User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"This also meant keeping defense contractors, which tend to move slowly and conservatively and with an eye for profit, out of the design process. "

Fuck you asshole...I'm a engineering defense contractor responsible for quoting/developing/delivering your POS design that may or may not be valid. I'm not slow and YOU NEED ME IN your design process.

Cunt.
View Quote
Lol with an attitude like that it would motivate a designer to seek his answers else where or solve the problems on their own. Engineers aren't magic and you aren't as special as you think you are.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wanna bet I could build a GPS guided short range missle for 5k? combine a mobile phone with a couple servo's from RC planes, a bunch of G series model rocket motors and an RC plane, with a modest payload. DONE.  

OH wait ISIS is already using drones to drop hand grenades....
View Quote
You can build one easily with a couple of arduinos and a rasberry pi. Bigger problem is how long does the model rocket engine burn for and how to get the ram jet (speed and airflow) to reliably work at altitudes needed.

This is cool but done often. Engineering projects when I was in college solved real-world problems as a capstone before graduation. Almost all, were just like this if it was for Raytheon, albeit with a novel concept or idea in one area. There would be more work needed in command and control and corrosion resistance. It would have to live statically on ship for long periods of time, again easy to solve.

When it comes to *need it right now* the military can procure and field quickly. Look at MRAPs and dozens of other examples. Look at harpoons, suddenly a power rises after the 90s and it's o crap, harpoons aren't good enough, no launchers on any of our ships. Modify an SM-2 to hit ships and then get this out in 2018. AGM-158
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

When it comes to *need it right now* the military can procure and field quickly. Look at MRAPs and dozens of other examples. Look at harpoons, suddenly a power rises after the 90s and it's o crap, harpoons aren't good enough, no launchers on any of our ships. Modify an SM-2 to hit ships and then get this out in 2018. AGM-158
View Quote
MRAP was procured and fielded quickly because, I'm told, basically every issue was responded to with "throw buckets of money at it until it's fixed" method.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What jet turbine did they get for $900?
View Quote
Estes Model Rockets, probably.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"This also meant keeping defense contractors, which tend to move slowly and conservatively and with an eye for profit, out of the design process. "

Fuck you asshole...I'm a engineering defense contractor responsible for quoting/developing/delivering your POS design that may or may not be valid. I'm not slow and YOU NEED ME IN your design process.

Cunt.
View Quote
Sounds about right....
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Imagine that..Off the shelf parts and a.group of people who want to get down to brass tacks and engineer something rather than bullshitting away money while someone decides what color it has to be and what kind of acronym to name it.  Plus circumventing? the DoD procurement process is a very smart idea.  That is one of if not the biggest hold up these days.  Fucking takes forever to procure something and by the time you get it your timeline is so fucked it isn't even funny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Imagine that..Off the shelf parts and a.group of people who want to get down to brass tacks and engineer something rather than bullshitting away money while someone decides what color it has to be and what kind of acronym to name it.  Plus circumventing? the DoD procurement process is a very smart idea.  That is one of if not the biggest hold up these days.  Fucking takes forever to procure something and by the time you get it your timeline is so fucked it isn't even funny.
don't forget this part:

The team also assumed from the outset that their designs would fail, a lot. But it also knew it would learn from each failure and could quickly incorporate lessons learned. By the third launch, they had a working scramjet missile propulsion unit.
Could you imagine a DoD contractor betting a contract on, "well, let's just fuck up a few times and learn from it; eventually we'll get it right!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

Cunt.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cunt.
View Quote
Not for this project apparently.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cunt.
boom... Headshot!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lol with an attitude like that it would motivate a designer to seek his answers else where or solve the problems on their own. Engineers aren't magic and you aren't as special as you think you are.
View Quote
Actually, I'm pretty magical, special some say...and my customers love me...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure I know one of the engineers on that project.  The way the project was completed with a lack of bullshit is just that guy.  The last missile project he worked on was failing because the team leader would get drunk and fuck hookers, rather than try to produce a successful result.  He changed jobs from the missile place here to go out there.  
View Quote
I see that as an failure of multitasking more than anything else

Here's some old school US Navy ramjet cool for you all:  

Attachment Attached File

The RIM-8 Talos was a bad bitch in it's day.  

The surface-to-air versions also saw action in Vietnam, a total of three MiGs being shot down by Chicago and Long Beach. On May 23, 1968, a Talos fired from the USS Long Beach shot down a Vietnamese MiG at a range of about 65 miles. This was the first downing of a hostile aircraft by a missile fired from a ship. The hit also destroyed a second MiG which flew through the debris. In September 1968 Long Beach scored another MiG destroyed at a range of 61 miles. On May 9, 1972 the USS Chicago forward Talos battery scored a long-range kill on a MiG. [6] The Talos missile also had surface-to-surface capabilities.

In fact, the reason they moved away from it to the Standard had more to do with fitting the enormous launcher & magazine into a hull than any deficiency in the missile itself.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MRAP was procured and fielded quickly because, I'm told, basically every issue was responded to with "throw buckets of money at it until it's fixed" method.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MRAPs were mature technology, we had simply never procured them before.  SA had used them for years. US manufacturers could ramp up with very little R&D.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

if the job is anything like medical device engineers, all they do is take a design that cost $50 and somehow make it $5000.
View Quote
I assume that's pretty much like naval nuclear power; I'm just using a simple piece of 316 stainless pipe, but there's $87k in QC and chain of custody paperwork to prove that the pipe is exactly what it is supposed to be in every way, and not a knockoff from China or a parts mixup. We had to check out welding filler rods one at a time and tag them with a serial number.

I'm OK with that level of scrutiny for my new bionic parts
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#14]
What the article describes actually happens quite often in the National Research Labs/DARPA. I did that dozens of times. Considerable flexability in those environments.

Quoted:

Cunt.
View Quote
Unless you are doing ITAR, youre just fucking up designs and charging 100 times more for technology I already PROVED out through TRL 6...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MRAP was a special project, the top priority of Sec Gates, and was exempted from many of the stupid acquisition processes.

More money, less rules = faster results.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Could you imagine a DoD contractor betting a contract on, "well, let's just fuck up a few times and learn from it; eventually we'll get it right!"
View Quote
Most of them are that way, especially when working on a new missile design.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you asshole... YOU NEED ME IN your design process.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fcIMIyQnOso/hqdefault.jpg
I just saw this movie for the first time the other day, I'm disappointed I hadn't seen it sooner!

Your assessment of the situation seems accurate however.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called Agile. And it works.

http://www.stratpost.com/gripen-operational-cost-lowest-of-all-western-fighters-janes
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What jet turbine did they get for $900?
Estes Model Rockets, probably.
Don't see any $900 rocket engines at Estes.

That's got to be one big model rocket for a 900 engine.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top