Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 3/25/2017 11:32:00 AM EDT
I was taught a long time ago that my right to swing my fist ends where someone else's nose begins. So how is it some attention-whoring fag* gets to have those obnoxiously loud pipes on their motorcycles when it hurts my ears? I get all the talk about "muh rights" and "sound of liberty" and whatnot, but when it's actually causing me pain, why do they get a pass?

It's because of thoughtless assholes that go out of their way to be complete and total cunts that we end up with people saying "somebody needs to do something" which invariably leads to more laws. You can enjoy your mid-life crisis-mobile without causing me hearing loss.

*n. 1. An extremely annoying, inconsiderate person most commonly associated with Harley riders. 2. A person who owns or frequently rides a Harley.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh, you done it now!

But I totally fucking agree.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
In before "loud pipes save lives".
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate very loud pipes...but I hate laws more.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#4]
"Loud pipes save lives" but some are stupid loud.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
They don't bother me so much, except when they're showing off.  Like riding into a parking lot revving it up and bouncing if off the limiter, as though doing so makes them the coolest person ever.  Just makes them look like an asshole.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Are noise pollution codes for vehicles a thing?

Will they become a thing when electric autos get significant market share?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was taught a long time ago that my right to swing my fist ends where someone else's nose begins. So how is it some attention-whoring fag* gets to have those obnoxiously loud pipes on their motorcycles when it hurts my ears? I get all the talk about "muh rights" and "sound of liberty" and whatnot, but when it's actually causing me pain, why do they get a pass?

It's because of thoughtless assholes that go out of their way to be complete and total cunts that we end up with people saying "somebody needs to do something" which invariably leads to more laws. You can enjoy your mid-life crisis-mobile without causing me hearing loss.

*n. 1. An extremely annoying, inconsiderate person most commonly associated with Harley riders. 2. A person who owns or frequently rides a Harley.
View Quote

Can I put straight pipes on my cars? My next Chevelle is getting 10 series flow masters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#8]
It's because they don't make truck nuts for motorcycles, and stamping "I'm a giant attention whore" on the back of their useless plastic half brain bucket or BDSM wannabe pleather jacket isn't as popular.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Meh, not true.  In a modern car with the windows up and radio on, you don't hear those bikes until they're right next to you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sorry about your pain.

Are there any other things that cause you pain?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#12]
ever seen the cock sucking, faggot ,mother fuckers, with load pipes wearing earplugs?
their lives aren't worth saving.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ever seen the cock sucking, faggot ,mother fuckers, with load pipes wearing earplugs?
View Quote
Do they really???
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud pipes but claiming it's damaging your hearing is ridiculous.  That's on the same level as people who claim that people shooting is damaging their hearing or giving the ptsd.

The earplugs are usually for wind noise, not the exhaust.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The same idiots that say "loud pipes save lives" are the same idiots that don't wear helmets.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I do believe loud pipes are useful on cars and motorcycles.  They alert pedestrians to the incoming car/cycle, and let people around you hear that you're near them.  I think those dead-silent electric cars are actually a big hazard to pedestrians.  I've had a Prius or one of those Nissan leafs in electric mode creep right up on me a few times.  I'll look behind me and see this nearly silent electric car like 15 feet away.  With my loud piped car, pedestrians generally hear me coming from a considerable distance and turn their heads away from their iphone or w/e to see me.  Seems safer all around.  You also get the amazing joy of smashing the pedal to the floor whenever passing a prius and blasting the libtard with the sound of a real car
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#17]
You have every right to be offended, carry on now; go be offended.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hate very loud pipes...but I hate laws more.
View Quote
Pretty much where I stand on this subject.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#19]
They don't bother me until the rider is acting like a cunt. Like on a shopping street where the speed limit is 20mph and you are having a drink or a meal outside. Or when said cunt is backing his bike up to a sidewalk as people are walking by revving the crap out of his engine. Hey look at me. I'm a fucking idiot.

Out on the road. Make all the noise you want. Doesn't bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
We wear earplugs to prevent hearing loss from the constant wind noise.  They have nothing to do with loud pipes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Micron Ti exhaust. Loud as fuck. Bite me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#22]
My bike has slip on Vance & Hines exhaust. Not too loud at all. I rarely hear loud pipes on bikes around here. Sorry you're so easily spun up lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the right to fuel efficiency. What are you,  a global warming denialist?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Less bothered by loud pipes, but the idiots who have to rev the throttle at a stop 2 times per second for a 30 second light irritate me.  If it won't idle get it fixed, and don't use same old tired excuses for no idle quality.

