Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Tacoma is the only off road capable pickup truck on the market currently.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Careful. Someone might make this their sig line.  

Raptor, power wagon both are better off road options.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
As much as I like both of those, they are way too big to take on trails around here. You wouldn't be able to turn those around the places I go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my 17 TRD Off Road.  Power is fine, I've towed near what it is rated for and it handled it just fine.  I sit comfortably in it, perfect size IMO.  I like the long bed, have hauled everything from lumber to sand bags, to livestock.  Only have like 4,000 miles on it though.

But it has drum brakes, so into the garbage can....

Oh, and I test drove the Silverado, Colorado, F150, Ram...chose the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol, Power Wagon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought it was good looking
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are ugly and if you get one that is hecho en Mexico then you have to let an illegal  immigrant live in your home.
I thought it was good looking
We still talking about the truck?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Just purchased a 2017 Tacoma due to my car being totaled. I actually got the 4 cylinder model and love it, I really don't need the power since I never tow anything. Mileage isn't bad I get about 23 miles to the gallon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#9]
As some one who is going to be a first Toyota owner I have gone to 3 dealerships already and test drove 3 new Tacomas.
One was the TRD off road , TRD sport and the TRD off road long bed double cab .

This opinion is coming from a current Silverado owner .

All 3 trucks felt fine but I could feel the transmission shifting for no reason on virtually a straight away on the highway .
Going up hill they felt even stranger , up shift , down shift , upshift  down shift etc..  It seemed like they were searching for the right gear but couldn't find it.

The salesman told me that's normal and after a month it will settle in to your driving style? The interior and seating felt cramped but that could be because I'm use to a full size truck .

I thought they looked really nice  and don't get the hate of them when they are called ugly . Price wise they were between $35,000 to $38,000 for the long bed double cab.

OP go drive one but take it out on a long drive , up hills  , down hills not the typical short drive dealers like to do with test drives it might change your mind on one or maybe it won't.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To all.  I am tentatively car shopping.  I've always been a Toyota guy and doubt any other Makes and Models will sway me into a Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet.    I currently have a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L.  It has 200k miles.  It's been a great truck.  Plenty of room, more power than I'll ever need.  Rides nice.  In the past I've had a 1st gen 4Runner, FJ40, FJ60, and an FJ80 so I'm good with poor ride quality and and underwhelming passing power.

That said, I've been looking at the Tacomas and Tundras.  To get a Tundra I'll have to go pretty high mileage or older to realistically afford the payments. I'm not looking to spend $40k+ on a truck.  

Are there any known issues with the 3.5L V6?  It seems to be a new engine in the Tacoma in 2016 and 2017.  Any other issues that I need to be aware of?  

Thanks for the help.

BTW do we have anyone that works for Toyota here?
View Quote

I recently bought a brand new frontier pro4x.

Here is my decision making list i used to arrive at my decision.

Negatives for tacoma:

Costs way more (like 8 grand for comparably equipped) nissan will haggle, toyota wont. Dont compare MSRP, and dont listen to true car. 8 grand buys a fuckton of gasoline.

There are rumors of reliability issues with the engine and transmission.

Rear drum brakes

Plastic bed.

Mostly made is mexico.

Ugly (matter of personal taste.)

Bigger (i want a small truck)

Not as comfortable.

Negative for nissan:

Lower resale (i have no plans to get rid of the truck before its worthless anyway). Most of this was offest by getting the truck for 87% of MSRP (no joke).

Lower fuel mileage.  Who cares? Gas is cheaper than vehicles.  

Not a new. People like shiny new things, i like the fact that the bugs are all worked out on this model.

The frontier has a stronger frame, stronger bed, and stronger engine.  The transmssion isnt horrible, but could be better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You need to visit tacomaworld.com
View Quote
Don't go there, you will never buy a Gen 3.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry cant talk you out of it. I loved all my previous Tacomas but just got a horse and bought a Ram to haul his big ass around but if not for him I would still be rollin' my Taco
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty much most everyone who has one is pretty happy with it. You kind of have to look at the whole picture. Most people that bag on a particular vehicle own brand X , not the one in question. So all that input is practically worthless. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a fan of the new ones. Find a low mileage 2nd gen. A 2010 will be the best value because it has the old interior so the price takes a hit. Get a 2011+ if you want the interior and exterior refresh.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have zero experience with the Toyota, but  .....................

Take a look at the Colorado .............. especially the ZR2 coming out later this year ..................... See Tacoma comparison  ................

My 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 - Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Tires - Motto Metal Wheels - Westin Bull Bar - DC Sports Exhaust Extension.

