User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is Arfcom...get both.

Here's a rasp knife I am working on normalizing in my propane forge...it's been off for 10 minutes.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/misc/dck_radiant.jpg
I made it out of a broken air compressor and some plumbing fittings...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/forge1.jpg

That forge is mostly for blade work, and is mounted above my coal forge which I find MUCH more useful on a regular basis and use for everything except long (length, not time) soaks mostly for blade normalizing and quench heats.

Here's a video covering some basics of metal working where you can see the coal forge in action.  It covers the coal forge enough a clever person could make a version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZkoj1Wpf6Y

Honestly, going straight to propane is like going straight to a scoped rifle IMO. You miss a lot of important learning.  If you hate coal then use charcoal...personally I love the smell of coal going to coke.

Coal is stoopid cheap to use compared to propane.
View Quote

Yeah, learning how to tend a coal fire is great.  That is what I learned on.  If you are traditional blacksmithing that is the way to go.  However if you live in a neighborhood it may cause problems.  Also for me to get good coal it is $1 a pound.  Charcoal is much more.  Propane for me is $1.19 gal.  I can run all day on $15 propane compared to $50- $100 of coal.  The end user needs to take a look at what they need.  I also do a lot of long work.  Coal can be difficult to heat a 20+ inch long piece evenly.  

If someone is going to make knives rather than traditional blacksmithing I would recommend propane for sure.  But like I said solid fuel knowledge is a great asset.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  But like I said solid fuel knowledge is a great asset.
View Quote

I refuse to argue with your username.  

Coal is stoopid cheap here.   And I recycle charcoal from my woodstoves/fireplaces/firepits as a supplement to green coal in the forge.

I respect your ABS journeyman rating.  I was ignoring all of that as I am wont to do with such things until a master near me admonished me for not marking my blades.  I was dumbfounded, explaining I thought us amateurs should not aspire to such things.  He was adamant that my work was 'good enough' that at some point it would confuse/confound things and that  I should get a stamp and use it.  

So I did.

Where's our forum bro?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
This is actually the second thread in the past few weeks requesting a blacksmith subforum.  Blacksmith subforum

Maybe someday.  I would not mind moderating if they needed one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would not mind moderating if they needed one.
View Quote

I second the motion.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I refuse to argue with your username.  

Coal is stoopid cheap here.   And I recycle charcoal from my woodstoves/fireplaces/firepits as a supplement to green coal in the forge.

I respect your ABS journeyman rating.  I was ignoring all of that as I am wont to do with such things until a master near me admonished me for not marking my blades.  I was dumbfounded, explaining I thought us amateurs should not aspire to such things.  He was adamant that my work was 'good enough' that at some point it would confuse/confound things and that  I should get a stamp and use it.  

So I did.

http://home.windstream.net/jbperry/img_knf/dam1a.jpg

Where's our forum bro?
View Quote

Absolutely, sign your work.  Even if just starting out.   I have seen that touch mark before.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for a metalworking subforum. Ive been big into bladesmithing for awhile now
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Subbed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Aye.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#10]

That poor anvil!  Are the shoulders good near the horn?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Again I'd like to suggest it not be a blacksmithing forum, but a metalworking form, encourage all forms of metal working in the sub, casting, welding,machining, forging,printing, and anything else I've forgotten. if you've made it in metal, you can post it there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd be interested.

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Wouldn't mind seeing a metal working forum covering lathe, mill, and blacksmithing projects. As many of the folks here that are getting/using mini mills & lathes it could be beneficial for all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag and support!  I just caught this bug this year.  I need to get my anvil on a stand and refinish the top.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 to sub forum

Got into knife making a while back but haven't done much with it.

playing around with a split cross

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
+1 to sub forum

Got into knife making a while back but haven't done much with it.

playing around with a split cross

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/290627/IMG-20161129-195732-144028.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/290627/IMG-20161129-200255-144029.jpg
View Quote

Cool, I made a split cross for my mom out of a old wrought iron railroad spike, it almost looks like wood with the wrought iron grain.  I need to get up to my spot and harvest more of those old spikes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wouldn't mind seeing a metal working forum covering lathe, mill, and blacksmithing projects. As many of the folks here that are getting/using mini mills & lathes it could be beneficial for all.
View Quote

I agree, make it all metalworking.

