Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/21/2017 9:24:43 PM EDT
Dual integrals, Lagrange multipliers, directional derivatives and the gradient vector. It's fucking me. Any advice from the hive?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick with it...then realize you'll likely never use it again  
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea what any of those are, so good luck sounds painful.  I still remember how much I hated taking statistics in school.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Switch to a business related degree
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember doing integrals and calculating the volume of cylinders with the shell method.  However, I would have to relearn all that crap after 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Magnitude & direction OP...

...magnitude & direction
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Tutor all you can. Don't do homework alone, do it with a buddy, hopefully a smart one, or a tutor. Your teacher may do after hours and such as well.  

I still dropped out and changed degrees.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol.

You'll never use it again. Except for all the times you'll use it again between now and graduation.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Do your homework in groups, lead the group even if your not sure what's going on.

Don't use the answer book, if you don't get it life is harder in later classes (diff eq.)
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stick with it...then realize you'll likely never use it again  
View Quote
He's right about this one.  If you do ever use it again, you will either be a professor or make fat bank.

calc 1, took 3 attempts, 2 took 2, 3 took 1, diff equations 1.  I suspect you could do a bar chart on my party to study ratio based o this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Last time I used it was when doing Laplace transforms in senior design controls class, over 20 years ago.

In real life, unless you're in research or going for an advanced degree, you can use MathCAD or something similar.

I do a bit of regression and linear programming these days, but I still use excel or mini tab.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Stick with it and don't give up.

My career in technology is dying now (20+ years post graduating) because I don't have the math chops.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Green's Theorem makes it all better.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Last time I used it was when doing Laplace transforms in senior design controls class, over 20 years ago.

In real life, unless you're in research or going for an advanced degree, you can use MathCAD or something similar.

I do a bit of regression and linear programming these days, but I still use excel or mini tab.
View Quote
I'm doing Laplace transforms now in process and systems dynamics class. It's actually kind of making sense now, though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dual integrals, Lagrange multipliers, directional derivatives and the gradient vector. It's fucking me. Any advice from the hive?
View Quote
Hit it harder. Seriously, it's one of those things that, if not naturally intuitive, you just have to do over and over until it is.

Linear algebra was the only class I ever failed. When I took it again I allocated three times the study/practice time and aced it.

Especially if most math comes easily to you and integral calculus doesn't, do it more.

Practice, practice, practice.

Never used the stuff after that class.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to a library and get a calculus book from the 50s or 60s.

We did that in college, and wow! Those old books did such a better job of explaining the concepts and relating them to the problems.

Also, study in a group if you can.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Use Wolfram Alpha or a TI 89 to help work through homework and practice problems.  You have to visualize what is happening in a 3d coordinate plane before it can make sense.  You can't memorize algorithms to get through it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL. yes yes, let the suck consume you.

Bask in the anxiety of waiting for that next exam. Long for that WTF at question one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#18]
push, push, push through it.

The grade is not a big deal, but you must pass and get the BS degree

You will not make less than 100k working for someone else in a few years if you keep pushing on and get that BS degree..

You may not use calculus directly, but it taught you how to think logically, understand what can be done, and that is the key to the BS field.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
GD is a math safe space.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
YouTube.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm graduating with a BS in Mech E in 5 months. I don't remember how to do any of that stuff, though I do recall learning it. Sounds hard!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
GD is a math safe space.
View Quote
So you think.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#23]
i hated calc 3 with a seething passion during my undergrad.

i am doing a masters now and everything "clicks" better.

the pain is part of getting better at analytical thinking
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i hated calc 3 with a seething passion during my undergrad.

i am doing a masters now and everything "clicks" better.

the pain is part of getting better at analytical thinking
View Quote
This is what you are really learning - analytical thinking. This is why employers will pay you more, because with analytical thinking you can do more.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#25]
If I had it to do all over again, I would have pursued a career that required me to use Integral Calculus very frequently. Two reasons:

1. The time I spent learning it wouldn't have been wasted. Seriously, I couldn't test out of it now you put a gun to my head. I've forgotten all of it. "Your brain is a muscle" as they say, and it does atrophy. 
2. The number of people who still know how to do it 15+ years removed from college (and can't be bothered to teach it) are very few in number. For certain professions, this makes you one very valuable motherfucker. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm doing Laplace transforms now in process and systems dynamics class. It's actually kind of making sense now, though.
View Quote
I've worked in the chemical industry for 8 years now... NOBODY uses that shit. And for what its worth, I use calculus about once every 2 years once I've exhausted all other avenues.

For instance, about 4 years ago I needed to develop a formula to determine the amount of bulk solid contained inside an oddly shaped bin varied by the height of the pile which could be measured by dip stick. By taking all the external measurements (custom welded vessel) and using the angle of repose for the material, I used my calculus III to derive the function for the radar level transmitter. Better experience than anything the math professor attempted in college, someday I'll pay it forward and guest lecture at a local community college or something.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#27]
That one was easy compared to my advanced statistics class although I hated calc.  I think mathematical modeling (basically coming up with mathematical formulas to describe stuff you observe in the real world) was my favorite.

