Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Red wings are earned not purchased.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Danner has been my go to for about 7-8 years. My Acadia boots fit like a glove pretty much out of the box. Recraftable with vibram outsole. Made in USA.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Georgia boot
View Quote

Just ordered my first pair last night.

Can't wait to try it out. 

Georgia Boot Giant G6274
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Keens I had sucked.

Danners did not fit my foot correctly, heel wouldn't stay put.

Chippewas fit perfect every time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Was going to say Chippewa.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surprised not a single mention of chippewa....

Was going to say Chippewa.

My one and only pair of Chippewas lasted two months.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My current Red Wings are 5 years of old.  I am in need of new ones this year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I need an alternative.

American made
View Quote

Didn't read the replies, but I cannot recommend Wolverine 1000 Mile boots highly enough.  Made in Michigan, have been forever, and they're a solid boot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Georgia boot
View Quote

Yup, the American-made Georgia's are the best boot I've owned. Feel broken in on day one and last like a mo-fo. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Bought a pair of Thorogoods, they look good, the soles are more comfortable but the leather upper does dig into the top of my foot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I mistakenly brought a pair of redwings that were china made as well.  The leather tore where it meets the sole.  They were less than 9 months old.  POS boots.  I considered other RW boots but decided against them for work boots.  

I work in a brewery and hate rubber boots.  A brewery environment with water, alkaline, and caustic chemicals is tough on boot materials.  I have a pair of Keens right now that lasted more than a year with regular oiling.  The eyelets suck and the laces blew donkeys but the boots lasted, on my second insoles though.  I need non-slip and safety toes whether steel or composite.  I tend to stay away from safety toe for comfort sake.  

My next pair will likely be a pair of Georgia, Throgood, or Carolina.  I'm tough on boots due to the brewery environment.  Lots of metal and chemicals to screw up the leather.  I've been bridging the gap of buying new boots with my Scarpa hiking boots lately and my pair of Red Wing Heritage boots.  They're all taking it but the suede on my one pair of Scarpas is getting dried out from getting wet and staying wet so often.  Scarpa makes some comfortable as hell boots if you don't need to worry about getting your toe crushed and can wear boots that are not non-slip.  I buy them off Shoes.com when they have sales and pay as much as I would for cheap Chinese made boots.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess you don't work in a restaurant. When I did, I was lucky to get 6 months out of a pair of Tims before the soles disintegrated (like a crack from side to side at the ball of my foot going all the way through the sole so it was in two pieces). I did that twice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know where timberland boots are made but that's all I wear for work. IMO they are the most comfortable.

I guess you don't work in a restaurant. When I did, I was lucky to get 6 months out of a pair of Tims before the soles disintegrated (like a crack from side to side at the ball of my foot going all the way through the sole so it was in two pieces). I did that twice.

I've had about 10 pairs of the Timberland Pro Titans do this. (Work provides 2 pairs a year, and they're the most comfortable out of what's available).
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was done with them after the first pair.

They are really high quality, but boots have come a long way in the past 100 years.

I don't buy Chuck Taylors for athletic shoes either.

If you like a more classic style boot, I know a lot of guys that swear by Thorogoods.

U.S. made and much more affordable than Red Wings.

http://www.thorogoodworkboots.com/Thorogood-Work-Boots-Best-Seller-Mens.jpg
View Quote

I used to buy Wolverine all the time, $80- $90 boots and they'd barely last a year.

I drop $160 on the Thorogood, 2 years later, and I'm still wearing them. They were a bitch to break in, but they're worth it. I do swap out the insoles every 6 months.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a pair of their old NFPA fire fighting boots- indestructible. Heavy, but best fitting boot ever.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Tiimberland Pro  /thread

Used to have a pair of RedWing Sidewinders that were awesome.  Bought them in 02 and used them until 09 or so.  Timberland Pro Endurance in 09 and they are still in good shape.

ETA:  I just got some Keen hiking boots in August.  I've never had smelly feet until these boots.  They are comfortable until you need to stand on them for longer than 30 minutes.  I still wear them everyday, but I'm not happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Hoffman
Whites/Hathorn
Danner (only made in USA rainforest)

In this order.

All are rebuildable (except some of whites hathorns and some danner seconds), made in the USA, and warranted (except seconds).

