Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I only ride with guys I know, so I would try and help pick up the bike
Are they REALLY 900#?

have never messed with a big Harley, I know they are pretty heavy, but 900?

ETA ,just looked up a Goldwing 799# stock, WOW no wonder they have a reverse gear.

LOL my trials bike is under 150#, I think 138# dry but it's been awhile since I bought it.
View Quote

"Get a REEEAAAALLL bike!"

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Always get on & off from the left side.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't take long for you to roll out the personal insults figured you were a liberal right off, anyway there are no roads like that in Michigan every thing here is flat and straight unfortunately. Riding cross country was a whole new learning experience for me but I went slow and was careful, but I could see how something like this could happen to good rider who are unfamiliar with terrain they not used to negotiating
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Too many riders don't know that you steer in the opposite direction of where you want to go.
View Quote

This - agreed - and target fixation.  

There is a turn on TX336 coming South from 41 that's a descending left sweeper and has white crosses across a deep paved drainage.  Lot of wrecks were caused because new to the area riders would see the white crosses below them with vegetation background and head right for them.  Thankfully the crosses either weathered or were painted - no longer jumping out at you as you turn.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah the second guy was target fixated and in a hurry to help his friend
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah the second guy was target fixated and in a hurry to help his friend
View Quote

Agreed - He was looking back
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't understand the appeal of riding a 1000 lb bike on a road like that, it would be the equivalent of driving through the alps in a dump truck.
View Quote

Once you learn how to ride a big bike, it's actually kinda fun.

Don't ever stop your bike on the fog line.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]
3238 west of Austin. Nice little ride.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't take long for you to roll out the personal insults figured you were a liberal right off, anyway there are no roads like that in Michigan every thing here is flat and straight unfortunately. Riding cross country was a whole new learning experience for me but I went slow and was careful, but I could see how something like this could happen to good rider who are unfamiliar with terrain they not used to negotiating
View Quote

Did you mean to quote someone?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You must be in the east part of the state; there are plenty of hills and curves in Michigan.  The guys who ran off the road in that video are not good riders.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
This is fake.  The Harley show in that video was actually running.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is fake.  The Harley show in that video was actually running.  
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Low siding into a hole sucks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would respectfully disagree. A good rider won't crash because the terrain is unfamiliar.  A good rider would know to take it slow and feel it out first.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Talk about target fixation......they just drove right off of the road. What the hell was that second Harley riding thinking.....I'm just going to drive right off the road and help my buddy out??
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I just virtually drove that route on Google Earth and even I drove off the cliff.

That's a dangerous mother fucker!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't understand the appeal of riding a 1000 lb bike on a road like that, it would be the equivalent of driving through the alps in a dump truck.
View Quote

Great comparison... only the dump truck has CHROME everywhere and is prone to leaking oil everywhere...
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep east side!! But I've rode all over the lower and the u.p . And trust me Michigan curvy roads arnt like out west curvy roads
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#20]
And maybe they are bad riders maybe they're not bad things can happen to good riders .
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#21]
That gif is Sikh.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This guy makes it look easy, but not my cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!  nailed it

lol quote of the day

This guy makes it look easy, but not my cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

The 1800 Gold Wing is likley the best handling road-barge I have ever ridden. It makes a 1500 feel like a frozen crab boat in heavy seas.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wtf happened there?

They laid the bike down on purpose?

That's what the old timers always told me to do, use your back. Take to stop so you can lay it down in a hurry.
View Quote

Said by every guy who CRASHED because he couldn't negotiate a turn or panic stop.
It's a fucking CRASH.
I'd love to know the experience level of those two. Of course, I hate to see anyone go down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Haha. 

Shitty riders gonna do shitty rider things. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used to teach the MSF courses in Jacksonville Florida back in the mid 90's.  

The best part of the course was watching these old grizzled Harley riders talk about their 45 years of riding and bitching because they have to take a beginners course.

