User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah it's like a $6k difference.  Too close to not do this.  And when I add the data center to the Fanuc we're $4k difference.  Morris is not making much on the machine.
View Quote
Now ask for the Cherry on top: Have them include Okuma service to come back after 1 year to verify machine leveling and do an overall checkup.

Even on 14" slab our machine had settled some and a few tweaks brought it right back to where it needed to be. ( MC4-VAE-HS)
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Morris got the PO today for the Okuma...  so my search is over.  They included 2 year warranty, but I didn't ask about re-checking level - I may still ask if that is an option...  

I've got to clean up the area, actually would really like to epoxy the floor in the machine shop - but they're shipping end of month so I am not sure I'll have time.

Both Kitamura's sold too.  The same guy who bought the 3xi on eBay also wants the 4 that is damaged.  $20k for the pair.  Good deal for both of us.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Morris got the PO today for the Okuma...  so my search is over.  They included 2 year warranty, but I didn't ask about re-checking level - I may still ask if that is an option...  

I've got to clean up the area, actually would really like to epoxy the floor in the machine shop - but they're shipping end of month so I am not sure I'll have time.

Both Kitamura's sold too.  The same guy who bought the 3xi on eBay also wants the 4 that is damaged.  $20k for the pair.  Good deal for both of us.
View Quote
Oh and he sticks the landing!!!

Nicely done.

Go get your lube list and get fluids coming.  There are only a few sources for that grease.

100 amp service for 220v, that spindle lights up fuckin quick so in rush current is serious. I found a dying breaker for my bus bar when mine got installed.

Needs about 55 gals of coolant, good clean air.  Have Josh set it up, I think it was Josh....one of the Techs, good guy. Then have one of the Bills stop by and setup the Renishaw, actually if it was a demo machine its probably all setup. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh and he sticks the landing!!!

Nicely done.

Go get your lube list and get fluids coming.  There are only a few sources for that grease.
View Quote
PM me.

I can get you in contact with a lubricant engineer for fluids and greases.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

PM me.

I can get you in contact with a lubricant engineer for fluids and greases.
View Quote
I have a shell guy, crossed everything except the guideway grease.  It's a very light almost mineral oil based deal. I have a couple tubes.

ETA:  THK AFJ.  It is mineral oil based.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you recommend for a good coolant?  Steel/aluminum general purpose...  I don't like the stuff I had been using in the Kiti - it's a greenish color and smells fucking horrible.

I am happy as shit to have a machine that is not going to dump way oil into my coolant anymore.  That shit is a cesspool.  I like that clear stuff that smells good....  don't know the name brand though.

My bolster plates from the Kiti are really nice - I forget the name brand.  The counter sunk holes are different for the table t-slots.   Think I'd be better off selling them or just counter boring the mount holes for the Okuma table in them?

I've got a box full of 60x Kiti pull studs to sell off now too lol..  

I gotta do some research on epoxy floor coating - would be sweet to epoxy the area where the machine shop will be now...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of people swear by qualichem. I use hocut 795B. I'm pretty happy with it. Works great for tapping in all materials. It has a ton of oil in it, no rust problems at all.  You saw the finish in aluminum, I have one machine that I've been having a smell problem with. It doesn't run everyday so I think that's part of the problem. 

I try to run it between 6 and 8%, we check all the time with refractometers. The sump in the 560 hasnt been changed outright in over a year, just checked and maintained.  The lathes have hydrobars on them so they can't go as long.  We do skim the lathe sumps constantly. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Blaser swisslube isn't bad. The only thing I have against Hangsterfer is the non foaming options are limited and expensive. Then again, that was 7 or 8 years ago do maybe they got their shit together.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lots of people swear by qualichem. I use hocut 795B. I'm pretty happy with it. Works great for tapping in all materials. It has a ton of oil in it, no rust problems at all.  You saw the finish in aluminum, I have one machine that I've been having a smell problem with. It doesn't run everyday so I think that's part of the problem. 

