Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
Nothing
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowboundinNH] [#2]
Originally Posted By my2Dogs:
does the timing belt on an 06 sportage really need to be changed at 60K?

the one we have is just at 57K
View Quote
I worked at a Hyundai dealer back in the 90's when they still used Mitsubishi engines. Warranty called for timing belt replacement at 50,000 miles. They were notorious for snapping at 51,000.

Out of warranty Flat rate paid 23 hours to swap out the engine. I got it down to a science so could do one in 8. My best month I swapped 42 engines on top of all my other repairs and maintenance tickets. Those cars were a goldmine.

The air intake was too low as well, so during the rainy spring (in New England) they'd suck water through the intake which usually put a connecting rod or two through the engine block. I'll never forget my Service Manager arguing with the mother of some kid who did just that. She was adamant he didn't drive through any flooded areas. I brought the water soaked air filter to the front counter and my Service Manager quoted that line from Risky Business as he wrung the filter out soaking the floor, "So who's the U-Boat commander?"

OK, a little off-topic. Back to Kia...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By P400:
Are you worried about Hyundai peeing on you to establish dominance?
View Quote
Hyundai established dominance when they bought 51% of the company back in 1998.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:48:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#4]
Originally Posted By Boilerkj:
2 things:
'11 Sorento SX AWD, 92k miles
1. The dealer is always telling me I need the trans flushed but the manual specifically states its a closed system and no maintenance is required.  I generally assume the techs are just trying to get my money so I ignore them and do as much maint as I can myself.  Do I really need to do it?

2.  My Sirius radio is constantly cutting out to 'Acquiring Signal'.  I've tried troubleshooting in steps - replaced the rear antenna, no bueno; bypassed the internal wiring with a completely different (working) antenna, no bueno; I'm down to the head unit but I'm unwilling to pay Kia $100 to tell me its the head unit (which I feel like I've already diagnosed for them) and then pay $xxxx for a new one.  I've considered pulling it out and replacing it with something else.  But what's causing the Acquiring Signal issue?
View Quote
Audio unit malfunction, no one knows yet, you are not the only one with this issue, I think it's hardware related, in other words it's fucked, made a post about it on page 3

As far as the trans, do it, new manuals no longer say that, there were to many issues, every 60k flush it
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GracieMae:
I'm interested in a 2010-16 Optima - Sonata with the 2.0 or 2.0 turbo engine.

What should I look out for or know abut this generation & engines.

My 2004 Sonata 2.4 has 189k and need to start thinking about the future.
View Quote
For a 2.0 turbo make sure the turbo oil feed linseed are not leaking
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

reliable? enough so to have a 10 year 100k mile power train warranty

cheap yes, engines are primitive compared to competitors, we do not have any Variable valve lift tech, we only have variable valve timing, so no VTECH KICK IN action
View Quote
That's gods way of telling you to install a turbo.

My last rental was some new hatchback Kia with an auto but had paddleshifters that would actually allow you to engine brake, had some pep, and handled very well.  Dunno if they have that model here in the US but it surprised me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By OKSoda:

That's gods way of telling you to install a turbo.

My last rental was some new hatchback Kia with an auto but had paddleshifters that would actually allow you to engine brake, had some pep, and handled very well.  Dunno if they have that model here in the US but it surprised me.
View Quote
We have a 1.6L turbo, with a 7 speed dual clutch, in the soul and Forte, pretty sweet
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
How long will my daughters '16 Soul (bigger engine) last?

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]

We have a 1.6L turbo, with a 7 speed dual clutch, in the soul and Forte, pretty sweet
View Quote
Is there a boost gauge?  If so do you happen to know what max boost is?  Wastegate or boost controller?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
How long will my daughters '16 Soul (bigger engine) last?

View Quote
Hmm mmmmmm, 15 years
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My 2014 Optima SX-T is about to hit 20,000 miles. Anything I should be worried about? It's got the "fancy" glass roof.

