Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2017 2:39:52 PM EDT
I live on a few acres outside any city limits. Perfectly legal to shoot here. BUT, I still have neighbors on 3 sides. None closer than 100 yards. I shoot into a hillside so there is a pretty large boom that echos thru the canyon. I moved in less than a year ago and still feel a bit sheepish about blasting more than a few mags. Only time I hear any other gunfire is around the start of hunting season with people sighting in their Fudd guns. Thoughts?

POLL incoming
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have neighbors on two sides about 300 yards away, I usually wait till 10am before I start shooting and I only shoot at night if I have a skunk or some critter in the yard. I haven't had anyone complain in a long time, and wouldn't really give a damn if they did since I'm legal and totally safe. I'm usually the only one that shoots around here, until dove season when it sounds like WW III has broken out all around.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are friendly with your neighbors invite them to come shoot one afternoon.
It could bring you together more, bring new shooters to the sport, and easy your mind a little if they are having fun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If I were you I would just purchase a couple if silencer's, you get to keep on friendly terms with your neighbors + keep your hearing as a bonus!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My neighbors shoot outside more than I do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Poll fail, needs option for:

X)  Shoot with suppressors only.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
why is there no option for cans?

We were shooting in PA on our property, safe back stop, neighbors a good distance, etc. Still  just threw on the can. My inlaws didn't even know we were out there and they were only 25 yards away! 22s out in the wild are good, clean fun
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I were you I would just purchase a couple if silencer's, you get to keep on friendly terms with your neighbors + keep your hearing as a bonus!
View Quote
Suppressed centerfire is still pretty loud.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of my neighbors shoot to so it's not a problem. I only shoot handguns and 22lr. Rifle is only shot at the range I belong to about 50 miles away.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If my neighbor's horses are out I won't shoot.  Other than that I'll frequently test fire guns and often practice with pistols.  Rifles go to the gun club I belong to three miles away.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot.  Full neighborhood outside City limits.  No fucks given.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
We pretty much only shoot when we have to.
Poisonous snakes, feral dogs and cats, wild pigs...stuff like that.

Tend to use an air rifle and a back stop for plinking.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys behind me been burning it up for the last 2 hrs.
I been loading up REAL .45 s, with 250 gr XTPs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#14]
All my neighbors shoot too, so blast away.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Suppressed .22LR is all well and fine, but sometimes you gotta let the big dogs eat too...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Both of my ranges are less than 200-300 yards from the 'neighbors'. Don't really care how they feel about it. One of them is my cousin. The other a couple of hippie homesteaders.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]
My closest two neighbors don't shoot...or at least I've never heard gunfire from their houses.  A lot of other people in the area do shoot, and sometimes you can hear gunfire from several different directions at once.  For the most part I don't worry about it.  If gunfire upsets you, you're in the wrong neighborhood.  That said, I do try to be somewhat respectful; I won't shoot after about 5pm, I try limit myself to no more than 300-400rds on any given day, and I keep the full auto to a minimum.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I will mag dump every now and then just to keep the neighbors on their toes.

We all get together around Thanksgiving for an annual shoot, refer to my avatar for more info...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I live out in the country but I'll limit my shooting to around 20 minutes or so per session. My nearest neighbor is the one who gets everybody worked up anyway. He has a 700+ HP mudrunner, the kind that compete in mud bog runs. He'll fire it up and rev the engine up and down for long periods at a time. Usually in the evening when people are sitting out enjoying the solitude. Even at a distance you can't carry on a conversation without shouting over the noise. He's added another noisemaker this year. One of his friends.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

and I keep the full auto to a minimum.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't give a shit about what the neighbors think, especially after they shot my barn and do mag dumps between 9 and 10 pm. My horse has ptsd from those assholes.

