User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Built it.  You're going to get what you want and not have to adapt what someone else wanted.

Don't go every day, but plan on swinging by multiple times a week to check in. 

We built and if we didn't at least drive by they would have had the slab poured facing the wrong way. Little stuff can always be corrected, but the big stuff has to get caught before it's done.
View Quote

Would you tell us who the Builder and what area was in?
   I'm curious for my own personal knowledge especially if it's in the Greenville County area.  
If you don't want to post publicly a private message would be great.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
After you are done building hire a home inspector.  Just because it's new doesn't mean it was done right. This will be one if your biggest expenses in life. Spend the $300 or so to make sure it's done right.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Actually you shouldn't do this for a few reasons.

(A) You can't be in the house while the trades are working. (You contract will be specific about this)  You have to schedule visits in advance with the builder when the trades are not working.  You have to wear a dorky looking hard hat and abide by all the job site rules.

(B) There won't be work done every single day.  If the house is waiting for a trade, inspection or materials, so are just making a trip for nothing.

(C) Unless You actually KNOW what you are talking about, You will only piss off the super and trades.

I was in new homes for nearly 15 years.  The "Daily Visitors" were ALWAYS the problem children who were miserable in the process, and made it miserable for everybody else to have to deal with.

Remember, The Builder can cancel your contract and sell the home to someone else who is not acting like a dick, (and often for more money).  

Helpful Suggestions

1 Don't come every day.  Come by a few times a week (Wednesday & Saturdays / Sundays).  
2 make a written specific list of items of concern and BE VERY SPECIFIC About WHAT it is, WHERE it is & WHY it is you are concerned.  You can also attach pictures
3 Don't expect the super to stop and drop everything for you anytime you have an issue.  The building process has clearly defined periods specifically for "Corrections"
4 Your home will have independent inspections at several stages of construction.  Unless you are an expert and really know the technical specifications of the building code, don't try to be "the expert" and don't threaten anybody (hint - it only goes badly for you).  I have watched a client go to jail for threatening City Inspectors.
5 Be Civil and Polite to the Super and the on site staff.  They can and will kick you off the job site if you are not. (Yes, the contract gives them that right)

It doesn't have to be adversarial.  Most builders and Supers want their clients to be very happy with their homes and will do all they can to that goal.  

Remember, If you are buying from a production builder at production home prices, don't expect custom level services.
View Quote

I'll be building a house on land I already own, by hiring my own architect and a custom home builder.

If there's any contract wording that says I can't go through the house when the tradesmen are there, the GC won't get my business.  My parents had a custom home built and the GC actually encouraged them to stop by with him when he was there to fix any issues that popped up.  Hard hats? lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll be building a house on land I already own, by hiring my own architect and a custom home builder.

If there's any contract wording that says I can't go through the house when the tradesmen are there, the GC won't get my business.  My parents had a custom home built and the GC actually encouraged them to stop by with him when he was there to fix any issues that popped up.  Hard hats? lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually you shouldn't do this for a few reasons.

(A) You can't be in the house while the trades are working. (You contract will be specific about this)  You have to schedule visits in advance with the builder when the trades are not working.  You have to wear a dorky looking hard hat and abide by all the job site rules.

(B) There won't be work done every single day.  If the house is waiting for a trade, inspection or materials, so are just making a trip for nothing.

(C) Unless You actually KNOW what you are talking about, You will only piss off the super and trades.

I was in new homes for nearly 15 years.  The "Daily Visitors" were ALWAYS the problem children who were miserable in the process, and made it miserable for everybody else to have to deal with.

Remember, The Builder can cancel your contract and sell the home to someone else who is not acting like a dick, (and often for more money).  

Helpful Suggestions

1 Don't come every day.  Come by a few times a week (Wednesday & Saturdays / Sundays).  
2 make a written specific list of items of concern and BE VERY SPECIFIC About WHAT it is, WHERE it is & WHY it is you are concerned.  You can also attach pictures
3 Don't expect the super to stop and drop everything for you anytime you have an issue.  The building process has clearly defined periods specifically for "Corrections"
4 Your home will have independent inspections at several stages of construction.  Unless you are an expert and really know the technical specifications of the building code, don't try to be "the expert" and don't threaten anybody (hint - it only goes badly for you).  I have watched a client go to jail for threatening City Inspectors.
5 Be Civil and Polite to the Super and the on site staff.  They can and will kick you off the job site if you are not. (Yes, the contract gives them that right)

It doesn't have to be adversarial.  Most builders and Supers want their clients to be very happy with their homes and will do all they can to that goal.  

Remember, If you are buying from a production builder at production home prices, don't expect custom level services.

Same thing with me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After you are done building hire a home inspector.  Just because it's new doesn't mean it was done right. This will be one if your biggest expenses in life. Spend the $300 or so to make sure it's done right.
View Quote

This is laughable. To be a "licensed" home inspector all you need is $ and a weekend course. A home "inspection" is a big waste of money, if you want to know ask an expert, not someone's that decided last week to start a new career in a field that they know nothing about. Remember to ask yourself, if they know all of this, then why aren't they building homes....? The "better" inspectors are retired "gubment" code inspectors. Usually they worked in one specific field and knew very little outside of it. Before that they actually worked in said specific field, but couldn't actually make it in the business.
As a licensed builder that has been in construction for over 25 years, I routinely make trips around the SE to look at property for friends. Trust me "home inspections" are a joke. So laughable.
In your home state of Virginia, the license is voluntary. Your best bet is to use a small reputable local builder.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's funny
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've done it both ways.
Have one built!
Yeah, it can be a hassle trying to keep the contractor on track - but it's worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is laughable. To be a "licensed" home inspector all you need is $ and a weekend course. A home "inspection" is a big waste of money, if you want to know ask an expert, not someone's that decided last week to start a new career in a field that they know nothing about. Remember to ask yourself, if they know all of this, then why aren't they building homes....? The "better" inspectors are retired "gubment" code inspectors. Usually they worked in one specific field and knew very little outside of it. Before that they actually worked in said specific field, but couldn't actually make it in the business.
As a licensed builder that has been in construction for over 25 years, I routinely make trips around the SE to look at property for friends. Trust me "home inspections" are a joke. So laughable.
In your home state of Virginia, the license is voluntary. Your best bet is to use a small reputable local builder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK so you're saying trust the builder that all the work was done correctly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have three choices
1) use a reputable builder and trust them
2) use a reputable builder and hire a third party expert
3) use a reputable builder and hire an "inspector" that actually has little or no experience
1 and 2 are good options, the banks will most likely make you do 3. It's really a waste of your money.
The "inspector" which is very unlikely to find anything in a new home, because most likely the permits have covered everything anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The inspector always find something. That something is usually a item built to code but not what their weekend class said it should be
  There are good Inspectors but take things with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, so I have a little update.
We got a quote for a 2030sq/ft Craftsman stile ranch house on 5 acre undeveloped land. 3 car garage-fully finished, 10ft ceiling throughout the house. Fully framed and insulated basement (2000sf). 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms,23k kitchen allowance, gas fireplace, shit load of windows throughout, prep for bathroom and bedrooms downstairs. Well, septic, 12x13 vault room, no landscape, 75ft concrete driveway+concrete pad in front of 3 car garage.
My quote came in at $312. I think I can get it down to $298k.

Should I fo?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top