Not all of them were like that but most were.  We did have some Harley guys comes through the course that could rides circles around everyone.
View Quote

I took the MSF course with my wife as she was a new rider.
In that class some Harley dude was was there with his wife. They got thrown out. They didn't understand that replacing clutch/brake handles and all the other shit that breaks when you drop a bike, cost more than they paid for the class.
For the record I rode an FLHRP at the time and used it for the advanced class, which was loads of fun until it overheated....
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And maybe they are bad riders maybe they're not bad things can happen to good riders .
View Quote

They're bad riders.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is not correct

A good rider knows how to handle whatever is thrown at him at any time for the machine he is on. If you crash simply traversing a public highway you are not a good rider.

Read Lee Parks book Total Control

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Low siding into a hole sucks.
View Quote

That wasn't a low side. Either of them.

They steered off road. Both bikes completely under control, operators just didn't know how to control properly
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I hate to see video of riders so clueless they put themselves and others in danger just by pulling out of the driveway.
View Quote

This for sure.  Probably out for their once a month drive...

I've ridden that same road many times and never came upon any turn that I'd have thought difficult on a bike.  These clowns had no business on a bike like that without more experience
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hill Country FTW.
View Quote

Looks like a stretch near Marble Falls.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I used to teach the MSF courses in Jacksonville Florida back in the mid 90's.  We taught the basic course to Military and military contractors who had to be on base...
View Quote
Looking at my last card from the NAS Jax course back in '02.  I didn't really mind having to take the course because - we rode motorcycles and got paid to do it.

Additionally, it was my sixth or ninth card needed to ride on a .gov installation but that comes with deployments and the occasional OCONUS PCS.  

I do recall an O at Jax with a brand new Sportster and he was a - badass.  The drill was to run through first gear into second toward the instructor then he would signal for a counter-steered turn to the left or right before being impacted by the trainee.

The Sportster rider glommed the manuver and ended up laying the bike down off to the left.  I just sat there watching as quarts oil flowed out of the tank and all over the rider and the ground because his boot had knocked the rubber oil tank plug loose.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#32]
TZ250 -- I'm guessing  its not your average strip of highway , I can see how someone whos been riding flat lands his whole life and is a safe rider could go to say the tail of the dragon , the iron road or beartooth pass be with friends get some fast riders behind you and they could push themselves into a unsafe situation . I rode my whole life in mi, ohio and Canada and considered myself a good safe rider but when I went out west and hit the iron road , the needles and beartooth  ill admit I was humbled had to swallow my pride and learn the sharp switchbacks , steep up/downhill curves ect its was like the master of basic riding and being thrust into advanced class . so in my case I slowed down and let fast riders pass me till I got the hang of it . I can see where other riders might instead push their safe zone and end up in a ditch , saw it in fact in south Dakota and in beartooth I hit on of the dips like the guy hit in the video and it pulls you toward the ditch
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
TZ250 -- I'm guessing  its not your average strip of highway , I can see how someone whos been riding flat lands his whole life and is a safe rider could go to say the tail of the dragon , the iron road or beartooth pass be with friends get some fast riders behind you and they could push themselves into a unsafe situation . I rode my whole life in mi, ohio and Canada and considered myself a good safe rider but when I went out west and hit the iron road , the needles and beartooth  ill admit I was humbled had to swallow my pride and learn the sharp switchbacks , steep up/downhill curves ect its was like the master of basic riding and being thrust into advanced class . so in my case I slowed down and let fast riders pass me till I got the hang of it . I can see where other riders might instead push their safe zone and end up in a ditch , saw it in fact in south Dakota and in beartooth I hit on of the dips like the guy hit in the video and it pulls you toward the ditch
View Quote

I really don't think you are getting the point here. A good rider is not judged by how many miles he has ridden without a crash. A good rider is someone who has well above average control of the vehicle in any situation, no matter what. If you have not ridden tight mountain roads, and then go to said roads and crash, you are not a good rider. Public highways are engineered with the lowest common denominator in mind. The camber in turns is usually favorable and speed limits and passing zones have huge safety factors.

