User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yea, by MMA strikers.
There is a HUGE difference in skill between the best MMA strikers and one of the best pure boxers to ever get in the ring.
View Quote
While i agree that he has an advantage you do realize that nobody in boxing has been afraid of mayweather as a puncher for like a decade right?

He does not knock people out anymore. He out points them by being evasive and scoring when he can counter punch.

Conor will be a good target for counter punching but Mayweather has never been a threat to just demolish people ever in his entire career (Tyson and the bigger boxers were always looking to drop you)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

While i agree that he has an advantage you do realize that nobody in boxing has been afraid of mayweather as a puncher for like a decade right?

He does not knock people out anymore. He out points them by being evasive and scoring when he can counter punch.

Conor will be a good target for counter punching but Mayweather has never been a threat to just demolish people ever in his entire career (Tyson and the bigger boxers were always looking to drop you)
View Quote
The only boxers who try for a knockout are the guys who are losing late in the match (save for heavyweights).  It's always about winning the round.

I'll go so far as to say MCGregor will punch himself out early because he won't be landing anything.  Stop dancing, bobbing and weaving so I can hit you dammit!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well gang it looks like I'm alone again.

Connor is a natural fighter.  His punches feel like a train hit you.  He can knock you out with just 1 punch.  He just beat a man that was much bigger than him.  He knocked out somebody when he was moving backwards.  He's quick.  He has skills that you and I can only dream about.  He uses the biggest muscle in his whole body to beat you...................... his brain.

Mayweather is 40 years old.  That is OLD for a boxer.  You can't cheat time.  Sure he was great in the day.................. but now he only wants to get paid.

Listening to all the commentators and boxing coaches pick Mayweather hands down. Bla Bla Bla.  They're boxing.    Rules.   Etc.  I can guarantee you that not one of them has been in a real fight.  When I was younger I got into a fight a week.  I got my ass kicked plenty of times.  You can see it in their eyes before 1 punch is thrown. Mayweather's opponents all say he hits like a stinging bee.  Not individually hard, but after an accumulation they add up.  His focus has always been the counter.  Back in the day, sure, he could dance & weave & stay outta harms way.  He was viciously fast.  He could hit you 5 times before you took your next breath.  He won't get the chance to counter a lot with Connor today.  Conner can rock your world with 1 punch.  He proved he can take a punch too with Diaz. I haven't seen Mayweather punch anybody in quite awhile.

When the bell rings.................. Mayweather will get his head handed to him, and he knows it.  Look at his interviews & focus on his eyes, forget the words.  He won't be able to back up fast enough.  He can talk a good game.  Conner can talk too.  This fight will bring in plenty of $$.   The hype will outshine anything we've seen before.  Forget the Rousey BS...................

Bottom line:  It's gonna be fun.  Either way, it will be very entertaining. Don't spend any $$.  Just torrent it the next day or watch it on Kodi.  I'll say Conner in 2!  I wonder what the odds will be in Vegas.  I'll take that PPV $$ & put some down!
View Quote
Mayweather may be "old" but he is still in shape and he isn't slow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The only boxers who try for a knockout are the guys who are losing late in the match (save for heavyweights).  It's always about winning the round.

I'll go so far as to say MCGregor will punch himself out early because he won't be landing anything.  Stop dancing, bobbing and weaving so I can hit you dammit!
View Quote
I agree again, but the guy i quoted is making it out like mayweather is some major threat to come in throwing fists and knock connor out ASAP. Some people were wondering if there would be permanent damage done.... he isn't and never has been mike tyson.

It is a hell of a lopsided match with boxing rules i just want to put the threat in perspective
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
They're boxing, Mayweather has this all locked up.  Mayweather will stay on his game and box McGregor and the most interesting outcome is that McGregor gets his ass kicked.  I want to see that less than I want to see X amount of rounds of Mayweather not getting hit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree again, but the guy i quoted is making it out like mayweather is some major threat to come in throwing fists and knock connor out ASAP. Some people were wondering if there would be permanent damage done.... he isn't and never has been mike tyson.

It is a hell of a lopsided match with boxing rules i just want to put the threat in perspective
View Quote
the typical boxer that Mayweather is fighting against simply doesn't leave themselves unprotected when throwing punches.... if they did, they wouldn't be in title fights.