I try to run it between 6 and 8%, we check all the time with refractometers. The sump in the 560 hasnt been changed outright in over a year, just checked and maintained.  The lathes have hydrobars on them so they can't go as long.  We do skim the lathe sumps constantly. 
View Quote
Ok yea I've heard Qualichem name out there - I'll check into it...  I wont be using the machine every day so I'll need to keep an eye on it.  I have a fish tank bubbler in the kiti lol - it works though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok yea I've heard Qualichem name out there - I'll check into it...  I wont be using the machine every day so I'll need to keep an eye on it.  I have a fish tank bubbler in the kiti lol - it works though.
View Quote
Yeah, I might need to come up with something like that.  I've been using the hocut for years and it's been great, this is a new problem. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What do you recommend for a good coolant?  Steel/aluminum general purpose...  I don't like the stuff I had been using in the Kiti - it's a greenish color and smells fucking horrible.

I am happy as shit to have a machine that is not going to dump way oil into my coolant anymore.  That shit is a cesspool.  I like that clear stuff that smells good....  don't know the name brand though.

My bolster plates from the Kiti are really nice - I forget the name brand.  The counter sunk holes are different for the table t-slots.   Think I'd be better off selling them or just counter boring the mount holes for the Okuma table in them?

I've got a box full of 60x Kiti pull studs to sell off now too lol..  

I gotta do some research on epoxy floor coating - would be sweet to epoxy the area where the machine shop will be now...
View Quote
I'll have an engineer contact you. Mental working fluids aren't my gig really.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I am a big fan of the qualichem products.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Zebra Coelescer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:02:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Zebra Coelescer.
View Quote
If you don't mind paying for it, this is the way to keep it unfunky.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#15]
We use Trim SC230. I don't notice any issues with it and we're have one machine that sits for months at a time. The water evaporates, coolant seems to stay so I just add water.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We use Trim SC230. I don't notice any issues with it and we're have one machine that sits for months at a time. The water evaporates, coolant seems to stay so I just add water.
View Quote
That can actually lead to problems with the coolant not mixing correctly in many (most?) cases. Add in .5-1% to make sure it emulsifies properly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That can actually lead to problems with the coolant not mixing correctly in many (most?) cases. Add in .5-1% to make sure it emulsifies properly.
View Quote
Interesting, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Blaser swisslube isn't bad. The only thing I have against Hangsterfer is the non foaming options are limited and expensive. Then again, that was 7 or 8 years ago do maybe they got their shit together.
View Quote
Swisslube is the tits, I think.

Every time I get tired of being oily, I got stick my head in our old Haas SL10 and take a whiff.

Grateful for another 30 days at least.

Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok so I got all my Kitamura pull studs off - probably going to ebay them...  

Need the Okuma style..  None of the documentation I've seen so far have the dimensions - anyone have a link to the spec sheet on them?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#20]
They may have different types machine specific.

Did you get through the tool coolant option, and if so was it DIN style through the flange or CAT style via hollow pull stud?

Might be able to get the specs from Kennametal web site.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I got thru spindle coolant..  Morris quoted "Velocity" pull studs at like $28 each

However comparing the drawing of them to others like at Maritool etc - they are slightly different...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
2000 vintage Kitamura Mycenter4.  Machine has kind of been a PITA for me since I've gotten it.  I've since also purchased a smaller Mycenter 3xi.  Both have pallet changers.

Anyway - my spindle smoked today on the My4.  I don't know yet what happened for sure, my guess a lubrication problem.  We did have a power failure today for 2 hours where the shop power went out, but I don't see how that could have caused a mechanical failure..  However there were no oil alarms present when it happened.

It was running a small endmill engraving aluminum at 10krpm.. lower bearings just fucking melted... it's a goner.

I am pretty sick of dealing with this machine - so - in your opinion, would you repair it, or would you look for something else - maybe a new machine?  I'd get rid of this, my My3 and my CNC turning center - trade in or sell as-is to put toward a good new machine.

Maybe a Haas VF3 or something a bit less expensive.  I don't run high volume production.  I do run steel a lot, but I don't need to run it at 4000ipm either... So i might be able to live with linear ways.  Both Kiti's are boxed way machines... Both Kit's are going to need an X ballscrew soon...and now the My4 spindle is toast...

Fix it or get rid of all that bullshit for a new machine that runs?
View Quote

You're a machinist???

