Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2016 11:11:31 PM EDT
We brought him to the vet and they were unsure if he'd make it.

He made it but he definitely has issues that hopefully are just part of the postical phase.

The worst part is the only thing that soothes him is the Kenny G Christmas album.  I've listened to it a million times today.  As soon as it's over he's up.  I put it back on and he lays back down.

I found this out this morning after putting it on just to listen to it.  He stopped whining, stopped his constant wandering, and laid down in front of the speakers and went to sleep.  It ended and he was up so I put it back on and down he went.

I'm listening to it now... again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Fpni, but I hope you're not. Poor gsd
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
If this is a serious thread, then canine seizures are easily treatable. The vet will prescribe a pill and your dog will be fine. 

Unless it's a brain tumor, which it usually isn't. Canine seizures are actually pretty common. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Been there.  Is he old?  Old dogs don't just start seizuring for no reason.  Our 10 year old GSD started seizuring last year and sometimes it would take hours to recover, sometimes a short while.  Vet said probably ideopathic epilepsy and put him on phenobarb, but my internet research led me to believe a brain tumor was most likely.   We lost him within 6 months at the ER vet and she agreed at his age it was likely a tumor and there was nothing I could have done.

A week before he died, it looked as if he had some vision issues developing and I was going to take him in for a checkup, but it all happened too fast.  Another symptom of a possible brain tumor was the vision issue, but I didn't connect it until after it was all over.  I was ready to take him to get an MRI, but the vet said it was just epilepsy.

Keep an eye out.  He will likely need phenobarb and watch for other symptoms.  If he is young it could be plain old epilepsy.  If old, maybe not.  Sorry you are going through this.  It broke my heart to lose my boy so quickly and unexpectedly.  I hope your dog recovers and has no more seizures.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Our Anatolian has seizures.
It took some messing around with the dosage, but phenobarbital has been a life saver.

Good luck, I hope you can find a way to stop them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
onset seizures in GSD begin around the age of 2 normally.
etiology unknown- Idiopathic Seizures
research at our laboratory indicates that certain preservatives used in some dog foods initiate the activity. we counsel  our clients (Veterinarians) to have the owners begin either home cooking food for the dogs which is cheap and easy or utilizing clean foods with only vitamin based preservatives. we have kept up data from our clients all over the US and many issues are the same.

many times a clean food will work great for years and then go dirty by the original company being bought out and the food recipe being changed as a cost cutting maneuver.

the key to a healthy dog is to feed very high quality, preservative free foods.
personally, we have had outstanding results with Chicken and Rice Premium Edge supplemented with cubes of raw chicken and scrambled eggs 2x a week. I have been feeding this routine to GSD and Labradors for 18 years and my competition dogs are run and hunted hard with very rare Vet visits.

Phenobarbital helps in some cases but changes in foods have allowed alot of dogs to be taken off the script.

most commercial food is pure crap and unfit for canine health.

feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Serious thread.

He was started on Zonisamide and went three months without a seizure.  Then on Tuesday he had two, Wednesday he had a total of 15, most of which were at the vets and after IV Ativan.  They had to give IV Phenobarbital and Propofol and kept him over night.

He's got some Todd's Paresis effecting his back legs and his field of vision is altered.  

And he's two.  He's negative for everything and has Idopathic epilepsy.

And I'm serious about Kenny G.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The dog needs cranial imaging. Period. That being said, like someone else stated, it's seldom good news.

It's a VERY painful condition. Eye pressure goes through the roof, chronic and very painful headaches due to extreme cranial pressure.

You need to consider what's most humane because it's a very tough thing for any dog if a tumor is responsible and there's a decent chance it is. It's not uncommon to visually inspect your dog and look for one of the eyes buldging more than the other. That's often a tell tale sign of glaucoma due to cranial pressure.

K9 MRI's are expensive, but keep very close tabs on him. His behavior would indicate he's very uncomfortable and likely in pain.

Sorry to hear this. The dog being only 2 could also be a congenital defect. If you can, see what the health is of his litter. That's a route that might provide clues.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Our 3 pound Chi has seizures. The vet gave us pre filled syringes of valium to give rectally when she has a seizure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, ask your vet about Gabapentin.

It's used for general neuropathy, including pain. Not widely used yet, but recent use has shown good signs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Prayers for your GSD.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
My mal had some bad seizures about a month ago. But that was because he got into some RDX during training (not fun to deal with at all).