Mayweather wouldn't come in throwing bombs. He'd let McGregor swing away and land a counter punch every single time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
How is this a question? McGregor isn't a boxer. Mayweather is one of the best pure boxers in history. He's not a fighter. He's extraordinarily effective on defense, and his counter ability is why he's undefeated. Mayweather always fights smart against stronger opponents, which I don't really think McGregor would be.

They are almost identical in size - McGregor has a two-inch reach advantage (this isn't Buster Douglas and his 12 inch advantage over Tyson) and maybe 10 pounds over Mayweather's last fighting weight. I am pretty sure the fact that McGregor isn't a boxer is going to make all the difference.

But whatever, this is GD, so the vote will probably be Bruce Lee.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't see how Floyd would agree to a real sanctioned boxing match.
View Quote
So far it looks like they may have to hold the match in Russia because no sanctioning organization in the US will let McGregor into the ring with Mayweather.
No sanctioning organization wants to be responsible for the brain damage Conor is going to receive.

The only people who think Conor has a chance are people who have no clue about the huge difference between MMA striking and boxing.
In MMA you're a freaking GOD if you can put together a 3 punch combination consistently.
In boxing 6+ punch combinations are the norm.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't say anything about Mayweather KO'ing Conor, I do say it's going to be such a lopsided victory by Mayweather as to be embarrassing if Conor has a shred of dignity.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How is this a question? McGregor isn't a boxer. Mayweather is one of the best pure boxers in history. He's not a fighter. He's extraordinarily effective on defense, and his counter ability is why he's undefeated. Mayweather always fights smart against stronger opponents, which I don't really think McGregor would be.

They are almost identical in size - McGregor has a two-inch reach advantage (this isn't Buster Douglas and his 12 inch advantage over Tyson) and maybe 10 pounds over Mayweather's last fighting weight. I am pretty sure the fact that McGregor isn't a boxer is going to make all the difference.

View Quote
Those are THE BEST threads
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
After thinking about this more, doing this fight is a colossal mistake for McGregor.  He's fighting Mayweather on his terms, in his ring, with his rules.  Mayweather has every advantage even without being a world class boxer.  McGregor's aggressive style would play right into Mayweather strengths.  There's no contest here, literally the only upside for McGregor is the paycheck, but he has so much to lose.  He's built his career on bravado and trash talking then backing it up in the ring.
Getting embarrassed by Mayweather slipping his punches round after round, with the real possibility of getting KO'd, could be more damaging than any amount of money he'd make off it. If his confidence is shaken it could be the end of his career and any future earnings.

Look at what happened to Ronda Rousey. She started believing her own hype and it ruined her career.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
No way McGregor would win against Mayweather in a boxing match.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How is this a question?
<snip>
View Quote
I freakin' loved the Lee vs Ali thread
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#15]
FLOYD ''Money'' MAYWEATHER || Highlights/Knockouts
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The only way this fight will ever happen is if it is entirely on Mayweather's terms.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm confused about people thinking Conor has a chance in a boxing ring with boxing rules.
Pacman is a great fighter in his own right. And even he couldn't hit Money.
Money is pound for pound, one of the best fighters in the history of boxing.  Conor might have a chance against a run of the mill boxer, but not against a world class boxer.
Conor would kill Money in the Octagon, but a boxing ring with 12 rounds is a whole different story.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
While this is true unless you count his wife Conner is the worst boxer with the worst defense Floyd has ever fought.  That alone makes a KO much more likely than it usually would.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only way this fight will ever happen is if it is entirely on Mayweather's terms.
View Quote
Mayweather said as much.  "You are the B side I am the A side.  I didn't complain when I was the B side then I became the A side."  Not exact quote but something like that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah I'm not dropping coin on a boxing match. Last couple I gotcha you ears ago were a bust. I enjoy UFC fights. Boxing not so much.

Mcgregor will be out of his league in a boxing ring.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think McGregor will win a boxing match but I hope he does.

