BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought about joining back in 1980 at the tender age of 20. I didn't do authority well and still don't like people telling me what to do so I made a wise decision not to join.
View Quote

I've never read anything like that in one of these threads. Would you have knocked out the Drill Instructor?

(In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't join because I didn't want to.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You're not too old.........there's still time.

I joined the Army at 29. 19D Cav Scout.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Look on the bright side. You still have all your limbs.
View Quote
and even though you didn't pull the trigger, you still aren't an MP
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Not the Marines but I joined the Navy at 19 years old and spent 6 years in. I made E-6 in 5 years and my ship was shocked when I told them I was getting out. I got out to go to college because that was my plan all along.
OP, the only reason you should have any regret is if you pissed away the past 10 years doing nothing constructive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.” – John Greenleaf Whittier.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have problems, but I don't have this problem.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Life is strange.

Sometimes you take the road that goes left and sometimes you take the one headed right.

It's fun at times to do the "what if" game.

Reflection, we all do it as we get older.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know my Marine buddy did not get what he originally signed up to do.
View Quote

I was guaranteed my MOS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, you never know... with the advances in stopping age and age reversing, you might get your chance in 20-30 years from now. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Mrs and I talked to an army recruiter this weekend.  And we're both older than OP.

View Quote

Married couples joining never last!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Married couples joining never last!
View Quote

TRUTH!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's not too late at 29 years old.
View Quote

28 and I'm at a point in my life that would not fit well with that life. (married and trying for a kid)

I have thought about the National Guard though, I wouldn't have to relocate.

Sure a deployment is possible, but that would be strongly preferred to relocation of my family. My wife's family is here along with her work, I don't see her moving.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My senior year of HS, I was debating on joining the Marine Corps after graduation, the recruiter there had just about talked me into joining as an MP, but after awhile I decided against it. Actually I didn't, I just never made up my mind to do it...

Anyway, the conversation came up yesterday with a few USMC vets in the family and it had me thinking out of pure curiosity, if I had joined in the summer or early fall of 2006 as an MP, where would I likely have ended up, and what would I have been doing?

Knowing myself well enough, I'm sure so would have asked for some type of deployment if the opportunity arose (assuming that I wasn't already) but I admittedly know squat about MPs and I'm glad that I didn't join as one.

Armor would have been more my speed looking back.
View Quote
You would've made a good General.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, assuming you weren't a fuck up, you would probably be a Staff Sergeant. That means, you would be assigning a Sergeant or Corporal to oversee a bunch of non-rates to sweep gravel, paint rocks, and shine brass. Before the unit secures for the day, you would mosey on out and pick that shit apart because that's what you do.
Until then, you would sit in the office and write bad FitReps while chain smoking and drinking coffee by the gallon while brown nosing Top (Master Sergeant).
 Once secured for the day, you would go to the Staff Club and drink till it closed and then go home and look back on the day and wonder how you can improve your "being a dick" skill.

Welcome to The Suck.
View Quote

This just reinforced my belief that I made the right choice, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
it had me thinking out of pure curiosity, if I had joined...
View Quote

I'm glad I will never have that thought. Carpe diem.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I often wonder the opposite. I wonder where my life may have gone if I didn't enlist in 04. Probably really lame and boring.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've never read anything like that in one of these threads. Would you have knocked out the Drill Instructor?

(In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't join because I didn't want to.)
View Quote

I doubt it, but he could have just been miserable for four years, never made rank, just said "fuck it" over every assignment, and just counted the days until his enlistment was over. Some people just don't dig the service.

Me, I tried grew up in a military family, tried to go the ROTC route, couldn't hack it because of physical problems, and years latter realized the only reason I even tried it was because of unresolved daddy issues. I'm glad I tried, but doubt I would have enjoyed the service life. It's not for everyone and in retrospect I realize just how much I wouldn't have been a fit for the environment.

And even if the OP had gone in, or I had gone in, neither of us would be the same man we are today. I'm glad to have had the experiences I ended up having, if for or no other reason, than the bit of self-realization I did end up with.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was guaranteed my MOS
View Quote

MOS or field?

Anywho, maybe OP will come to terms that his younger self was a pussy
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I never post in these, but you know screw it.

