Mauser 98 action
6.5 Swedish caliber with a 22 inch barrel
10 round magazine
Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk I sights
Bent bolt handle

Shut up and take my money!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
i too want a bolt action with actual irons. and mag fed.

why is this so hard?

Ruger scout...So close.....yet so heavy
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Also a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ideal for?
View Quote
This would be like Cooper's scout rifle, except not retarded.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Or just give up five rounds and get an 1891 Argentine Cavalry Carbine. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or just give up five rounds and get an 1891 Argentine Cavalry Carbine. 
View Quote
Nah. The 6.5 is what I want, and the 6.5 is what I will get. Also better sights. And a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Buy a Tikka of SAKO.
View Quote
The Mauser action and I have a sordid love affair. And I will be ever faithful.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mauser 98 action
10 round magazine
Bent bolt handle

View Quote

That would be silly..........the 98 Mauser action is 90 degrees with an overly long clunky action
which is extremely slow to work. There are many many many faster actions available.

if you are stuck running a bolt gun, run a damn fast one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That would be silly..........the 98 Mauser action is 90 degrees with an overly long clunky action
which is extremely slow to work. There are many many many faster actions available.

View Quote
Mauser with a bent bolt handle is extremely fast. The Lee enfield is probably a little faster, but the mauser is so smooth, plus the controlled round feed? Can't be beat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#11]
You are absolutely right...I bet that would sell upwards of one a year. Maybe two if it were cheap and you got an extra big tax return.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ 550. Mauser action. Ten round mag is available. Iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Building a 98(Spain) in 30-06 because iI got such a deal on the receiver and barrel. ($75) So I will build a rifle that will cost about $500 to build, that you can buy at a gun show for $300.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#14]
A couple years ago I hit on a similar notion.

But it was an Enfield Jungle Carbine in .308/7.62 with a Picatinny rail in place of the handguard and a modern Limbsaver recoil pad on the butt.  Use a Scout type scope or an Aimpoint.  

I am however on the lookout for a Ruger tang safety M77 long action as a basis for a featherweight 6.5 Swede hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mauser with a bent bolt handle is extremely fast. The Lee enfield is probably a little faster, but the mauser is so smooth, plus the controlled round feed? Can't be beat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand your love of a rifle, but what you say is simply not true.....

It's a 90 degree rotation which cocks on initial extraction with front locking lugs which lengthens the bolt throw...

A 60 degree design ( or less) with rear locking lugs would be a better action

regarding your
Controlled Round Feed
basically every single military bolt action fielded had some type of controlled round feed...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
How about a Sauer 200 STR---the rifle the Norwegians use in  Stangskyting.  The object of their game is to put as many rounds into targets (at random ranges) as possible in 25 seconds.  Their magazines can only be loaded with five rounds, and they are allowed three magazines.  It would not be difficult for 10 round magazines to be made for these.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How about a Sauer 200 STR---the rifle the Norwegians use in  Stangskyting.  The object of their game is to put as many rounds into targets (at random ranges) as possible in 25 seconds.  Their magazines can only be loaded with five rounds, and they are allowed three magazines.  It would not be difficult for 10 round magazines to be made for these.
View Quote

Sauer makes a nice rifle.

A Sako TRG-22 action would be a great starting point too, they are very very fast.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Start with the Ruger Gunsite (left handed)

-Change the magazine from proprietary to M1A spec.
-Notch the receiver for M1A stripper clips.
-Have the whole thing made by Tikka.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ideal for?

What's retarded about a lightweight, compact, bolt-action magazine rifle chambered in a nearly universally available full-power cartridge with iron sights, glass optional, and the ability to be used with a shooting sling?  That's basically what a Scout rifle is when it comes down to it.  Your rifle idea would still likely fall under his broader "general-purpose rifle" concept.

Me, personally, I'd like to see the following:

Mauser 98 small-ring action with magazine cut-off (perhaps more like the Turkish Mauser than the Springfield, but either works) and charger guide fitted with a fully adjustable ghost ring rear sight on the receiver bridge.  Bent-down bolt handle with a hollowed-out knob and also lightening cuts on the receiver.  Option for a cocking knob like on the Springfield.  Beveled extractor that allows for both push and controulled-round feed.  Option for cock-on-opening or cock-on-close

Have an option for a fixed magazine, either conventional integral type with hinged floorplate or a drop-box magazine (maybe a ten-rounder).  Have an option for a detachable double-column magazine designed specifically for use in a Mauser action, much like the Lee-Enfield magazine is specifically designed for use in that sort of bolt-action; that design might actually be a good place to start.  Magazine and bottom metal should be made out of an aluminum alloy.  Trigger guard should be Oberndorf style.

Barrel should be light or featherweight contour and of high quality, being also a pedestal barrel with integral bases for an IER scope for those who want that option, and a ramped front sight base that is also integral with the barrel, with an old-style folding hood and folding night sight, with the front sight being a blade with a squared profile adjustable for windage and removable using screws.  Muzzle extended beyond the front sight base enough so that it can be threaded, to allow for the use of a suppressor. Anywhere from 17-22" length.

Sturdy, lightweight synthetic stock with a non-stick rubber recoil pad, flush-mount QD swivel bases in the conventional positions and also for side-mounting and to also allow the use of a three-point-mount shooting sling.  Bring back the Clifton hideaway bipod as an option and also have handguards and associated furniture for those who want that option.