Heck, just call it crafts and let the woodworkers in also.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Can anyone care to comment on what a good assortment of hammers are for this endeavor.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can anyone care to comment on what a good assortment of hammers are for this endeavor.
View Quote

A 3lb cross peen hammer from HF is a good start.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Get some ball peen hammers at HF too.  They're cheap enough, and if the handle falls out of them its a perfect time to reforge them into other tools.  I've used a 2lb HF engineers hammer for a long time.  I'm sure my new hammer will take it's place though once I get to swinging it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Hammers are a matter of personal choice.  Any of the Hammers found Here would be great.  

I use a couple Japanese style hammers I made, one about 1.75lbs the other about 3lbs.  One thing I would recommend is do not go too heavy.  A 2.5lb hammer should be fine for most basic forging.  If you need to go heavier you should find a striker.  

I was forging a few years then went to a 6lb hammer.  It was great.  I moved tons of material.  Right up until I developed tendinitis so bad I could not lift my arm or close my hand.  Took 6 months of rest and rehab to get back to work.

So my favorite hammer is a custom angle peen made by master knifesmith Ed Caffrey.  I use it probably 75% of the time when swinging a hammer.  For heavy stuff I use a 100lb mechanical hammer and a 45ton press.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I support this 

I just got my Alec Steel square circle hammer this week.  Haven't had a chance to use it yet https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116423/20170208-125524-143820.JPG
View Quote

I'm in on the forum! Let us know how that hammer works for you. I'll probably buy one from Alec when do does another run, Love his videos.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll be able to try it out on Sunday and I'll report back.  I can tell it will be an improvement since the handle isn't round.  I wish I had bought a cross pein as well, I'll probably get one in the next preorder.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes please.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#25]
DO IT!

We all like red hot steel here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
DO IT!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148252/redhot1--1--144380.JPG
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, why the mask at the forge?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That poor anvil!  Are the shoulders good near the horn?
View Quote

Shoulders are fair. I can't complain about a free Peter Wright anvil though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Since we don't have a forum to ask it in...  

Any of you experienced guys have any input on this forge?

Whitlox wood-fired forge

I've got a lot more trees on my property than I have propane or coal  
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Since we don't have a forum to ask it in...  

Any of you experienced guys have any input on this forge?

Whitlox wood-fired forge

I've got a lot more trees on my property than I have propane or coal  
View Quote

Looks interesting.   Wood charcoal does not get quite as hot as coal or coke.   But if you have enough wood that can be a option.  Just take the time to cook it down before getting started.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
DO IT!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148252/redhot1--1--144380.JPG
View Quote

I have a old propane tank that I want to turn into a forge. What is yours lined with? I was thinking of the blanket and fire brick
Also, what is a good burner for that size? and do you need 2 burners for that size?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Those that want such a forum, there is a procedure for doing this.  I don't remember the  exact details but when some of us wanted an airgun sub forum we contacted RAF (site staff) who gave us the procedure.  This thread does show part of what was needed: sufficient interest.   As I recall, a thread had to be made with the specific request in the title and original post.  This thread also had to be in the main forum where it would be located.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Sunday morning whatcha making thread bump.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I like this idea better than having two smoking-related subforums, which the site currently has.

My vote is a generalized metalworking/machining/black smithing subforum.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd love a metal working forum, maybe a catch all type with jewelry, blacksmithing, wood furniture(probably fits in the diy forum also), leather work and the like.