Just to put the final nail in boxing's coffin. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#22]
This is so fucking stupid. Mcgregor's gonna be a punching bag. Boxing gloves are gonna make it worse, because he's going to be able to absorb a ridiculous amount of shots before he finally can't stand up. No MMA flash KO's, this will be 300 minor concussions accumulating over a period of about 8 minutes until he ringside doctor says "holy shit, this guy's gonna die."
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
McGregor will get his ass whipped because it will be a boxing match, not a UFC fight.
View Quote
^
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Compared to Floyd, McGregor is an amateur striker at best.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Compared to Floyd, McGregor is an amateur striker a toddler at best.
View Quote
Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
He could not put Diaz down.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Someone posted this in another thread, but I like the idea.  Make it a 5 round bout, with the first three rounds being standard boxing rules...the last two rounds will be MMA style, no gloves.  It forces Mayweather to not play defense for three rounds, and makes things very interesting if McGregor makes it to the 4th.  

I'd pay to see that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mayweather will get his ass whipped because it will be a boxing match, not a UFC fight.

Mayweather only knows boxing and will be at a tactical disadvantage dealing with the moves of a non-boxer.
View Quote
You're contradicting yourself. RIF
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This statement shows your complete ignorance. 

It takes an act of god to stop a diaz. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#30]
If it happens...I may order my first PPV ever...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Boxing rules= Mayweather

UFC rules= McGregor

Why does everybody keep asking this?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This statement shows your complete ignorance. 

It takes an act of god to stop a diaz. 
View Quote
The Diaz brothers are fucking animals when it comes to the mental fight game.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:35:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
And cardio.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Whatever happens, I hope it tarnishes Mayweather's career.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Boxing  Mayweather win easy. Prolly a landslide if not a ko.

Mma the Irishman.... easy.

Floyd will not do it if it's Mma that's for certain.

So I'm going MONEY FLOYD 110%
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#37]
With his record. Mayweather isn't going to lose in a novelty matchup like this. It ALL about the hunnit dolla bills y'all!
Boxing is right up there with WWE. All about the $$$, and your a fool if you think otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:44:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
To the seven guys that have voted McGregor will win, you do know that it is a boxing match, with boxing gloves and boxing rules right?
View Quote
Against a young, hard hitting, southpaw which Mayweather always has problems with. McGregor with the upset.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Against a young, hard hitting, southpaw which Mayweather always has problems with. McGregor with the upset.
View Quote
Purely IDIOTIC!!!!

Floyd wouldn't even get touched. He would dance and counter all day. After 3-5 round Connor would blow his load and then a KO would follow soon. What fight of Floyds on scorecards was close? Boxing is about scoring points and winning ROUNDS. This isnt 1920. Just like the golovkin fight this past week. He threw less but landed more. That's boxing. Same would happen and a couple knockdowns im sure if not a KO

BOXING IS NOT MMA
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mayweather will get his ass whipped because it will be a boxing match, not a UFC fight.

Mayweather only knows boxing and will be at a tactical disadvantage dealing with the moves of a non-boxer.
View Quote
lolwut
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#41]
McGregor disqualified within seconds of the knee coming up or round house kick.  One is a boxer and one is a brawler.  Natural instincts kick in with McGregor and Mayweather is down.  Fight is called.  This is a meh fight.  I rather see it MMA rules.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Boxers are pussies with glass jaws. Guys like McGregor shak off the kind of shots Mayweather deliver like they're nothin'.

Mc Gregor wins by KO in first round, yes, even with (((boxing rules))).

I DGAF about either sport, just my observations.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck Casper Gomez, and fuck the fucking Diaz Brothers.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:24:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Boxers are pussies with glass jaws. Guys like McGregor shak off the kind of shots Mayweather deliver like they're nothin'.

View Quote
Obviously.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:33:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Obviously.
View Quote
I still have my observations though.

Please don't for a minute think I do not understand the technical skill involved in boxing.

I'm taking about this matchup only, But on the whole boxers can't shake a blast like an MMA fighter can.

Tyson would destroy Bruce Lee.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:36:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Pikey.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I still have my observations though.

Please don't for a minute think I do not understand the technical skill involved in boxing.

I'm taking about this matchup only, But on the whole boxers can't shake a blast like an MMA fighter can.
View Quote
What makes you say that?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:06:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
U obviously don't follow boxing
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:09:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I want to see mayweather knocked out hard. Actually I just want to see him have the shit beat out of him regardless of boxing or UFC style.

Boxing used to be respectable, now its 140 pound short guys slapping each other trying to score points instead of knock the other out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#50]
mayweather on points. At least McGregor will bring more energy than Pacman did
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top