Install new bearings...

What have you to lose????
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah I got thru spindle coolant..  Morris quoted "Velocity" pull studs at like $28 each

However comparing the drawing of them to others like at Maritool etc - they are slightly different...
View Quote
Ugh, the velocity brand is a morris thing. They will randomly call you and try to sell you stuff.  The machine comes with a bunch, at least a new machine does, if this was a demo they may have grown legs.  You may get a giant box full of parts, tools , cables and other accessories (even touch up paint) in the bottom of that box  you should find a clear plastic bag full of greased up pull studs.  They are a standard thing, I can pull up the spec at the shop tomorrow...er..later today. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Do not use blaser coolant. 20 years ago it was good, but not so much now. That stuff gets funky after a couple of days. Qualichem is the current favorite, though not cheap. I know what kind of lube you need but I forgot what it's called, DTE light by Mobil I think. It's super thin, almost has the viscosity of water.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're a machinist???

Install new bearings...

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do not use blaser coolant. 20 years ago it was good, but not so much now. That stuff gets funky after a couple of days. Qualichem is the current favorite, though not cheap. I know what kind of lube you need but I forgot what it's called, DTE light by Mobil I think. It's super thin, almost has the viscosity of water.
View Quote
Guideways grease,  tool magazine grease, oil for the spindle chiller, and spindle lube. The spindle lube crosses to shell tellus 32, which is a very light oil.  Needs to be, it's misted into the spindle bearing with high pressure air. If you turn the spindle by hand you can hear the sound of air flow around the bearings. 

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:37:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a machinist???

Install new bearings...

Obviously someone has never actually priced the cost of a real machine tools Spindle bearing set. Plus possibly 20hrs of install time, XX hrs of run in time, then if protcol requires it resetting the final bearing preload. One of our turning centers this required 4 days before machine was released back for production.

Even if the spindle is brought back to 100% OEM spec - the rest of the machine is... old
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Obviously someone has never actually priced the cost of a real machine tools Spindle bearing set. Plus possibly 20hrs of install time, XX hrs of run in time, then if protcol requires it resetting the final bearing preload. One of our turning centers this required 4 days before machine was released back for production.

Even if the spindle is brought back to 100% OEM spec - the rest of the machine is... old
View Quote
Yeah, not exactly the same as the bearings on your buddies skid steer.  

I rebuild lots of fussy things. But I don't rebuild spindles. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Bridgeport spindles sure.  10-15k spindles no thanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bridgeport spindles sure.  10-15k spindles no thanks.
View Quote
No kidding. Not to mention that most major machine tool builders build their spindles in a clean room.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No kidding. Not to mention that most major machine tool builders build their spindles in a clean room.
View Quote
Yeah.  I know just enough about ceramic bearings and the like to know I would just dick it up and be out the time and cost of parts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#32]
What a bunch of bearing Pussies!

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah my spindle rebuild quote price was around 10k... I think they do the entire thing such as grind the taper, pull-stud bushings and all that other spindle shit that I know nothing about lol... Price to fix spindle and oil mist unit was $15k, then another 10ish to re-pack the x and y ball screws... Not throwing that into an old machine...  I sold both - some Mexican CNC company bought the 3 and 4.  Had the 3 on eBay, made 5 grand on it..... Lost my ass on the 4, but the same guy who bought the 3 took the 4... I got 20k for the pair.  I'll take it and run.

Electric drops going in Monday-Wed for the new Genos, and a new drop for my Hwacheon turning center that I am fixing currently lol..  But I am pumped for the machine delivery!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#34]
MaxKool Ultra 414  Best stuff ever.  Light odor, great cutting capabilities.  I would look into Schaeffer for your other needs too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#35]
We had a dozen HWACHEON HI-ECO 10's setup in 4 machining cells of 3 turning centers and a Stabli Puma robot. First machine would do the datum end, second the non-datum end and the 3rd would do body profile between centers. Those machines ran 20/24 or 23/24 and just kept pumping out good parts. In 4 years the only part I know of requiring replacement on the HI-ECO 10's was an air pressure sensor switch, and I'm not even sure if that was a Hwacheeon part, or related to the robot interface.

