Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/25/2017 8:36:42 PM EDT
I am seriously considering cutting back to only having an internet connection and nothing else at my home.
Looks like I can put in a Roku device and stream from that. I already have Amazon Prime video, so there are movies and what not there.
Also see that Hulu has a lot of options.
Final thing would be putting on a digital antenna to pick up channels from the air....like the world did when I was a kid.

Anyone else cut the cord and cancel their cable / FIOS?
What did you miss out on? (if anything)

Any advice or feedback based on your experiences?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I did last month.  Bought a couple of Rokus and a chromecast.  I can watch live news on YouTube, which is why I thought I needed cable.  I'm saving $170 a month, which paid for the devices.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Doing it this week.

We hardly ever turn on the TV, so I probably wont get an antenna.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
We did about a year ago...definitely don't miss spending 1000+ a year supporting sjw bullshit.

I use a device called tablo to record OTA, Amazon fire boxes, Hulu, Netflix prime

Works well except for AMC shows

I also downloaded Kodi...which you can do a lot with....
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube.  It is really all I need.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Over a year ago. FiretV + Kodi + Exodus + PlayStation Vue = Entertainment Nirvana. More Choices than ever at a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep. All my screens have FireTV Sticks.  No-Mo cable for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have internet only with a couple Rokus and Amazon Fire TV box and Fire sticks.  We blow through the data limit very quickly on ATT, so that might be a consideration.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't even own a television; likely never will. Netflix and gun videos on YouTube pretty much cover it for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Just cut the cord last week.
Firestick, Kodi, Netflix, Exodus and Direct TV Now. Should have done it long ago.
Not sure I really need Netflix any more but it's cheap enough.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#12]
ATT Fiber + Playstation Vue.  Saving $50+ per month switching from old comcast plan, faster internet, and get all the channels I regularly watch and the local Fox station. Never looking back.

If you stream make sure you have enough data.  I watch a few hours per day easy and push nearly 400gb/month.

Edit: ATT fiber is unlimited bandwidth.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I cut cable 2 years ago.

PS4 with Netflix and HULU.
Amazon Stick with Kodi

I can't be happier. I can't watch local news but if I got the $20 antenna I could. I just use their mobile sites.

It's a little extra work but it's well worth saving almost $150 a month.

FYI - AT&T offers a unlimited data internet plan $50 a month with business tax ID.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Just finalized cutting cable and landline phone this week by returning the black boxes.

Kids only watch stuff from netflix anyway, and I rarely watch TV anymore, other than the PBS "Victoria" these days. Plus the stuff I left on the Tivo. (I need to cancel that too).
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
We have decent comcast internet (only) and a Roku with Sling TV.

Kids watch Nick Jr through the Roku channel and through Sling.  Wife watches HGTV through Sling.  I usually watch YouTube.

We are paying $30 for internet and $25 for sling.

We were paying almost $100 for at&t/direct TV which was slower internet and a ton of channels we didn't watch
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I did.  I use rokus on my TV's.  I just get internet from the cable company.  I also have an antenna and get around 20 OTA channels from Tampa, a lot are HD.  When I moved I made it a point to cut cable TV, as I was paying over 220 a month for comcast.  I basically realized that other than sports and news, I wasn't watching TV channels.  I hate the commercials and wait a week format.

One thing to keep in mind is data limits.  Brighthouse(now spectrum) has no bandwidth limits.  I'd probably go over the limit if it had one.  My parents have exceeded the limit and been charged extra with comcast, streaming 4k netflix is a ton of data.

I pay for amazon prime, netflix, and hbonow.

