BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds more like they want to hire someone overqualified for shit pay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
and a non-engineering job wanting a mechanical/aero engineering degree.  What the fuck is wrong with HR and hiring managers?

It just sucks they want qualified people to fill their job openings.

Sounds more like they want to hire someone overqualified for shit pay.

99% of the "I can't find any good employees today!" whine threads here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Best one I've seen requires 10 years experience with Windows Server 2016.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like an ADP job ad
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Best one I've seen requires 10 years experience with Windows Server 2016.
View Quote

HR people are sooooo smart.
just ask them; they'll tell you all about it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at the school district office recently and saw a notice on the board wanting a janitor. They want 3 years' experience and three professional references in a related field. To clean up shit in the boys' restroom and puke when the kids get sick and throw up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Reading is Fundamental.
10 years experience IS Entry Level for that company.
They can ask for however many years of experience they want for an entry level job.
View Quote

NO!  "That company" doesn't get to redefine what "entry level" means - which is:

An entry-level job is a job that is normally designed or designated for recent graduates of a given discipline, and does not require prior experience in the field or profession. These may require some on-site training.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#7]
H1B hatched job, the posting is designed to show that they couldn't fill the position with US talent.

Daddy Trump is going to kick H1B visas in the cock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You don't believe a company should be able to make whatever applicant requirements they want for their positions?
View Quote

I think they should do whatever they want.  I think that if someone wants to stick their dick in a meat grinder, they should do so.

I also think I should be able to sit here and call them a fucking idiot on the internet.  See how that works?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

NO!  "That company" doesn't get to redefine what "entry level" means - which is:

An entry-level job is a job that is normally designed or designated for recent graduates of a given discipline, and does not require prior experience in the field or profession. These may require some on-site training.
View Quote

For better or worse, every company (and even divisions in the same company) defines it differently.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was at the school district office recently and saw a notice on the board wanting a janitor. They want 3 years' experience and three professional references in a related field. To clean up shit in the boys' restroom and puke when the kids get sick and throw up.
View Quote

Think of the retirement pay.

I think there was a story posted in GD where a HS janitor was pulling in like 150k a year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think they should do whatever they want.  I think that if someone wants to stick their dick in a meat grinder, they should do so.

I also think I should be able to sit here and call them a fucking idiot on the internet.  See how that works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't believe a company should be able to make whatever applicant requirements they want for their positions?

Triggered
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Triggered
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triggered

So you don't believe that people should be able to criticize the actions of  others on the internet (or other methods of communication)?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread didn't take long.

I love the corporate cock sucking on this site.

Fucking shit stain employers demanding top tier employees then wanting to insult them with shit for pay but still having the nerve to demand the world out of them. Yeah, we all have to suck the corporate cock because employment isn't a two way street or a symbiotic relationship. These stupid fucks actively scrape the bottom of the barrel after seeing that this initial plan didn't work out so well then complain about not being able to find good employees.

It's a dog eat dog world these days. Treat your employer with the same contempt they treat you with, always be on the look out and ready to pounce on a better opportunity, and always remember that you and your loved ones come first. They want to treat their employees and customers like shit while raising prices and lowering quality and service? Give them the same treatment.

Oh arfcom patriotic, capitalistic, conservative real Americans, please forgive me for not gobbing the corporate jizz and speaking ill of shitty employers.

Can not and should not are different things.  Obviously they can, but we can ridicule them for it although in some cases it is so they can say they tried and get someone in on a H1B visa.  For instance, where I work, they recently started looking for a mold designer.  They are asking for a BS in engineering.  Very few mold designers have BS's.  By adding that requirement, they eliminated over 90% of the people that could actually do that job.  The kicker is the guy they will report to only has a HS diploma.  My coworker that used to be a tool designer and was one of the few with a BS (actually an MS in his case) agreed it was a stupid requirement.  I have a BS in engineering BTW.  

