Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Been following this thread from day one.

I live at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi, after looking at all the inflow/outflow numbers I did some checking of the Mississippi.

Just south of me at Memphis......Holy Shit ZOMGWTFBBQ its been flowing about 1.4 Million cfs for the last week!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I was reading a magazine at the barber shop the other day. It had an aerial photo of the dam. Was that yours?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody have any idea what they're doing with the big crane visible in the new spillway webcam?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anybody have any idea what they're doing with the big crane visible in the new spillway webcam?
View Quote
Looks about to be a 100 ton track crane.

I'd guess probably going to be used to build the on-site batch plant.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was reading a magazine at the barber shop the other day. It had an aerial photo of the dam. Was that yours?
View Quote
I presume you're asking me?  I've not left OR during this whole thing.  All the pictures I've posted are found online... from the CA DWR website... twitter... other forums... or screen captures from live streams and youtube videos.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]
another flyover video from Juan

Oroville 15 May Update -Recovery
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Juan, excellent audio and video.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Newest DWR vid

Oroville Spillway May 16, 2017
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Is that pad on the bottom right of the spillway where the concrete plant goes?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#12]
gates to close for the season tomorrow at 9am

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Good, they have a lot of work to do.
It will be interesting to watch.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAHX-sjVwAAYzWd.jpg
View Quote
Still waiting on massive snow melt
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I suppose they will be using the power house to maintain outflow.
Is 8000 CFS, IIRC.
I've also been thinking about all the snow in the mountains...
Hope they have it calculated...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAHX-sjVwAAYzWd.jpg
It's already mostly melted.

Whatever is left they are saying can be handled by the power plant outlets and the repaired river valve outlet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Well, their CAT dealer is getting some mega bucks.

Those look like new 773's.  Let alone the rest of the iron there..
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Oroville Dam Damage a 10 on scale of 10 says Expert

Sounds like planned 'repairs' are a band aid.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc7vgdziUjw
Sounds like planned 'repairs' are a band aid.
View Quote
That doesn't sound real good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Batch plant is being assembled at the boat ramp parking lot.

and lots of drilling going on all over.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like they're building access ramps onto the lower part of the spillway. Although why they're shoving dirt into it the hole, there in the middle on the left side, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Spillway webcam
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The professor seemed a bit biased toward "decomissioning" in the interview, but he was right about DWR having no concept of "safe" or "risk".     Reporter was wrong in that it took 3 years to build just the spillway originally.  

I can see how it might take 2 seasons now, but 3 full years?  With no enviro regs causing delays, what could make it take that long?    Though the ongoing lack of a batch plant tells me quite a bit straight off.
View Quote
A similar spillway 200 miles away took a decade and nearly $1 billion to finish.

These things are bigger than you are thinking.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks like they're building access ramps onto the lower part of the spillway. Although why they're shoving dirt into it the hole, there in the middle on the left side, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Spillway webcam
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have been wondering about decommission this dam. Without full use of both of the original river diversion tunnels, could they drain the reservoir quickly enough with water flow through the current penstock tunnels into the power plant and river diversion valve before the next rain season?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have been wondering about decommission this dam. Without full use of both of the original river diversion tunnels, could they drain the reservoir quickly enough with water flow through the current penstock tunnels into the power plant and river diversion valve before the next rain season?
View Quote
no. 

Without repairs they could not drain the lake sufficiently.

But it's not a good idea to remove the Dam even if they could.  The record flows that caused this mess are precisely why the Dam is there.  It's to prevent those flow levels from getting down stream and flooding everyone down there.  If they had maintained the spillway such that it didn't get a hole in it... then they wouldn't have had to shut it down while they checked it out... and could have been using it to flow out reasonable amounts of water that down stream could handle and it would absorb the flood flows like it was designed to.  But because they had to shut it down water built up higher than it should have... add to that the concern about running the spillway at higher flow rates due to increased erosion and the situation got out of hand. Point is... the Dam is a good thing... They just have to run it correctly as flood control and maintain it properly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
no. 

