Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surf's up.

Hope it holds though.
View Quote

The dam itself will be fine. What will suck is all the shit that is going to end up in the river. Huge amounts of erosion can cause flooding, fish kills, all sorts of nasty stuff downstream.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Dam

All I got except:

"Is it a God Dam?"

Are there no little Dutch boys in Cali?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dam it all to hell.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The dam itself will be fine. What will suck is all the shit that is going to end up in the river. Huge amounts of erosion can cause flooding, fish kills, all sorts of nasty stuff downstream.
View Quote
I wish it would kill off the politicians in Sacramento.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Glad to see California was busy repairing and expanding water storage infrastructure during the drought when water levels were low.

Didn't have time/money for that. Too busy expending effort on "sky is falling" drought education and enforcement (with a healthy dose of global warming and probably some LGBT outreach).
View Quote

This can not be said often or loud enough.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wish it would kill off the politicians in Sacramento.
View Quote

Ain't that the dam truth. Maybe take out the guys who stayed the emergency drought order even though like 50 counties in Cali are under flood threat

Edit for clarification as I mean flood waters and not an individual
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't forget the gays as well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What concerns me is the possible backlash against innocent Muslims this could create.

Don't forget the gays as well

I'm just glad that nobody made a very inappropriate reference to the "poor wetbacks."
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because this would erode the base and abutments of the bridge leading to catastrophic failure of the entire structure (just guessing here but its pretty intuitive.
View Quote

Yup. That's the concern. That much water is a helluva erosion tool. I still remember the Teton dam break very vividly. It was nuts how quick that thing went once it started to go. Like Mt. Saint Helens.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Of course now that this is an epic shitshow, CA can reach out to the feds for piles of money to fix the problem.  On everyone else's dollars.

Then they will brag about "job creation"
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#11]
They are going to need a whole shitload of sandbags downstream if that sucker breaks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hell, anytime it was dry would have been a good time to walk it and see if there are any issues to fix BEFORE they become a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1 year ago, the reservoir had half the water in it than it currently has.  Should would have been a good time to do some of that deferred maintenance 
Hell, anytime it was dry would have been a good time to walk it and see if there are any issues to fix BEFORE they become a problem.

C'mon guys. Get with the program here! Sanctuary cities and LGBT issues are MUCH more important than any damn/dam maintenance. Because... ma feelz!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That entire state needs to get it's shit together.

They keep ignoring the signs.
View Quote

California is an unsustainable development.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Just make all the cities down stream sanctuary cities right away and move people in starting right now.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just watched this on YouTube last night. Wonder if this is in its future. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDmwo5nsWfQ
View Quote

DAYUMMM/DAMN/DAM!!! Earthen damn failures are always impressive to watch. Water is badass stuff. I would be nervous about living in the floodpath of an earthen dam. Fortunately, I live near the Yellowstone River... which is the longest un-damed river in the country. Granted... we're close to the Yellowstone Caldera... so we have our our issues with risk of large amounts of earth to be moved on top of us quickly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, and I bet the young engineers working for the state and educated at the California university of engineering and social justice feelz, will come up with a totally different answer that has some shit to do with global warming, environmental protection, Trump is a Hitler, and illegal immigration is good for California, and the outcome will be disastrous.

Why? because that is how California operates. How do I know? I was born and raised and lived there for 32 years and have seen the droughts, wild land fires, rains, floods, canyon homes sliding off their foundations, lake levels rise and fall, droughts, wild land fires, rains, floods, canyon homes sliding off their foundations, lake levels rise and fall, cycle so many times it's almost predictable. 
View Quote

California is just messed-up (at least south of the Bay area). I feel for Arcommers and other good people stuck there. It's a beautiful state with amazing weather. But it's just a sad place regarding PC bullshit, debt, infrastructure, etc. I wish that we could trade our commies in Missoula (MT) for the good people in CA. I'm sure that Texas would love to trade their commies in Austin for good CA people too. We should have a massive "prisoner swap" to isolate the retards to the coasts and then pray for a tsunami on both coasts. Sounds harsh... but seriously... America's asshole is in dire need of an enema.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Interestingly though, Lake Mead is still in danger of reaching critical low water levels, it's at 39% capacity now, and falling.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Leftist California is an unsustainable development.
View Quote

Corrected for you.  There's nothing terribly unsustainable about California under a rational government.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interestingly though, Lake Mead is still in danger of reaching critical low water levels, it's at 39% capacity now, and falling.
View Quote

That's the weird part. Last time my wife and I flew over it in June (on approach to LAS) I was amazed at the size of the white band around lake. It's pretty sad. We were at Hoover several years ago and it was ridiculously low even then. That lake seriously needs some of this water!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe they can fill that hole with diversity.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Eh just put a tarp over it or something
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's the weird part. Last time my wife and I flew over it in June (on approach to LAS) I was amazed at the size of the white band around lake. It's pretty sad. We were at Hoover several years ago and it was ridiculously low even then. That lake seriously needs some of this water!
View Quote

and I remember watching when the water was flowing over the spillway back in the 80s.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe CA should ask Trump for help?
View Quote

They'd suffer a complete failure and die first! And then blame the Trump administration... just like the douchebags in NOLA blamed Bush for their own failing to use fed funds to bolster maintain their dikes and better prepare for flooding. Keep in mind... these large urban populations have been turned into ignorant, petulant children by decades of democrap control.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I was loo at Google satellite view and it looks like they had to extend their boat ramps a couple of times due to the lake getting lower.
Maybe instead, they could have spent that money on the dam / spillway chute.

