BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks that is what I was wondering. I will be getting it re-done before we sell again
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no way out of cutting the end tiles. If you center them you will have to make 2 cuts, one on either side. He didn't install anything incorrectly. It's is a matter of personal preference if the tile are centered or start in a corner.

You are the customer and should have specified you wanted it centered. He should have asked prior to quoting the job. Both of you were in the wrong. Don't be a dick, it is your OCD.

Thanks that is what I was wondering. I will be getting it re-done before we sell again

Contractor here, that is unacceptable and is the lazy way out by not centering the pattern. Also, is that white stuff on the seams drywall mud or some sort of waterproofing? If its mud, tell him he is done and you will hire a pro. Amateur hour is in full swing from the looks of things.

ETA: M*A*S*H post count  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I would have waterproofed the cement board before putting up the tile - he is using motor and not mastic - right?
View Quote

Please tell me you meant MORTAR right?

Yer not one of those guys that spells everything phonetically are you?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is the diverter valve 6" off the floor? That's what it looks like in the pic.
View Quote

No shit, that would be My deal breaker, did a tub come out of there and they just used the valve as is?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope. You're right, OP.

That's shit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Somebody's OCD is getting a workout.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Contractor here, that is unacceptable and is the lazy way out by not centering the pattern. Also, is that white stuff on the seams drywall mud or some sort of waterproofing? If its mud, tell him he is done and you will hire a pro. Amateur hour is in full swing from the looks of things.

View Quote

It is drywall mud 45.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The tub is below the 2x4's. the tub is the only thing that stayed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Rip that shit down and when he comes back in the am tell him to try again or fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember when we had our shower tiled and I asked how much I would save if we did the grouting, guy said fifty bucks, being younger and DUMB we thought GREAT, we can handle that.

Wellllll, what we didn't realize is that since we are on a septic system we cannot dump the water down the drain.  We had to hump the five gallon buckets out to the curb, dump 'em, rinse them out, carry them back into the house, up to the 2nd floor, fill, wipe down the grout, repeat.

Since the water gets dirty rather quickly when wiping down the tiles we had to keep swapping out the water like a conveyor system.

That SUCKED.  Lesson learned
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I must have trailer park taste, I don't see the problem. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Really.

I would rather have big tiles and one row of 4-6" wide cuts than a row of 2-3" cuts on either side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Really.

I would rather have big tiles and one row of 4-6" wide cuts than a row of 2-3" cuts on either side.

Me too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I just went to check on him and he is putting 9x12 vertical which is fine it looks good

Sorry, but it sounds like you are surprised that the contractor is using 9x12? Didn't you pick out the exact tile and size?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Build out that corner with 2 or 3 Built in Shelves, on a 45 Degree Angle.
It will add a nice touch and look like it was planned that way all along.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The tub is below the 2x4's. the tub is the only thing that stayed.
View Quote

Ok , can't see it in the pic. I still would have raised the valve but it's just a personal preference . I'm more concerned about lack of waterproofing than the tile layout but in reality the walls rarely leak unless there's a soap box or cracked out grout at the corners. Looks like it's good and straight and unless the grout is botched I wouldn't tear it out. The time to have acted was when you saw something you didn't like. If he is using polymer fortified thinset on the tile it won't come off without destroying the backer board too.... you'll be starting from zero and paying for a tear out too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]
You are selling the house, let the buyer make the decision to rip out the tile. Chances are if you don't mention it the buyer will most likely not notice it, a lot of new construction has worse flaws than what you have here OP.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is drywall mud 45.
View Quote

Are you serious?  If he put drywall mud on a shower wall he is a "hack". Everything else I can see is a matter of taste, but that's bs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
So here is all that was done today. I will say one thing the tile is nice and tight to the tall.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#20]
The layout of the tile is by far the least of your problems, and that is completely on you.  

If if that is drywall mud,  stop him right fucking now!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The layout of the tile is by far the least of your problems, and that is completely on you.  

