Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 9:28:05 PM EDT
I went up to Santa Fe today to testify against these bills.  This morning, it was specifically HB50.  This was a committee hearing, not a full vote, but it did pass the committee this morning, right down partisan lines.  They are both virtually identical, and both would require that you go through an NICS background check not only for private sales, but also if you just wanted to let a buddy borrow a firearm.  Even worse, you would have to go through a background check just to get your own firearm back after lending it to your buddy.  It is absurd.  The bills are also internally contradictory and they have some moot sections based on the way it is written.

Here is the text of the bill:
NM SB48

One of the groups that is pushing this bill is funded by Bloomberg, which means that NY money is coming into influence NM politics, which as a native of this state, really pisses me off.  The specific organization is Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense In America, which is part of Everytown For Gun Safety, which is a Bloomberg creation.  I was told this morning that some of the people getting up to testify to the legislature (they were wearing red shirts) were from out of state.  I don't know if it was true or not, but when I got up to speak, I introduced myself with "My grandfather was born in the United States Territory of New Mexico, I'm a New Mexican."  I pointed out that this will create a new class of criminal who is more heavily armed than the entire LEO apparatus of the State of New Mexico, which will in turn erode their authority and erode the rule of law.  

There were several hours of testimony from both sides, and after that was done, the committee voted 3-1 to pass the bill on to the next step, which is another committee hearing.  

I am currently working on an in depth analysis of the bill, and then will use that to produce a 1 page (or less) bullet point document about the bill for quick reference.  I am going to spam the entire legislature with it.  My senator is against this bill, and she is also my neighbour, so that helps.  I also want to target the senators and representatives who introduced this legislation the next time they are up for reelection.  I was on a campaign several years ago where a NOT hated incumbent was ousted where our candidate won ~65-35 in the primaries.  That is unheard of in politics, but I know how that campaign was run, and it was run very different than a typical campaign.  I will offer up my services at the next election to get these people out of there.  Ideally, at least one or two should be ousted in the primaries by pro gun dems (yes, we have those here,) just to send a message:  DON'T FUCK WITH OUR GUNS!

For fellow New Mexicans on here, I will keep you updated as this progresses, but it looks like we're headed to this passing the house and the senate, but that it will likely be vetoed by the governor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is the quick and dirty of the Bloomberg financed/pushed WA State law;

I hand you a gun, you had it back 2 seconds later, two felonys;

feel safer now
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the update, although I thought the committee was 3-2 Dems? Anyway you should update the HTF thread and the other GD thread, and thanks for standing for us. I've been out of state and frustrated I couldnt make it to the committee hearing.

EDIT for retarded levels of typo. Fuck you phone.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
No, but if I can find any case law that will support my position, and this does become law, I am going to "lend" my friend a firearm using an FFL for a background check, then sue the state to recoup the costs to get my own fucking property back.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the update, although I right the committee was 3-2 Dems? Anyway you should update the HTC thread and the other GD thread, and thanks for standing for us. I've been out of state and frustrated I coyote make it to the committee hearing.
View Quote

One of the Rs was absent, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway.  As new committee hearings come up, I will keep everybody updated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the rub... the FBI has already stated they're not going to do background checks for temproary transfers.  The system won't handle it.  Nevada put it on the ballot, then after it barely passed the Attorney General issued an opinion that it was unenforceable.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's the rub... the FBI has already stated they're not going to do background checks for temproary transfers.  The system won't handle it.  Nevada put it on the ballot, then after it barely passed the Attorney General issued an opinion that it was unenforceable.
View Quote

That is good to know.  If you can provide a source, I'll include it in my analysis of the bill.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went up to Santa Fe today to testify against these bills.  This morning, it was specifically HB50.  This was a committee hearing, not a full vote, but it did pass the committee this morning, right down partisan lines.  They are both virtually identical, and both would require that you go through an NICS background check not only for private sales, but also if you just wanted to let a buddy borrow a firearm.  Even worse, you would have to go through a background check just to get your own firearm back after lending it to your buddy.  It is absurd.  The bills are also internally contradictory and they have some moot sections based on the way it is written.

Here is the text of the bill:
NM SB48

One of the groups that is pushing this bill is funded by Bloomberg, which means that NY money is coming into influence NM politics, which as a native of this state, really pisses me off.  The specific organization is Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense In America, which is part of Everytown For Gun Safety, which is a Bloomberg creation.  I was told this morning that some of the people getting up to testify to the legislature (they were wearing red shirts) were from out of state.  I don't know if it was true or not, but when I got up to speak, I introduced myself with "My grandfather was born in the United States Territory of New Mexico, I'm a New Mexican."  I pointed out that this will create a new class of criminal who is more heavily armed than the entire LEO apparatus of the State of New Mexico, which will in turn erode their authority and erode the rule of law.  

There were several hours of testimony from both sides, and after that was done, the committee voted 3-1 to pass the bill on to the next step, which is another committee hearing.  

I am currently working on an in depth analysis of the bill, and then will use that to produce a 1 page (or less) bullet point document about the bill for quick reference.  I am going to spam the entire legislature with it.  My senator is against this bill, and she is also my neighbour, so that helps.  I also want to target the senators and representatives who introduced this legislation the next time they are up for reelection.  I was on a campaign several years ago where a NOT hated incumbent was ousted where our candidate won ~65-35 in the primaries.  That is unheard of in politics, but I know how that campaign was run, and it was run very different than a typical campaign.  I will offer up my services at the next election to get these people out of there.  Ideally, at least one or two should be ousted in the primaries by pro gun dems (yes, we have those here,) just to send a message:  DON'T FUCK WITH OUR GUNS!

For fellow New Mexicans on here, I will keep you updated as this progresses, but it looks like we're headed to this passing the house and the senate, but that it will likely be vetoed by the governor.
View Quote

I'm praying that's the case.  I emailed the honorable Gov. Martinez and respectfully asked her to not allow innocent Americans to be made into criminals by signing such nonsense.

Some day I'll return to NM, and I don't want it to be worse off in terms of the 2A than when I left it in 1997.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought NM was solid territory with no risk of this crap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing is solid when you have a pompous billionaire shithead like Bloomberg funding Democrats.  CO raised up a grass roots movement that ousted their cocksuckers, we'll do the same here, but we might be able to prevent the law from getting onto the books in the first place.  There are a lot of pro gun people here, but the Dems have lost it after the election of Trump, and they are gnashing their teeth going after everything that they can.  Their party is a very dangerous dying beast right now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Support for gun rights is strong among the population here across party lines more so than other states I've lived in. This is a blessing and a curse, because the retards who get voted into office follow the national party line rather than voting for their constituents. I have a lot of Democrat friends who are against further gun laws but that doesn't matter much if the politicians they vote for aren't of the same opinion.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate NY money...
 Stay strong NM !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top