Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a fun project. Glad you got the polarity correct.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice find!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP,  Here's a Link to FDLE's Public Access stolen firearms check.

You can anonymously check the serial number to see if it has been reported stolen, if you care too.
View Quote
At least use VPN if checking it from home.

If not, go to a public library and use their computer. Wear some type of disguise too. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool thread
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
tag for later
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice find, in for the resto
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag to see progress on the electrolysis results
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a little surprised nobody has suggested looking around the same area for other personal effects. Dig under leaves, etc. Could have been a suicide or accidental death. Bones would likely be gone, but other stuff might have lasted and been left in place.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Doesn't that only work for firearms reported stolen in the state of Florida though ? Its not a national database.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can anonymously check the serial number to see if it has been reported stolen, if you care too.

Doesn't that only work for firearms reported stolen in the state of Florida though ? Its not a national database.

OP is in Florida
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OP is in Florida
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is in Florida
Because a stolen gun could never end up in another state. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because a stolen gun could never end up in another state. 
View Quote

Good point, which would make the FDLE site useless if it wasn't National, wouldn't it?

Anyone got a serial number for a stolen gun handy? Type it in, see what happens......

ETA

From the site; This database contains Florida stolen property information as reported to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement by law enforcement agencies throughout the state and authorized for release to the public.

Certainly limits it's usefulness, but many guns stolen do stay local, I would hazard a Wild Ass Guess that most do, based on my limited experience..

I recovered a stolen S&W M19 after 5 years, still in the same county, my best friend recovered an AMT Hardballer that someone walked into his garage and took off his workbench, still in the same county 5-6 years later. Had been fully customized as a long slide after being stolen, Sheriffs Office picked it up in a drug bust.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice! I would bet that it can be made to fire again.

I found a gun once while metal detecting.......

Fucking Rohm pot metal .38 but I did clean i up and put a few rounds through it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was it used in a crime? Could be the evidence that puts someone away. Or make a cold case hot again.
View Quote
How would they know it was used in a crime?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#14]
There's a member here I think his screen name is Ajax22.

He had a thread where he restored a severely rusted shut 1911 to working and firing condition.

Here's a link to his YouTube channel

Hope this helps, OP.

Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's the ticket.   I would do that then soak it in oil before attempting to move any parts.  (It will trash the remaining blue FWIW.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's the ticket.   I would do that then soak it in oil before attempting to move any parts.  (It will trash the remaining blue FWIW.)

This is exactly what you need to do. It will blow your mind how well this removes the rust.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That was me as a youngin'
View Quote

I was hiking one day..had my stainless Vaquero [.45 colt] in a holster on my hip...I had forgotten to attached the thong over the hammer...I got up from a sitting position and was ready to head down the trail when my hiking partner pointed out my Vaquero laying on the ground....now, imagine that happening with a blued handgun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was hiking one day..had my stainless Vaquero [.45 colt] in a holster on my hip...I had forgotten to attached the thong over the hammer...I got up from a sitting position and was ready to head down the trail when my hiking partner pointed out my Vaquero laying on the ground....now, imagine that happening with a blued handgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was me as a youngin'

Many moons ago a friend and I were trail riding on horseback and I was carrying a Ruger Mark 1 with an AMT 6" Stainless bull barrel on it in a holster. We came to a place where we had to use a road bridge to cross over a Turnpike,so in order to avoid exciting the Natives, I removed the gun & Holster and put them in a saddlebag.

When we were clear of the roads and people, I went to put the Gun back on my belt, and it was gone.

The seam of the saddlebag had let go, dropping it's contents out the bottom.

Went back and looked for hours, no luck. Probably dropped as we galloped over the bridge and was picked up by a passing motorist.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It belongs to Spain.
View Quote

And they want it back. They're talking to the State Department right now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How many hours should I do the  Electrolytic bath? I have it set for 2 hours atm.
View Quote
Woo! I'm glad you're doing it. 2-6hrs should do it as long as there's not any thick caked rust. Once it comes out you'll want to scrub it with a stiff brush, there will be crumbly black oxide. Many people use brass but I had a brass brush leave brass on the finish. Then oil! Best part is you didn't actually remove any metal restoring it this way. Just just.

The really bad guns that can't be disassembled go in whole, then after loosing up the parts get rewired and put in separate one per wire.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#20]
In.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OP is in Florida
View Quote

I know, and there is no guarantee the gun couldn't be listed missing in the national database originating in Alabama or Texas and brought to Florida by a criminal correct?