If if that is drywall mud,  stop him right fucking now!
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote

It will disintegrate I believe
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#23]
In how long and whats should I tell heim exactly tomorrow. We are moving within the next 2 years and the tile that was on there was on drywall and it was good for the last 8 years before I noticed it and started this project.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remember when we had our shower tiled and I asked how much I would save if we did the grouting, guy said fifty bucks, being younger and DUMB we thought GREAT, we can handle that.

Wellllll, what we didn't realize is that since we are on a septic system we cannot dump the water down the drain.  We had to hump the five gallon buckets out to the curb, dump 'em, rinse them out, carry them back into the house, up to the 2nd floor, fill, wipe down the grout, repeat.

Since the water gets dirty rather quickly when wiping down the tiles we had to keep swapping out the water like a conveyor system.

View Quote

Your contractor would have just dumped it down the drain when you weren't looking...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Feel like those tiles should be listed horizontally.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait, what?  That juice is not worth the squeeze, IMO.  Wow.

ETA:  Shouldn't that drywall be green?  Except the ceiling, of course.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#27]
He must have learned to do tile around here. Haven't seen 1 tile job done right yet, counters, floors, walls, doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]
You measure the shower enclosure and then buy tile sized for the area so you have to cut it.
Incorporate different sized tiles into the design so you don't have to cut any tiles.
Measure it first and incorporate the cut tiles into the design.

I am not a fan of that "public bathroom" look you have going on.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amatueur! Have a waste bucket and run a sump with a hose going outside.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ETA:  Shouldn't that drywall be green?  Except the ceiling, of course.
View Quote

Never heard of Durock?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Never heard of Durock?  
View Quote

Oh.  Why drywall mud then?  Wouldn't it be thin set and fiber tape?  The layout doesn't bother me that much, but now I wonder.  Are the walls waterproofed behind the Durock?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Durorock is fine to tile on, if seems are sealed and they are using mortar you should be fine. Unlock dry wall Durorock won't swell but it will hold water and over time could cause mold if no water barrier is put over the substrate. For many years home builders went right over green drywall.

I would have set the tile horizontolm but it will be fine and give decent life.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess I'm in the minority here because it wouldn't bother me. At least not enough to pay someone else to redo it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The only person that will probably ever notice this is you. If you are selling the house and the work was reasonably priced, I would just run it.
View Quote
It looks kinda shitty, but a home buyer wont notice until they've lived in the place a while.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Im a pro. So i'll give you some pro tips.

1. Durock wicks water further and faster than sheet rock.  Tile, mortar, and grout are not permenant water barriers. Your durock will get wet, and it will spread water to the framing.

2. Durock grows mold. And when it does it stinks.

3. Durock and no moisture barrier is a recipe for disaster. Either use 6 mil plastic behind it (ew, i wouldn't) and deal with the smell of the mold in it, or use brush on membrane over it before you tile. Redguard is the most popular brand. It takes several coats with the normal grade to be thick enough. It takes a whole day to get the required coats.

Durock needs special coated large head screws for install. The seams and holes should be coated with tile mortar, and special resistant mesh tape. Not drywall mud.

3.5 My professional preference is schluter membrane. I've never had a call back, and i've never needed to tear it out of a failed shower. Durock gets demo'd out all the time, mostly from hack jobs like this.

4. Always start on the back wall. either center a tile, or center a grout line. Whichever gives you the best reveal on each cut edge. Patterns complicate things, but if you have half a brain you can make anything work.

5. That looks like home depot's daltile tile. Everyone uses the shit out of it. Its the same cost per sq ft for your lame pattern or something that looks nice with multiple tile sizes.

6. Fire your contractor and start over. You just threw money in the garbage. Its going to cost you more money to fix it in a rush before the closing date, than it will to fix it now.
The only thing he did right so far is start slightly less than 1 full course above the tub deck. Thats a good idea for several reasons.
$5 says he doesnt fill the screw holes though. He doesnt look smart enough to do that.
Take a trowel and start popping tiles off. Scrape the wall, and start Reguard-ing it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I just checked both my bathrooms, probably as old as my 50's house. They tried to keep full tiles at the corners. The side tiles go past the shower door so it's easier to hide any short tiles under the moldings.