But it's not a good idea to remove the Dam even if they could.  The record flows that caused this mess are precisely why the Dam is there.  It's to prevent those flow levels from getting down stream and flooding everyone down there.  If they had maintained the spillway such that it didn't get a hole in it... then they wouldn't have had to shut it down while they checked it out... and could have been using it to flow out reasonable amounts of water that down stream could handle and it would absorb the flood flows like it was designed to.  But because they had to shut it down water built up higher than it should have... add to that the concern about running the spillway at higher flow rates due to increased erosion and the situation got out of hand. Point is... the Dam is a good thing... They just have to run it correctly as flood control and maintain it properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no. 

I get all of that. But everything has a lifespan, right? That guy in video above is talking about how the head gate structure is cracking. Replacing that might mean having to keep the reservoir at significantly lower level and relying on the power plant and river valve to maintain it there. I am just curious that if the dam became somehow compromised that it needed to be basically shut down for major repair or replacement, could it? Even with the energy dispersion ring properly replaced to allow safe use of the river valve, could they flow enough water out of the reservoir to empty it? How many cfs would that flow?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#30]
When did they fix the river valve?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When did they fix the river valve?
View Quote
In one of the last 2 videos from Juan he mentioned it was repaired.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I get all of that. But everything has a lifespan, right? That guy in video above is talking about how the head gate structure is cracking. Replacing that might mean having to keep the reservoir at significantly lower level and relying on the power plant and river valve to maintain it there. I am just curious that if the dam became somehow compromised that it needed to be basically shut down for major repair or replacement, could it? Even with the energy dispersion ring properly replaced to allow safe use of the river valve, could they flow enough water out of the reservoir to empty it? How many cfs would that flow?
View Quote
if the valve is repaired... I don't no how much they can release through it.  I remember it was said somewhere within this thread but I can't remember the exact figure... I want to say something like an extra 10,000 cfs could go through it... but That could be completely wrong. 

They would need a way to get about 200,000 cfs out of the lake to safely shut everything down for major repairs.  I don't believe they can do that with the power plant + river valve... and would need to add some other method of getting water out of the lake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Oroville Spillways May 21, 2017 "The Bridge"
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder how low they are going to go with it. 835 is as low as the spillway will go isn't it? They must be using the hydro plant now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Isn't this dam the cornerstone of the aqueduct system for supplying water to the cities? Without this dam, what happens to drinking water in Southern California?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Isn't this dam the cornerstone of the aqueduct system for supplying water to the cities? Without this dam, what happens to drinking water in Southern California?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Didn't even need to hammer it, its front just fell off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Album part 1

Album Part 2

Reminder... more at links than I post.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#40]
What happened to all the Whailing Wendies who thought the world in CA was coming to an end...

And bitched about everything the Engineers were doing to fix this issue...

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Wonder how much money the guy with the water hose is making?  And why didn't my guidance counselor tell me about jobs like that?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wonder how much money the guy with the water hose is making?  And why didn't my guidance counselor tell me about jobs like that?
View Quote
Union operator in CA?

Probably 25-30+ and benefits.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, their CAT dealer is getting some mega bucks.

Those look like new 773's.  Let alone the rest of the iron there..
View Quote
We have a lot of parts in those trucks and that D10.  Business has been good 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What happened to all the Whailing Wendies who thought the world in CA was coming to an end...

And bitched about everything the Engineers were doing to fix this issue...

View Quote
Hold on and let me make something up................Oh My God they put the batch plant in the lake. Now it will flood and they won't finish and the dam will break kill everyone on the west coast. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Per California Department of Water Resources beginning as soon as Wednesday, May 24th, there will be aggressive
blasting operations at the Oroville Spillway, possibly on a daily basis.Exact times are not known, but do not be surprised if you hear
explosions.

As part of the recovery process, FERC is requiring that DWR install a siren at the construction site during the term of the
construction.  The purpose of the siren is to notify construction workers if they need to evacuate the construction site (i.e., for
blasting), as well as notifying people adjacent to the site (i.e., hikers, fishermen, neighbors etc.) that they need to be aware something
will be happening at the construction site.  The siren is not for community evacuation purposes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
And you know someone won't read this and freak out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Someone please enlighten me. Is the 'river valve' the same as the diversion tunnels or part of them?

TY
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#48]
if they're blasting a bunch today... you'll want to have this stream open

http://www.parks.ca.gov/live/lakeorovillesra_spillway
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow!  Thanks!  Have no idea why I'm so dam interested in this dam dam.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Notice:The live stream for the Lake Oroville SRA Spillway may be offline today (5/24/2017) for maintenance.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top