Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2017 6:45:33 PM EDT
Hello all, I'm searching for a 22 LR revolver for the girlfriend with hopes of slowing her down some and concentrating more between shots. Here lies the problem, revolvers are damn expensive when compared to your average semi auto. So to cut to the chase, can anyone  recommend a solid 22LR revolver with a 3 to 4 inch barrel that won't break the bank and offer years of enjoyment.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello all, I'm searching for a 22 LR revolver for the girlfriend with hopes of slowing her down some and concentrating more between shots. Here lies the problem, revolvers are damn expensive when compared to your average semi auto. So to cut to the chase, can anyone  recommend a solid 22LR revolver with a 3 to 4 inch barrel that won't break the bank and offer years of enjoyment.
View Quote

Let me get this straight ...

Your GF finishes too fast & looses concentration between "shots"

&

you need something 3 to 4 inches to slow her down for years?

Hmm
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger Bearcat. It will slow her down for sure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
What you think you want is a Ruger GP100 or SP101, What you need is a Mk IV...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Ruger Single Six is a solid revolver. If you can find one for $350-400 I'd say good buy.

Heritage Rough Rider seems to be a very economical choice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
How about an used H&R?  Maybe try checking some pawnshops in your area.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What you think you want is a Ruger GP100 or SP101, What you need is a Mk IV...
View Quote

I love the SP101 with a passion ( have one in 38 special ). Can't justify the $600 price tag though. If I could find a clean used one I'd jump on it for sure locally.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#10]
S&W Model-17, 18 or 617.

Edit: RIF, I didn't read the part about being inexpensive. However, the S&Ws may not be cheap, they are very well made.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Ruger Bearcat or Single Six top my list.  The Charter Arms Pathfinder may be an affordable double-action option, but I have no experience with them.

Pathfinder link
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Smith 617.  Done.

It's not cheap, but you get a gun that's not cheap.  It will be a good trainer for learning to shoot a revolver and she won't outgrow it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here  you go:

https://charterfirearms.com/products/72242-22-lr-target-pathfinder-with-4-2-barrel

No, it's not Smith and Wesson quality but it won't break the bank, which is what you asked for . . .
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Am I missing something here? Why can't she slow down while shooting a semi auto? What is she shooting now, that is preventing her from this? This sounds more like a training and discipline issue, than equipment.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm very happy with my Rossi Plinker.  Good finish, decent trigger, and you can find them as low as $248 on slickguns.. Apparently they're discontinued and pretty much nonexistent now.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Am I missing something here? Why can't she slow down while shooting a semi auto? What is she shooting now, that is preventing her from this? This sounds more like a training and discipline issue, than equipment.
View Quote
 Sounds like OP has lingering PTSD from the great rimfire shortage
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys.  I'll look into the charter arms,  and if it rubs me the wrong way after looking at it, I'll just say the hell with it and pick up the SP 101
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#18]
just load 1-2 rounds in each magazine, and make her load and chamber more often. does the same thing, plus gets her more practice.. all for free.

unless you just want a new gun, that's cool too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#19]
A different gun is not the answer...

If she's just mindlessly pulling the trigger as fast as she can, a revolver is not going to help. Double action revolvers can fire nearly as fast as a Pistol, even single action can be shot quickly if all you're trying to do is empty the gun as quickly as possible...

Dry fire practice, have her do lots of dry fire practice.

Down load magazines, frequent mag changes will slow her down. Have her load the mag's as well.

Reactive targets. Give her something she REALLY wants to hit. spinners, steel(not to big) ground targets that move when hit and so on. If she likes what happens when she hits the target, she will slow down in order to make sure she gets that feedback without even thinking about it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Since this is GD, get her a muzzle loader, thatll slow her down and can load it soft enough that itll shoot like a .22
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
 Sounds like OP has lingering PTSD from the great rimfire shortage
View Quote

lol, if you only knew
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Ruger single six. Single action should do what you want.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a used P22 and load it with subs or standards.

That'll slow her down and she'll get good at clearing jams at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you already have something that's 3 to 4 inches?

Oh, wait... your asking about revolvers.

Ruger Single Six. Buy once, cry once.

Or in my case, buy twice, cry twice, and plan on crying a third time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Smith 617.  Done.

