Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 11:27:05 PM EDT
So, my 8 year old Onkyo TX-SR707 died.  There is no more sound coming out of it.  I have about decided on an Onkyo TX-NR757 @$600 or maybe the TX-NR747 for $480.  
Good choice, bad choice, something else?

The big must have is HDMI 2.2 for 4k support and HDR support.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, my 8 year old Onkyo TX-SR707 died.  There is no more sound coming out of it.  I have about decided on an Onkyo TX-NR757 @$600 or maybe the TX-NR747 for $480.  

View Quote

No one?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I'm liking my new Yamaha RX-V681BL.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I honestly don't think HDMI in a reciever is needed any more.
My TV has plenty of inputs, and if I route the audio output from the TV to the reciever, i never have to do anything other than turn on the TV and pic which signal i wanna watch.

The TV is already gonna have all the app stuff, and all of the periphs will be sending audio over HDMI anyway.

Your experience may vary.

bought a yamaha RVX57?  over the xmas break for my sister. Their networked recievers work great.  ~400 bucks.

Adam
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a fan of Pioneer Elite. 
Mine has been going strong for many years and I'm only thinking of replacing it with a new one is because my current one doesn't have ANY hdmi.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a Denon AVR fan, going back to their 3200, then the 3300 and now the 891.  All are in that 5x100w range and this latest is 7.2.

I like the brand and I've had good luck over the years with Denon products.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My TV has plenty of inputs, and if I route the audio output from the TV to the reciever, i never have to do anything other than turn on the TV and pic which signal i wanna watch.

The TV is already gonna have all the app stuff, and all of the periphs will be sending audio over HDMI anyway.

bought a yamaha RVX57?  over the xmas break for my sister. Their networked recievers work great.  ~400 bucks.

Adam
View Quote

RX-V481 maybe?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16886971035

A RX-V681 is a possibility.  Currently, I select the source from the receiver.  My 10 year old TV doesn't feed back audio that well or at all.  The next TV will be HDR, OLED, and 4k, in that order but I want to put that off until LG has some competition and the prices come down.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of Pioneer Elite. 
Mine has been going strong for many years and I'm only thinking of replacing it with a new one is because my current one doesn't have ANY hdmi.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat with my Sony ES. Looking at Marantz or Denon though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Adam
View Quote

That method is OK if you're aware of the limitations of ARC.  Personally I like listening to my audio in its native format (TrueHD/DTS-MA/etc) of which some are not currently supported and cannot be passed over ARC back to the receiver.

There's also many of us with clean installations where AV equipment is located in a different location than the TV.  Running one 10ft. HDMI though a wall to the TV is much easier than 6 separate cables.

FWIW I'm a fan of Denon AVRs
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A RX-V681 is a possibility.  Currently, I select the source from the receiver.  My 10 year old TV doesn't feed back audio that well or at all.  The next TV will be HDR, OLED, and 4k, in that order but I want to put that off until LG has some competition and the prices come down.
View Quote

I think we ended up getting the RX-V473 (previous gen).  What sources do you have that are making 4k / HDR content?  Assuming your not using any fringe-gimicky audio formats, the optical audio out from the TV to the amp is sufficient for alot of stuff.

Maybe buy a cheap craigslist surround reciever till you get a new TV, and have your sources all sorted out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Huge Yamaha fan. I have one of their higher end units. it has been chugging along like a champ for 17 years. no video it's audio only.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had 3 Denon Receivers right at the 1000 dollar  price point and was happy with all except the last one which was the 3310CI
it kept eating network/hdmi boards and then tried to destroy my Boston VR series  speakers so I tossed it in the dumpster and
went with the new at the time RX-A1050 - AVENTAGE series. holy crap what a huge improvement over the last denon
I think the latest at that price point is the RX-A1060 both have the HDCP 2.2 4k support
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Huge Yamaha fan. I have one of their higher end units. it has been chugging along like a champ for 17 years. no video it's audio only.
View Quote

I'm on my second Yamaha...in 24 years.  

My first still works but was too old for Dolby digital, hdmi, etc.  Now my current one is nearing technological obsolescence.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]
It only lasted 8 years and you want to buy the same brand again?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been very happy with my Onkyo NR626.

I don't know if it's 4k compatible or not, if the ones you are talking about are then they are probably a good choice.

