Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2017 7:08:17 PM EDT
In about 3 months I am going on a 5,200 miles road trip from NH to WA to AK.  I will be traveling with a 3 year old and a 1 year old.  What are some must dos/sees and or any other recommendations for such a trip.  Here is a rough idea of the route we will take.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I honestly think I'd shoot myself in the head before I took that trip - especially with two little kids.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The Santa Claus house North Pole (Fairbanks) AK.

Show Boat II Fairbanks AK

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd have to see some valium and bourbon.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I honestly think I'd shoot myself in the head before I took that trip - especially with two little kids.
View Quote
Depends on the kids.

I've done 3600 with 5 kids.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm calling

only because it's 87 hours

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I am moving to North Pole so I will check those out when I get there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Getting PCSd to Fairbanks?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Chicago Science Museum
TR national Park
Yellowstone
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes I am.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd stop in Chicago and see the U-505.

( I checked: the average daytime temp in Chicago in June is between 75 and 81 degrees. If you hit the museum when it opens, and leave the car in a parking garage, the kids should be fine in the trunk for an hour or two.)
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

( I checked: the average daytime temp in Chicago in June is between 75 and 81 degrees. If you hit the museum when it opens, and leave the car in a parking garage, the kids should be fine in the trunk for an hour or two.)
View Quote
Wow that is really cool and will be a must see, minus the leaving the kids in the car part.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You need to see a mental health pro. a 1 and a 3 year old? Are you insane?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You need to see a mental health pro. a 1 and a 3 year old? Are you insane?
View Quote
I love to be punished.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#15]
If going to be in Alaska you have to tour Denali. Took a 8 hr bus tour through there last year. Was wondering what we were going to do on a bus for that long, wished it was longer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If going to be in Alaska you have to tour Denali. Took a 8 hr bus tour through there last year. Was wondering what we were going to do on a bus for that long, wished it was longer.
View Quote
Will be there for at least 4 years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Yellowstone, Glacier if you don't mind a detour northward.  Denali in Alaska.  Mount Rushmore.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes I am.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes I am.
Who'd you piss off?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Who'd you piss off?
View Quote
Call me crazy, I reenlisted for it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#20]
In Red Lodge, Montana, go south over the Beartooth Pass. Visit Yellowstone. Go back north to your route through Livingston, MT (beautiful town).

Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#21]
How much time do you have? my friend just did that trip for fun.

Niagara falls, Yellowstone/ old faithful, mt rushmore, glacier national is amazing but might not be open early summer, HOH was cool, Mt rainier/helana.

Make sure you take a trip down to DC before you leave. If you havent been there are a lot of cool things to see. Never know when you will be on the east coast again, dont leave without one last hurrah.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much time do you have? my friend just did that trip for fun.

Niagara falls, Yellowstone/ old faithful, mt rushmore, glacier national is amazing but might not be open early summer, HOH was cool, Mt rainier/helana.

Make sure you take a trip down to DC before you leave. If you havent been there are a lot of cool things to see. Never know when you will be on the east coast again, dont leave without one last hurrah.
View Quote
I am taking 30-40 days to make the trip, but would like to get to Fairbanks with some time to settle in.  I have been to DC many times as well as up and down the eastern seaboard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In Red Lodge, Montana, go south over the Beartooth Pass. Visit Yellowstone. Go back north to your route through Livingston, MT (beautiful town).

Carry on.
View Quote
Yeah yellowstone is a must.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Spaceneedle in Seattle OP..also get pics at the license plate wall in Dawson creek...Canada..WATCH for animals especially thru Canada and Ak, bears, moose, sheep, goats...check at the creeks for salmon running..the time is right as well..
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah yellowstone is a must.
View Quote
Plan on a couple days, three is better.  You won't be able to see the cool stuff without hiking so crowds will be bad for your.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Mt. Monadnock!  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Stop at Vortex Optics in Middleton Wisconsin.

When you get to N.D., keep going, and once you're near the western part of Montana, go drive into GNP.  Missoula is cool.  93 north into Kalispell is a beautiful drive.  Stop at Polson and have some Cherries brisket.

Coeur d'Alene is nice from what I hear.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Little Bighorn National Battlefield won't be much of a detour, looks like.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#29]
101 through big sur
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mt. Monadnock!  
View Quote
Done that.  although never got around to it in winter like I wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I would plan your day so that you start at 0 Dark 30 and get a couple of hours driving before the kids wake up and want breakfast. Then take breaks where you let them out of their car seats to run around or in the case of the 1 year old flop around.

Rest stops and city parks will be your friend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd do Toronto - Blue Water Bridge - Lake Huron shoreline - Mackinaw Island - Lake Michigan Shoreline of the U.P. - Wisconsin Dells - Badlands/Black Hills/Needles Hwy and Devils Tower - Beartooth pass - Yellowstone - Grand Tetons - Craters of the Moon and then up to Bellingham WA to catch a ferry to see the Inside Passage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#33]
If you've got the time, take the drive up the dempster highway and go up into the arctic circle. Its a completely boring drive , you get to see some neat shit occasionally though. Then you can tell people you've been inside the arctic circle Its starts close to Dawson city, and it looks like you'll be close. With 2 young kids I don't know if I would do it, Mainly because of the road.