It's not cheap, but you get a gun that's not cheap.  It will be a good trainer for learning to shoot a revolver and she won't outgrow it.
View Quote

Sorry spend the extra money and get the best.  

617 is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I love the SP101 with a passion ( have one in 38 special ). Can't justify the $600 price tag though. If I could find a clean used one I'd jump on it for sure locally.
View Quote

I like double action for a trainer (for myself) over SA revolver. I got the SP101 (a bit small for my hands) before ruger reintroduced the GP100 in .22lr.

But hands down the best trainer I have for general shooting is a MkIII hunter. Stainless/heavy with a long site radius and a decent trigger... cant beat it.

I didn't want to spend the money on the Ruger MkIII when I got it. I ended up getting a P22 and Sig mosquito finally I got the Ruger and couldn't be happier. Buy once cry once type of thing, a stainless Ruger will outlast you and the next person to get it.

As far as the revolver goes, I looked at the smith 617(?) but it was just so tiny and expensive, I held the taurus and it was gritty and locked up when I was messing around with it in the LGS. Then Ruger re-introduced the SP101 in .22lr and I snagged one. (I also had 2 LCR in .22lr, gave one to my sister for college graduation before she moved out of state and one sits in the safe if mom ever wants it)

Anyways, $600 is a good bit of money, but in reality how much more is it than the next option? Owning a SP101 in .38 if you go DA wouldnt a SP101 in .22lr be the logical choice?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
If you plan to only buy one .22 revolver then here is my list.

S&W 617

Dan Wesson 22

Ruger Single Six

All three will provide you with a lifetime of fun.

I own the latter two along with ..

Ruger SP 101

Ruger LCR

Hell, if you really want to slow her down. get a used TC Contender break action.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Ruger Single Six or Bearcat.  If you can come up with a bit more cash the GP100 22LR.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I like double action for a trainer (for myself) over SA revolver. I got the SP101 (a bit small for my hands) before ruger reintroduced the GP100 in .22lr.

But hands down the best trainer I have for general shooting is a MkIII hunter. Stainless/heavy with a long site radius and a decent trigger... cant beat it.

I didn't want to spend the money on the Ruger MkIII when I got it. I ended up getting a P22 and Sig mosquito finally I got the Ruger and couldn't be happier. Buy once cry once type of thing, a stainless Ruger will outlast you and the next person to get it.

As far as the revolver goes, I looked at the smith 17 but it was just so tiny and expensive, I held the taurus and it was gritty and locked up when I was messing around with it in the LGS. Then Ruger re-introduced the SP101 in .22lr and I snagged one. (I also had 2 LCR in .22lr, gave one to my sister for college graduation before she moved out of state and one sits in the safe if mom ever wants it)

Anyways, $600 is a good bit of money, but in reality how much more is it than the next option? Owning a SP101 in .38 if you go DA wouldnt a SP101 in .22lr be the logical choice?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as the revolver goes, I looked at the smith 17 but it was just so tiny and expensive, I held the taurus and it was gritty and locked up when I was messing around with it in the LGS. Then Ruger re-introduced the SP101 in .22lr and I snagged one. (I also had 2 LCR in .22lr, gave one to my sister for college graduation before she moved out of state and one sits in the safe if mom ever wants it)

The Model-17/K-22 is a 6 inch barreled K-Frame, which is their medium frame used mostly for .38 (Models 10/64, 12, 14, 15/67) and some .357's (Models 13/65 and 19/66). It's hardly tiny.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Model-17/K-22 is a 6 inch barreled K-Frame, which is their medium frame used mostly for .38 and some .357's (Models 13/65 ans 19/66). It's hardly tiny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Model-17/K-22 is a 6 inch barreled K-Frame, which is their medium frame used mostly for .38 and some .357's (Models 13/65 ans 19/66). It's hardly tiny.

Maybe he's talking about a 317 Kit Gun?  The 17 is definitely sweet, but not tiny.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe he's talking about a 317 Kit Gun?  The 17 is definitely sweet, but not tiny.
View Quote

Sorry, edited original post, I think it was marked 617 might be a 317. It was a good bit smaller than the SP101, and that feels like a small gun to me. I think the taurus clone was the tracker model.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sorry, edited original post, I think it was marked 617 might be a 317. It was a good bit smaller than the SP101, and that feels like a small gun to me.
View Quote

Makes sense if you were looking at the 317, which is the small J-frame.  The 617 is on the K-frame also, just like the 17 and 18.

