User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this a drafting job OP?  I think I caught that implication in one of your replies.

If yes, this is an easy one.

I want a guy that has 10 years experience in drafting.  I have no time to teach you how to make a damn drawing or use the software.  If you can't make a detail drawing that, when checked, doesn't look like a pig was butchered on it, then I can't use you.

You will start on entry level detail work for an industry you have no knowledge in.  You used to make drawings of flanges for a fab shop tailoring to the oil fields?  Fine, I need someone to detail an 8-roll flattener for a zinc line, then once that's done, we need to get on the vertical looper.  Don't worry that you have no idea how the machines work, you'll learn it as you stay.

THAT is how you do entry level with 10 years experience.
View Quote

They were two different jobs.  The first was a job posting looking a drafter but wanted an ME/Aero engineering degree.  Why would someone with one of those degrees work for drafting wages especially if they weren't going to get engineering experience?  The second was specifically listed as an entry level engineering position but it wanted 10 years of experience.  I see this stuff in my current job all the time.  Due to a recent change I'm actually not qualified for the position I currently hold if I were to apply for it today and that goes for probably 90% of my peers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol.

Typical corporate BS from typical HR-tards.  

Pay peanuts - get monkeys.
Then bitch and whine about how all of today's applicants are crap, because your hiring criteria basically dictates that only lunatics should apply.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They were two different jobs.  The first was a job posting looking a drafter but wanted an ME/Aero engineering degree.  Why would someone with one of those degrees work for drafting wages especially if they weren't going to get engineering experience?  The second was specifically listed as an entry level engineering position but it wanted 10 years of experience.  I see this stuff in my current job all the time.  Due to a recent change I'm actually not qualified for the position I currently hold if I were to apply for it today and that goes for probably 90% of my peers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this a drafting job OP?  I think I caught that implication in one of your replies.

I want a guy that has 10 years experience in drafting.  I have no time to teach you how to make a damn drawing or use the software.  If you can't make a detail drawing that, when checked, doesn't look like a pig was butchered on it, then I can't use you.

You will start on entry level detail work for an industry you have no knowledge in.  You used to make drawings of flanges for a fab shop tailoring to the oil fields?  Fine, I need someone to detail an 8-roll flattener for a zinc line, then once that's done, we need to get on the vertical looper.  Don't worry that you have no idea how the machines work, you'll learn it as you stay.

That's backasswords to how I would expect it.  We just hired an ME right out of school, and I need to teach him drafting.  He had some work on it in college, but little, as I would have expected.  I do know a lot of drafters that paid for an ME degree.  Those guys would have an entry level ME position with 10 years drafting experience.  Those are unicorns too.  A lot of times, the time of experience is pretty flexible, depends on the company.  Most engineering houses are pretty loose on the HR front.

Don't knock draftsman wages.  My Dad always told me they tried to unionize the draftsmen back in the 70s, but it failed because of the way we get paid.  Way too many hired guns that work 6-month contracts then grab a $3/hr raise every time they move.  I got myself up to $45/hr in the early 2000s before I left for college.  If you're good at making drawings, the job offers are always there.  I've seen engineers sit when all they can do is calculations.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You don't believe a company should be able to make whatever applicant requirements they want for their positions?
View Quote

You people still don't get it.

They do this to hire Indian and Chinese imports for much less pay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't believe a company should be able to make whatever applicant requirements they want for their positions?

You really know nothing about the design engineering industry.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe they want to say that there is no one qualified so they can h1b.
View Quote
That sounds plausible..
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah OK
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This thread didn't take long.

I love the corporate cock sucking on this site.

Fucking shit stain employers demanding top tier employees then wanting to insult them with shit for pay but still having the nerve to demand the world out of them. Yeah, we all have to suck the corporate cock because employment isn't a two way street or a symbiotic relationship. These stupid fucks actively scrape the bottom of the barrel after seeing that this initial plan didn't work out so well then complain about not being able to find good employees.

It's a dog eat dog world these days. Treat your employer with the same contempt they treat you with, always be on the look out and ready to pounce on a better opportunity, and always remember that you and your loved ones come first. They want to treat their employees and customers like shit while raising prices and lowering quality and service? Give them the same treatment.

Oh arfcom patriotic, capitalistic, conservative real Americans, please forgive me for not gobbing the corporate jizz and speaking ill of shitty employers.

View Quote

Seems like you are in the job market too... don't worry I agree with you whole heartedly.

I've spent so much time on Indeed, zip recruiter, etc that it's beginning to get to me...

I see so many jobs I can do but they want the world for pennies and I'm thru giving my soul for manager types who are addicted to people doing nonsensical things and offering less than ten a hour.