Too many places are asking for a degree where it is not needed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Employment is a two way street 
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Can not and should not are different things.  Obviously they can, but we can ridicule them for it although in some cases it is so they can say they tried and get someone in on a H1B visa.  For instance, where I work, they recently started looking for a mold designer.  They are asking for a BS in engineering.  Very few mold designers have BS's.  By adding that requirement, they eliminated over 90% of the people that could actually do that job.  The kicker is the guy they will report to only has a HS diploma.  My coworker that used to be a tool designer and was one of the few with a BS (actually an MS in his case) agreed it was a stupid requirement.  I have a BS in engineering BTW.  

Too many places are asking for a degree where it is not needed.
View Quote
Been happening for decades which is why many people get them. I'm not disagreeing with you however this is nothing new.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Time for Trump to put hefty tax penalties on bringing in H1B people. I doubt there is a job out there that no one is America is qualified to do, it's more like the company doesn't want to pay what it is worth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Usually, you see that shit, and what it really means is that they are building a case for bringing in an H1B to do the job.

Acquaintance who works HR pretty much confessed to that being the case, when I asked her about it.

Time for Trump to put hefty tax penalties on bringing in H1B people. I doubt there is a job out there that no one is America is qualified to do, it's more like the company doesn't want to pay what it is worth.

I don't have an issue with the stated principle behind the H1B program.  However, if someone is that special, they should be paid above market level wages for the above market level skills, not the "prevailing wage".  50% higher seems reasonable if you can't find anyone in the US.  Although we did have a hire like that.  We needed Abaqus and sign language.  We found someone in Costa Rica, who now works out of one of our places in Italy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Every company wants another company to train their employees so they don't have to spend the time and money. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#19]
the state here does that all the time,...."entry level officer: 4 year degree, 3 years experience, 32k"
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Corporate HR and outside lawyers taught me how to write a job description that could only be filled by one individual in the entire world (a great Aussie engineer, FWIW).

87 years experience in Windows 10...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

NO!  "That company" doesn't get to redefine what "entry level" means - which is
:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is Fundamental.
They can ask for however many years of experience they want for an entry level job.

NO!  "That company" doesn't get to redefine what "entry level" means - which is
:

I don't always agree with you*, but you are completely correct here.  

*Battleships were clearly obsolete on Dec 7, 1941
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I saw a job posting today that requires a class A CDL for a position that was very engineering in nature. If I applied, it would really screw up the internal candidate they tailored the position description for.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I've seen a lot of new-grad, entry level job postings requiring a Top Secret clearance.  HR workers are idiots.  No one ever says, "I want to work in HR when I grow up!"  They all fail down to it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've seen a lot of new-grad, entry level job postings requiring a Top Secret clearance.  HR workers are idiots.  No one ever says, "I want to work in HR when I grow up!"  They all fail down to it.
View Quote

Tailor made for quite a few military folks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Exactly!

Just because it's an entry level job doesn't mean there will not be previous experience and or education requirements. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entry level jobs (non-technical) at my company require 5 years experience and a related degree
Exactly!

Just because it's an entry level job doesn't mean there will not be previous experience and or education requirements. 

Words have meaning.  "Entry level" means that someone is trying to get into that profession/trade without previous experience.  That's why it's "entry level", they are trying to enter into that profession.

It ain't rocket science or brain surgery.
 There is no justification for requesting this (years of experience for an entry level position) that isn't either agenda driven or drug fueled.

EAT italicized.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Words have meaning.  "Entry level" means that someone is trying to get into that profession/trade without previous experience.  That's why it's "entry level", they are trying to enter into that profession.

There is no justification for requesting this (years of experience for an entry level position) that isn't either agenda driven or drug fueled.

EAT italicized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entry level jobs (non-technical) at my company require 5 years experience and a related degree
Exactly!

EAT italicized.

What if it is brain surgery?  What would you consider the qualifications of an "entry level" brain surgeon to be?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

EAT italicized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly!