Elsewhere in the shop was 9 Haas lathes set up the same way. The Haas were significantly slower (even being newer machines) and often down for repairs. Also there were 3 HAAS VMC's They broke down less often but when they failed they went big time.

8 Mazak's - Reliable as the sun rise, just seemed to be very temperature sensitive.

6 Okuma Turning centers (1 dual turret) - My favorites.

Lots of other equipment and misc CNC machines, stamping presses etc.

Was a great job - I loved it! Obama killed it. Now its all down in Emplame, Sonora, Mexico

I had a crew of 14 machine operators on day shift working 4 x 10hr shifts. My crew put out more good parts in 1 shift than the MX plant does in 1 week. ( running 2x 50hr shifts )

Who ever tries to tell me the US can't be competitive, I say B$, I have been to the foreign factories and most have trouble matching our quality at our productivity levels.

Edit: Enjoy your new toy. Okuma does have a few quirks - like work coordinates are G15 H## vrs g54-g59 and tool heights are G56 H## vrs G43 or G44 - Note some oddities can be adjusted via parameters, others are just a fact of Okuma life.  Oh BTW be sure to cancel G41|G42 with G40 before an M6 - or strange things can happen - like tool changer arm moving before machine is at proper Z height...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Unrelated but related - have any of you had luck using a standard ER32 collet for rigid taping versus an ERT32 "tap" collet w/ the square hole?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Unrelated but related - have any of you had luck using a standard ER32 collet for rigid taping versus an ERT32 "tap" collet w/ the square hole?
View Quote
Yeah, I have. The "tap" ones do work better though. Less problems with roll taps especially in my experience. Mostly, of course, in more difficult to tap things like sticky or tougher materials.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#38]
We use the standard ER32. Have noticed it's worth ordering the taps that OSGs website recommends too, if you have a couple days for them to come in. We're good about not thinking ahead since we inventory so much of everything.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've tapped thousands of holes using an ER32, works fine in aluminum and mild steel with proper lubrication up to 1/2"/13mm. Emuge specifically recommends against the ER series collets altogether though. On some jobs we run the Bilz tap drivers even when rigid tapping and experience better tap life, especially in sticky material.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I forgot I had this.  Here's a time lapse of our MCR going in.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/W251NRFp8ic[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Official machine arrival is this wed.  I wish I had the extra ching to clean up the machining area - I wanted to get like 1250 sq ft epoxied, but it wasn't in the budget.  I had a new 200a service panel put in which was needed, and am having a rigger set it, along with some new tooling...so floor took the back burner.  I'm pumped though!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#42]
You can always do the epoxy yourself.  I have good luck with Garon products.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah I am going to actually.  I was sick all weekend so I won't make it before the machine delivers, but I'll coat around it.  The floor in there sucks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#44]
My current situation

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This machine will break your wine glass

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#45]
lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice!  you're going to love it.  Congrats! 

Leave plenty of room behind it, need space to get the chip conveyor wrestled in there, and to be able to service it.  Oil res for the spindle is on the back along with some filters and ther service points.

ETA: looks like maybe they moved some components around....is that the spindle chiller in the center of the back side? Mine is spun 90 degrees and is on the left side as you look at the machine.  It appears they continue to make improvements, or at least changes.  I bet you have the one piece magazine door too....mine has been flawless but its a complicated mechanism.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I ran out of time and money to coat the floor - I had a new 200a sub panel installed, transformer etc.   Wiped out my spare cash, still need some for some new tooling... maybe I can do it in a few months, just have to coat around the machine.  Chip conveyor coming tomorrow morning.   Might be working on a deal for a chipblaster 1000psi.  Not 100% on that yet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I ran out of time and money to coat the floor - I had a new 200a sub panel installed, transformer etc.   Wiped out my spare cash, still need some for some new tooling... maybe I can do it in a few months, just have to coat around the machine.  Chip conveyor coming tomorrow morning.   Might be working on a deal for a chipblaster 1000psi.  Not 100% on that yet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326230/20170405-160840-181869.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326230/20170405-172119-181870.JPG
View Quote
Looks great! Almost time to make chips fly!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top