That website is a neat tool, but I was under the impression it only lists guns that were stolen in Florida and report taken by Florida authorities. I am not sure how at ease I'd be from that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Subbed
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Checked on it after a few hours, looks good so far. Took most of the surface rust off. Still won't open. Gonna let it sit over night.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Checked on it after a few hours, looks good so far. Took most of the surface rust off. Still won't open. Gonna let it sit over night.

http://i.imgur.com/mCe6gLC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/00Uyqm0.jpg
View Quote

That looks fantastic!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#25]
1940 Colt Woodsman?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:07:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1940 Colt Woodsman?
View Quote

apparently its a 1954 model, the S on the serial number was so rusted over i couldnt see it before giving it the bath.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:16:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Pretty cool, OP
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/VZtWRHx.jpg

I'll leave mine here so you can have some reference to work towards
View Quote

That gun is absolutely stunning, sir
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:34:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:36:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Magazine is stuck too, I'm guessing? Will the follower stud on it move?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:44:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Neat anna bump...!

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:59:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Magazine is stuck too, I'm guessing? Will the follower stud on it move?
View Quote

Yep magazine is very stuck still.

Follower stud moves nicely though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:18:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Very cool. Congrats OP. 
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like the slide safety is engaged .
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How many hours should I do the  Electrolytic bath? I have it set for 2 hours atm.
View Quote

Fyi, electrolysis is a line of sight rust removal so it will not do anyyhing internal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/lambertiana/BB3/IMG_0944.jpg

resin soaked pine wood. Shave it into dust and it takes a spark almost instantly.

i like hoarding it for camping
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice find, that was one of my grail guns until I gave up trying to find a nice one and settled on High Standards.

What the hell is "fat wood"? Inquiring desert-rat minds want to know.

Fatwood, also known as "fat lighter," "lighter wood," "rich lighter," "pine knot," [1] "lighter knot," "heart pine" or "lighter'd" [sic], is derived from the heartwood of pine trees. This resin-impregnated heartwood becomes hard and rot-resistant. The stump (and tap root) left in the ground after a tree has fallen or has been cut is an excellent source of fatwood. Other locations, such as the joints where limbs intersect the trunk, can also be harvested. Although most resinous pines can produce fatwood, in the southeastern United States the wood is commonly associated with longleaf pine (Pinus palustris), which historically was highly valued for its high pitch production.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/lambertiana/BB3/IMG_0944.jpg

resin soaked pine wood. Shave it into dust and it takes a spark almost instantly.

i like hoarding it for camping

That stuff is awesome for starting fires.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#37]
This is a fantastic thread!

I don't know how many holes I've dug with a metal detector, but I've never found anything that cool!

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Fascinating thread. Very cool. After the electrolysis to remove rust and corrosion. Soak in Kroil to help unstick it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Cool thread! Sub'd.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Now I really want one of these
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Cool thread. Keep the pictures coming.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#42]
What a great thread!

I wonder how in the world that beauty got left out there!!??
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
At least use VPN if checking it from home.

If not, go to a public library and use their computer. Wear some type of disguise too. 
View Quote

Yeah, make SURE you have a good fake ID, 'cause your not getting on the PC without it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Damn nice find OP and looks like it'll open up given some time and gentle persuasion.
Kroil & Marvel Mystery Oil  are both excellent soaks.
Give it a day or so and then some light taps with a non marring hammer. Rinse..repeat. Sooner or later you'll get movement.
As someone mentioned the electrolysis is a "line of sight" thing.
Once you get to the internals give them all the treatment individually.
Keep the photos coming of your progress & good luck!
Consider taking a metal detector back to the site. You might unearth a few more clues surrounding it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much you want to bet one of the envious "you betta turn dat in to da poleece!!" members is running that serial # through NCIC right now...
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Did you bring it to the CSI lab so they can macro scan the barrel for imbedded 22lr lead dna with their holograph touch screen super computer? Might get a match in the international .22lr serial killer data base.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#47]
This is Awesome OP! I'm in for the progress!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice hope it fired again!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How much you want to bet one of the envious "you betta turn dat in to da poleece!!" members is running that serial # through NCIC right now...
View Quote

That would be inappropriate use of the system and could get one in trouble.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I've seen suggestions to sok in kerosene, Kroil, and Marvel mystery oil. Diesel fuel will work as well as kerosene if you have some around. I've never tried it but I keep hearing that ATF mixed 50% with acetone is an excellent penetrating oil.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top