User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's true. No one seems to want cars without AC but it's not that big of a deal to me. If my commute weren't a combination of rural roads and interstate and was instead city traffic I would want AC.

And it's not that I'm wanting stuff just to be difficult. It's just that I'm cheap and don't want to pay for what I consider unnecessary (power everything, auto trans, etc).
View Quote

With new cars, I think it's partially the combination of the facts that A/C and power windows are cheaper, cars have gotten more expensive, people keep cars longer and for more stages of their lives, and people don't want to take on debt without getting certain features.

Since before I started driving, my family has had an '85 F-150 around. The last time the A/C worked was probably 2003. In that truck, I can use the side window, the back window, and the triangular vent window to control airflow past me when I'm alone in the truck. The only time it gets bad is when it's hot and rainy, and I'm trying to balance between staying cool, staying dry, and defogging the windows. A/C makes that a non-issue.

I used to have a Nissan Titan with manual windows. There was no rear slider, and the triangular windows are history, so the only way to get crossflow was to open the passenger window. Because of the size of the truck and the center console, I couldn't practically reach the passenger door like I could in the old Ford, so opening that window meant walking around the truck. Fortunately, I had A/C.

Living without A/C and power windows isn't the end of the world, but there's no way in hell I'd finance a vehicle without them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have  the same 2009 versa 1.8L Standard 4 sp automatic. 95k miles

Mechanically has been very good, Has gone through two factory batteries and stupid the TPS crapped out which is no big deal. No other mech problems.

Only quirks are transmission slow to shift when very cold. Kinda gutless for a 1.8 esp with two or three adults and needs another high gear as it's spinning around 3200 RPM + doing 75-80 MPH which sucks for long highway driving MPG.........but it gets a honest avg 30 MPG.

Very roomy interior. For a cheap little car it has worked out fine.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top