago.

My BIL should have used that stuff in his house.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I have oak hardwood floors in my kitchen and I regret it, cannot even imagine real wood in the bath.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

for this reason...

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for this reason...

ar-jedi

This is the way it is done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top