Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Winchester Mdl 70 in .458 WinMag is the rifle you seek!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
E in .375 H&H. 
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has came to my attention that Winchester Safari Expresses are cheaper than I though. I could grab one in .416 rigby pretty easy. Hmm...TO MANY OPTIONS!
View Quote

No contest.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It has came to my attention that Winchester Safari Expresses are cheaper than I though. I could grab one in .416 rigby pretty easy. Hmm...TO MANY OPTIONS!
View Quote
You sure about that?  Winnie 70 is a standard (thutty-aught-six) length action; the .416 RIGBY needs a true magnum receiver.  A .416 REMINGTON MAGNUM fits.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A.  Ruger African with muzzle break in 375 for all your reasons.
I had one in 338 Win Mag which I recently sold because I was not going to be using it in the near future.  I know it is serious quality and had a super trigger.
I also like the CZ.  As you said, control feed is a big deal.
Also, the 375 is legal all around.
View Quote

BRAKE.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the manlicker.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get the manlicker.
View Quote
Been watchin' pron again?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Winchester M70 in .375 H&H
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#9]

My dad is very fond of his blaser set. Not everything over there requires a howitzer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#10]

He really put a lot of time into the appearance of that rifle.  Way more than I ever would have thought of doing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
E in .375 h&h. It's a great round that you can hunt North America with as well and is pretty common. Then save up some money and go on a non-trophy package hunt in South Africa or Namibia. Surprisingly affordable compared to paid trophy hunts in our hemisphere plus you'll take more animals. You will thank yourself.

Double rifles aren't typically the most accurate beyond 50-100 yards and may require having the barrels regulated multiple times depending on how much you shoot it. They have a purpose and are awesome but can also be a major pain in the ass from what I've read.
View Quote

Holy shit.... 8 days in Namibia is cheaper than a guided hunt in Montanna!

http://www.namibiahuntingsafaris.com/african-hunting-safaris/hunting-packages/#hunt_specials
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always thought a double rifle had to have to independent triggers. It was like having to guns glued together as in 1 is none and 2 is 1.
View Quote

It's not necessary. Some double makes particularly shotgun makers like Boss are known for one trigger in box locks primarily. Only a sidelock is really two guns fused together.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wheres the Marlin 450?
View Quote

This thread isn't about popguns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, now I really want a Winchester Safari Express in 375 H&H
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The 416 model 70 is a rem mag, not Rigby. The 550 is available in the Rigby though.

I am ordering a CZ 550 or Winchester Safari express in .375 when my local gun store opens in about an hour, unless i change my mind again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

460 Weatherby is what you should try.  
View Quote

My friend's 300 Weatherby was a beast...I imagine the 460 is truly a cannon!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 460 WB Magnum is somewhere between the 500NE and 600NE as far as performance, so ...........................
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]
So the rifle, not even on the poll, that won out is...the Winchester Model 70 Safari express in .375 H&H. Got to wait until the 16th or 17th to pick it up though.

Thank you everyone for your help...even though i ignored you all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So the rifle, not even on the poll, that won out is...the Winchester Model 70 Safari express in .375 H&H. Got to wait until the 16th or 17th to pick it up though.

View Quote

Excellent choice!

One World.  One Rifle.  .375 Holland & Holland.

In all seriousness, do not be afraid to take it hunting in your local.  There is something deeply satisfying about shooting a pig, deer, coyote, hell ANYTHING with a weapon that is capable of cleanly killing any animal that roams the face of the Earth.  

Welcome to the club!  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm jelly

ETA:  Okay that is going to be my next rifle purchase.  Not sure why I need it but I want it
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Sako brown or black bear in 375 H&H or 9.3X62
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#22]
My good friend loved his Merkel's....

Took a lot of game with them and brought them over for his clients to use.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Sako 85 Safari in 450 Rigby would be my choice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I chose the CZ 550 because I have the American in .308 with the box mag. Fit and finish are incredible as is the single stage trigger. Check out Alaskan Arms for CZ and Ruger rings.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a good choice that's still quite practical stateside.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

American, I think. I'll check when I get home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which submodel?

American, I think. I'll check when I get home.

Yep- 550 American.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Boooo!!!

Hissssss!!!

Recount!!!!

Literally HITLER!!!!

/protest!!!!

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, nothing wrong with that. Good quality and the round will kill anything you need it to.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Holy shit.... 8 days in Namibia is cheaper than a guided hunt in Montanna!

http://www.namibiahuntingsafaris.com/african-hunting-safaris/hunting-packages/#hunt_specials
View Quote

Africa's cheap enough that you cam just about do a single-species Big Five hunt for less than a nonresident can hunt Alaskan brown bear. Still a shitload of money, don't get me wrong, but it sort of puts into perspective just how expensive nonresident hunting is in the US.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Sabbati w/!o an optic.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#31]
You don't have the 700 T-Rex listed WTF?  

Edit:  If you're gonna go...might as well go big!
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The 460 WB Magnum is somewhere between the 500NE and 600NE as far as performance, so ...........................
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sale, .460 Weatherby rifle plus 19 rounds of ammo.

Recoil is known to be a tad harsh.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
D. CZ 550 FS (Mannlicher) in 9.3x62

This thing is pure sex!

But seriously, a CZ looks like a fantastic option.
View Quote

My deer gun is the 550FS in 6.5x55 and it is as accurate as it is beautiful. Whenever anyone asks about bolt Guns I always suggest CZ.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]
E is my choice.
I have seen reports that 458win actually makes a decent cast bullet gun with very good accuracy.

