Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 7:17:12 PM EDT
I enjoy washing and waxing our vehicles. It's relaxing for me. Lately I've seen a trend towards foam guns and cannons and I'm trying to figure out why I would want or need one? It seems like it's just an extra time consuming step unless you wash with the foam already on the car. I prefer the two bucket method with grit guards myself so where does this fit in?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do you hate Mexicans? Take it to Mermaid.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I use it when I have heavy mudd on it to break up the mudd or when the car is still clean and don't feel like doing a 2 bucket wash
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I enjoy washing and waxing our vehicles. It's relaxing for me. Lately I've seen a trend towards foam guns and cannons and I'm trying to figure out why I would want or need one? It seems like it's just an extra time consuming step unless you wash with the foam already on the car. I prefer the two bucket method with grit guards myself so where does this fit in?
View Quote

Please explain.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you hate Mexicans? Take it to Mermaid.
View Quote

Talking about car washes in January, OP probably IS Mexican.

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Talking about car washes in January, OP probably IS Mexican.

http://i.imgur.com/dCtHFsZ.png
View Quote

LMAO week this DID use to be Mexico...

But no, not Mexican, just a middle class privileged White dude enjoying mid 70* weather in January.

ETA: you see that little 77 down there, that's me
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use it when I have heavy mudd on it to break up the mudd or when the car is still clean and don't feel like doing a 2 bucket wash
View Quote

So, too dirt for a quick detailer but not dirty enough for a wash?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Please explain.
View Quote

This explained it pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the two bucket method with grit guards and a foam canon (at times)

Only time I use a foam canon is on a high end vehicle where I am trying to get a good deep clean AND a good slick surface to avoid scratching while washing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I've come to hate my car so much that I just run it through a cheap gas station car wash every few months. When I get something I actually like I'll get a foam gun. The soap has to help lubricate some of the dirt that doesn't come off with water. That might just be bull shit, but it couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
clay bar, forget the foam cannon
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Please explain.
View Quote

One with the soap, one with water to rinse the wash mitt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Cannon not canon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Washing is pointless for me 6 months of the year lol.  Gotta love gravel road living.

Tag for the fiance who loves washing her Jeep 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This explained it pretty well.
View Quote

Thank You!
Homework tonight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I foam mine, its fast and easy and I dont have to physically touch the surface of the car with washing mitt. Its the surface pretty damned clean too and in less time than a hand wash.

- Pressure wash off all dirt/debree
- Foam Lance/Cannon
- Waffle Weave it dry

Takes me around 30-40 mins to do it all leisurely on the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One with the soap, one with water to rinse the wash mitt.
View Quote

You made that sound sooooo simple a caveman like me could understand it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Foam lances (pressure washer) are effective in helping with a really dirty car. A quick power wash followed by foaming with a good quality foam (snowfoam or the like), let sit for ten, will break up a lot if the dirt on the car, minimizing the chance for swirl marks. Necessary, maybe not, especially if you are going to polish anyway, but it may let you skip a harsher grit polish. I will use the two bucket method and toss foam on the car first some times because I am occasionally lazy like that. Do you need one, probably not. They are fun though. I also bring mine to work occasion ally to soak the fire engine down in foam, really helps the roll up doors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I want to know how to get the area of the windsheild clean that the wipers dont touch.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well actually you should use the 3 bucket method.

One for wheels (wash wheels first and use a seperate mitt/tool/rag/etc)), one to rinse mitt and one for soap for rest of car.

I'm pretty religious about this and here are some of the fruits of that labor on a almost 10 year old vehicle:
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

One for wheels (wash wheels first and use a seperate mitt/tool/rag/etc)), one to rinse mitt and one for soap for rest of car.

I'm pretty religious about this and here are some of the fruits of that labor on a almost 10 year old vehicle:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/millersho/20161120_170748_zpsfkudwyi5.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always cleaned the wheels first, before I even spray the test of the truck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#23]
You're already doing it the best way. No need to buy more junk. Spend the money on the fancy wax if you feel the itch to buy something. Have you tried Collinite 915 yet? Own a DA polisher? Get some nanoskin pads. There are a bunch of other things I'd get before buying a foam gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang and I thought I was bad washing both my vehicles every week no matter dirty or clean.  I use the one bucket method. I mix my premium mix on my Xterra and then add more soap to the mixture and finish off my wife's truck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I want to know how to get the area of the windsheild clean that the wipers dont touch.
View Quote

Clay bar followed by an alcohol wipedown. Finish with wax or RainX.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Clay bar followed by an alcohol wipedown. Finish with wax or RainX.
View Quote
I'll try that.