Only current issue is a portion of the driver taillight no longer illuminates.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Da's really taken w/ the $9k(?) discount on the '16 hybrids.  Whose technology are you using?  Toyota's, Honda's, Ford's, your own?  Are they worth anything & do they have auto lane control in the '16's?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Goosemaster:
Is there enough room in the trunk for more than one dead hooker?
View Quote
Whole or in parts?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By OKSoda:

Is there a boost gauge?  If so do you happen to know what max boost is?  Wastegate or boost controller?
View Quote
Don't know max boost it goes by voltage not psi or bar, we don't have a traditional wastegate per se, it's a electric actuator
More accurate control that way
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#15]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Da's really taken w/ the $9k(?) discount on the '16 hybrids.  Whose technology are you using?  Toyota's, Honda's, Ford's, your own?  Are they worth anything & do they have auto lane control in the '16's?
View Quote
Kia and Hyundai use their own proprietary hybrid technology not Toyota not ford, completely in house, they are pretty neat, as far as Lane control I do not exactly know off the top of my head
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, is it possible to get the speed to show up in the map display on a '16 or '17 Optima? I want how fast I'm going to show up on the moving map portion as well as the center display of the instrument cluster.

Also, what's the procedure I need to follow to use the talk option to my navigation screen? I don't want to scroll or type anything in. I want to say "Find me Spring Street" or something like that. The salesguy showed us how to do it but that was a while ago.

What's the mileage that the timing belt needs to be changed for a 2007 Tucson?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By scorpion12:
OP, is it possible to get the speed to show up in the map display on a '16 or '17 Optima? I want how fast I'm going to show up on the moving map portion as well as the center display of the instrument cluster.

Also, what's the procedure I need to follow to use the talk option to my navigation screen? I don't want to scroll or type anything in. I want to say "Find me Spring Street" or something like that. The salesguy showed us how to do it but that was a while ago.

What's the mileage that the timing belt needs to be changed for a 2007 Tucson?
View Quote
As far as speed on the navigation map screen I do not know

I believe it is the Bluetooth speaking control button on the steering wheel should look like a little face with noise waves coming out of its mouth

Alot of the belts are 60 to 90k with a oem belt, check your manual
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Killed In Action

That's what I think every time I see one on the road.  I guess if it's stolen before it dies, it will be a MIA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By engineer2001:
Killed In Action

That's what I think every time I see one on the road.  I guess if it's stolen before it dies, it will be a MIA.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]
What's the deal with my '12 sportage transmission? The rpm's drift up and back down on acceleration/shifts and periodically it misses and revs up to 5k even during mild acceleration. 

Is this a common issue? My dealership said everything seemed normal. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#21]
Originally Posted By JonnyVain:
What's the deal with my '12 sportage transmission? The rpm's drift up and back down on acceleration/shifts and periodically it misses and revs up to 5k even during mild acceleration. 

Is this a common issue? My dealership said everything seemed normal. 
View Quote
Weird, if it were me I would reset adaptive values, and go from there, fluid level, temperature switch, would have to see in person
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:09:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JonnyVain] [#22]

Weird, if it were me I would reset adaptive values, and go from there, fluid level, temperature switch, would have to see in person
View Quote
How do you reset? I unplugged the battery already, didn't help. 

I saw your previous post about fluid at 60k. I'm at about 75k so maybe I'll do that. 

Eta: found this

Pdf

Looks like the rest requires a trip to the dealer. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JonnyVain:
How do you reset? I unplugged the battery already, didn't help. 

I saw your previous post about fluid at 60k. I'm at about 75k so maybe I'll do that. 

Eta: found this

Pdf

Looks like the rest requires a trip to the dealer. 
View Quote
Pretty much yes.. sorry
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm really enamored with the Elantra Sport that just came out.  Is there something similar for KIA?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By knifewrench:
I'm really enamored with the Elantra Sport that just came out.  Is there something similar for KIA?
View Quote
Forte 5 door turbo, or a Optima turbo
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:08:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RevolverRO] [#26]
KM450

C'mon, Pony.

They could bring them here, I know they could...Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#27]
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:
KM450

C'mon, Pony.

They could bring them here, I know they could...https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95225/IMG-1454-171513.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95225/IMG-1455-171515.JPG
View Quote
It would be nice if we could get some of those

I want a K131

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Another glorious day at Kia.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#29]
A friend at the KIA dealer told me KIA is getting ready to intorduce a pick up truck.
Hush Hush " Dont tell any one OK "
Is this true
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Why did my wife's Optima throw a rod through the block and cause the entire engine to be replaced at 18k miles?  Kias are pieces of shit, can't name the number of recalls or repairs that have needed to be done to that car.  Had to replace the entire shifting console, ball joints had to be replaced at like 30k.  Even the button for the damn gas cap had to be fixed.  Luckily it was all covered under warranty, but still a shit car.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:52:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#31]
Originally Posted By 9milebank:
A friend at the KIA dealer told me KIA is getting ready to intorduce a pick up truck.
Hush Hush " Dont tell any one OK "
Is this true
View Quote
Have not heard anything

I doubt it especially with the chicken tax still in effect
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:56:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#32]
Originally Posted By Stick4242:
Why did my wife's Optima throw a rod through the block and cause the entire engine to be replaced at 18k miles?  Kias are pieces of shit, can't name the number of recalls or repairs that have needed to be done to that car.  Had to replace the entire shifting console, ball joints had to be replaced at like 30k.  Even the button for the damn gas cap had to be fixed.  Luckily it was all covered under warranty, but still a shit car.
View Quote
Sounds like you got a transitional period car. They had some issues, that tiny gap between old and new kia is rough.