Not my photo but, here is a picture of two Model-17's (6inch and 8 3/8 inch) and a Model-18 (4inch). Smith and Wesson reintroduce the 17 in their classic line.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Makes sense if you were looking at the 317, which is the small J-frame.  The 617 is on the K-frame also, just like the 17 and 18.

Not my photo but, here is a picture of two Model-17's (6inch and 8 3/8 inch) and a Model-18 (4inch). Smith and Wesson reintroduce the 17 in their classic line.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/PALADIN85020/3-K22S.jpg
View Quote

I wasn't even aware they reintroduced the 17 with the Glory Hole.  Shame to do that to the ol' girl.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Of course, S&W K/J frame would be the correct answer. But they will be a budget buster unless you get really lucky.

Used Ruger Single Six sounds like the ticket. I see them pop up all the time and they're pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wasn't even aware they reintroduced the 17 with the Glory Hole.  Shame to do that to the ol' girl.
View Quote

For the suggested MSRP you can find a nice older one without the internal lock.  I'm looking for one. They say the new S&W revolvers are just as well made as the older ones. Perhaps. However, all my S&W revolvers are pre lock models and there's just something about the craftsmanship of the older ones over the newer versions.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I have owned two Ruger .22 revolvers--a Single Six, and presently a Single Ten.  Both are wildly inaccurate.  I sold the Single Six, and have considered selling the Single Ten.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Contrary to other folks experience I find the single six to be a solid gun and quite accurate. The drawback is it takes so long to load and unload I hardly ever take it to the range. Some do like it.

S&W 617. not cheap new or used but a wonderful gun .

I have handled and shot the charters, rough riders,Rossi , and taurus guns and they just don't compare with the 617 . rough actions , poor triggers put them way below the top tier 617 . So bad to be almost unusable. The triggers alone make them very hard to shoot .

Another usable gun is the Ruger LCR but it isn't as good as the 617 and costs nearly as much as the 617
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have owned two Ruger .22 revolvers--a Single Six, and presently a Single Ten.  Both are wildly inaccurate.  I sold the Single Six, and have considered selling the Single Ten.
View Quote
You should send it back to Ruger
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

One man does not discourage another man from buying a gun. It's a rule.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I find the opposite true with my single six and gp100.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I would seriously look at a couple of Heritage 22 single action. They work, not high end but you can easily get 2 for under $300.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Can you find a High Standard sentinel?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a stainless Taurus Tracker 970 in 22LR. It is awesome.  I am sure it will last many many years. Accurate as hell too. I think it comes in 4" too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#46]
If you are trying to save money, don't even look at a 617, because it will make most of the cheaper options seem like potmetal garbage unworthy of serious consideration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Go with a DA/SA revolver.  Teach her strictly with the DA trigger.  Put in a snap cap (those bright Ruger discs work well) and a coin on the barrel. She should be able to maintain her aim and work the trigger without the coin falling off.

I prefer the Colt Diamondback in 22 LR, but they're as rare as hens' teeth and probably very expensive.

My next choice would be any S&W DA revolver.

Third choice would be a Ruger SP.

I won't touch a Taurus.  They're cheaper and there's a reason.  You pay for it when it needs to be fixed.  Even if Taurus honors its "lifetime warranty", how long before it's returned.  Their hammer block safeties always break.  I made a replacement out of spring steel which lasts, but that takes a bit of file work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a old bearcat and I can't hit much with it
I suck and rarely shoot it but still.... Certainly not a natural hit getter for me anyway
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ruger single six. Single action should do what you want.
View Quote
This is where a lot of us started.  A better instructor won't require it, but there is no reason not to own a Ruger Super Single Six or Single Ten.

At one point, it was the only home defense pistol we owned.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

EAA bounty hunter.
great well built guns, plenty accurate, come with a .22LR and .22MAG cylinder.
full sized external dimensions,
can be had used for about $200
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top