Onkyo is my "go-to" for that stuff and has been since I bought my first TX-108 in 1988,
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Anytime I am looking to buy something that has a huge field of choice I go to thewirecutter.com.  

I own the receiver that is recommended.  
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-receiver/
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm a Denon AVR fan, going back to their 3200, then the 3300 and now the 891.  All are in that 5x100w range and this latest is 7.2.

Chris
View Quote

I've owned many brands, Denon has the best sound IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

this, and the built-in Audyssey MultEQ feature which does an excellent job matching the system to the room.

ar-jedi

before moving the furniture back...

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

People are generally familiar with what they see in Best Buy, maybe Sound Advice (if you have any left) and perhaps some local places.

Denon has a storied history and made the POA S1 250w ($40,000 early 2000s) mono blocks and PRA S1 two chassis preamp ($17,000) and both are statement pieces.

Sony makes a flagship speaker that competes with some of the pimpier brands and the same with Technics...even JBL and Klipsch have done some really nice, high quality stuff in this renaissance we're currently in, of great sounding gear for the money.

That single monoblock weighs in at 180# and there are obviously two.  I've seen them with their covers off and they're a work of art inside.

They still hold their own against more modern and more boutique gear.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It only lasted 8 years and you want to buy the same brand again?
View Quote

LOL 8 years in modern home theater / tv equipment is a good run.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That single monoblock weighs in at 180# and there are obviously two.  I've seen them with their covers off and they're a work of art inside.
Chris
View Quote

i'm not sure how this is helping the OP?

McIntosh, Krell, Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Cary, Conrad Johnson, etc may be *slightly* out of the OP's price range and moreover they don't do 5.1/7.1, much less 4K.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a Denon AVR2112CI for $490 on Amazon from World Wide Stereo. Apparently they were out of stock so I got a free upgrade to the AVR2312CI. I'm no audiophile but I love the thing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

i'm not sure how this is helping the OP?

McIntosh, Krell, Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Cary, Conrad Johnson, etc may be *slightly* out of the OP's price range and moreover they don't do 5.1/7.1, much less 4K.  

ar-jedi
View Quote

It's a tangential FYI regarding Denon products and what SOTA equipment a company can make, with the right brains and and a decent budget.  Who would you rather have make your mass market receiver?  Yorx, or somebody like Sony, Denon, or Pioneer, who all have a lot of trickle down technology in this stuff?

We're all just throwing out names here, right?  For most needs, a $300-$500 jobbie will probably be fine and then one of just about any stripe.

The helpful info would be from people who have actually used the stuff and have actually compared what they've used with other makes and models, for some context.  My Denon run goes something like this:  Denon 3200 DD, no DTS.  Sent that to a sister.  Denon 3300 DD and DTS, but no HDMI.  Lost right channel in 5.1 processing after 8 years.  AVR 891 DD, DTS, 7.2 and HDMI out the ass.  All three in that 95w-105w times 5 range.

Today, most AVR units do the same stuff--the latest DD and DTS codecs, multiple HDMI inputs, maybe provision for a second sub input, MP3/smartphone inputs, the Audyssey DSP mic and software and that's pretty much it for 99% of most peoples' needs.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

this, and the built-in Audyssey MultEQ feature which does an excellent job matching the system to the room.

ar-jedi

before moving the furniture back...

http://ziva.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/37279-1/DSCN8332.JPG

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/37248-1/DSCN8317.JPG
View Quote
Very slick install--I can't even see where the wiring terminates.  Personally, I give Audyssey the benefit of measuring the real world characteristics of the room with furniture in place.

Back in 2012 or so I bought an Onkyo but returned it due to the heat generated and constant loud and distracting clicking.  Have been happy with the Denon, and it has a much better UI than the Onkyo, and it runs much cooler.  If I replace it, it will likely be a new Denon after I get a 4k TV this year, which will depend on how good the built in apps in the TV are.  Eventually, they just get obsolete with the changes in technology.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
My Yamaha HTR-5660 has been running strong for 13-14 years. When it dies or an upgrade becomes a necessity, I'll be going with another Yamaha.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought the 481 as an open box from best buy last week ($293). They had a 581 (1025 watts/7.1 vs. the 481's 725w/5.1) but it didn't have a remote, so I bought the lesser, thinking if it didn't have enough juice, I'd bring it back and get the juicier one.