My handgun range is in my yard, so it probably wouldn't be too loud for them. I'm in the process of building a very large rifle range closer to them just because I can.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#22]
When I lived in the unincorporated county years ago, I had neighbors on the sides but no one behind me. It was pretty much no fucks given back then. Nowadays I can't shoot where I live but do have 50 acres out in the sticks that I can shoot on but I try not to over do it. I figure with me only being up there every couple months, I don't want to be the asshole who makes a bunch of noise on the weekends and then goes home to his place in the city afterward.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#23]
My closest neighbor is a mile away, so I do not spare a minute of thought for neighbors when shooting on my property.

However...

I do a good bit of shooting at my father's house on a small range I set up 5 yards inside of his property line adjoining one of his neighbor's front lawn.

That's another story.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Freedom, If you can't hear it - it ain't gonna last much longer
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have any close neighbors, but just for the hell of it I've been thinking about building a "shooting shack" with insulated walls, maybe with a row of tires to shoot through.

Just seems like a good idea to stay as low key as possible.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for reminding me that this coming Monday is "Mag dump Monday".    Then again, last Monday was also "Mag dump Momday".   Guess what next Monday is?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#27]
During the day no ducks given. At night suppressors used. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Suppressors for the win
But I understand a few mags from the carry guns or clays
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
A couple times a year all my neighbors get together and have a shoot.

None of us care if the others are shooting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Suppressed, pistols/PCC, or any .22.  Generally with zero fucks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Poll fail, needs option for:

X)  Shoot with suppressors only.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#32]
My neighbors shoot, and I do occasionally, most of my shooting is done at the range, it takes me all of ten minutes to drive there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I live on a few acres outside any city limits. Perfectly legal to shoot here. BUT, I still have neighbors on 3 sides. None closer than 100 yards. I shoot into a hillside so there is a pretty large boom that echos thru the canyon. I moved in less than a year ago and still feel a bit sheepish about blasting more than a few mags. Only time I hear any other gunfire is around the start of hunting season with people sighting in their Fudd guns. Thoughts?

POLL incoming
View Quote

Shooting in MT is the norm, not the exception, as long as you have a good backstop, blast away!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in a rented house in the country with the nearest neighbor about 200 yds away and the next nearest one about 1/8 mile.  There is a bunch of woods behind the fields behind me that my landlord owns that I occasionally shoot on.  I shoot downwards into a gully so I don't have to worry about a round going somewhere I can't see.  There are residences over 1/4 mile away beyond the woods.  The area I shoot in is at least 1/4 mile from my house and a few hundred yards more to the landlords house across the road from me.

I was shooting my 7.5" AR pistol, with KAK micro flash can, a week ago in the woods.  Shot about 60 rounds.  We all know AR pistols are loud but have shot several times in the woods with it and the family says they can't hear it in the house.  This time my landlord called and wanted to know if the one neighbor (who I caught on the land one time, poaching no doubt) was out there shooting.  Also my daughter said it sound like I was shooting inside the house.  Apparently the conditions were just right that day and sound really carried.  Maybe when the leaves are out and the weather gets hot it won't be so bad.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a great spot years ago on some friends land to shoot on.  10 acres in a straight line.  A berm 100 yards from the bench and a pefect spot to shoot skeet from a knoll into a cornfield.  Nearest neighbors a quarter to half mile away each side.  I shot there for years until the old man sold out on the east side of the land.  Next thing you know three houses sprout up.  We shot out there one more time and the new homeowners came out bitching even though we were hundreds of yards away.  My friends Dad told us, "Sorry boys, I have to live next to these assholes and it isn't worth dealing with them."  One shooting session and they threatened legal action.  WTF?  

Now I live in Idaho and have plenty of BLM land to shoot on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Complaining neighbors would prompt a HTF shoot hosted on the property.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I was shooting a few mags at a time, but then a house was built directly next to me, so now I just check that new guns will fire without jamming by ripping off a mag into a dirt pile. I sometimes shoot 22LR at targets with a suppressor. So I am pretty nice to my neighbors, but it really doesn't matter much because there is a shotgun range half a mile away, and a lot of other neighbors shoot all the time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I stick to .22 only.  Usually Colibris. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I shoot.  Full neighborhood outside City limits.  No fucks given.
View Quote
I used to shoot right outside my place off Piney Green just outside Lejeune.  Including my M203 and mortar.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I wait until after noon when shooting up at dads.

