Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2017 5:06:29 PM EDT
???
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Magpul doesn't seem to do a whole lot of metal stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't expect it. Not a lot of wiggle room with handgun mags. Polymer must be thicker than metal in order to obtain the same strength.

We are seeing tons of in innovation in Glock mags. Meanwhile we see zero innovation in any other manufactures handgun magazines.

Polymer is the future. Glock knew it decades ago. The best thing to happen to handguns would be if they all took Glock mags the same way all 5.56 military rifles take STANAG mags.

SIG was a stupid choice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious if Trump will allow the sale of M9s to the public.....he should.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
would rather have Sig 226...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Polymer is the future. Glock knew it decades ago.
View Quote

Not for pistol mags.  Plastic sucks for that application, because it has to be too thick (and metal lined anyway).

There's a reason why every other gun company has gone back to (or never left) metal pistol mags.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm curious if Trump will allow the sale of M9s to the public.....he should.....
View Quote

I had not thought of this. This just made me quite happy. Thank you sir for bringing this to my attention
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't expect it. Not a lot of wiggle room with handgun mags. Polymer must be thicker than metal in order to obtain the same strength.

We are seeing tons of in innovation in Glock mags. Meanwhile we see zero innovation in any other manufactures handgun magazines.

Polymer is the future. Glock knew it decades ago. The best thing to happen to handguns would be if they all took Glock mags the same way all 5.56 military rifles take STANAG mags.

SIG was a stupid choice.
View Quote

I would disagree and respond that Glock has some of the poorest magazine design on the market.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not for pistol mags.  Plastic sucks for that application, because it has to be too thick (and metal lined anyway).

There's a reason why every other gun company has gone back to (or never left) metal pistol mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
About the same time they make Beretta 92FS mags.... which is never.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had not thought of this. This just made me quite happy. Thank you sir for bringing this to my attention
View Quote
Send 'em to CMP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would disagree and respond that Glock has some of the poorest magazine design on the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SIG was a stupid choice.

From a durability and reliability stand point, I would disagree. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Magpul should  make a 320 grip frame at least.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#14]
i want aftermarket grip frames not mags.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i want aftermarket grip frames with interchangeable backstraps, not mags.
View Quote

Fixed to reflect my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would make way more sense from a "this is the kind of stuff we make." standpoint.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

A number have mentioned it...  But to what end?  Sig already offers comfortable frames with different grip sizes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to call Magpul and ETS and let them know.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#19]
A grip frame that accepted glock mags?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A number have mentioned it...  But to what end?  Sig already offers comfortable frames with different grip sizes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about a subcompact frame that fits a compact slide so that someone could use an XC1.

Maybe something with an integrated light/laser module.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You call Glock, Magpul, and ETS.  I'll call damn near every other pistol manufacturer on Earth.

Plastic pistol frames make sense.  Plastic pistol mags do not.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Win!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure Magpul could come up with something to make it worthwhile.  If nothing else, it would just be something cool to have.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You call Glock, Magpul, and ETS.  I'll call damn near every other pistol manufacturer on Earth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My magpul and ETS mags seem to make a ton of sense, seeing that they cost 12 per, are all plastic, and work thus far as good as OEM....

What doesn't make sense?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you explain this a little more?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now we're talking!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
???
View Quote

The same amount of time for them to come out with 1911, SIG 226, SIG 229 and Beretta mags.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My magpul and ETS mags seem to make a ton of sense, seeing that they cost 12 per, are all plastic, and work thus far as good as OEM....

What doesn't make sense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What doesn't make sense?
Polymer pistol mags make the grip wider than necessary.  Magpul and ETS were able to capitalize on Glocks decision to go with polymer mags.  Had Glock gone with metal mags, Magpul and ETS wouldn't be making mags for them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Polymer pistol mags make the grip wider than necessary.  Magpul and ETS were able to capitalize on Glocks decision to go with polymer mags.  Had Glock gone with metal mags, Magpul and ETS wouldn't be making mags for them.
View Quote

Yeah, I would agree that makes a difference if you are attempting to make the slimmest single stack gun possible. It hasn't made a lick of difference in double stack duty pistols. In fact Glock, with their super wide polymer mags, seems to have the slimmest double stack pistol out of the major contenders.

P320 Full Size            Width: 1.4 in

Glock 17                 Width:  1.18 in

HK USP                    Width: 1.26 in

S&W M&P                  Width: 1.2 in

Beretta PX4                Width 1.2 in

That hunk of shit SIG is the fattest of them all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, I would agree that makes a difference if you are attempting to make the slimmest single stack gun possible. It hasn't made a lick of difference in double stack duty pistols. In fact Glock, with their super wide polymer mags, seems to have the slimmest double stack pistol out of the major contenders.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burn!

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Fight fight fight.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

so you mean metal mags right???
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I mean polymer mags. You know, like the ones people who kill people for a living use.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fight fight fight.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Overall width and width of the grip aren't the same thing.  And where it really makes a difference isn't single stacks, it's the large frame guns. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SIG was a stupid choice.