It's plenty. I'm using Klipsch R24-F speakers from BestBuy, and the receiver has plenty of juice to power them. I can reach full volume, but it's ridiculous and is shaking the walls. The 481 has a lot for a "beginner" receiver. There is nothing I don't like about it. I won't have a 7 channel surround sound anyway, so that'd be the only detractor if I needed the extra two speakers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 10+ year old Onkyo that is kicking along fine. I hope I never have to replace it. I run Crown amps for the sub (a lilWrecker horn built from plans on AVSForums) and mains (Klipsch RF-7ii's). HDMI switching is handled by the TV and I use optical for as much of the audio channel as possible. When I do need to replace the Onkyo I'll probably get Crowns for the other speakers and just get some kind of brain box rather than something with internal amplification.

Said differently, my Onkyo is great and if I needed another AVR I'd likely get an Onkyo again but an AVR probably isn't my path forward.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Get the best Yamaha in your budget.  Looks like the RX-V681.

I've always had Yamaha equipment.  Went with Onkyo one time and weeks out of the warranty I was looking up how to fix it on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Very slick install--I can't even see where the wiring terminates.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Very slick install--I can't even see where the wiring terminates.  

i had a lot of options... see below.  

Quoted:
Personally, I give Audyssey the benefit of measuring the real world characteristics of the room with furniture in place.

yes, that's the correct way to do it; the characteristics of the room are very different with the floor covering and furniture in place.
and of course Audyssey makes it a snap to re-run analysis if you decide to move things around.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#29]
one more (important) thing that i thought of...

heat is the enemy of electronics -- especially high power amplifiers.  so, design your install such that there is sufficient airflow around your A/V gear, or force air past it using one or more quiet fans.  

it is difficult to see above, but the in-wall compartment that houses the A/V receiver and the FIOS STB is 24" deep, but the two shelves are only 18" deep.  this means there is a 6" gap between the rear edge of each shelf and the rear wall of the compartment.  this provides a cable routing pathway (and there are LOTS of cables in a 5.1 install with many sources -- as an example, my PC can also drive the LCD panel from the other end of the room via in-wall HDMI cabling).  but more importantly, this means that cool air can come in through the lower front of the compartment (past the A/V receiver) and through free convection the heated air travels up along the back of the compartment and is exhausted out the top front of the compartment.   it's a nice little chimney effect.   this approach is but one way of making sure that the A/V receiver (etc) are not just sitting in dead hot air.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a fan of the Onkyo's...
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Currently using a Yamaha DSP-A3090 processor.    Will be getting a new in the box Yamaha RX-V1700 for cheap in a few days to replace it.

Now I'm only about 11 years behind the times vs 20.    
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#33]
That was fun to plan I'm sure.  Wish I was able to start from the studs like that.  Looks amazing!  I've got an SVS in one corner of the living room and it admittedly doesn't look so amazing.

I was thinking about what seemed like a tight fit for the AVR and wondered if you had a mini fan back there.  Dust is not good for electronics either.  One of my channels started distorting when loud and I fixed it by blowing it out with a compressor--it was drywall dust from construction.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm on my second Yamaha...in 24 years.  

My first still works but was too old for Dolby digital, hdmi, etc.  Now my current one is nearing technological obsolescence.
View Quote

Yeah, my 20+ year old Yamaha is stick kicking ass in the garage. Denon of the same vintage just took a shit (about a day after installing it in the new house). Trying to find a decent one with HDMI inputs now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yeah, my 20+ year old Yamaha is stick kicking ass in the garage. Denon of the same vintage just took a shit (about a day after installing it in the new house). Trying to find a decent one with HDMI inputs now.
View Quote

the ARFCOM of A/V:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#36]
For anyone who doesn't need the absolute latest greatest tech, there are good deals to be found on craigslist, and not just 20 yo completely obsolete gear.  Specs for anything of interest can be found easily online.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I will never buy Onkyo again after their continued HDMI issues.

Love my Yamaha.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really!?
Thats sad.

That stuff should last 10-20years you'd think.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
They are a bit over the budget you mentioned but I have a Marantz SR6011. In the past I have owned an Onkyo and a Yamaha. I am no audiophile but the Marantz just sounds better to me. I still have the Onkyo and use it in my garage. The Yamaha died an early death.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Denon AVR-X3300W is what I'll be going with.  Based on recommendations on this forum and other articles online.