On the streaming device note, I have amazon FireTV sticks, google chromecasts and rokus.  I like FireTV better than chromecast as you have a remote, using your phone to stream is optional.  Roku's do both google and amazon content, and have remotes with headphone jacks for my girl who likes to watch when I need to sleep for work.  Chromecasts sucked.  You can't do anything without your phone or tablet, and if your setup uses HDCP over hdmi, the damn thing will turn your TV and AV receiver on whenever it receives an update, and never turns it off.  Everything was on for days while I was out of town.  It's been a known issue for years in their bug list with no fix.  So I rank Roku's the best at this point.  And their search shows availability for movies/shows across platforms.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no cable bill. Put up an OTA antenna and have Netflix. Really don't miss anything, can stream the sports I like to watch with no commercials. (Rugby) I can't imagine ever paying a cable company money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have decent comcast internet (only) and a Roku with Sling TV.

Kids watch Nick Jr through the Roku channel and through Sling.  Wife watches HGTV through Sling.  I usually watch YouTube.

We are paying $30 for internet and $25 for sling.

We were paying almost $100 for at&t/direct TV which was slower internet and a ton of channels we didn't watch
View Quote
I just canceled my Sling trial. I don't have any problems with Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu but Sling would buffer to the point of being useless.

I did manage to watch a 1.5 hrs of a movie. Then I made the mistake of stopping it thinking I could return. POS wanted to start me less than halfway through. Then I made a bigger mistake and tried watching on the computer. That set me almost back to the beginning with no way to fast forward to where I really left off. Fuck Sling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Spend $100 a month on cable or $100 a month on various streaming services to "cut the cord".  Eh whatever.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah did it last month Direct Tv was too much. So got FIRE TV got PS VUE Netflix and kodi/Exodus and a HD antenna for local channels saved us a ton of cash and more choice then had before I love it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Cut the cord in 2008.  Rokus are great.  I have Netflix and Amazon Prime.  

I recently bought a firetv (not firestick due to faster speed) and have kodi on it.  It has everything.  Kodi interface is not as user friendly but once I get comfortable with it I could get rid of Netflix and AP.  

Good antenna is really nice too for local news and sports.  I spent $100 on antenna and a mount.  Antennas direct is a good online retailer with information on the right antenna based on your location.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#22]
PS view, amazon prime and hulu.

Works great, less than cable more to watch.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Final thing would be putting on a digital antenna to pick up channels from the air....like the world did when I was a kid.

View Quote

I ditched cable about eight years ago.  The only things I miss are AMC, an SciFi (when it was SciFi and not SyFy, the goofy shit channel).

You don't need a "digital" antenna to pick up OTA broadcasts.

I currently have Netflix, but it's switching from lots of movies to lots of TV series, some of which are good, but they're lacking any depth in their movie catalog these days.

Figure out what kind of things you enjoy watching, and look for alternative sources.

The best part of ditching cable, you'll find that you spend a lot less time watching mindless bullshit.  At least I have.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Spend $100 a month on cable or $100 a month on various streaming services to "cut the cord".  Eh whatever.
View Quote

My cable plus internet bill was $120 a month.  Now I spend a $50 a month for internet plus Netflix.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't had cable in years. Once in a while I'll stream a movie on Netflix or Amazon if I am bored.

The Wife watches Netflix at the gym, otherwise, I wouldn't even have that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Was hoping MLB.tv would get rid of the stupid local blackout stuff this season. That is the only thing holding me back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I only pay for internet service, no TV.

Then I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and an antenna.
View Quote

We do this too, gets us everything that we want.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am seriously considering cutting back to only having an internet connection and nothing else at my home.
Looks like I can put in a Roku device and stream from that. I already have Amazon Prime video, so there are movies and what not there.
Also see that Hulu has a lot of options.

View Quote

I'm doing it.  I've got DirecTVNow, plus Netflix, Plex, and Crunchyroll for my Son.  Am considering cancelling Netflix since he watches mostly Crunchyroll, and I watch mostly Plex w/ some DirecTVNow.   The DirecTVNow is mostly for my Mom.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything.  I've got more channels than I can watch.  I've got all the movies I want and my son has all the Anime he can watch.  

Killed Netflix because we weren't using it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#29]
My parents have direct TV, the only time I use it is to watch UFC.  Everything else I watch is streamed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Years ago.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBONOW, antenna in the attic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#31]
My wife subscribes to and pays for cable. The kids and I only use Amazon Prime, Netflix or the OTA antenna.