I enlisted in the USAR in 97, drilled with my unit for 6 months, the went to Basic. Has a very good, hard, and personally transformative 5 weeks until they said, "oh sorry you are not medically fit, so peace out" and it cost me a fucked up year of college. I had a plan laid out to go ROTC, had planned to go active, and then poof.

I tried again to get in first to the ARNG and then to the USCG and the recuiters tried but once MEPS saw my profile it was nope not worth it. So I went and volunteered the best I could, filled some silly jobs that active guys got the day off, in a small way help train some pretty high speed guys, and did what bit I could.

So at least you have the luxury of having an academic "what if". Some of us tried and despite ourselves we will never get to answer the question you asked and could still answer.

Not getting to be called Sergeant is the only task I believe I have failed to achieve in life so far.

Rant off
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
MP's are despised in the Marine Corps by other Marines. Every Marine is your brother, except these guys tend to fuck you over. They're like a different tier of buddy fuckers. Not to mention hoorah Lcpl with a badge.
View Quote

Dad DID say they LOVED to fuck with you.

He wasn't enamored with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

MOS or field?

Anywho, maybe OP will come to terms that his younger self was a pussy
View Quote

I would call Aviation a field.

I was guaranteed Aviation Ordnance.  Which is my MOS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I never post in these, but you know screw it.

I enlisted in the USAR in 97, drilled with my unit for 6 months, the went to Basic. Has a very good, hard, and personally transformative 5 weeks until they said, "oh sorry you are not medically fit, so peace out" and it cost me a fucked up year of college. I had a plan laid out to go ROTC, had planned to go active, and then poof.

I tried again to get in first to the ARNG and then to the USCG and the recuiters tried but once MEPS saw my profile it was nope not worth it. So I went and volunteered the best I could, filled some silly jobs that active guys got the day off, in a small way help train some pretty high speed guys, and did what bit I could.

So at least you have the luxury of having an academic "what if". Some of us tried and despite ourselves we will never get to answer the question you asked and could still answer.

Not getting to be called Sargent is the only task I believe I have failed to achieve in life so far.

Rant off
View Quote

Luckily you can always become a Sergeant in the local Militia. Sargent's are more rare.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was guaranteed my MOS.
View Quote

Me too.  03
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Meh, I had other things going on and I don't regret it. I have all the respect in the world for our vets and I don't pretend to have been mil.

If someone wants to pile on me for that, then let 'em have at it.
View Quote
Obviously you do regret it, hence this thread. I'm sure you look at Vets with a little disdain, mostly over your own inability to commit to something bigger than yourself.

I'm not going to pile on you, because I have heard the whole "I was going to enlist, but I have flat feet" bullshit a thousand times. It's the excuse people like you use when you are in the company of those that swore an "Oath of Enlistment". I guess it makes people like you think that you are on equal terms, merely because you thought about it once.

I don't disparage those that didn't serve, but don't be apologetic because you couldn't pull the trigger. There are other ways to serve your country. No regerts!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Obviously you do regret it, hence this thread. I'm sure you look at Vets with a little disdain, mostly over your own inability to commit to something bigger than yourself.
View Quote

Come on, man.  I didn't see him say anything disparaging about vets.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My senior year of HS, I was debating on joining the Marine Corps after graduation, the recruiter there had just about talked me into joining as an MP, but after awhile I decided against it. Actually I didn't, I just never made up my mind to do it...

Anyway, the conversation came up yesterday with a few USMC vets in the family and it had me thinking out of pure curiosity, if I had joined in the summer or early fall of 2006 as an MP, where would I likely have ended up, and what would I have been doing?

Knowing myself well enough, I'm sure so would have asked for some type of deployment if the opportunity arose (assuming that I wasn't already) but I admittedly know squat about MPs and I'm glad that I didn't join as one.

Armor would have been more my speed looking back.
View Quote

I would have enlisted into the Army SEALS ParaWeather Raiders, but I wanted to go in as a General, and the recruiter said my ASVAB score was too high.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Luckily you can always become a Sergeant in the local Militia. Sargent's are more rare.

View Quote

@ThreeNinesFine
Oh shut up with your factual corrections of my phone throne posting.
I did go back and edit it, but I never wanted a fake title, I wanted to earn it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I was on my third deployment in 2006. Best fucking decision I ever made was raising my right hand, but I can retire in 3 years and I'm ready.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm not going to pile on you, because I have heard the whole "I was going to enlist, but I have flat feet" bullshit a thousand times. It's the excuse people like you use when you are in the company of those that swore an "Oath of Enlistment". I guess it makes people like you think that you are on equal terms, merely because you thought about it once.