When I went up it years ago it was pretty much all dirt, and its a long drive from Dawson city. I stopped at a "gas station" in which the fuel was pumped from 55 gal drums. A rough looking ol'gal came out to crank the pump and I asked her If anyone ever not stops for fuel. She said, "If they do, they don't ever come back"
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'd do Toronto - Blue Water Bridge - Lake Huron shoreline - Mackinaw Island - Lake Michigan Shoreline of the U.P. - Wisconsin Dells - Badlands/Black Hills/Needles Hwy and Devils Tower - Beartooth pass - Yellowstone - Grand Tetons - Craters of the Moon and then up through Vancouver and the Inside Passage.
View Quote
I have a friend in Ohio I am going to see on the way so I will definitely be taking the U.S. Route through there.  Plus I have never been to those states and a bucketlist goal is all 50 states.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope you like corn
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you've got the time, take the drive up the dempster highway and go up into the arctic circle. Its a completely boring drive , you get to see some neat shit occasionally though. Then you can tell people you've been inside the arctic circle Its starts close to Dawson city, and it looks like you'll be close. With 2 young kids I don't know if I would do it, Mainly because of the road.

When I went up it years ago it was pretty much all dirt, and its a long drive from Dawson city. I stopped at a "gas station" in which the fuel was pumped from 55 gal drums. A rough looking ol'gal came out to crank the pump and I asked her If anyone ever not stops for fuel. She said, "If they do, they don't ever come back"
View Quote
I will be living in Fairbanks area for at least 4 years once I get there so I will be going up that way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#37]
If you're stopping at Yellowstone, make sure to hit Grand Teton as well. You'll be sad you didn't.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too. Short of someone seriously funny or well-read, I wouldn't take that trip with anyone. Kids and possibly an irritable wife? Fuck that noise.
5000+ miles? Hire movers and catch a flight on one of those new-fangled jet airplanes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Bismarck. ND has a great museum.  The North Dakota Heritage Center

Where I94 makes that little bump in eastern, MT is a little town called Glendive.  Nice park there called Makoshika State Park.  Badlands like environment and you can see the K-T boundary there.  

Yellowstone, NP.  speaks for itself.  

Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, MT.  

Glacier, NP.  Impossible to take a bad picture there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd do Toronto - Blue Water Bridge - Lake Huron shoreline - Mackinaw Island - Lake Michigan Shoreline of the U.P. - Wisconsin Dells - Badlands/Black Hills/Needles Hwy and Devils Tower - Beartooth pass - Yellowstone - Grand Tetons - Craters of the Moon and then up to Bellingham WA to catch a ferry to see the Inside Passage.
View Quote
I'd skip this.

It's a touristy trap water park.  Their a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you're stopping at Yellowstone, make sure to hit Grand Teton as well. You'll be sad you didn't.
View Quote
This.

Grand Teton
Yellowstone
Devils Tower
Badlands
Mt Rushmore
Crater Lake
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#42]
An airplane ticket. Day 1 wont be bad, but those kids won't want to be in the car for days 3-100.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#43]
You could take Highway 2 through Washington and stop in Leavenworth.

It's more scenic, but that far into the trip, you might want to stick with I-90 just to make it as quick as possible.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Carry on.
View Quote
Yes and add the Tetons in WY.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Go south from the Badlands and take an afternoon in Custer state park. Drive the wildlife loop and see the buffaloes. Your welcome.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wow that is really cool and will be a must see, minus the leaving the kids in the car part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen, I have more experience at this parenting thing than you do.  Leave them in the trunk.  You'll be glad you did.

ETA: Make sure you disable that interior trunk latch release.  The one year old would be OK, but the three year old might get away.  My son would have gotten out of the Federal supermax, no problem, when he was three.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#47]
A 10,400 mile trip with a 3 year old and a 1 year old? 

Oh lawd, no thx. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A 10,400 mile trip with a 3 year old and a 1 year old? 

Oh lawd, no thx. 
View Quote
its a one way trip
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm calling

only because it's 87 hours

View Quote
Lol. Good eye!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This.

Grand Teton
Yellowstone
Devils Tower
Badlands
Mt Rushmore
Crater Lake
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Grand Teton
Yellowstone
Devils Tower
Badlands
Mt Rushmore
Crater Lake
Wot he said.

with 30 - 40 days to do it, you'll have a lot of fun.

Get a couple of tour books for the trip thru Canada.
It's pretty rugged, and easy to fuck up.
'Guide to the Alaska Highway,' for one.

If you are taking any guns, check the regs carefully, as Canukistan
will love you non-tenderly if you do it wrong.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top