I work in leather, kydex, dabble in stock removal knives, knife mods, and generally try to build stuff before I buy something.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Though I'm not working today, here is what I. Am currently working on.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I have an interest in anything metal forming/machining related.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I guess we could encompass more areas than just metal working, then split into more forums if some areas become too big.

Today is my off day, I'm not making anything right now, but I did work on a few cool things at the shop recently.

a Vietnam vet brought this into the shop, wanted me to make a clasp for it, bonus points for those who can recognize it.

this is a casting and pavé job from back in December, it's not often I get to do both.

it should be noted the engravers ball used here is about 100 years old.

it's 10 kt white gold, with diamond and rubies, they supplied the gemstones, which is why you see some inconsistencies between the rubies.

Another bracelet!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#38]
transfer case chain?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Now I'm hungry for chili.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Primary Chain.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So my favorite hammer is a custom angle peen made by master knifesmith Ed Caffrey.  
View Quote

my dad and brother are friends with him, and i finally met him about 3 years ago.  the shop is amazing.  dad is a knifemaker, but i've never been particularly interested in it.  a half-hour in ed's forge, and suddenly i was youtubing smithing vids.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm a tier1 machinist
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#44]

COOL!

er

HOT!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#45]
A forum of this nature would be welcomed by me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#46]
As there is already a gunsmith forum in armory, I wouldn't be opposed to having it combined as a metalsmithing / metalworking forum.

And linked in general.

It would get a lot more participation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#47]
So the Alec Steele hammer is awesome.  It just feels right swinging it.  I didn't do any steel work today, instead I tried out coin mokume gane
with some quarters. I've done a few forge welds with mild steel, but
never damascus or anything like it.  I had fun with it.

I started out like this, didn't think It would really work so I half-assed it-Attachment Attached File

Starting to expand for some reason... I lost 6 out of the 10 quarters during this fiasco Attachment Attached File

I had 4 quarters left that welded completely.  They made a nice bookmark/ world's tiniest holdown tool.  It was originally going to be a necklace or ring for the wife, but it started coming apart on me when I bent it too sharply.  This works too.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I lost a second 8 quarter billet in the crack in the stump that my anvil sits on. That was enough frustration for the day, so I called it quits.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So the Alec Steele hammer is awesome.  It just feels right swinging it.  I didn't do any steel work today, instead I tried out coin mokume gane
with some quarters. I've done a few forge welds with mild steel, but
never damascus or anything like it.  I had fun with it.

I started out like this, didn't think It would really work so I half-assed it-https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116423/20170212-092528-145472.JPG

Starting to expand for some reason... I lost 6 out of the 10 quarters during this fiasco https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116423/20170212-093420-145475.JPG

I had 4 quarters left that welded completely.  They made a nice bookmark/ world's tiniest holdown tool.  It was originally going to be a necklace or ring for the wife, but it started coming apart on me when I bent it too sharply.  This works too.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116423/20170212-154719-145476.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116423/20170212-155032-145477.JPG

I lost a second 8 quarter billet in the crack in the stump that my anvil sits on. That was enough frustration for the day, so I called it quits.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116423/20170212-171147-145486.JPG
View Quote

Cool mokume @Spiral_Out, this is one of those things that is very hard to learn.

One of the things I've found about mokume is to always start big, expect to grind off a significant part of your edges which don't fuse well, and to silver solder the hell out of the cracks that show up later in the process.

you should try flattening out a bunch of quarters into a sheet for a belt buckle, it's easier with less de-lamination issues since you don't have to hammer on the seams.  

this is a 260 cartridge brass and nickel silver ring I made. I've since added a silver lining to the inside to prevent your finger from turning green.
Someday I'll succeed in making a silver/copper ring, my first one pooled into an alloy mix, turns out I had the kiln set about 150 degrees too hot.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm just a tinkerer, but to have a dedicated forum here would be amazing. 
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd frequent a metalworking forum.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top