Everything else factory .............

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 2006 Tacoma. Two repairs were a fuel pump and had the leaf spring upgrade. If you can swing the tundra you will be happier.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 16 DCSB TRD Sport, I'm pretty happy with it. Its the first pickup I've owned so can't really make comparisons to anything else, I do wish it more seat adjustments, I like the more car like sitting position.  Not a huge fan of the gearbox its definently setup for better fuel econ I wish I had got a manual but at the time I bought mine they were getting ready for 17's soon and it would of been a 2 month wait for a manual. My fuel econ usually ranges from 19ish-23ish. I don't haul to much stuff but its done fine when I've had a riding mower in the back or 30 bags of mulch.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Negatives for tacoma:

Costs way more (like 8 grand for comparably equipped) nissan will haggle, toyota wont. Dont compare MSRP, and dont listen to true car. 8 grand buys a fuckton of gasoline.

Rear drum brakes

Plastic bed.

Mostly made is mexico.

Not as comfortable.

Negative for nissan:

Lower resale (i have no plans to get rid of the truck before its worthless anyway). Most of this was offest by getting the truck for 87% of MSRP (no joke).

Not a new. People like shiny new things, i like the fact that the bugs are all worked out on this model.

The frontier has a stronger frame, stronger bed, and stronger engine.  The transmssion isnt horrible, but could be better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To all.  I am tentatively car shopping.  I've always been a Toyota guy and doubt any other Makes and Models will sway me into a Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet.    I currently have a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L.  It has 200k miles.  It's been a great truck.  Plenty of room, more power than I'll ever need.  Rides nice.  In the past I've had a 1st gen 4Runner, FJ40, FJ60, and an FJ80 so I'm good with poor ride quality and and underwhelming passing power.

That said, I've been looking at the Tacomas and Tundras.  To get a Tundra I'll have to go pretty high mileage or older to realistically afford the payments. I'm not looking to spend $40k+ on a truck.  

Are there any known issues with the 3.5L V6?  It seems to be a new engine in the Tacoma in 2016 and 2017.  Any other issues that I need to be aware of?  

Thanks for the help.

BTW do we have anyone that works for Toyota here?

Negatives for tacoma:

Rear drum brakes

Plastic bed.

Mostly made is mexico.

Not as comfortable.

Negative for nissan:

Brother made the jump from a Tacoma to a Frontier. He has been pretty happy so far. Seemed like a much better value. He did not like the Tacomas that were out when he was car shopping. For what he needs it works great and at a way cheaper price.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#19]
We have the same truck OP (08 Tundra with the 5.7)  I keep lusting for a Tacoma set up for off-road, but having a 6ft bed and a truck that is paid off keeps me from pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Have a 2013 Tacoma. Best vehicle I've ever had.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't understand the hate for rear drums?  

They stop the truck, are easy to work on, and they last forever.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Just keep your Tundra unless it's about to die or something.

No need to get into a new car payment now - your truck should be fine and it's most likely paid off, right?

No car payment pays for a lot of preventive maintenance and gas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
You did this in the other thread to. I know you WANT your Tacoma to get good mileage, but it just doesn't What you have there is mileage listed over only 61.4 miles. Of course your dash reading is going to shower a higher than avg fuel economy. When you travel the rest of the 333 miles let us know what you're avg is then. Until then, the Tacoma is absolutely 100% not a 27.7mpg truck. No way, no how.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Are they still putting plastic beds in those trucks?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got the '17 SR5.
Not 4x4 but it feels like a spaceship compared to my ranger
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#27]
My son was shopping for a mid sized truck and ended up with a 2016 GMC Canyon with the All Terrain package.  Beat the Tacoma in almost every way.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Waste of money. Buy something else. Toyota has been resting on their reputation and in the mean time the other truck companies have been out trying to earn your business instead of reheating the same old crap.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You did this in the other thread to. I know you WANT your Tacoma to get good mileage, but it just doesn't What you have there is mileage listed over only 61.4 miles. Of course your dash reading is going to shower a higher than avg fuel economy. When you travel the rest of the 333 miles let us know what you're avg is then. Until then, the Tacoma is absolutely 100% not a 27.7mpg truck. No way, no how.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But muh computer !
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Yesterday's truck at tomorrow's prices.

Knock yourself out!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last months issue
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't understand the hate for rear drums?  