If I really cared about TV, I could subscribe to PlayStation Vue (which does not require a PlayStation) or swing or any of the other various Standalone services that will be popping up soon.

Through Amazon you can subscribe to Mini cable channels such as HBO Showtime etc plus some that you can't get through normal cable.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Through Amazon you can subscribe to Mini cable channels such as HBO Showtime etc plus some that you can't get through normal cable.
View Quote

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of this service.  Looks like they don't have DIY, which was the only channel I really missed when we cut the cord.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and I just got DirectTVNow. 

My Spectrum internet account has no cap, and I stream stuff almost constantly. The DirectTVNow I have runs $32.00 a month and gives me FoxBusiness and 31 other channels. It is pretty new and IMHO needs work still. 

I have a computer set up to display on my 58" Plasma TV and run through my surround sound set up...or I can watch stuff on my laptop, tablet, or iPhone. Works for me. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Had been using Netflix, added Amazon. Got rid of Amazon, all the same as Netflix.

Netflix kept removing my shows, King of the Hill, Magnum, Mash, etc.. I got rid of them and moved to Sling TV. It was great, but it was limited.

I bought a new TV here end of January, moving into the 21st century.  I studied a little. Bought an Amazon Firestick, added Kodi, Bought an HD TV antenna...

Now I have 34 channels of network TV. The news on my TV is phenomenal. All HD. Can't be any more beautiful. I loaded KODI on my Amazon Firestick. I watch all my favorites, COPS, First 48, Monk, Magnum, Mash, Rockford, King of the Hill, all my favote movies, Pale Rider, Outlaw Jose Wales, Dirty Harry, etc...

It's the greatest damn thing since sliced bread. I only pay for an Internet connection. Thank you for whoever developed and created this KODI concept.

Buy an Amazon Firestick, download KODI and Exodus, buy a HD antenna, and get rid of cable and pay per services. It's a no brainer.

Hit up YouTube to figure out how to do everything I outlined. Again, this is a no brainer and I'm enjoying my life. Anything I want to watch. I only pay for monthly internet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Just got rid of cable today actually.  We mostly watch steaming content any way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Going on 5 years without cable TV.
Netflix, Amazon, Plex, Kodi, and RSS feeds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I haven't had TV for probably 4 years.  Got a Roku

Netflix, Amazon, Hulu keep me pretty well covered.  Even have a YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  The only thing I really miss are some of the less popular sports that dont make network TV like motorcycle racing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:25:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Yup, was saving $ until I found this site... maybe I should get cable hooked up again
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of this service.  Looks like they don't have DIY, which was the only channel I really missed when we cut the cord.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure how long it has been, but they have changed.... drastically.  

I loved that channel in the mid 200s but now it's all reality shows
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#41]
What's this cord you speak of?

Maybe I had something like that 5 or 7 or so years ago, hard to remember that long ago. I do remember 150 channels of nothing to watch at about $1 ea.

Internet, OTA HD antenna, Pi/Kodi or 3. I might look into my Prime acct stick thingie at some point. Ooma for phone.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm thinking about it but I like having a house phone.  What does the hive mind recommend for VoIP ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about it but I like having a house phone.  What does the hive mind recommend for VoIP ?
View Quote

Magicjack works great for me.  $35/yr + $10/yr for 911, so ~$4/mo total.  I prefer using standard size cordless phones at home instead of a cell phone.

Connected the Magicjack device to an ethernet cable and backfed a telephone jack with it, so it serves all existing telephone jacks in the house.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.  I did it several years ago and don't miss cable at all.   About the only reason to keep it is if you like to watch the ball chasers on tv.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#46]
tag
for VpN ???????
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I've had only internet for 5+ years.  The only thing I really missed was sports, but that desire faded.  Now I have free time. :)

I'd cut internet if we didn't need it for work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#49]
We cut the cable cord nearly 10 years ago. Been using Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#50]
HBO, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

Kids watch a lot on youtube.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top