I'll second that wirecutter resource.  They have good articles IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Really!?
Thats sad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really!?
Thats sad.

The issue is more technological obsolescence than equipment failure I believe.  I could not imagine buying an AVR lacking Audyssey, but I sure can live without a phono input.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Denon AVR-X3300W is what I'll be going with.  Based on recommendations on this forum and other articles online.

I'll second that wirecutter resource.  They have good articles IMO.
View Quote

I've liked Denon because they still rate their amp section for 5 channels from 20Hz-20kHz, instead of the easier 5 channels at a 1kHz frequency, or even only the L/R channels at a singular frequency.  It's easier to do that latter, than the former.

Your 3300W is similar to my older AVR-891, without some of the latest software doohickeys.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#44]

i bet with a little creativity you can fit more wires back there!

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That method is OK if you're aware of the limitations of ARC.  Personally I like listening to my audio in its native format (TrueHD/DTS-MA/etc) of which some are not currently supported and cannot be passed over ARC back to the receiver.

There's also many of us with clean installations where AV equipment is located in a different location than the TV.  Running one 10ft. HDMI though a wall to the TV is much easier than 6 separate cables.

FWIW I'm a fan of Denon AVRs
View Quote

Agreed, my Denon (Japanese-made) unit is 12 yrs old and chugging away. If I had to buy a replacement, I'd buy another Denon. I *might* cross shop upper-end Yamaha, Sony ES or a Pioneer Elite.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#46]
i have a denon
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ar-jedi

It reminds me of my current setup which could accommodate 5 pairs of speakers, a center speaker, and 2 subs.  I only have 1 sub.    

I have decided I need up conversion capability.  My short list is now up to 5.  (Onkyo TXNR-656 and 757, Yamaha RX-V681 & RX-A760, Denon AVR-X3300W)

[url=https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html?tp=179&pg=1#&nvpair=FFBrand|Denon&nvpair=FFBrand|Harman Kardon&nvpair=FFBrand|Marantz&nvpair=FFBrand|NAD&nvpair=FFBrand|Onkyo&nvpair=FFBrand|Pioneer&nvpair=FFBrand|Yamaha&nvpair=FFNumber_Of_Channels|[rank007.00]7&nvpair=FFNumber_Of_Channels|[rank009.00]9&nvpair=FFNumber_Of_Channels|[rank011.00]11&nvpair=FFInternet@ready|[rank1]Built-in Wi-Fi, Wired Ethernet&nvpair=FFHDCP_2.2_for_4K_Video|Yes&nvpair=AG_HDMI_Video_Conversion|FFFrom_Component&nvpair=AG_HDMI_Video_Conversion|FFFrom_HDMI&price=390-800]My current search criteria[/url]

Update: I picked up a Onkyo TXNR-656 for $350 at a local Best Buy.  I went in there so if I didn't like it, it would be easy to return.  I was pleasantly surprised it was $50 cheaper than on-line even with sales tax is was $377 out the door.  
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-7-2-channel-network-a-v-receiver-black/5017600.p?skuId=5017600
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR656&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR656-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B01D86TLES
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Update: I picked up a Onkyo TXNR-656 for $350 at a local Best Buy.  I went in there so if I didn't like it, it would be easy to return.  I was pleasantly surprised it was $50 cheaper than on-line even with sales tax is was $377 out the door.  
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-7-2-channel-network-a-v-receiver-black/5017600.p?skuId=5017600
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR656&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR656-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B01D86TLES
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Yamaha Aventage

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a760_u/

This one's 2 channel 90W rating is from 20Hz to 20kHz.  Cheaper receivers of greater or equal wattage will usually not have that range in their ratings.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#50]
I had an onkyo and liked it. But they no longer use Audyssey, opting instead for their own version.

Not sure how their new version is.

I would have recommended something with at least Audyssey silver and at least 4 ohm output. Onkyo always had 4 ohm (I think maybe even 2 ohm on some models?) but I see your version is a minimum 6 ohm. Not sure how you're going to get to 6 ohms without a lof of speaker per channel.

I would say a downside of the model you chose is that you have either surround back or atmos heights. You can't do both. A lot of receivers will allow you to do both, but you need to furnish an external amplifier.

However, as long as it does what you want it to, onkyo is a fine unit. I just mention these things because you titled it "home theater"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top