You can learn to have incredible control of a bike in a flat parking lot. You can also learn a great deal riding off road, where the feeling of riding with the tires sliding or spinning becomes normal.

As I said, read Lee Parks book. I have been riding for almost forty years and have Road raced, drag raced, and ridden hare scrambles, and the book still taught me a great deal.

An analogy is a Master class bullseye pistol shooter. Just because you can shoot a 2650 in a regional doesn't mean you will be able to hold your own in an actual gunfight.

A good rider has competent control, anywhere, anytime.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

"Get a REEEAAAALLL bike!"

View Quote

I got gypped - it doesn't even have a seat

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Goes into ditch.

Easily comes back out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
That looks like a blast. Cool bike. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Sure are a lot of high and mighty riders up in here.

Can't even tell how or why the first guy went down... he gets a pass.

The second guy... straight up piss poor riding. Hope his passenger is okay, she got whipped into that hill pretty hard.

Quoted:
View Quote

My first road bike was a Honda Goldwing that was older than I am. I ran it through the Blue Ridge mountains with some crotch rocket buddies and had a friggin blast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#39]
This video has been out for some time and being a rider for over 40 years and watching this video repeatedly even in slowmo I still don't know WTF is happening here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I used to teach the MSF courses in Jacksonville Florida back in the mid 90's.  We taught the basic course to Military and military contractors who had to be on base.  We also taught the advanced course to the .mil, contractors and the Jacksonville Jaguars players. Civilian riders had to complete the course in order to ride their bikes on base while military members had to complete the course in order to own a bike.

The best part of the course was watching these old grizzled Harley riders talk about their 45 years of riding and bitching because they have to take a beginners course.

Then the guy who is on his first bike and has been riding for a week listens and does what we try to teach them and then breezes through the course.  The old grizzled rider did not listen and would bomb out of the course horribly.

The best part was what we had 2 cones set up at the start point and two cones about 30 feet away inline with the first two cones.  (..      ..) <-like this.  The rider would leave through the first two cones go out about 25-30 yards and simply do a wide U-turn and exit through the other two cones.  The whole time we are screaming "LOOK THROUGH THE TURN".  The new guy would hesitate and finally turn his head and the bike would follow in a tight little u-turn.  The old Harley guys would absolutely refuse to look at any place other than their front tire and eventually they'd get through it with some huge wobbly u-turn.

Not all of them were like that but most were.  We did have some Harley guys comes through the course that could rides circles around everyone.
View Quote

When I did the MSF course at Road America, there were all new 200-250CC bikes that one of the local dealers had hooked them up with. Among others, there was a young Asian guy who had never touched a bike before the class, and a Harley guy who was around 50 that had never bothered to get his license, even though he stated he had been riding for years. Even road his Ultra Classic to the course.

Guess which one failed?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Second rider took a dive just to make the first guy feel better about himself. Now that's a friend right there!
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Holy shit. I can't even come up with a plausible scenario where you dump your bike on the inside like that, except for taking the corner so slow and overly-timid that you target-fixate on where you're about to tip over?

Jesus shitballs, what an appalling display of incompetence.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This video has been out for some time and being a rider for over 40 years and watching this video repeatedly even in slowmo I still don't know WTF is happening here.
View Quote

Six days, brah.

Guess who forgot it was 2017
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Said by every guy who CRASHED because he couldn't negotiate a turn or panic stop.
It's a fucking CRASH.
I'd love to know the experience level of those two. Of course, I hate to see anyone go down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wtf happened there?

They[size=4] laid the bike down</font> on purpose?

That's what the old timers always told me to do, use your back. Take to stop so you can lay it down in a hurry.

It's a fucking CRASH.

My all time favorite is "I had to lay 'er down to keep from crashing."