thx
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't use a foam gun and everything works out pretty well for me, granted I don't live in an area where I would have any sort of heavy contaminants on my car.  I use the two bucket method with distilled water in the buckets and optimum no rinse.  I don't empty out the bucket of no rinse until I run out of solution, usually lasts about 4 wash cycles.  I spray a few shots of no rinse mixed to the quick detailer amount per panel to help dry the car with microfiber towels. I think that is a more critical step to avoid swirls which a lot of people over look.  Of course it also helps to have a coating on the car as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Rinse to knock off bigger dirt/mud, foam gun the car, two bucket wash with wash mitt, rinse. Now clay bar, foam gun car, wash mitt quickly, rinse, dry. Now wax, Zaino first, then carnauba wax from Adam's polishes.  

All in that order and you should avoid swirl marks. It amazes me how many "car guys" don't know how to properly care for their paint.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
you don't.  I use a bucket and sponge
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bon-Ami, water and a microfiber cloth.

To get rid of hard water stains, 50/50 white vinegar/distilled water and a microfiber cloth. You might have to do it twice if they are really bad.

Just did my truck yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You're already doing it the best way. No need to buy more junk. Spend the money on the fancy wax if you feel the itch to buy something. Have you tried Collinite 915 yet? Own a DA polisher? Get some nanoskin pads. There are a bunch of other things I'd get before buying a foam gun.
View Quote

I have a few fancy waxes actually. A couple Dodo Juice waxes, DP Max Wax, Wolfgang DGPS, and a few others. Way to many for the 2 vehicles I own lol. I do need a DA polisher though. I sold mine off years ago, for no good reason, and have been meaning to get another.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I foam and use a 2 bucket with grit guards in both..

Why?  Because I have OCD and a black car. No sign of any swirls on my car, had to 2 step correct it though off the lot because they don't know how to wash a fuckin car properly
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
clay bar, forget the foam cannon
View Quote

Wat. Clay bar and foam canons aren't even comparable in what they are supposed to achieve.

And OP - use a foam canon with a 2-3 bucket method so you don't turn paint like this...

into paint like this...

Apparently the previous owner of my last car thought it would be cool to dry it with steel wool, so my first weekend with it she got paint correction.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have a few fancy waxes actually. A couple Dodo Juice waxes, DP Max Wax, Wolfgang DGPS, and a few others. Way to many for the 2 vehicles I own lol. I do need a DA polisher though. I sold mine off years ago, for no good reason, and have been meaning to get another.
View Quote
Dodo is good shit.

Currently using their Orange Crush on mine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Am I weird that I wash my car in the pouring down rain then let it rinse it off before pulling it into the garage to dry it??
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Is the hose version that chemical guys sells any good? I don't own a pressure washer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I only wash my car with purified water from lake minnetonka.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is the hose version that chemical guys sells any good? I don't own a pressure washer.
View Quote

It's good but it doesn't stick to the paint like a foam cannon will. Dwell time is significantly less.

My wash routine is foam cannon, 2 buckets with grit guards. I am able to go over my entire sedan with a microfiber mitt before the soap even begins to drip off.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Am I weird that I wash my car in the pouring down rain then let it rinse it off before pulling it into the garage to dry it??
View Quote

I do same
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I only wash my car with purified water from lake minnetonka.
View Quote
Ok Apollonia.

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't buy the foam guns/cannons sold by the car wash supply companies. They're WAY over priced.

For use with garden hose only

For use with pressure washer only

I own both of the above. While the one for the hose is OK, it doesn't do nearly as good of a job as the one for the pressure washer. Foam isn't as thick, doesn't stay on the car as long, and overall isn't as efficient.

I use the foam cannon on my pressure washer after I rinse the car. Let the foam sit while I wash the wheels. Rinse everything then wash with two buckets and a chenille microfiber mitt working from the top down. Rise again and spray detailer before drying with microfiber towels. These are the best microfiber towels ever in the history of mankind. Clay bar if necessary then apply Jet Seal from Chemical Guys followed by Griots Garage Liquid Glass Poly Wax (if waxing - obviously not for every wash).

I'd recommend watching a couple of detailing videos on YouTube to get a general idea of what's going on and what not to do. Often times the most damage is done by those with good intentions but lack of knowledge and proper equipment/supplies/tools.

Oh, and NEVER wash your microfiber towels with anything other than microfiber. On warm, with mild detergent and rinse twice. Dry on extra low or air only, never on medium or high heat. Don't wash car microfiber towels with ones used for other purposes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top