I don't disparage those that didn't serve, but don't be apologetic because you couldn't pull the trigger. There are other ways to serve your country. No regerts!
View Quote

You couldn't be any further off the mark.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@ThreeNinesFine
Oh shut up with your factual corrections of my phone throne posting.
I did go back and edit it, but I never wanted a fake title, I wanted to earn it.
View Quote

Holy shit the mention thing actually works. I thought that was just a meme.

I understand man.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
and even though you didn't pull the trigger, you still aren't an MP
View Quote

I went 11B instead.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#33]
You would've got out of it what you put into it. Maybe you would've liked it, maybe not.
No shame in just being a good citizen though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#34]
MP?    You have been a POG doing POG things in the PMO office probably thinking you're a badass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I did my time.  I would never have made the money I have made if I had stayed in, even with retirement added in.  After seeing it from the inside, there is no way I could possibly have stayed in.  

OP, however, chose to stay on the porch, and is wondering what it would have been like to piss on all those trees like the other dogs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would call Aviation a field.

I was guaranteed Aviation Ordnance.  Which is my MOS.
View Quote

Awesome. They wouldn't gaurantee me MOS.  Wanted 2531(I was big into ham and such at the time?, gaurantee db1100, which is comm /electric.

Got 2512.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Some of you are reading way too far into this. I don't regret a thing, I feel like I made the correct decision at the time, and I like my life today.

I'm not asking how would my life have changed or anything like that, it's pure curiosity on my part what I would have been doing. I crave useless knowledge for whatever reason and my job has me lost in random thought pretty often.

None of this means anything, it was just a passive inquiry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm not sure that in the Navy you can actually choose a rate these days. You go to meps and pick what they have available and after your hitch is over and you want to reenlist there is Cway and that means you might have to change rates completely to stay in.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some of you are reading way too far into this. I don't regret a thing, I feel like I made the correct decision at the time, and I like my life today.

I'm not asking how would my life have changed or anything like that, it's pure curiosity on my part what I would have been doing. I crave useless knowledge for whatever reason and my job has me lost in random thought pretty often.

None of this means anything, it was just a passive inquiry.
View Quote

You would have had brothers forever all over the world if you had been a Marine.

We have inner "fighting" amongst ourselves but in the end EVERY good Marine has your back no matter what your MOS is/was.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I joined in 2006.

Went to boot in June, left in September. Went to ITB in October, left in December.
Went to the Fleet in early January.

You won't know where you're going until you're towards to end of your MOS school. Unless your are a nasty reservist.

Rule of thumb is, you're going to 29 Palms.

So when you get orders from somewhere other than 29 Palms, you'll be much more happier.

I went to Hawaii
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Seriously?
You would have been singled out in basic for you spectacular marksmanship skills, fast tracked out of the MP life to a career path of Special Warfare.  You would have attended Airborne and Ranger school as a Marine, then sent to and graduated SEAL training with honors.  Due to your mastery of all things high speed you would have spent just months on a team before you were tapped to lead it, as you singlehandedly stopped the rise of ISIS.  You then would have been brought back to run through a gauntlet of congressional votes to confirm your position as Secretary of War under Trump.

So you just go on with your life now, and we as a country will deal with the consequences of your bad decision.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
MP's are despised in the Marine Corps by other Marines. Every Marine is your brother, except these guys tend to fuck you over. They're like a different tier of buddy fuckers. Not to mention hoorah Lcpl with a badge.
View Quote

MPs aren't that bad than the faggot MSG Marines hitting the fleet after 3 years in service acting live they've done some real shit because they are an NCO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Glad I don't have your issue. It is a love / hate relationship.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's not too late at 29 years old.
View Quote

How bout 50?
JK, the Corps already decided they don't want my "curves in the wrong plane" spine.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thank you for your almost service.
View Quote

HAHA!  That right there was funny!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Are you thinking of all the penises that you could have drawn?
View Quote

Fat girls
A decade of fat girls
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I was guaranteed my MOS.
View Quote

lol!

i was guaranteed crash fire/rescue.    guess what i got to do for 4 1/2 years. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top