They stop the truck, are easy to work on, and they last forever.
View Quote
You think drums are easier to work on than disc brakes?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Not this again.
Dude that truck doesn't get that mileage.
If you had a diesel truck you be one of those guys who say they get 30mpgs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
What are you going to put in a mini truck that you need a steel bed to hold?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Just buy a late 90s too early 00s model for about 12 grand instead.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I really wanted to like my '16 Tacoma, but getting rid of it was the best feeling ever. Gutless and noisy. I had all kinds of issues with mine. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Polymer. I've hauled all sorts of shit in mine, and my wife is clumsy as fuck and has dropped a bunch of heavy objects with sharp angles into the bed and nothing's ever broken or seriously gouged it.

Same folks who bash the polymer bed of the pickup usually use polymer guns without blinking.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My son was shopping for a mid sized truck and ended up with a 2016 GMC Canyon with the All Terrain package.  Beat the Tacoma in almost every way.
View Quote
Except that it's a GMC, and the resale value, and the offroad performance, and the reliability, and....
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Take the breather off and lets have a look at the carb!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not this again.
View Quote
Yup. Mind boggling. Especially since...

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Unless you really need the bed, a 4Runner will be better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://preview.ibb.co/g97L3v/fuelly.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not this again.

https://preview.ibb.co/g97L3v/fuelly.png
Wow, mileage like that, for a weak V6 in a midsize truck

I'm stuck in suburban NJ, those city-miles are about as shitty as you get, complete with hills too.
I get 13.5mpg.
Ram 1500 Rebel with a Hemi.
It gets closer to 20mpg highway. If I had a healthy mix of highway in my drive, it would be in tacoma territory - only with fullsize truck space, comfort, and a 400hp V8.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm stuck in suburban NJ, those city-miles are about as shitty as you get, complete with hills too.
I get 13.5mpg.
It gets closer to 20mpg highway. If I had a healthy mix of highway in my drive, it would be in tacoma territory - only with fullsize truck space, comfort, and a 400hp V8.
View Quote
Agreed. Over priced trucks. Though if you don't need a fullsize I guess it would be worth it. But an Ecoboost gets similar if not better mileage.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Negatives for tacoma:

Rear drum brakes

Plastic bed.

Mostly made is mexico.

Not as comfortable.

Negative for nissan:

View Quote
Believe me I understand where you are coming from.
I currently own a 2009 Frontier and was looking at Tacoma's yesterday as my brother owns one and I am considering a new truck as a retirement gift to myself.
Those Toyota dealers just won't deal and I refuse to pay $500 less than full retail price.
My Frontier has never given me any problems and to be frank is quite a sturdy little truck.
Nissan will probably get my business again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What are you going to put in a mini truck that you need a steel bed to hold?
View Quote
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
View Quote
What I don't want in a mini truck is a rusting steel bed and too much weight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Agreed. Over priced trucks. Though if you don't need a fullsize I guess it would be worth it. But an Ecoboost gets similar if not better mileage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get 13.5mpg.
An XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost can run about $38k depending on how you configure it - so says the website.
Will you find one on the lot like that? Who knows

Such a bummer. I like Toyota, but they are not without their flaws.
V6 power, V8 mileage - not impressive.
This generation's Tacoma is kind of a bummer.
Of the midsize trucks on the market right now, I think I like the Canyon (Colorado) the best.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:24:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

As much as I like both of those, they are way too big to take on trails around here. You wouldn't be able to turn those around the places I go.
View Quote
This is why I love my Taco. Size and agility count for a lot in tight brush and crappy old mine roads. I don't need massive towing capability (if I can trailer a small boat and yank another truck out of a ditch, that's enough for me) or fancy interiors with lots of gadgets. Given the option, I'd probably buy a 1980s truck with improved mileage over anything on the market today. I've had it up to here with electronic gadgets to the point that I am seriously considering ditching cell phones for a landline and radios. It's all more trouble and expense than it's worth.

OP, buy a low-mileage 2nd Gen. Toyota seems to have a lot of kinks to work out with the 3rd Gen trucks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:06:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
4WD?  The best I ever got out of my 4.0L six speed was 20.1 for a tank. That was short shifting at 2,000, windows up, A/C off, and lots of 60 mph highway driving. It would do 17 mpg most of the time, but put 3,000 pounds behind it and that dropped to 11 mpg. Add a headwind and I was looking at single digits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
4WD?  The best I ever got out of my 4.0L six speed was 20.1 for a tank. That was short shifting at 2,000, windows up, A/C off, and lots of 60 mph highway driving. It would do 17 mpg most of the time, but put 3,000 pounds behind it and that dropped to 11 mpg. Add a headwind and I was looking at single digits.
My very best was driving in a snowstorm; 4wd doing about 30 for 4 hours.  I got around 24mpg.  '09 4L V6 4x4.  Average was 16.6 overall.
Page / 3
Top Top