And why be the guy who can't mount turn signals on it and use them.  And I can't see your damn arm on the left side when I am on your right and you decide to full throttle to cut me off cause you think you own the lanes.  Of course that's if you even use the arm to signal, most don't.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Get a copy of your local noise ordinance. Is it being violated? If not, deal with it. If yes, make a decision and take the action you think is right. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The same idiots that say "loud pipes save lives" are the same idiots that don't wear helmets.
View Quote
True story.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud pipes but claiming it's damaging your hearing is ridiculous.  That's on the same level as people who claim that people shooting is damaging their hearing or giving the ptsd.

View Quote
Never been under a gas station cover when a DB decides he needs to show off have you?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
My friend had a bike that is no doubt loud enough to be damaging within 20 feet or so. I was helping him work on it and had to have plugs in. It was was louder than any saw or small equipment I own.

If you're on the sidewalk and he drives by, it's going to hurt your ears, it's stupid.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Back in the 60"s they made sure my Honda 90 had muffler baffles when it was inspected.
Now, in the better weather , with the doors closed I sometimes cannot hear the wife speaking because of the loud pipes.
You could not drive around in a car with no muffler??
Boom cars are also somewhat of a problem.
Police have these automated speed checkers around town. Why not something useful like a decibel level checker?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Personally,, I love the sound of a well tuned motor. Any well tuned motor as a matter of fact. OP might need to hand over his man card, if he has one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#31]
People get mad if I play rap music loud but it's okay to blast my ear drums with loud pipes or air brakes at 130 db.

I'm going to use external speakers and blast construction sounds and recordings of Harley pipes at 130 db.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone who loves loud pipes should have to live next door to a Harley dealership.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We wear earplugs to prevent hearing loss from the constant wind noise.  They have nothing to do with loud pipes.  
View Quote
And I have loudish pipes so I can hear the engine. Even with my pipes it is barely audible to me at 60+.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Harley riders, loud muffler crotch rockets, fart can Civic driver, and hood rat ghetto beat listener are all the same.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do they really???
View Quote
Yes they do, useless sacks of shit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
This and why are they allowed to be that loud, yes I ride and yes I have pipes but nothing near as some, the real pisser is, if I were to run a car on straight headers and short glass packs I'd be pulled over instantly, while still not as loud as some straight pipe bikes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Having some flow is ok and being somewhat loud is ok. But loud pipes suck if you ever tried to ride them for a few thousand miles.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
1. Most areas have some noise law
2. Not often enforced
3. Attention whore cunts I hate you
4. We already know you have a small dick now turn down the noise.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who needs to check the calendar to see if Spring has started.  I just wait for the Harley Hate Threads to start showing up in GD.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Akro's on one of my R1's.

The perfect note.

Not terribly obnoxious.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Harley riders, loud muffler crotch rockets, fart can Civic driver, and hood rat ghetto beat listener are all the same.
View Quote
Agreed. My daily driver is my motorcycle, its loud at wot, but i dont act like a cunt where people live or are outside. My car has a loud exhaust when WOT, but is nice and mellow when putting around normally. Again, i dont act like a cunt and try to treat people like i want to be treated.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#42]
If you are still moving the engine is still running. Overly loud exhaust just pisses people off and you can't hear an engine problem over the loud pipes unless you have earplugs in. I have over 50 years riding under these gray hairs and you can hear my bike but it doesn't hurt your ears.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Grown up version of the retard teenager with shitty music rattling everything where ever they drive.

I'm going outside to yell at clouds now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#44]
When I'm on my bike I like the 3 or 4 cars around me to hear me, not the 3 or 4 blocks of people.

My experience with riding leads me to the conclusion that there are 2 types of loud pipers: old Harley guys that need loud exhaust to be able to hear it because they've gone deaf from riding a loud motorcycle their whole lives (it's a downward spiral) and young guys with shit bikes who put loud ass exhaust on to try to show off.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Meh, not true.  In a modern car with the windows up and radio on, you don't hear those bikes until they're right next to you.
View Quote
I hear them all the time when they are A) In my blind spot B) Coming down the road over a blind hill as I'm trying to pull out of a driveway.

Still annoying though
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Are noise pollution codes for vehicles a thing?
View Quote
Yes, in most jurisdictions. Rarely enforced.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Let me guess, you only shoot suppressed.
Gay AR owners whining about loud pipes are gay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh look, it's this thread again.

OP, there are noise laws for vehicles in every city and state.  If the bad Harley rider has annoyed you that much, get his license number and make the call.  There are also laws about things like fender flares and bumper heights.  Both of which cause far more hazard on the roads than noise. Are you butthurt about those too, or is it just the Harley rider who has your butt flaming with passion?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes, in most jurisdictions. Rarely enforced.
View Quote
Is this your opinion?  Or do you have some numbers or real world experience to back it up?

Because when I rode with drag pipes I'd get at least one noise violation a year. One year I think I got 4 or 5.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Can't stand them. Given the chance, I'll follow them, do a slow drive by, then chuck my beer can at them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top