EAT italicized.
There is a huge difference in in entry level in regards to the job type. Entry level requirements for a blue collar guy pushing wood through a saw would be totally different from the requirements of a entry technical or medical job.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#28]
foreign worker ad?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I interviewed for a position a couple of years ago that included "expert at circuit design and board layout", experienced at selecting components and dealing with suppliers and vendors, and experienced in new product introduction, experienced at dealing with contract manufacturers and factory issues.  No mention was made of years of experience but from what they wanted this was not an entry level opportunity.

I thought I was a pretty good fit and the interview seemed to go well.  The HR person from the company came back and "We think you would be bored with this opportunity so we are pursuing other candidates."

A week later I saw the same job listed with the exact same list of requirements except they added "0-5 years experience."  

Seems to me that to be good at that many different things would take at least 10 years.  I think they wanted a senior engineer but wanted to pay for a new college grad.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a six figure job that was listed as "entry level" but requiring years of experience (which of course I have.)  I dunno why they call it entry level, it isn't, but I've seen the same thing with other jobs also.  Seems to be a trend.

I think the OP's point is, many of us for the majority of our lives have thought of "entry level" as a job where maybe you need a degree, maybe you don't, but one that does all on the job training and you don't have any experience.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#31]
They probably have a specific person they want to hire and are hoping the requirements will allow them to cut everyone else out of the mandated hiring process.

This.

Maybe they want to say that there is no one qualified so they can h1b.

And this.

As someone who was laid off last Feb and took until Nov to find another job I can agree with most of what has been said. I've seen some seriously warped job reqs out there and unrealistic expectations on the part of HR and company hiring managers.

I've tracked some job openings for almost a year now even after finding work. They are STILL open and looking for the exact same "job". And this is supposed to be in an area crawling with highly educated, highly trained "techies".

I call them as nothing more than someone trolling the job market to see if anyone bites. They are collecting resumes to see if anyone that they want to hire actually applies and can they get them at a price that suits them. Other job postings are merely "unicorn" hunts, no way any one person could meet the qualifications, they would have had to spent years collecting 'certs' and never have actually done the job day to day.  If you could find someone with that broad of an experience and the depth of actually having done all those at the same time, no way they are going to do it as cheap as you want them to pay them. The term "franchise player" or "rockstar" comes to mind.

Personally I advise anyone and everyone that the mercenary frame of mind is the only way to go these days. Companies don't care about you or even their own long term survival, it's all short term thinking these days.  Prepare accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Fucking shit stain employers demanding top tier employees then wanting to insult them with shit for pay but still having the nerve to demand the world out of them. Yeah, we all have to suck the corporate cock because employment isn't a two way street or a symbiotic relationship. These stupid fucks actively scrape the bottom of the barrel after seeing that this initial plan didn't work out so well then complain about not being able to find good employees.

It's a dog eat dog world these days. Treat your employer with the same contempt they treat you with, always be on the look out and ready to pounce on a better opportunity, and always remember that you and your loved ones come first. They want to treat their employees and customers like shit while raising prices and lowering quality and service? Give them the same treatment.

Oh arfcom patriotic, capitalistic, conservative real Americans, please forgive me for not gobbing the corporate jizz and speaking ill of shitty employers.

View Quote

Maybe you should have studied and worked a little harder?
And why should employers be loyal to people who have a history of jumping from job to job, never staying with the same company for more than a couple years?
The fact is we make our own lot in life.  Don't like how things have turned out for you and how people/companies are treating you?  Its no ones' fault but your own.  But you want to blame the system.  You sound like an obama/bernie voter.
Were you marching in any parades this weekend?  Or maybe hanging out with the ruckus society in their hoodies and scarves?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#33]
[b]Quoted:
Personally I advise anyone and everyone that the mercenary frame of mind is the only way to go these days. Companies don't care about you or even their own long term survival, it's all short term thinking these days.  Prepare accordingly.
View Quote

Very much true but it isn't that the company doesn't care about long term survival, it's the few people running it that don't care. The pathetic CEO and corporate worship and cock sucking on this site not withstanding, the few people at the top only care about  ensuring a bigger pay day for themselves and as long as they have their golden parachute they couldn't care less what happens. Their good ole boy network will ensure they will get hired on at another company to rinse and repeat until a nice retirement.

