Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 6:00:25 PM EDT
Make what you will of this news.  I'm hoping for something exciting, but it's probably just gonna be another potentially habitable exoplanet hundreds of light years away.

http://www.space.com/35779-nasa-exoplanet-findings-announcement.html
NASA is holding a news conference tomorrow (Feb. 22) to discuss "new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets," according to a statement from the agency.

The news conference begins at 1 p.m. EST (1800 GMT). No other specifics about the "new findings" have been made public, but "details … are embargoed by the journal Nature" until 1 p.m. EST, according to the statement.

The news conference will feature five speakers: Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the Science Mission Directorate at NASA headquarters; Michaël Gillon, astronomer at the University of Liège in Belgium; Sean Carey, manager of NASA's Spitzer Science Center at Caltech/IPAC in Pasadena; Nikole Lewis, astronomer at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore; and Sara Seager, professor of planetary science and physics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Sara Seager is a leading exoplanet scientist who, among other things, is working on the problem of how to identify bio signatures in exoplanet atmospheres. The Space Telescope Science Institute is an astronomical research center as well as the mission operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and NASA's planet-hunting Kepler telescope.

Following the news conference, the five scientists will participate in a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) session at 3 p.m. EST (2000 GMT), in which members of the public can pose questions to the scientists via a Reddit message board.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Make what you will of this news.  I'm hoping for something exciting, but it's probably just gonna be another potentially habitable exoplanet hundreds of light years away.

http://www.space.com/35779-nasa-exoplanet-findings-announcement.html
NASA is holding a news conference tomorrow (Feb. 22) to discuss "new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets," according to a statement from the agency.

The news conference begins at 1 p.m. EST (1800 GMT). No other specifics about the "new findings" have been made public, but "details … are embargoed by the journal Nature" until 1 p.m. EST, according to the statement.

The news conference will feature five speakers: Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the Science Mission Directorate at NASA headquarters; Michaël Gillon, astronomer at the University of Liège in Belgium; Sean Carey, manager of NASA's Spitzer Science Center at Caltech/IPAC in Pasadena; Nikole Lewis, astronomer at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore; and Sara Seager, professor of planetary science and physics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Sara Seager is a leading exoplanet scientist who, among other things, is working on the problem of how to identify bio signatures in exoplanet atmospheres. The Space Telescope Science Institute is an astronomical research center as well as the mission operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and NASA's planet-hunting Kepler telescope.

Following the news conference, the five scientists will participate in a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) session at 3 p.m. EST (2000 GMT), in which members of the public can pose questions to the scientists via a Reddit message board.
View Quote

That would be really awesome though. Regardless if we ever found life on another planet, if one day we just find another earth, that is freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
So they found something we can live on that we can't live long enough to get to?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The question on every man's mind is, " Is this planet likely to harbor hot blue alien chicks?"
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The question on every man's mind is, " Is this planet likely to harbor hot blue green alien chicks?"
View Quote

And may they all look like Yvonne Craig.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So they found something we can live on that we can't live long enough to get to?
View Quote

Your grandkids grandkids grandkids grandkids grandkids might live to see it.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Early suggestions point to life on a Jupiter moon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Two options:

1.  Export all the libtards to that planet.

2.  Export all the rational minded people to that planet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what generational ships are for.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your grandkids grandkids grandkids grandkids grandkids might live to see it.  
View Quote
Only if they remember why they left Earth by the time they get there.
"Universe" and "Common Sense", Robert Heinlein, 1941
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Two options:

View Quote

I'll take option two for 400 Alex. New world, new adventures, none of the hundreds year old, entrenched .gov A chance start new. Sounds just like heaven.

Also what I heard is it'll be the announcement of 7 new exoplanets circling a star about 40 ly away.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]
My buddy works at Canaveral.  He said they found rings around Uranus.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And may they all look like Yvonne Craig. Zoe Saldana
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:45:44 AM EDT
[#13]
soooooo what was it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:20:24 AM EDT
[#14]
"It's a small Rocky ice planet. We're calling it 'Pluto.'"
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#15]
In for disappointment
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That would be really awesome though. Regardless if we ever found life on another planet, if one day we just find another earth, that is freaking awesome.
View Quote
It actually is earth, just from another timeline, where Hillary one. They only discovered it after the huge nuclear reaction from the planet being destroyed in nuclear holocaust after provoking war with Russia.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#17]
It's always bothered me a little that I probably wont live to see humans colonizing another planet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#19]
All we have to do is find away to bend time create a wormhole and that distance problem is solved.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In for disappointment
View Quote

Looking for attention, gotta keep that money coming in right?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's what generational ships are for.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The question on every man's mind is, " Is this planet likely to harbor hot blue green alien chicks?"

I am no racist and will gladly disappoint hot alien chicks of any color.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd watch it but I have another NASA meeting I'll be at. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm hoping for free oxygen found in the light spectrum of a nearby exoplanet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd watch it but I have another NASA meeting I'll be at. 
View Quote

aren't you fancy...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Two options:

View Quote
I'm for staying here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Nibiru?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll be watching it, hoping for it to be something incredible, but I'm expecting the mundane.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, you can find all you want but it's multiple LIGHT YEARS AWAY!     Let's focus on things we can get to in the span of human life at least!

Quoted:
I'll be watching it, hoping for it to be something incredible, but I'm expecting the mundane.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top