Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2017 11:21:52 PM EDT
Link

The feds have revived the grand jury probe into the NYPD chokehold death of Eric Garner — and a police witness who was questioned in front of the panel believes an indictment is looming, sources told The Post on Thursday.

A high-ranking NYPD official and a sergeant testified behind closed doors in the Brooklyn federal courthouse on Wednesday after being slapped with subpoenas, sources said.

Revelation of their appearances before the grand jury marks the first sign that the US Justice Department hasn’t abandoned the racially charged case since the inauguration of President Trump and the confirmation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
View Quote
Deputy Inspector Joseph Veneziano — who was commanding officer of Staten Island’s 120th Precinct when Garner was killed there in 2014 — complained after his testimony Wednesday that the “yes or no” answers he had to give were intended to blame cop Daniel Pantaleo.

“Veneziano was upset that the questions in front of the grand jury were selective,” a source said.

“It seems they’re moving toward trying to get an indictment.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Family gets a huge payout

Cop gets thrown under the bus

Selling loosies goes on every day since I can remember
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Family gets a huge payout
Cop gets thrown under the bus
View Quote
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

And the band played on...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Food mart and smoke shop caught selling loosies

Very far from SI
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#4]
That wasn't a chokehold.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That wasn't a chokehold.
View Quote
Unfortunately, as Extorris has said in the past, a chokehold is whatever the department says it is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Fat ass guy, diabetic, recipe for disaster. The fatass should have taken the pinch, he would be selling loosies again 2 days later, probably would have gotten a beetus shot while he was pinched and felt better for the next day on the corner
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Dat smile and wave doe
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dat smile and wave doe
View Quote
"Go into plainclothes they said.....it'll be fun and cool they said"
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
If they hadn't choked him he'd still probably be dead by now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
If he wouldn't have resisted and just taken the pinch he would have been out on a DAT about 2 hours later, and beat them in court
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh well.  I guess it sucks being the muscle for extortionists.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Feds rule that the death was not a homicide.  They further determine that the health of the perp contributed to
His death.  There was no chokehold.  Puts Nypd and deblasio in tough spot  difficult to fire pateleo if independent group finds no wrong doing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh well.  I guess it sucks being the muscle for extortionists.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]
No Double Jeopardy...unless you're a NYC cop.

And people in NYC just don't understand why cops don't give a fuck.

I think I'll have a $37 Padron and a Johnnie Green this evening, courtesy of NYC's taxpayers.

Say it with me brothers...FUCK YOU, PAY ME.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think I'll have a $37 Padron and a Johnnie Green this evening, courtesy of NYC's taxpayers.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
The uproar over Brown in STL was bogus...the guy was a thug.

Them hassling the fat guy in NYC over hustling  loose smokes was retarded and wrong. I'll give them that one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The uproar over Brown in STL was bogus...the guy was a thug.

Them hassling the fat guy in NYC over hustling  loose smokes was retarded and wrong. I'll give them that one.
View Quote
I hate it when cops hassle criminals. And shit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Apparently they give enough of a fuck to choke people for selling individual cigarettes or owning firearms. The dude might have been passively resisting arrest, but it was an arrest that shouldn't have been happening in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FUCK YOU, PAY ME.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Apparently they give enough of a fuck to choke people for selling individual cigarettes or owning firearms. The dude might have been passively resisting arrest, but it was an arrest that shouldn't have been happening in the first place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. I miss choking people.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Realistically, how much jail time are you looking at for selling loosies? He was arrested over 37 times, he knew the system. The guy who stole the ambulance and ran over and killed the EMT this week knew the system and even taunted cops that he was not going to jail, and he did not go to jail he went to the hospital

"I am going straight to the hospital and you ain''t doing shit"

He is in Bellevue right now, not Riker's
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
To be fair, they were acting as revenuers at that point.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY stopped people from getting UPS shipments of smokes. A lot of bodegas have phony stamps, they get cigarettes from down south and put the phony NY tax stamp on it, pure profit. NY did not become the Empire State for nothing
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't that fall under the coast guards jurisdiction or would he had to have been on a boat?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#28]
How much money do you really make selling individual cigarettes?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How much money do you really make selling individual cigarettes?
View Quote
It's all about volume, my man.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's your opinion.    How about the opinion of the man who owns the store that he was selling loosies in front of?   The guy who has to pay rent and electricity and bills and insurance for the store he was running?   Does his opinion count?    The owner of the store thought enough to complain to the police repeatedly until they did something about the fat fuck in front of his store.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought all this BS was supposed to end when we tossed out the Dems?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's all about volume, my man.
View Quote
There was a thread a while back that said almost 60% of all cigarettes in NYC are untaxed

“Every store in Brooklyn,” the bodega owner said, buys cigarettes from someone who travels down South to states with lower cigarette taxes. In places like Virginia, North Carolina and Delaware, they’ll buy cartons containing 10 packs of cigarettes for around $48 a pop, then come back to New York, where local stores will buy them around $55.

