Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2017 8:42:49 PM EDT
I notice that in my town, which is a suburb of Philadelphia, I never see police cruisers with two officers in them.

Did the "partners" thing go away, or is that more prevalent in the big cities?

Or, are there still partners, but they each have their own cruiser and only join up when necessary?

Just curious, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends where you live but it's not mega common anymore.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]
We ride one officer cars 90% of the time. Depending on the type of call 2 or more cars may be dispatched. Some types of calls the officers will pick a meeting location and then meet up and respond so they get there at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on a lot of things, how "busy" the area is would be a big factor.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe in San Francisco
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They do it in my area, mostly at night
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Ever since the term "partners" has taken on a different meaning, officers have been reluctant to ride together. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
After we had two officers ambushed and murdered, one of which was an Arfcommer, DMPD was having patrols ride around 2 to a car for a little bit. Last I saw, they were back to 1 officer to a car.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know of any small to medium sized departments that do that. I would imagine some major cities roll two man cars, at least in certain areas.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It cover more area to have single person cruisers.

The usual thing is to respond two cars at a time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Dept I work for is all 2-man cars. Jurisdiction where I live is 98% of the time solo, but a minimum of 2 cars on all jobs.

State does solo cars until midnight (or about then) and then rides two to a car until a certain hour.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Seattle cops have same sex partners I'm told.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I notice that in my town, which is a suburb of Philadelphia, I never see police cruisers with two officers in them.

Did the "partners" thing go away, or is that more prevalent in the big cities?

Or, are there still partners, but they each have their own cruiser and only join up when necessary?

Just curious, thanks.
View Quote
Depends on the jurisdiction. Without going into officer safety issues, going with one officer per car allows the police department to cover more area in their beats.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I supervise a unit where everyone rides two to a car.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I worked midnights in the ghetto alone for many years.

Between not knowing what they were doing, not wanting to "do" anything, and whining about my cigars? I got tired of working with anyone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not in the police, but from my terse understanding, they try to pair serious, by-the-book officers with wisecracking and free spirited officers who don't play by anyone's rules.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#17]
State troopers, at least in the county I live, in double up in the later half of the night shift.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#18]
No,not here in Palm Beach County.  They have zone partners, but that is close as they get.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#19]
All gay joke aside....

Even in cases where they don't double up in the cruisers, at least not regularly, is each officer still assigned a partner for other purposes?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Here we have precincts. In each precinct we have wards. Each ward is assigned two 1 man cars that answer calls together, but outside of answering calls they can go about patrolling their wards or neighboring wards. Traffic stops, self initiated activity your assigned "ward partner" should pull down with you. They thing is we have 3 people assigned to a ward with rotating days off. So what really happens is 2 buddies that work the same days finagle their way into neighboring wards and do everything together. As in "disregard car xx1's ward partner, I am handling this call with him", and "show myself and car xx1 have a car pulled over". It is so prevalent that the dispatchers end up knowing who is friends with each other all over the city. So on paper (or dispatch computer screen) they have an official partner, but in real life they have a real partner they trust everything to.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]
My local Dept has just two officers and they work two different shifts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top