I had one job offering where I'd be working 10-12 hour days with posssible overtime and yet they balked when I said I'd require minimum $11.50 an hour.

I had one minimum wage job offer to start until I got commissions. I accepted certain I could blow thru on commissions.

Well here is the thing, they want you to attend morning meetings first before you get the chance to go earn commissions. I was driving an hour each weekday, for a one hour meeting at minimum wage, and they never sent me where I had chance for commissions.

That was one "job" where I never even bothered to give notice, I just quit going. Shame because I could have done well with it.

I have had to develop the attitude of "You buy my time, not me. I work with you, not for you".

Frankly I want to urinate on all the jokers here who whine about not being able to find good help. Yes, I'm getting really angry right now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I didn't see a bunch of Indian engineers down at Cat every time I visited and State Farm hasn't brought in a bunch to Bloomington-Normal.  Got it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They probably have a specific person they want to hire and are hoping the requirements will allow them to cut everyone else out of the mandated hiring process
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and a non-engineering job wanting a mechanical/aero engineering degree.  What the fuck is wrong with HR and hiring managers?
They probably have a specific person they want to hire and are hoping the requirements will allow them to cut everyone else out of the mandated hiring process

Or they're fishing for an excuse to hire an H1B.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You've succinctly nailed the problem.

No entry level person could do that job.

You need someone with the combination of education, experience and field knowledge there.

Not an entry level employee.

I get the whole 'entry level at our level is better than the average bear', but that's just abusing the entry level term.

If entry level requires experience, then what do you call a job for someone with no experience?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You've succinctly nailed the problem.

No entry level person could do that job.

You need someone with the combination of education, experience and field knowledge there.

Not an entry level employee.

I get the whole 'entry level at our level is better than the average bear', but that's just abusing the entry level term.

If entry level requires experience, then what do you call a job for someone with no experience?
View Quote

An internship.

If you look at most large corporation's job listings they are broken out (searchable) into 3 categories: Entry Level, Mid Level, and Executive. It is probably also a given that those categories are based on pay scale and responsibility.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
It's possible they are setting up the get a B1 visa applicant. They have to demonstrate there is no one with their requirements available to take the job in the US. Great way is to have insanely high requirements with low pay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats how you write a job description for a specific person to get the spot. The full time Guard and Reserve did it all the time by placing some cryptic qualification as required. Then letting the ONE know to add that specific item to the resume.

My old Branch Chief did it for himself. When he retired from the Active Reserve, he made sure HIS old job no longer required the military part. Then he was hired as a straight civ for the same job. He was the only Branch Chief/Manager in the unit like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For better or worse, every company (and even divisions in the same company) defines it differently.
View Quote

They might TRY to define it differently.  Not their place to re-define words.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're wrong, Each and every company gets to decide what entry level for their company is.
View Quote

They get to decide what is required for their lowest level job - no argument.  That, however, is not an "entry level job", which has a definition, which I have posted.  If it doesn't meet the definition of an entry level job, don't call it that.  Just like if a piece of merchandise doesn't meet the definition of "new", don't call it new.

Words mean things.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Its everywhere, in all industries. My employer has positions open, 5 years minimum experience, $18/hr starting. They wonder why nobody calls. Or why the people that do, aren't qualified. Cant fix stupid.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They might TRY to define it differently.  Not their place to re-define words.
View Quote

Words....maybe so.

Descriptive phrases? Not so much.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
It's an employers market. When shit turns around you'll see a change.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe they want to say that there is no one qualified so they can h1b.
View Quote

This. Typical H1B bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Some of these qualifications are so absurd they are obviously mistakes made by whatever admin assistant was typing them up that day and transposed or misunderstood.  For example, "minimum 10 years experience with Windows 2016 required" is just human error.

Now, having worked for some of the largest enterprise technology companies in the world that heavily utilized H1B workers I'm JUST cynical enough to know that at least some of the jobs looking for a unicorn candidate are part of the "we can't find anyone qualified" bullshit justification for H1B hiring.  

Lastly, I agree that the way "entry level" is being used is ridiculous.  In my particular field there are tiers of the same type of classification.  Some are positions at a very high level that can easily require 10 years (or more) in the discipline to even have a chance at becoming a junior staff member in that particular tier.

Still, I would not advertise those positions with the term "entry level".  You might, however, see something like "Junior BlaBlaBla Engineer/Architect.  Must have minimum of 10 years as a senior level BlaBlaBla Engineer and references for all of those duties over that period, minimum undergraduate degree in sciences, EE, or mathematics BlaBlaBla". I can see where some people would feel that is misleading as well.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top