“My guy has 100 different businesses he sells to,” the bodega owner said, gesturing across the street at a Chinese restaurant, a laundromat and a barbershop. “All three of those stores buy and sell smuggled cigarettes too,” he said.

He said a friend makes a weekly trip to North Carolina with $100,000, loads up on cigarettes, then returns to New York. “He makes a million dollars a year,” the bodega owner said.

The financial incentive for smuggling cigarettes is clear. If the bodega owner were to go about it the legal way, buying a pack of cigarettes at the wholesale price of $12.50, then retailing that pack for $13, he only makes 50 cents profit.

Each pack of cigarettes smuggled from out of state wholesales for about $5.50. The store owner can still sell those packs for $12.50. But suddenly, he’s making a $7 profit.

Other stores, in order to stay competitive, sell cigarettes for cheaper.

Down the street, walk into another bodega and ask for cigarettes, and the clerk will go into a back room to get you a pack. The price: $8.

Walk another block and a different bodega illegally doles out “loosies,” single cigarettes, for 75 cents each.

The booming black market for cigarettes in New York City started in the early-2000s, the bodega owner said. In 1997, he said he was selling cigarettes for $2.10 a pack — the same price as in many other states. Now, less than 20 years later, a combination of federal, state and local taxes have driven the average price of a pack in New York City to $12 to $14.

“The incentive to profit by evading payment of taxes rises with each tax rate hike imposed by federal, state, and local governments,” a Justice Department study in 2009 found. That year, the head the tobacco-diversion division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told The Wall Street Journal that states were losing an estimated $5 billion each year due to cigarette smuggling. New York state alone, according to officials in 2011, was losing $525 million a year.

A new report from the Tax Foundation found that 57 percent of cigarettes consumed in New York state in 2012 were smuggled into the state illegally. That’s the highest rate of smuggled cigarettes in the country. New York has the highest state tax on cigarettes and New York City imposes an additional $1.50 levy.

Cracking down on tobacco smuggling has become a priority for New York authorities. Last month, state tax officials busted a Queens man for the “for the illegal transportation, storing and sale of untaxed contraband cigarettes.”

Hassan Aidibi, 39, was arrested in the Bronx garage where he allegedly kept more than 900 cartons of smuggled cigarettes.

Link
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#33]
State and federal lawmakers have passed a slew of legislation aimed at reining in smuggling. Congress passed the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act in 2010, which made the online sale of cigarettes illegal unless the seller pays the required state taxes. It also curbed cigarette-shipping through the Postal Service. A law that year in New York ended the ability of Native American tribes to sell non-taxed cigarettes to non-tribe members. And in 2011, laws in New York and New Jersey required governments to destroy contraband or counterfeit cigarettes seized by law enforcement, rather than selling them at auction.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#34]
The Ghetto is like Switzerland for selling Loosies or pirate DVDs/CDs at least to me. Who gives a shit?

It all starts when some store owners association whines to some Politician they grease about losing business. We had the same thing happen to the flower selling jagoffs on the side of the road. What real man is going to drive by with his sweetheart in the car and not buy a flower for her? So the Florists put heat on the elected and before you know it entire Tac teams are running around all night chasing flower jagoffs around the block.

The way I saw it it was as close to them having a job as were gonna get. At least when they are selling Loosies they are to busy to steal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fat ass guy, diabetic, recipe for disaster. The fatass should have taken the pinch, he would be selling loosies again 2 days later, probably would have gotten a beetus shot while he was pinched and felt better for the next day on the corner
View Quote
Dont forget cocaine user. Amazing how much long tern damage cocain does to the heart, and how few people factor it into strokes and heart attacks later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Selling loosies and untaxed smokes has been occurring my entire life. Let your imagination run free and imagine what happened when the wiseguys on the block found out I was in the service.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote
That's your opinion.    How about the opinion of the man who owns the store that he was selling loosies in front of?   The guy who has to pay rent and electricity and bills and insurance for the store he was running?   Does his opinion count?    The owner of the store thought enough to complain to the police repeatedly until they did something about the fat fuck in front of his store.
View Quote
Meh, you know how it is - they'll happily side with the shitbirds if it means they can take a stand against the man.