My bath remodel will use solid sheets of cultured marble for the walls. So much easier to clean and keep the water in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#37]
That's awful work.

A) shown no sign of understanding a layout. Starting at 1 corner is a lazy way, that way he only has to cut/fit 1 end.
A 5' shower area, should have centered the tiles (not the grout line or you end up with a small strip on each end) and worked outward.

B) The tiles could have been more selectively chosen for placement. The arrangement with the type pf grain patterns/colors pulls the attention to 2 areas.

With that size of tile (anything 10" or larger), a brick pattern would have been more attractive. Large tiles tend to look boring when they don't have a lot of grain/texture....stacked patterns don't help.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Thats exactly how it's done in my bathroom.

drives me fucking nuts.

that and the jack and jill style door that leads to the hall, RIGHT outside the bedroom door. it bugs me so much I've considered getting rid of one of the doors. I just don't know which one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no way out of cutting the end tiles. If you center them you will have to make 2 cuts, one on either side. He didn't install anything incorrectly. It's is a matter of personal preference if the tile are centered or start in a corner.

You are the customer and should have specified you wanted it centered. He should have asked prior to quoting the job. Both of you were in the wrong. Don't be a dick, it is your OCD.

This. Tile centered and any cuts should be even on both sides. I wouldn't accept any cuts. Either float the walls so there are no cuts, or design the stall in the first place with no cuts.
25 years as a contractor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks guys, we are already over halfway done I guess, he said he will come tomorrow finish setting the tile and then grout in the afternoon. I thought it needed to be 24-48 hours but he said it's good to go 1 hour after. the problem is we need the shower. so since there is only 1 wall and all the area under the 2x4s we are going to let him finish and we will do it again. We don't have money right now to go buy tile and boards and everything all over again. We had to buy all the materials and we are just paying him to do it. How long until the durarock starts to get moldy?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Honestly I can't say he did anything wrong. The alternative would be to start on the middle as you suggested, but then you would have around 6"-7" cut on both sides of the back wall. But if you are not happy stop the guy and explain you will pay for the extra labor and material for him to start over and center it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I would be concerned about the lack of any waterproofing.  A shower should be 100% water tight before the title even goes up. Should have a waterproofing membrane such as kerdi, or redgard over the durarock.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would be concerned about the lack of any waterproofing.  A shower should be 100% water tight before the title even goes up. Should have a waterproofing membrane such as ditra, or redgard over the durarock.
View Quote

He never said anything about it so I didn't buy any and he already started.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#44]
With a 9x12 tile and what appears to be a gap ~4 inches, wouldn't laying them horizontal have fit perfectly?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
With a 9x12 tile and what appears to be a gap ~4 inches, wouldn't laying them horizontal have fit perfectly?
View Quote

yes but he didnt want to cut them when doing the walls. He told me after he had a few rows in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He never said anything about it so I didn't buy any and he already started.
View Quote

Therein lies the rub.  Please tell us you bought Durock™ screws.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#47]
why did you pick that color of tile, that's what my grandma would like 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Therein lies the rub.  Please tell us you bought Durock™ screws.
View Quote

Yes I asked the guy at home depot if I need special screws and he said yes so I bought them. The last time I tiled anything was over 10 years ago and I can't remember how to do that shit. I just remember having chalk lines everywhere, and I never did showers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes I asked the guy at home depot if I need special screws and he said yes so I bought them. The last time I tiled anything was over 10 years ago and I can't remember how to do that shit. I just remember having chalk lines everywhere, and I never did showers.
View Quote

Good news.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#50]
We are now hoping to just get this to last a few years the way it is. We are moving next year. He was going to do the floor but that is now out of the question, I might try to do it and see if I remember how.  Estimated move date is May 2018.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top