Seems like you could have some fun at the range or slam a white tail and still have a classic rifle if you ever got a chance at something big and mean
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
FPNI

African Safari = Double Rifle
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You will love it!  Glad we could help!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that picture of Cooper's "baby", I had never seen an actual shot of it, just the illustration in "Fireworks".  Cooper made a very good case for the .460 G&A, and that rifle as configured.  

I've read dozens of books on hunting in Africa, and that is as close as I'll get.  I once saw a Winchester M52 .22 set up as a "mini safari" rifle.  Maybe I'll build one for charging woodchucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just found a new Westley Richards cartridge while looking stuff up right now; .700/577 NE/WR/Sahar.  .700 NE necked down to .577, using a longer and heavier 900 grain bullet (the same weight used by the .600 NE) at 2,100 FPS (faster with the standard 750s and older 650s).  Supposedly you need something in the 17-20lb range to deal with recoil and muzzle climb.

Thanks for posting that picture of Cooper's "baby", I had never seen an actual shot of it, just the illustration in "Fireworks".  Cooper made a very good case for the .460 G&A, and that rifle as configured.  

I've read dozens of books on hunting in Africa, and that is as close as I'll get.  I once saw a Winchester M52 .22 set up as a "mini safari" rifle.  Maybe I'll build one for charging woodchucks.

I do want to get to Africa to hunt eventually.  

From what I understand, these days there is a wider variety of bottlenecked cartridges that sit between .458 Win Mag and .460 Weatherby Mag plus the straight-walled .458 Lott.  It seems like the concept of the .460 G&A had some merit.

One of these days I'd like to have my own clone of "Baby" built as well as a version in .505 Burns (which I'd make a pound heavier).  .505 Burns in terms of ballistics is like a .50-cal version of the .460 G&A.  You can get the .505 600-grain bullets out to about the same velocity out of a 21" barrel (which is what Baby and a number of rifles inspired by her use) as the .458 500-grain bullets.  A bit wider and heavier with about the same sectional density hitting at about the same velocity.  Could be an interesting one to try out.  And going back over Cooper's article, it seems that he had originally wanted to do a .505 Gibbs.  The Burns cartridge isn't so massive and is only a tad wider than the G&A and around the same length.  The drop box magazine would only need to be a fraction of an inch longer to maintain 5+1 capacity.

Regarding Baby, an improvement Cooper desired but not possible back then was to reverse the way the safety works on the ZKK-602.  The CZ-550 has done that.  If you get the 550 with the pop-up rear sight and have someone clean up the action a bit to make it nice and slick (from what I understand, the 550 does not have quite the same quality of fit and finish as the older ZKK actions), you can have a good basis for a dangerous game rifle, Baby clone or not, and regarding the former, you'd get to incorporate that improvement that Cooper desired.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Old school - Beaty & Company double-rifle in 500 BPE (Black Powder Express) made in 1890 ..................

BPE is the predecessor to the NE and uses the same case and reloading dies.

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Old school - Beaty & Company double-rifle in 500 BPE (Black Powder Express) made in 1890 ..................

View Quote
Beautiful rifle.

Just looking at that steel buttplate makes my shoulder hurt

I would love to see videos of you blowing up watermelons with that thing!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a beauty!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I do want to get to Africa to hunt eventually.  

From what I understand, these days there is a wider variety of bottlenecked cartridges that sit between .458 Win Mag and .460 Weatherby Mag plus the straight-walled .458 Lott.  It seems like the concept of the .460 G&A had some merit.

One of these days I'd like to have my own clone of "Baby" built as well as a version in .505 Burns (which I'd make a pound heavier).  .505 Burns in terms of ballistics is like a .50-cal version of the .460 G&A.  You can get the .505 600-grain bullets out to about the same velocity out of a 21" barrel (which is what Baby and a number of rifles inspired by her use) as the .458 500-grain bullets.  A bit wider and heavier with about the same sectional density hitting at about the same velocity.  Could be an interesting one to try out.  And going back over Cooper's article, it seems that he had originally wanted to do a .505 Gibbs.  The Burns cartridge isn't so massive and is only a tad wider than the G&A and around the same length.  The drop box magazine would only need to be a fraction of an inch longer to maintain 5+1 capacity.

Regarding Baby, an improvement Cooper desired but not possible back then was to reverse the way the safety works on the ZKK-602.  The CZ-550 has done that.  If you get the 550 with the pop-up rear sight and have someone clean up the action a bit to make it nice and slick (from what I understand, the 550 does not have quite the same quality of fit and finish as the older ZKK actions), you can have a good basis for a dangerous game rifle, Baby clone or not, and regarding the former, you'd get to incorporate that improvement that Cooper desired.
View Quote

I was looking at Granite Mountain Arms years back to use as a base action.  

Cooper really wanted to hit those Buffalo hard, didn't he?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Hmmm, pay off my mortgage, or get one of these

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#45]
 Heck, whaddya need with a paid-off mortgage anyway...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Update in OP, this is now a brag thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Good choice and looks nice.  I have had a 3 or 4  M70's in .375H&H, a couple Safaris, a stainless, etc.  I now have the Alaskan model.   You cannot go wrong...great rifle and great cartridge.

What sling is that?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Butler Creek 1 1/4" military sling (#2611-3 since the package is right here.) Got to wait until Friday to shoot it, got 110 rounds on hand, that should be enough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Butler Creek 1 1/4" military sling (#2611-3 since the package is right here.) Got to wait until Friday to shoot it, got 110 rounds on hand, that should be enough.
View Quote

If you want to be able to use the sling as a shooting aid, for which it was designed, you'll need to reposition the front sling swivel so that it is on the stock and not the barrel.  The tension can shift POI, and not necessarily with consistency.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top