User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Because 99% of people are stupid
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I specifically requested no sticker on my 2016 Silverado  (Black not Red, guys).  I will get my own frame and I haven't even put a SIG sticker on it yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't want it, why not just ask to not have it put on the car to begin with???  That way you wouldn't have to start a thread about bitching about dealerships again...how horrible salespeople are and all that jazz.

I have customers who ask me not to have our logo or plate holder put on their vehicle.  All you have to do is ask.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its the first thing I take off, along with any other dealer advertisements.

This

Yep. I am not your NASCAR
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Our previous service manager made us put them on any car that didn't have them on it.  Customers either didn't care or never noticed that we were doing it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. Never understood it.  I'm not paid to advertise and I think it looks goofy as shit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't believe my vehicles came with any of them, but if it did, I removed them.  But I do remove their dealership logo stickers off, with the use of a hair dryer, go-gone, and some elbow grease.
View Quote

^ Auffenberg is where my bother works, or as everybody else calls it Awfulberg.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I make them take it off before I drive off the lot.  I also make the, take off any dealership badge they add to the back of the car.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a dealer group in Oregon whose name is the same as mine. So, every time I ooze through Oregon, I stop in and get a couple of them. I just tell them it's my name and they cheerfully relinquish them. Back in the day,when I ran Porsches all the time, I always had Porsche badged plate frames. These are the only exceptions to my general distaste for dealer advertising.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]
lol some people. And you don't wear shoes with a brand or t-shirts or anything else. Cause free advertising herp depprprppr
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The last truck I bought they were real hard ons over the price but we made a deal anyway. They pulled the truck up to the door when we were done and handed me the keys. I guess they were going to see me off because a few of the sales guys walked out front with me. Before I left I removed their license plate brackets and decals and such right in front of them. They stood there with their jaws dropped while I threw them in the trash and drove away. I got a nice giggle out of it.
View Quote

I have done something very similar to this once. And, as a rule it it the first thing to happen to a car that any of my immediate family owns, get rid of the dealer plate.

In another lifetime I was actually the service manager at the nations oldest Honda dealership in So Cal. This was S.O.P. in the shop until one day a guy brought in a vintage Honda car, lot attendant swapped out the frames, threw them in the trash, customer flips out, trash just happened to be hauled that day, sued us BIG TIME (think So Cal) and got a very generous settlement from the dealership. That was the end of that policy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

They don't own a screwdriver or nut driver/socket to change it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Whenever I buy a new car, if they have put a decal, etc. on the car I make them remove it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The simple answer is that to leave it on requires them to do nothing, and that is all most people are capable of. 
View Quote

ie; Most folks are lazy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tagged for the Arfcomer who got a ticket for an obscured plate because of a dealer plate cover.
View Quote
That would be me when I lived in New York. The word commercial was covering the bottom half of the word. Cop pulled me over on the Whitestone bridge to write me up for it
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I still haven't heard anyone give a reason why they're needed in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So I guess you rip off the rest of the badging and branding off of the vehicle as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I guess you rip off the rest of the badging and branding off of the vehicle as well?

I make the dealer take off any of their branding/badging before I leave the lot.  The manufacturer badging is allowed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tagged for the Arfcomer who got a ticket for an obscured plate because of a dealer plate cover.
View Quote

Actually witnessed that a good bit when I was a reserve officer. Trust me, the drivers talked themselves into it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The simple answer is that to leave it on requires them to do nothing, and that is all most people are capable of. 
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I always yank them off as soon as I get it home.  Same with any other advertisement for the dealer.  They didn't pay me for it, so I'm not going to advertise for them.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. All that stuff comes off the first day. I don't do free advertising.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had the salesman remove all the dealership branding before I left the lot.

Kharn
View Quote

I do this for customers that don't want it, no big deal to me if it keeps them happy.