Looks like there are entire parking lots now under water I would guess.

Maybe when it goes it will cut a rut deep enough to let the western part of the state break off and fall in the ocean.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As long as there is the possibility that Califonians die, GD shall rejoice.
We're getting yet another storm now, another several inches of rain.
View Quote

I rarely relish death. And I feel for you good people stuck behind enemy lines. But nature has a way of forcing reality of EVERYONE -- even all of the brainless idiots in CA. If anythings... these disasters are like a good, hot shower for your state and may serve to clean up at least a few dirty, stinky hippies.

Anyways... good luck to the minority of good people in CA. Dam breaks are tough disasters to bounce back from.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
How can you say that with 100% certainty? Is it not an earthen dam? I think it is made up of clay and rocks for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Wonder if they can drain the Thermalito Bays real quick to make room for the impending flood, or if they have the capacity to route the flood around town.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't get it. Why don't they just say "fuck the spillway" and fix it when the water levels are lower?
View Quote

That's what it said at the end of the article.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Heck its rained so much here the ocean is starting to rise, then it's going to get real ugly!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Glad to see California was busy repairing and expanding water storage infrastructure during the drought when water levels were low.

Didn't have time/money for that. Too busy expending effort on "sky is falling" drought education and enforcement (with a healthy dose of global warming and probably some LGBT outreach).
View Quote

Just like everything else, it's not a problem until it is a problem.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They spent the money on other useless things.
View Quote

Fixed...  
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#33]
As of 930 this morning, I was 21 feet from overflowing.  They released a bunch of water down the broken spillway over night.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#34]
spillway vid

Good video of concrete being owned by water at that spillway.

I think they're fucked at this point, it's up to mother nature what the end game is.
I'm thinking the emergency spillway is an abandon all hope and GTFO option.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Look at the erosion on the right side of the spillway from the failure down. From there down the whole right side is undermined. Their soon gonna lose that side too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Some how I foresee federal money coming into play after the disaster despite Cali wanting to fund lawyers for illegals and everything else their lives require and then some.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The poor snail darters will be washed into the Pacific Ocean...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As long as there is the possibility that Califonians die, GD shall rejoice.
We're getting yet another storm now, another several inches of rain.
View Quote

GD, like Mother Nature, can be a cruel, heartless Bitch.  

But this time, you did it to yourselves.  

Direct your energy and venom toward the real enemy.    
Hint:  it ain't GD.    .
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#39]
lol california, at least the illegals have better health care than most
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I remember watching a special on a dam failure that killed a bunch of people and wiped out a town or two.
As I recall the damn let go in the night and a few survivors remembered the noise they heard as the water was rushing down the valley.

My neighbors house was washed away when we had a flash flood and that was from a creek. Further down a husband and wife were killed when it took their house and they never found one body.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What concerns me is the possible backlash against innocent Muslims this could create.
View Quote

Yes.  And the LGBTQ community as well.

Millions should be spent reaching out to these communities and educating people to not hold this against them.  For the children...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much just muslim refugees downstream.  Almost sounds like Trump is punishing muslims/californians...a two-fer.  Sad.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Just fill it full of Mexicans and it will get fixed in no time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
spillway vid

I think they're fucked at this point, it's up to mother nature what the end game is.
View Quote
That hole got YUUUGE
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

So what town full of Communists will this tsunami wipe out?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag for updates and huuuge Dam failures  

Gotta love Kali priorities
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully not Oroville. RCBS is based there. 
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh, give me $10mil and access to some big helicopters and I'd have it fixed by end of next week and only stop the water flow for a few hours tonight.

Divert the water around and over the hole with Bailey bridges and culverts, drop about 1500 Chinook loads of sand, gravel and riprap in the hole and cover with 1000 Chinook loads of concrete.

Could probably use about 100 union guys,,, maybe 150.  

Or 6 ARFCOMer's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
spillway vid

View Quote

Here in Cali it isn't bread and milk and eggs, its nilla wafers and TP. LMAO!!!

Oh yeah I think someone should capture the "engineer" guys section where he claims they don't expect any real problems. LMAO

He might be related to the Iraqi guy saying everything is fine with tanks rolling through the background.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good video where you can see the scale of the hole. It's enormous.

To be clear, the erosion is going UP the spillway. http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article131579999.html
View Quote

Yeah. Not gonna buff out....
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top