I'm wearing a pair of Hathorn explorers right now I got for $99 at the whites factory in Spokane two years ago. They are still holding strong and don't leak even though I never grease them.

I have a pair of Hoffman winter packs that I wear when there is snow or it's really cold and they are awesome. Best pack boot made.

I am going to buy a pair of Hoffmans to replace my Hathorns before the end of the summer. I would buy the Hathorns again if I could find the same deal on them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#16]

This are what I ordered instead of RW. They run a size large. So I orded 11 wide. The soles are nice and soft but the tongue and upper are pretty stiff.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Ariat
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thorogood is pretty good.  You want made in USA Red Wings, they hold up better.  

Anyone who wears boots for ten years is not wearing them much and definitely not doing anything hard in 'em.  

I used to wear out a pair of US made Red Wings in 9-12 months, the same for US made Justins.  

When I used to wear cowboy boots for work, a handmade pair would last about three years, with new soles.
View Quote

I bought some American made Thorogoods and the sole started coming off after about a month. About a hundred forty bucks.  I'll never buy them again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Jan..1st I got my $175.00 certificate from work to order my yearly boot order. I went with the Keen Detroit Steel Toe MidHi Work Boot.

Style # K1007004. I love them do far. I am not hard on boots though. I am a Mech Engineer and sit in my office except for short trips to the Fabrication/Mecanical shop. They make me look like a working man though

I am a long time Timberland Pro series guy but changed up this year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Danner?
View Quote

Best boots I've ever had are Danners.

I wear them almost everyday during winter months and every weekend during camp trips / hiking in summer months, 6 years old and still in great condition other than outter wear and tear.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ariat
View Quote

Never heard of them, but they do have some nice looking boots.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I've worn:

USA Made Redwings
Danner
Thoroughgood
Georgia
Justin
Ariat

when I worked as road maintenance (including snow plowing and salting) and bridge demo/construction and also for part time farming.  No boot out of that list would last more than 12 - 18 months.

I found that, for the price and fit to my foot, Justin, Danner and USA made Redwings would last an acceptable amount of time (around a year to 14 months).  If you are really working your boots hard, it's really about finding the boot that fits your feet well and is most comfortable.  None will last very long.  I wasn't going to wear a boot that was uncomfortable but would last 30 days longer.  

Find a boot from one of the above companies, maybe add in White (never owned a pair), pick the most comfortable and just realize that they are a wear item.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to a Red Wing store after hearing everyone at work talk about how amazing they are.  Every single pair I tried on was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever put on my feet, and I've spent a LOT of time in some awful cleats playing soccer.  Now I stick within my allowance at the shipyard shoe store and am much happier.  Past two pairs have been SR Max.  EXTREMELY comfortable.  Eventually the inner lining will get a hole rubbed in it somewhere, but other than that they have held up remarkably.  Tread on my current year old pair looks new except for a tiny bit at the heel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Georgia Boot Giant G6274
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Georgia boot

Georgia Boot Giant G6274

Be sure and check the rubber area above the sole.  I just dropped a pair off at the UPS store. I opened the box, did an inspection and noticed it was separated and looked like a great place to trap water and cause further separation. So back to amazon it goes. Other than that its a very nice boot. The issue could have been preventable if it was stiched completely around but it stops at the toes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Be sure and check the rubber area above the sole.  I just dropped a pair off at the UPS store. I opened the box, did an inspection and noticed it was separated and looked like a great place to trap water and cause further separation. So back to amazon it goes. Other than that its a very nice boot. The issue could have been preventable if it was stiched completely around but it stops at the toes.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had zero problems with mine, I'm on the second pair.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Besides the price, whats wrong with RedWings?
They have a great warranty and at least for me a store is :10minutes away.

Free laces for life, free cleaning and conditioning for life.
View Quote
ruined my feet
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I had an American made pair do the same. I went with Danner quarry's and the comfort is there and they are tough but the sole is wearing quickly. I'm hard on boots and on many different surfaces and temperatures. I don't know how people get their soles to last 3+ years without being completely slick. Ive never had a pair last more than 18 months without needing new soles.
View Quote

I am good for about 12 months on a set of heals. When shoe repair shops became extinct I quit buying expensive shoes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I buy redback boots off the tool truck. They are Australian made
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#31]
How are the Danner Crafter boots?  I need composite toe (NOT steel toe) and EH rated.  Don't care about waterproof or insulated, but I walk about 5 miles a day on concrete in a warehouse, so they need to be comfortable.  The Red Wing Chinese made 2240s I have now are ok.  They've been holding up, but aren't the most comfortable.  Yet they feel better than the Reeboks or Wolverines I tried.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

10 years, huh? This is how I know you don't wear them everyday.