Great work there sparky! You crashed to avoid a......crash.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

When I did the MSF course at Road America, there were all new 200-250CC bikes that one of the local dealers had hooked them up with. Among others, there was a young Asian guy who had never touched a bike before the class, and a Harley guy who was around 50 that had never bothered to get his license, even though he stated he had been riding for years. Even road his Ultra Classic to the course.

Guess which one failed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to teach the MSF courses in Jacksonville Florida back in the mid 90's.  We taught the basic course to Military and military contractors who had to be on base.  We also taught the advanced course to the .mil, contractors and the Jacksonville Jaguars players. Civilian riders had to complete the course in order to ride their bikes on base while military members had to complete the course in order to own a bike.

Then the guy who is on his first bike and has been riding for a week listens and does what we try to teach them and then breezes through the course.  The old grizzled rider did not listen and would bomb out of the course horribly.

The best part was what we had 2 cones set up at the start point and two cones about 30 feet away inline with the first two cones.  (..      ..) <-like this.  The rider would leave through the first two cones go out about 25-30 yards and simply do a wide U-turn and exit through the other two cones.  The whole time we are screaming "LOOK THROUGH THE TURN".  The new guy would hesitate and finally turn his head and the bike would follow in a tight little u-turn.  The old Harley guys would absolutely refuse to look at any place other than their front tire and eventually they'd get through it with some huge wobbly u-turn.

Guess which one failed?

Saw the same thing when I took the BRC in J'ville. The old guy that had been riding for 20+ years made more mistakes than the rest of us put together.

Now I am a RiderCoach, and teaching a class of newbies really opens my eyes to how important the basics are.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yep east side!! But I've rode all over the lower and the u.p . And trust me Michigan curvy roads arnt like out west curvy roads
View Quote

I've been riding since '68, lived in Colorado for a few years and have ridden parts of the East and West Coasts. I know what mountain roads look like. What those guys in the video crashed on was nothing but a winding uphill road with no shoulder. A good rider pays attention to the road and doesn't ride off it at slow speed into a ravine. A rider or passenger could have been crushed or pinned by one of those  bikes tumbling down the hill. It happens.  They look like two guys who started riding in mid life and never developed the skills and the "edge" a good rider needs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#48]
There's a reason the average Harley owner trailers their bike most places.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice.  I took the MSF course way back in the late 90s when I first stated riding. I had actually been riding on the street for about a year at that time without a motorcycle endorsement, so I had a little experience but wanted to be legal and get some actual instruction.

When I first showed up in the classroom, there was a women talking loudly to everyone around her about how many thousands of miles she's ridden on the back of her husband's Harley, as if it made her some kind of an expert.  She asked me what was the longest motorcycle ride I've been on, and I told her (prob 100 mile round trip up to Glacier Park).  She turned her nose up at me and scoffed, and started talking about her long multi-day rides.  She was asking people what kind of bike they had and then would roll her eyes if it wasn't a Harley. Just really abrasive and condescending to everyone else who would listen to her.

When we finally got to the riding portion of the class she was the only one who dropped her bike (multiple times), couldn't weave through the cones, couldn't stay inside the lines on the turn.  She ended up failing the class.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#50]
The video does not do that corner justice.

It is not just a decreasing radius curve, it is more like a hard 90 and the incline increases significantly in the middle of the 90.
Think steep stairs with a hard 90 turn.

It will fool you, I have seen it bite riders of ALL levels..............It looks like a smooth decreasing radius, it is not..........

If you don't keep the power on tap while making the 90, it will bite you. As the incline increases greatly - calling for power NOW.

Lighter bikes are easier to run thru there, a bagger Harley or Goldwing, not so much.

Appears bike #1 fell victim to the corner, while bike #2 fell victim to target fixation while watching bike #1

Notice how the camera bike had to keep going uphill a bit after the crash site? That is because it is so steep there there is no way to just "stop and park".

It got my attention the first time! (grew up on dirt bikes, then Moto-X, then 40k miles on the street - ST1300 was my last)
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top