But here on arfcom we are told we need to cheer and celebrate this because it's "capitalism". As you said though, there is no loyalty or concern for people and long term company health these days. All of it is short term gain and pocket lining so as long as you get your own, be ready to jump ship just as the cock suckers at the top who routinely do the same. Funny thing is, these same capitalist, conservative, patriotic real Americans who will cheer and celebrate this and suck the corporate cock will denounce politicians for doing EXACTLY the same thing and scream about "draining the swamp". However, if the virtuous and benevolent executives at the helm of corporations do it, it's capitalism and how dare anyone be critical of it.

I'll now await them to come and shout me down and twist my words and ask if I support more government regulations and watch them call me a socialist communist liberal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Very much true but it isn't that the company doesn't care about long term survival, it's the few people running it that don't care. The pathetic CEO and corporate worship and cock sucking on this site not withstanding, the few people at the top only care about  ensuring a bigger pay day for themselves and as long as they have their golden parachute they couldn't care less what happens. Their good ole boy network will ensure they will get hired on at another company to rinse and repeat until a nice retirement.

But here on arfcom we are told we need to cheer and celebrate this because it's "capitalism". As you said though, there is no loyalty or concern for people and long term company health these days. All of it is short term gain and pocket lining so as long as you get your own, be ready to jump ship just as the cock suckers at the top who routinely do the same. Funny thing is, these same capitalist, conservative, patriotic real Americans who will cheer and celebrate this and suck the corporate cock will denounce politicians for doing EXACTLY the same thing and scream about "draining the swamp". However, if the virtuous and benevolent executives at the helm of corporations do it, it's capitalism and how dare anyone be critical of it.

I'll now await them to come and shout me down and twist my words and ask if I support more government regulations and watch them call me a socialist communist liberal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

If you are that unhappy you could always start your own company and run it how you would like! Merica?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And why should employers be loyal to people who have a history of jumping from job to job, never staying with the same company for more than a couple years?
The fact is we make our own lot in life.  Don't like how things have turned out for you and how people/companies are treating you?  Its no ones' fault but your own.  But you want to blame the system.  You sound like an obama/bernie voter.
Were you marching in any parades this weekend?  Or maybe hanging out with the ruckus society in their hoodies and scarves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo. If you have useful in need skills then you have lots of choices. Remember whats useful today might be obsolete tomorrow which is why the smart and ambitious people believe in lifelong learning.

Well back to studying for this PMP cert which I will likely never use by the time I retire at 44. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like a company i wouldn't want to work for, good catch OP!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you are that unhappy you could always start your own company and run it how you would like! Merica?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

Yes, YES!!

Their company their rules if you don't like it start your own company!

What an awesome idea! Lets all do that! Wait, WAIT!! Maybe I can start my own government and my own country too since there are so many parallels with corporations/executives and government/politicians?

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Maybe they want to say that there is no one qualified so they can h1b.
View Quote

^this^ fuck them
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes, YES!!

What an awesome idea! Lets all do that! Wait, WAIT!! Maybe I can start my own government and my own country too since there are so many parallels with corporations/executives and government/politicians?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

Yes, YES!!

So you are a follower that would rather just complain...got it. I started my own consulting job on the side, wasn't a big deal but then again some are followers and some are doers. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Reading is Fundamental.
View Quote

I am not an engineer so maybe things work differently in that field, but in the field I work in Entry Level and New Grad are synonyms.