OP sounds like he wears work boots everyday. Not once every other week when his wife hands him his "honey-do" list and he needs to paint the kitchen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a pair that have been hard worn for 10 years...and I mean bordering on abused...lot of miles on them. Still in great condition considering....mine have held up remarkably well and I wouldn't hesitate to replace them in kind.

10 years, huh? This is how I know you don't wear them everyday.

OP sounds like he wears work boots everyday. Not once every other week when his wife hands him his "honey-do" list and he needs to paint the kitchen.

Yeah...that's totally it...you've got me all figured out...No construction sites....no 3-4 miles of pavement every time they go on my feet...no mountain trails, hiking, or camping, on my days off....just to lowes and back in a Prius to pick up precut wood. 

In in full disclosure, I haven't worn mine every day...and I'm in management, so I'm not doing the heavy lifting any more...so yeah, they have had a much easier life than when I was working a laborer in masonry. Can't say how they would have held up in that hostile environment. That said, I tend to have them on for 10-12 hours at a time...and they have been comfortable and held up well to whatever I put them through. Lots of battle scars but functionally still strong. But again, not worn every day....maybe 3 days each week, and I'm not lugging gear or supplies much these days...so yeah, less abuse than many of you guys might be subjecting them to. 

Sounds like the company has gone downhill in the quality dept from the accounts of others here.
Truth be told, I always wanted to try Chippewa and Danner. Based on what a I'm reading about the current state of a Red Wing, might give those brands a go for the next pair. 

Good luck OP....let us know what you go with and how they treat you. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Thorogood is the answer you seek.

H
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Seriously,
Thorogood.
Almost 15 years of ironwork, production factory and General construction.

Thorogood are the ONLY boots I will EVER wear for work (I'm on my feet, working for 12 hours a day).

Made the mistake of trying a pair of us made red wings  (at $300 almost).
They were the most God awful, painful, heavy, blister causing pieces if shit I've ever had on my dogs (and I was in combat boots for nearly 10 years).

THOROGOOD!
/thread
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a pair of Doc Martens crack the same way when I was a teenager and worked in a restaurant in them. Only pair of shoes or boots that I ever had crack like that. Maybe it was the floor cleaner?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Semi off topic (because hunting boots are lighter and thinner than work boots) but I am wearing some of those fancy Russell Moccasin bird shooting boots right now and have concluded they are overpriced junk.

They leak worse than dress shoes (literally, walking across wet grass), the lug sole is pretty soft so it wore slick quickly, and the leather tongue is very thin and ripped while I was pulling them on.

Probably Danner hunting boots next time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Haix are the best boots I have used.  They are German made though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
<a href="http://www.lapolicegear.com/belleville-300-trop-st.html?utm_source=belleville-300-trop-st&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&Size=11.5-Wide&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlsrFBRCAxcCB54XElLEBEiQA_ei0DGX5_700irQgSzbmzhc548vhPBHRP7uhuFtdOG4RqlMaAkdG8P8HAQ" target="_blank">Bellville 300 Trp ST</a> are my go-to boots. I've been working almost a year at a landfill as a mechanic, and they're still in good shape, have vibram soles, and are made in 'murica.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How are the Danner Crafter boots?  I need composite toe (NOT steel toe) and EH rated.  Don't care about waterproof or insulated, but I walk about 5 miles a day on concrete in a warehouse, so they need to be comfortable.  The Red Wing Chinese made 2240s I have now are ok.  They've been holding up, but aren't the most comfortable.  Yet they feel better than the Reeboks or Wolverines I tried.
View Quote

Good looking boot, but it says it's imported.

ETA: If this is the same boot, it's got some pretty decent reviews on Amazon
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No danners unless they are made in America. Their overseas boots are shit. If you want a casual boot for hiking or what not and want to spend big money go for it. If you like to get what you pay for only buy boots made in America when it comes to danner.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top