More specifically for sights I'm thinking of either direct attach to receiver, or, for those who want the option of conventional optics, a rail section on the receiver bridge with a pop-up emergency back-up aperture sight that is fixed for elevation.  Have another rail section on the receiver ring.  For scopes that don't use rings or need different mounting points, have a mount that attaches to the two rail sections.  Have a fully-adjustable rear sight that can be mounted onto the rear rail section.

Maybe have a couple of extra custom features as options for those who want them and also a light mount on the stock.  Offer a decent variety of cartridges.

Then again, I could also go with a metallurgically-improved Lee-Enfield No.1 Mk V with No. 4/5 style rear sights lightened like the Australian version of the "Jungle Carbine" and substituting a Mauser-style cutoff for the Lee-Enfield style cutoff and chambered for 7.62 NATO and related cartridges with an appropriately-configured charger guide, with a setup for use of a scope mount.  Perhaps also have a receiver-mounted trigger like on the No. 4 Mk II and eliminate the cup so that you can go to a one-piece stock like on the Canadian lightweight No. 4.  Otherwise configure it similarly to the Mauser above and have similar options.

Heck, I'd have both on my lineup if I were making such things.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mausers have been made in the past utilizing cock-on-close like the Lee-Enfield, which can further enhance speed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, there are about a squillion rifle builders in the country who'd be happy to build that for you.  Just call one and have your credit card ready.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:12:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, there are about a squillion rifle builders in the country who'd be happy to build that for you.  Just call one and have your credit card ready.
View Quote
Oh, I forgot to mention that it needs to cost $229.99.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh yes it can.. You have taken every bad idea and threw it together.. If what you were designing was a car it would look like this..

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
CZ 550. Mauser action. Ten round mag is available. Iron sights.
View Quote

wait wut? tell me about this!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh yes it can.. You have taken every bad idea and threw it together.. If what you were designing was a car it would look like this..

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/0/05/TheHomer.png/revision/latest?cb=20090908145331
View Quote
I believe you literally could not be more wrong. I have selected the best features available from several early bolt action rifles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:29:48 AM EDT
[#26]
If I was to make a wishlist of features from pre-Garand military rifles, the end result would probably be pretty close to the OP's list.

I'd be tempted to ask for/dream about a K-31 action, though...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mauser 98 action
10 round magazine
Bent bolt handle

View Quote
Substitute the Mauser action with a similar, but "cock on closing" bolt, then shut up and take my money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Substitute the Mauser action with a similar, but "cock on closing" bolt, then shut up and take my money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mauser 98 action
10 round magazine
Bent bolt handle

Argie Mauser is. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If I was to make a wishlist of features from pre-Garand military rifles, the end result would probably be pretty close to the OP's list.

View Quote
I love the K 31, but I think the action is a little heavy for this application. Granted, I didn't spell this out precisely, but such a rifle would be carried a lot and shot a little.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ideal for?
An AR in 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Just have someone put sights on a Tikka for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
An AR in 6.5 Grendel.
View Quote
I agree, from a purely practical standpoint. However, this is a bolt action love thread. Move along, good sir.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
A Tikka does not rain Germanic Fury from a perfect rifle action.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

wait wut? tell me about this!!
View Quote

Sorry. My bad. Ten round in .308 only.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:46:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love the K 31, but I think the action is a little heavy for this application. Granted, I didn't spell this out precisely, but such a rifle would be carried a lot and shot a little.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 1911 Karbine is a bit move svelte with a little better balance and I like it over my K31s for this reason.  But the rear sight's lowest setting is 300 meters.  If K31 sights could be fitted it would make a dandy walk about rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:49:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Germans never made the perfect rifle action.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:51:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup they are pretty damn sloppy.. and take a lot of work just to get something usable accuracy wise..

But what do I know about building bolt actions..
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:53:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Remington 700 your welcome.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yup they are pretty damn sloppy.. and take a lot of work just to get something usable accuracy wise..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and me both.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:00:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mausers have been made in the past utilizing cock-on-close like the Lee-Enfield, which can further enhance speed.
View Quote
Mauser 1893 system is the answer you seek.  Used in Latin America, South Africa, and all other places in the world.   
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, not even close.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Accuracy? If it can hit a 12" target at 400 yards, it is accurate enough. I really don't need better than that for this gun. And I really don't know what you know about building bolt actions.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell to the no. Remington is near the bottom end of the list.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:11:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Push feed garbage? Hard pass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mauser 1893 system is the answer you seek.  Used in Latin America, South Africa, and all other places in the world.   
View Quote
It certainly is a fine action. Easily second place on the list of options for this concept. Cock on close is great, just not what I want for this one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:14:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Tikka M595 Battue...

Join me in pestering Baretta with a weekly E-mail, demanding the damn thing to be imported.

It's been like 20 years, and they don't listen...but it's a quest as good as any other.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#47]
The Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk II already exists.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:21:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk II already exists.
View Quote
Apparently that's not good enough for the ultimate bubba fudd gun! 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should see the review Remington 700 based guns got from the PHs in Africa.  Even worse than I originally thought.  Total garbage for field use.  Pretty close to the bottom of the barrel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top