Of course, if Garner was hanging out in front of their house, or walking down their street, we'd be seeing a "I Think I Just Got Cased" thread.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Positional asphyxia

The city will still shell out bucks though.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That wasn't a chokehold.
Positional asphyxia

The city will still shell out bucks though.....
They already did
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#40]
WTF, Sessions?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
WTF, Sessions?
View Quote
If it was a red state, maybe. But NY, especially NYC are blue, so Sessions is going to turn his back
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#43]
ZERO sympathy for any cop who wastes time harassing someone for "Loosies". Now someone is DEAD

Give'em the chair
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

they did something about the fat fuck in front of his store.
View Quote
What does his weight have to do with cops harassing people for loosies?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There was a thread a while back that said almost 60% of all cigarettes in NYC are untaxed

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1703293/thumbs/o-CIGARETTES-900.jpg?6

“Every store in Brooklyn,” the bodega owner said, buys cigarettes from someone who travels down South to states with lower cigarette taxes. In places like Virginia, North Carolina and Delaware, they’ll buy cartons containing 10 packs of cigarettes for around $48 a pop, then come back to New York, where local stores will buy them around $55.

“My guy has 100 different businesses he sells to,” the bodega owner said, gesturing across the street at a Chinese restaurant, a laundromat and a barbershop. “All three of those stores buy and sell smuggled cigarettes too,” he said.

He said a friend makes a weekly trip to North Carolina with $100,000, loads up on cigarettes, then returns to New York. “He makes a million dollars a year,” the bodega owner said.

The financial incentive for smuggling cigarettes is clear. If the bodega owner were to go about it the legal way, buying a pack of cigarettes at the wholesale price of $12.50, then retailing that pack for $13, he only makes 50 cents profit.

Each pack of cigarettes smuggled from out of state wholesales for about $5.50. The store owner can still sell those packs for $12.50. But suddenly, he’s making a $7 profit.

Down the street, walk into another bodega and ask for cigarettes, and the clerk will go into a back room to get you a pack. The price: $8.

Walk another block and a different bodega illegally doles out “loosies,” single cigarettes, for 75 cents each.

The booming black market for cigarettes in New York City started in the early-2000s, the bodega owner said. In 1997, he said he was selling cigarettes for $2.10 a pack — the same price as in many other states. Now, less than 20 years later, a combination of federal, state and local taxes have driven the average price of a pack in New York City to $12 to $14.

“The incentive to profit by evading payment of taxes rises with each tax rate hike imposed by federal, state, and local governments,” a Justice Department study in 2009 found. That year, the head the tobacco-diversion division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told The Wall Street Journal that states were losing an estimated $5 billion each year due to cigarette smuggling. New York state alone, according to officials in 2011, was losing $525 million a year.

A new report from the Tax Foundation found that 57 percent of cigarettes consumed in New York state in 2012 were smuggled into the state illegally. That’s the highest rate of smuggled cigarettes in the country. New York has the highest state tax on cigarettes and New York City imposes an additional $1.50 levy.

Cracking down on tobacco smuggling has become a priority for New York authorities. Last month, state tax officials busted a Queens man for the “for the illegal transportation, storing and sale of untaxed contraband cigarettes.”

Hassan Aidibi, 39, was arrested in the Bronx garage where he allegedly kept more than 900 cartons of smuggled cigarettes.

Link
View Quote
If all they care about is revenue, it seems like lowering the tax rate might actually increase revenue.  At some point the spread in tax rates would be to low to profit off of.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If all they care about is revenue, it seems like lowering the tax rate might actually increase revenue.  At some point the spread in tax rates would be to low to profit off of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1703293/thumbs/o-CIGARETTES-900.jpg?6

Link
It's almost as if they intend to create a black market
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
NY is not the Empire State cause they will give up anything, you make your own Empire hustling, this has been going on my whole life more than 50 years
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If it was a red state, maybe. But NY, especially NYC are blue, so Sessions is going to turn his back
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF, Sessions?
They're federal prosecutors, they don't work for anyone but Sessions. They don't owe NYC squat. He could turn this off with a phone call.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I gather from this thread that the police should ignore certain crimes and should not respond with force when people physically resist arrest. I'd like some detail on (1) what crimes should be ignored and why action should be taken against others; (2) why law-abiding merchants should be required to accept competition from those who gain advantage by violating the law; and (3) how the police are to distinguish those suspects who may be forcibly reduced to custody from those who are entitled to release upon a display of resistance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They're federal prosecutors, they don't work for anyone but Sessions. They don't owe NYC squat. He could turn this off with a phone call.
View Quote
Whoever they are, they're going to play hell proving intent to violate Garner's federal civil rights.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top