User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want to be able to use the sling as a shooting aid, for which it was designed, you'll need to reposition the front sling swivel so that it is on the stock and not the barrel.  The tension can shift POI, and not necessarily with consistency.
View Quote

Not a good idea with a bigbore. The sling swivel tends to be very near where the average person puts their hand and it hurts like a fucker when recoil rams it into your palm/fingers. With big game rifles a sling is little more than a carrying aid.

Nice rifle OP, thanks for updating us. Good choice on the scope too. I never saw the need to spend the money on a Leupold-until I bought a rifle from my uncle that had one on it(Vari-XIII 6.5-20X). Amazing difference between that and a cheap POS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not a good idea with a bigbore. The sling swivel tends to be very near where the average person puts their hand and it hurts like a fucker when recoil rams it into your palm/fingers. With big game rifles a sling is little more than a carrying aid.

Nice rifle OP, thanks for updating us. Good choice on the scope too. I never saw the need to spend the money on a Leupold-until I bought a rifle from my uncle that had one on it(Vari-XIII 6.5-20X). Amazing difference between that and a cheap POS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to be able to use the sling as a shooting aid, for which it was designed, you'll need to reposition the front sling swivel so that it is on the stock and not the barrel.  The tension can shift POI, and not necessarily with consistency.

People have done it and been satisfied with it.  Obviously Jeff Cooper comes to mind first, and he did in fact use his sling as a shooting aid in the field.  The forearm on his rifle was possibly longer than that typical today on sporters, though.  He also used flush-mount swivel cups, but that only matters when the sling is not in use.  

In any case, the point stands that you can't really use a sling as a shooting aid in that configuration.  A shooting sling is therefore kind of pointless with this configuration.  Might as well just go with a simple carrying strap type sling.

I also don't think that a scope has much of a place on a dangerous game rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations!

Not my first choice but a good choice neonetheless!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I also don't think that a scope has much of a place on a dangerous game rifle.
View Quote

It's not a choice I'd personally make either, but as long as the sights are zeroed instead of just cosmetic, especially in this case, I don't see anything wrong with it-OP did mention it's a "never going on a" safari rifle. For an expensive to shoot, or overkill deer rifle why not?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Its more of a "do all plains game" rifle with big 5 capabilities. Using cast bullets it shouldn't be more than a few pennies more expensive than FMJ 5.56 per round for blasting. Good solids and expanding projectiles (TSX notwithstanding) are well over a buck a pop though. I know the barrel band is less useful than a fore end mounted stud, but Safari rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
but Safari rifle.
View Quote

Exactly!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top