Some of the rods in the 2.4 engines had air pockets in the rods, honda had a issue like that one time, ... and they had rod bolts not tight, everyone has issues at some point
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:58:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#33]
98 kia Sofia came in, I've not seen one of those since I was a kid.

So crude.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#34]
How well do the turbo Optimas hold up with high mileage? I commute 500 miles a week and I'm thinking about a used 2011+ to run the wheels off of.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:20:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#35]
Originally Posted By pdb27127:
How well do the turbo Optimas hold up with high mileage? I commute 500 miles a week and I'm thinking about a used 2011+ to run the wheels off of.
View Quote
I would use synthetic oil, change oil every 5k, and have the turbo oil feed lines checked regularly at the dealer, once they get to about 60k miles they can leAK or fail, it's a known potential issue.

And change the trans fluid every 60k
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#36]

I would use synthetic oil, change oil every 5k, and have the turbo oil feed lines checked regularly at the dealer, once they get to about 60k miles they can leAK or fail, it's a known potential issue.

And change the trans fluid every 60k
View Quote
Is changing the trans fluid doable for a shadetree mechanic, or is there some complicated "level the car at a specific temperature at the right phase of the moon" voodoo that only the dealer can do? What's the highest mileage you've seen on an SX?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#37]
My GF is very happy with her Forte hatchback. Bought it new about 5 years ago and no problems.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#38]
So I have a 2010 Optima, pretty bare bones with the 4 cylinder with 62,000 miles on it. Just put a new set of brakes and rotors all around. Anything else I need to watch for or recommended preventative maintenance?  Everything has been good on it so far and I would like to keep it up and running as long as I can. 

Thanks again for this thread. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By pdb27127:

Is changing the trans fluid doable for a shadetree mechanic, or is there some complicated "level the car at a specific temperature at the right phase of the moon" voodoo that only the dealer can do? What's the highest mileage you've seen on an SX?
View Quote
I'd say the dealer, unless you have an inline trans flush machine which is easily several thousand dollars
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lawle102:
So I have a 2010 Optima, pretty bare bones with the 4 cylinder with 62,000 miles on it. Just put a new set of brakes and rotors all around. Anything else I need to watch for or recommended preventative maintenance?  Everything has been good on it so far and I would like to keep it up and running as long as I can. 

Thanks again for this thread. 
View Quote
Trans flush in probably few other fluid flushes since it's just passed 60k
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#41]
any one got any more questions today?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Tag for interests because I'm in the market for a reliable used car with low mileage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought a 06 Spectra EX out of high school because it was the only thing I could get financed.  It's sitting outside with 225K on it and I've treated it bad. Like nothing besides cheap walmart oil changes every 7-8k miles bad. I drive it everywhere I can to keep the wear and tear off my other vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#44]
If Kia made a true small pickup(not the midsize stuff that the Taco and Colorado have become, plus the Ranger due out later a couple years) at a very bare bones price about 2k more than a subcompact, you would rape the market. I'm serious. A regular cab pickup with a I4 turbodiesel from Europe, for 17k.

Do it.

Make it.

Fucking bank.

(Send commission check to me please)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#45]
My dad bought new in 1995 the original Kia sephia.  

Thing went well over 200k miles and he only changed the oil every 50k or so.

Then my sister took it to big O for an oil change.  They didn't torque the plug.

Lost oil.  Motor ruined.

Big O replaced motor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#46]
gods help me I have to do a 1000 dollars worth of work on a gods forsaken Daewoo
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#47]
The rifle's now worth more than the car!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
The rifle's now worth more than the car!
View Quote
Pretty much
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Ugh the parts I'm putting on this car are worth more then the car it self
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:01:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#50]
Would it be worth finding the Kia factory cat back exhaust on this..and other crap to rally car it out....its loud with the intake on it

And gas mileage has gone from a good 38 avg to 32 after I crested 70k...

Since the pic won't upload its a 13'rio hatch..6 speed..
Page / 99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top