I also try to be efficient about it, not popping off random rounds for hours. If I want to shoot a couple boxes I set up my targets, lay everything out, and start firing and reloading mags at a steady pace.

We shot handguns up there today for an hour or so. Plenty of time to get in some shooting, and not even close to enough time to really annoy anyone.

My neighbor this summer on a few occasions starting shooting  mid morning on a Sunday, and just kept going until almost dark. Like 3 mags pretty quick, a couple minute break (to reload them I assume) and off to the races again. After hour number 4 it started to get annoying.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We pretty much only shoot when we have to.
Poisonous snakes, feral dogs and cats, wild pigs...stuff like that.

Tend to use an air rifle and a back stop for plinking.
View Quote
I shoot at my house with Colibri's and air rifles.

I could safely shoot .22 rifles and handguns if I spent half a day building up a berm, but I really don't want the noise here.

When I have more land I plan on putting my range a decent distance from the house.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Being "respectful of neighbors" is for faggots.  We presdint now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Rural area here with homes on only three sides of my property. Properties on 2-4 acre lots, ours is basically 4 with 15 acres of woods at the base of a hill, but I don't own that. It will probably never be developed.

Hill behind our place, where I am currently clearing out a small 50yd range. I will shoot .22 no problem, but because the house is on a hill anything bigger will carry a long way. When I get a can I'll shoot all day long no problem.

I have shot ARs AKs and such with no complaints but I know they're loud as fuck and I wouldn't want to listen to it constantly

Lots of people shooting often out here but they tend to have more land and no immediate neighbors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#44]
If you are respectful and don't shoot early morning or at night, and also get to know your neighbors, it goes a long way. Enjoy your freedom
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I used to shoot right outside my place off Piney Green just outside Lejeune.  Including my M203 and mortar.
View Quote
Dude. I used to live off of Piney Green by the Monster's Pizza on Sandra Lane.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#46]
we try to be respectful of the neighbors on the land we shoot on, reasonable hours mainly, its 1/4 , mile to the closest and they are not inline with the ranges, so........  Besides, they know they are invited if we start, they will show up on occasion.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

POLL incoming
View Quote

I tell one neighbor, the rest can FO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I've got 7 acres and a dedicated range set up. Nearest neighbors past the berm are 900 feet thru woods. To the side is a neighbor that shoots and I hear shots from many properties in the area (most lots are around 4 acres or so).

I don't shoot up the place like when I am on big property, and limit myself to a few hundred rounds and slower fire. I mostly shoot suppressed. When I shoot MGs they are suppressed except now and then a few mag dumps from an unsuppressed Uzi to show the neighbors who's the boss
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My neighbors shoot outside more than I do.
View Quote
I am kinda on the end of the line. Lots east of me are all 640 acre or larger. West and south, nearest neighbor is greater than 1/2 mile away. I have a neighbor to the west who shoots often, his property out of line of sight due to high ground between us. Some of his center fire rifle goes over his backstop. Due to the high ground, any of those rounds will be 60-100ft above my garage rooftop and land down range north of my berm in an area I never venture so all is good from my perspective.

The common sound of gun fire out here is a calming reminder of the chaos of screaming neighbors, barking dogs, and cussing teenagers that I have been so blessed to leave behind that was city life.

Living on your own range relieves stress so well you don't feel the need to actually use it as much.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Rural-ish area but plenty of neighbors (all have 2+ acres) so what we do is to shoot on Saturday mornings from 11am-noon.

It seems that being predictable and limiting the timeframe helps keep the complaining to a minimum.

Almost always just  pistols too, which is a lot quieter than rifles (except the S&W 460 revolver  ;-)

In fact, one time a neighbor noticed no shooting on a Saturday.......and wondered if something was wrong  ;-P
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top