I agree with you there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe Armalite and Colt knew it in 1960
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistol design should be an exercise of efficiency. Plastic magazines immediately compromise with increased thickness needed for structural strength, for the sake of cost and manufacturing ease. In a rifle cartridge and magazine format there are negligible gains in capacity between a plastic and metal magazine. In a pistol these gains are much more critical. Glock exhibits terrible capacity for the thickness of the magazine and firearm, and is based on a magazine designed in the late 1970s. The design has never been fundamentally changed since then, with the exception of the G42 and G43. There they had the opportunity to blueprint an entirely new magazine and all they came up with was a horribly low capacity for size magazine that some intern sharted out.

From a cost perspective polymer pistol magazines can offer large savings, but when we are dealing with maximum possible capacity we do not want any compromises. Glock magazine's are reliable and durable, but that is a moot point because the same thing can be achieved in metal magazines. Polymer pistol magazines, especially Glock magazine's, are a compromise and not the ideal medium. Period.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Overall width and width of the grip aren't the same thing.  And where it really makes a difference isn't single stacks, it's the large frame guns. 
View Quote

OK. You didn't agree with my numbers which I got from the manufactures.

I'll put the ball in your court. Show me a double stack combat/duty handgun which use double stack metal magazines which is significantly slimmer in the grip than a double stack Glock 9/40/45

My point is this. Polymer mags are cheaper to make and they are just as durable and reliable as metal mags. While they need to be slightly thicker to maintain the same strength as a similar metal mag, Glock has shown that with a properly designed handgun that doesn't make any difference.

Everyone laughed at Magpul when the released the PMAG. Now everyone and their brother makes polymer AR mags.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'll put the ball in your court. Show me a double stack combat/duty handgun which use double stack metal magazines which is significantly slimmer in the grip than a double stack Glock 9/40/45
View Quote
All of them.  I'm at work so I can't verify but a quick Google search is showing that the grip circumference of the Glock 19/23 is 5.85".  I'm going to assume that's a Gen 3.  Every other circumference I can find for a double stack 9/40 polymer framed gun is smaller than that.  As for .45s, everything is smaller than the 21.

That said, almost all of my handguns are Glocks. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All of them.  I'm at work so I can't verify but a quick Google search is showing that the grip circumference of the Glock 19/23 is 5.85".  I'm going to assume that's a Gen 3.  Every other circumference I can find for a double stack 9/40 polymer framed gun is smaller than that.  As for .45s, everything is smaller than the 21.

That said, almost all of my handguns are Glocks. 
View Quote

I going to counter than that has less to do with Glock magazines and more to do with Glock "Perfection" and their lack of desire to change the grip.

There are after market frames and reduction services which can make the grip circumference less.

Not to mention Glock came out with the G21 SF to address this exact issue.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My point is this. Polymer mags are cheaper to make and they are just as durable and reliable as metal mags. While they need to be slightly thicker to maintain the same strength as a similar metal mag, Glock has shown that with a properly designed handgun that doesn't make any difference.

Everyone laughed at Magpul when the released the PMAG. Now everyone and their brother makes polymer AR mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect example is the SAR K2 .45. vs the Glock, SIG, and CZ 97 with 14+1 capacity. Kills capacity of most double stack .45s with smaller grip than most.

The P14 magazine it's based on is extremely efficient.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Now we're talking!
View Quote

Glock mags are too thick to fit through the fcu.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Perfect example is the SAR K2 .45. vs the Glock, SIG, and CZ 97 with 14+1 capacity. Kills capacity of most double stack .45s with smaller grip than most.

The P14 magazine it's based on is extremely efficient.
View Quote

SAR K2-45      Height: 5.7"    Width: 1.3"    Cap: 14 rd
Glock 21 SF     Height: 5.47"   Width: 1.27"  Cap: 13 rd

Not seeing the huge gain.

Not exactly what we are talking about, since those are gun measurements. I can't find actual measurements of the magazines, which would be more relevant to the discussion.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#45]
how long was it from Glock inception to Magpul release? About that long.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

SAR K2-45      Height: 5.7"    Width: 1.3"    Cap: 14 rd
Glock 21 SF     Height: 5.47"   Width: 1.27"  Cap: 13 rd

Not seeing the huge gain.

Not exactly what we are talking about, since those are gun measurements. I can't find actual measurements of the magazines, which would be more relevant to the discussion.
View Quote

You need grip circumference. Width of a pistol can mean grip or slide width. And a grip can be skinny but relatively long front to back. A 1911 and a 9mm single stack can have the same width, but grip circumference will most likely be very different.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Had Glock gone with metal mags, Magpul and ETS wouldn't be making mags for them.
View Quote

Mec-Gar would
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You need grip circumference. Width of a pistol can mean grip or slide width. And a grip can be skinny but relatively long front to back. A 1911 and a 9mm single stack can have the same width, but grip circumference will most likely be very different.
View Quote

Neither is ideal. What would be ideal is measuring the actual magazines, since that is what we are talking about.

Manufactures don't generally publish grip circumference. They do publish width. That is why I am posting that, because it is available data.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top