If a clinic will only hire a PT/PTA with 5 years of experiences in that setting, they will not advertise the position as "we are looking for an entry level therapist with 5 years," they will advertise as "we are looking for an experienced therapist with at least 5 years in this setting" or something similar.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#41]
i used to put some difficult stuff in my postings so i did not have to interview half the building.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Could be, but their job, their rules. It'll work out one way or another.
View Quote

Yup. They'll just get someone on an H1B visa because no citizen could apply for an entry level position who has a decade of experience.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There is a huge difference in in entry level in regards to the job type. Entry level requirements for a blue collar guy pushing wood through a saw would be totally different from the requirements of a entry technical or medical job.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly!

EAT italicized.

I categorically disagree.

If your job is listed as entry level that means you're hiring someone with zero experience and are expecting to supply OJT.  Note that zero experience does NOT mean zero training.  If the position requires a degree or trade school, entry level means that the ink is still wet on the degree/cert.

As for the entry level brain surgeon as asked about above, I expect that they will have a PHD in medicine and specialized training in brain anatomy and surgery.  The entry level position would be an assistant to an experienced brain surgeon... again OJT but the entry level position should have, in both cases discussed here, reduced pay.  

Is entry level brain surgery even a thing?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
they have high expectations and only get people that cant meet the requirements and then are able to hire an Indian for half the $$.
they bitch because there is no skilled people to fill the positions.

most companies do this anymore and wonder why only crazy people apply.

Its their business of course but that doesn't mean its the best way to find good help.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Those crack me up...  They want a PhD (multiple preferred) Nobel Laureate with 20 years' experience... on a piece of software that was released last year.. all for the princely sum of $45K/year and work in a cubicle next to the sewage plant.  Then they wonder why they get no "qualified candidates" and have to promote Shaniqua the barely literate receptionist instead.
View Quote
I call those "God" jobs, as in only God could qualify for.

I remember seeing IT jobs requiring 5-years experience in Windows 2000.  only problem, job listing was in 2001-2002.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riiiiight.  Why do employees jump from job to job?  How about why do employers expect an employee to stay with the company when they;

A)  ... give a maximum raise that barely keeps pace with the US Gov statement on what inflation was last year?  If the best raise you can get just means your buying power wasn't eroded this year what real incentive does a person have to stay with a company?

B)  ... lowball your wage/salary when you put in the time/money/effort to train for a better position, and actually submit the paperwork to get into said position in the same company you're currently with?

First off, let's look at A more closely.  The US government always lies about the rate of inflation.  If they say it's 3% it's probably closer to 4.5%.  Now if you bust your chops and are the ideal yes man, you might, just maybe, get that 3%.  Or, more likely, it'll go to your manager's favorite pet.  Either way, what incentive do you have to stay with a company that treats you like that, i.e. most of them.

The only real option in either scenario is to go find another company.  They're all disposable from my experience.  With universities cranking out ignorant, greedy, power hungry, petty little MBAs right and left there's no shortage of "managers" who need their bonus for keeping the cost of employees down, regardless of which "opportunity" you seek to pursue next.  This isn't the '50s where a company actually has some loyalty to their employees and there's an actual benefit (20 year retirement) for staying at a company.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Is this a drafting job OP?  I think I caught that implication in one of your replies.

If yes, this is an easy one.

I want a guy that has 10 years experience in drafting.  I have no time to teach you how to make a damn drawing or use the software.  If you can't make a detail drawing that, when checked, doesn't look like a pig was butchered on it, then I can't use you.

You will start on entry level detail work for an industry you have no knowledge in.  You used to make drawings of flanges for a fab shop tailoring to the oil fields?  Fine, I need someone to detail an 8-roll flattener for a zinc line, then once that's done, we need to get on the vertical looper.  Don't worry that you have no idea how the machines work, you'll learn it as you stay.

THAT is how you do entry level with 10 years experience.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Wanting and getting are two different things. Might as well aim high.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#50]
It's probably not a real posting.  Either:

A) meeting visa requirments so they can say there are no qualified American workers, or

B) the other engineers are working 120 hours a week and they are saying "don't leave, we are looking for someone if you can just stick it out", to eek a bit more life out of them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top