Some customers ask for extra frames and I oblige them too, the Cadillac ones are cursive on chrome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I get free car washes with it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I specifically requested no sticker on my 2016 Silverado  (Black not Red, guys).  I will get my own frame and I haven't even put a SIG sticker on it yet.
View Quote

Marco cut you a great deal?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
lol some people. And you don't wear shoes with a brand or t-shirts or anything else. Cause free advertising herp depprprppr
View Quote

You are advertising the vehicle brand by driving your vehicle, just not wanting to let the world know where you bought it from.  I don't leave store tags on my jeans.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine only come off because I have plates delivered to the office v any actual give a fuck on my part.  I put more effort into this thread than into thinking about the 2 cents of plastic that 600 Chinese workers died to create.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I even heat gun any dealer stickers off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are advertising the vehicle brand by driving your vehicle, just not wanting to let the world know where you bought it from.  I don't leave store tags on my jeans.
View Quote

But you do leave the stickers on your flat bill hat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Could be a lease, or maybe they're too busy driving the darn things to care?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Same here, I'm not getting paid to advertise for them.
View Quote

^

Plus here in NY it is illegal to have anything covering the license plate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#32]
My license plate frame reads   "Catch & Release"   "Love'um & Leave'um"
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They really accent my white oakleys.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I even heat gun any dealer stickers off.
View Quote
yeah, those metallic ones are a bitch to take off without a good heat gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wonder how many will strip the dealer shit off but then plaster it with Salt Life, Arfcom, 13.1, 26.2, 5.56, Yeti, A stick family, NRA, and Sniper stickers?
View Quote

The only sticker I had was an I voted sticker. I took it off after a few days. I never saw the appeal of putting  5 dollar stickers on my 40,000+ dollar truck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't know how to operate a screwdriver?
View Quote

I just keep saying to myself, "righty tighty, lefty loosey"

But sometimes my lips move.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
yeah, those metallic ones are a bitch to take off without a good heat gun.
View Quote
Fishing line does just fine. 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#38]
On my current truck it stayed on there for quite a while, for a reason.

DMV screwed up my tags. Rather then taking a day off work to deal with it, I just ran the dealer paper plate and frame. For almost a year until my registration came due again.
Paid it, got my tags and took the dealer paper plate and frame off.

I normally debadge my vehicles too, I like the look. Current driver is a bit of a rarity so I left the badging on. There are only two badges and both are on the tailgate and will stay.
I do run plate frames but I go for the flat black, super thin ones that 100% do not obscure any part of the plate. I have black plates on a black truck so the frame cleans up the edges of the plate.

Only vehicle that runs the dealership plate frame is from when the car was bought new, in 1967.
Dealership is long gone but the frame is staying.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Leaving it on there is like leaving the sign from the Real Estate Realtor in your front yard after you buy your house just to show where you bought it from.

It's the first thing I do.

Two screws and it's off.  15 second job.

You'd be amazed at how many people still have the stickers on their TV's in the corner.  You know...those yellow ones.  

People are lazy.
View Quote

The first house we bought, the realtor wouldn't come pick up the sign. We called several times over a period of about two months.

The metal frame made a nice target stand.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#40]
99% of people could give a rats ass

I am the 1%

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#41]
First thing that comes off when I get home is that shit
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Remove it along with any stickers. I hate seeing them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I only took mine off when I got a new license plate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why do you need a frame?  None of my vehicles have ever had plate frames on them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Those plate corners are sharp. They can give you a serious cut to your fingertips. In all seriousness, if they're not paying me to advertise for them, they go in the trash on day one
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Locally a lady got pulled over for having a dealer's plate frame on her Florida plate.

The cop said it blocked the location of her plate.  That's funny because you can get a FL plate that names the county or opt for "In God We Trust" thereby making the county designation obsolete.

She still got a ticket.

Btw the first thing I do is take the dealer crap off the car.
View Quote

Yes, cop friend once told me they can use the frame as a reason to pull you over saying that it hides portion of your license plate
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Pro tip:  Place the dealers license plate frame behind you license plate.  Keeps the tin plate from cutting in to your paint.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#48]
I saw this one on a car the other day:
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They are way, waaaaaaayyy down on the list of priorities or things I give a shit enough to actually do something about it.
View Quote

This.  Also they didn't put one on my car.  They did move over the one I had on my old car for me.  There is a dealer badge on the back of the car next to the model and other stuff.  My dad offered to take it off, might take him up on it next time I'm over there, but I do not care enough to expend effort doing it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's not like new license plate covers are expensive. Ten bucks and a trip to vatozone is all it takes.
View Quote

What the fuck is the point of license plate covers? Why waste $10 on one?

I get rid of mine and the little dealer sticker as soon as I get home.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top