I use none of it in real life occasionally I use some computer math stuff like simple math in different base number system lime binary or octal but rarely.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Integral Calculus is Calc 2, right? I took Calc 3. It's what convinced me to change from an engineering degree to a business degree.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#29]
My son passed Physical Chemistry and is hopefully going to pass Quantum Chemistry.  He's had 5 calculus classes and is still struggling.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I work in graphics software. I single handedly changed the display scheme in a new product we were developing. I take 3d boundary curves and map them into 2d parameteric range. For periodic surfaces like spheres and cones, the boundaries in 2d may be open with endpoints on the parametric rectangle if they cross the parameter seam. For these open curves, i close them with pieces fron the parametric rectangle to make them closed. Now the closed boundaries divide the rectangular region into parts of the surface we want to keep, and parts we want to discard. I use LINE INTEGRALS and GREENS THEOREM to find the area enclosed by a closed 2d boubdary curve. Based on the sign of the integral, i use a hardware accelerated method to fill the polygons with essentially "keep" or "discard" color. Once the png is produced this way, one merely has to apply this texture to an ordinary grid mesh.

It made our rendering 1000 times faster and about halved the memory used by a honest constrained tessellation. I got big monies out of that.

Fuck anyone who says you won't use integral calculus.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Go see the TA every week, get a tutor, etc.
Calculus will destroy your will to live, only for Differential Equations to fuck your corpse.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Stick with it and don't give up.

My career in technology is dying now (20+ years post graduating) because I don't have the math chops.
View Quote
@FourSigmasBelow

Care to elaborate? Only if you don't mind posting more than once every three years.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My son passed Physical Chemistry and is hopefully going to pass Quantum Chemistry.  He's had 5 calculus classes and is still struggling.
View Quote
PChem was HORRIBLE. I barely passed that stuff. All greek. Tell him to rough it out, he won't need it again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If I had it to do all over again, I would have pursued a career that required me to use Integral Calculus very frequently. Two reasons:

1. The time I spent learning it wouldn't have been wasted. Seriously, I couldn't test out of it now you put a gun to my head. I've forgotten all of it. "Your brain is a muscle" as they say, and it does atrophy. 
2. The number of people who still know how to do it 15+ years removed from college (and can't be bothered to teach it) are very few in number. For certain professions, this makes you one very valuable motherfucker. 
View Quote
I learn math very quickly. But then I forget it fast if I don't use it. If I could do integral calculus for a living (that wasn't a teaching job) I'd do it for sure.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Get the Schaum's books, do a question, then follow along with the breakdown to see where you went wrong.

And Khan Academy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
The problem today is that computing power is cheap and numerical methods are sufficient enough that software handles most calculations. The change in thinking is huge though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#38]
if you dread doing it, you will do poorly. Practice by working problems is the key to success.
When I was able to mentally view it as a game and learn the rules, it wasn't as much work practicing which translated into good grades.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I work in graphics software. I single handedly changed the display scheme in a new product we were developing. I take 3d boundary curves and map them into 2d parameteric range. For periodic surfaces like spheres and cones, the boundaries in 2d may be open with endpoints on the parametric rectangle if they cross the parameter seam. For these open curves, i close them with pieces fron the parametric rectangle to make them closed. Now the closed boundaries divide the rectangular region into parts of the surface we want to keep, and parts we want to discard. I use LINE INTEGRALS and GREENS THEOREM to find the area enclosed by a closed 2d boubdary curve. Based on the sign of the integral, i use a hardware accelerated method to fill the polygons with essentially "keep" or "discard" color. Once the png is produced this way, one merely has to apply this texture to an ordinary grid mesh.

It made our rendering 1000 times faster and about halved the memory used by a honest constrained tessellation. I got big monies out of that.

Fuck anyone who says you won't use integral calculus.
View Quote
See? This is what I was talking about earlier. I wish I had pursued a career that required me to actually use it. I wouldn't have forgotten all of it. 

Without being too exact (I don't want or need to be up in your business)...how much can a guy like you expect to earn salary wise, say...10 years after graduation? And how confident are you that you'll always be employable until say...age 65? 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Integral calculus is the basis of all tree volumetric equations as a tree is essentially a cylinder, and in order to determine the volume of that space you must create and model equations using integrations.  

Don't ask me to do it now, 20 years later, but I do still remember how to do derivatives.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The problem today is that computing power is cheap and numerical methods are sufficient enough that software handles most calculations. The change in thinking is huge though.
View Quote
Somebody has to write that software...
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Is that some kind of asian language?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I learn math very quickly. But then I forget it fast if I don't use it. If I could do integral calculus for a living (that wasn't a teaching job) I'd do it for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought I learned math quickly too. Then I hit real analysis. A totally different level.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Start a new thread.

Post one of these

Realize that you came to the wrong place to talk about calculus.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Somebody has to write that software...
View Quote
Yes. But numerical methods are a different game.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Math.

Not even once.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Start a new thread.

Post one of these
http://i.imgur.com/BEOnQ9K.jpg

View Quote
PEMDAS threads (as I've come to call them) frequently run 20+ pages of arguing. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
PChem was HORRIBLE. I barely passed that stuff. All greek. Tell him to rough it out, he won't need it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my curriculum, we took PChem the semester before differential equations.
Once DiffEq came around, it was "holy shit, P Chem makes sense!" but DiffEq still raped us.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Start a new thread.

Post one of these
http://i.imgur.com/BEOnQ9K.jpg

I don't like Aunt Sally...
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Those rap stars that make more in year than you will make in your lifetime are no where as bad ass you... those bitches and hoes will be along shortly..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top