Hope ya pup gets better.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The dog needs cranial imaging. Period. That being said, like someone else stated, it's seldom good news.

It's a VERY painful condition. Eye pressure goes through the roof, chronic and very painful headaches due to extreme cranial pressure.

You need to consider what's most humane because it's a very tough thing for any dog if a tumor is responsible and there's a decent chance it is. It's not uncommon to visually inspect your dog and look for one of the eyes buldging more than the other. That's often a tell tale sign of glaucoma due to cranial pressure.

K9 MRI's are expensive, but keep very close tabs on him. His behavior would indicate he's very uncomfortable and likely in pain.

Sorry to hear this. The dog being only 2 could also be a congenital defect. If you can, see what the health is of his litter. That's a route that might provide clues.
View Quote

Please take this post seriously.  If this persists, get that MRI.  My heart still breaks knowing my dog probably had bad headaches, that I listened to my regular vet telling me it was just idiopathic seizures, while my gut was saying otherwise.

Trifexis.  If you use it for HW preventive, stop it immediately, and use something else.  The Comfortis (the flea control) in the Trifexis can aggravate seizures in dogs with the tendency.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Have heard that  CBD oil stops constant seizures in humans.    Maybe dogs too?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Please take this post seriously.  If this persists, get that MRI.  My heart still breaks knowing my dog probably had bad headaches, that I listened to my regular vet telling me it was just idiopathic seizures, while my gut was saying otherwise.

Trifexis.  If you use it for HW preventive, stop it immediately, and use something else.  The Comfortis (the flea control) in the Trifexis can aggravate seizures in dogs with the tendency.
View Quote

both posts are legit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Our Anatolian has seizures.
It took some messing around with the dosage, but phenobarbital has been a life saver.

Good luck, I hope you can find a way to stop them.
View Quote

We had a Cholate lab , phenobarbital twice a day for years, just put in broken pieces of hot dogs, glup gone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Hope your dog recovers and enjoys life like a dog should.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have heard that  CBD oil stops constant seizures in humans.    Maybe dogs too?
View Quote
Off topic but DEA labled CBD a schedule 1 narcotic just a couple days ago.

Once again - sorry to hear about dog. Hope vet / meds help out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#20]
We had bird dog, when I was a kid, that would have seizures.  The springer spaniel would not eat if he thought he was going hunting (old clothes/boots/guns by the door).  When we got the pointer dad didn't feed him before going hunting either.  The pointer would crash part way through the day.  He'd be running, go all wobbly, fall down, eyes roll back, slobber/quiver/shake, etc.  Dad brought him home the first couple of times and he'd eventually get up and run into stuff in the basement, like he was blind/couldn't see well.  Then, one time, dad held a half a sandwich down in front of his nose/mouth and he ate it.  Within 10 or 15 minutes he seemed okay.  Dad started feeding him prior to talking him hunting and he stopped having the seizures.   I had him do that to me one day.  I fed him a sandwich, he got up, he left.  We were about 6 miles from home and he just left me in the woods.  I hunted home and he was in the yard.  Grandma said he showed up, barking at the gate and she let him in.  She was getting worried about me by then, the dog had been home so long.

In the last few years we've had our dogs have seizures.  The border collie and a mixed breed dog.  Both would be unable to walk, would growl at the other dogs in the pen, wouldn't eat or drink.  I picked the mixed breed dog up and put him up on the porch out of the sun and he crawled off the porch back down to the grass to lay.  After a few hours they'd be back to normal.  I think the border collie did that two or three times probably midway through her life (lived to be about 12 years old, well, 12 years that we had her, she was a stray so I have no idea how old she really was).  The mixed breed dog also did it two or three times within his first 4 or 5 years.  He lived to be 14 (we got him when he was barely weaned).

No idea why they had the seizures.  With some dogs it seems to happen, sometimes.  If your dog keeps having them, I'd take him to the vet for a check up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was a kid we had a GSD that had seizures

I remember the first time it happened I though he got shocked or something. It was scary for a little kid

His seizures got worse and more often over the next few months

When he came out of them he was confused and he was aggressive. Eventually we had to have him put down

RIP Rex
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Hope your pup does good OP.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When I was a kid we had a GSD that had seizures

I remember the first time it happened I though he got shocked or something. It was scary for a little kid

His seizures got worse and more often over the next few months

When he came out of them he was confused and he was aggressive. Eventually we had to have him put down

RIP Rex
View Quote

His very first seizure he was aggressive.  After that one he is just panicked and appreciates company.  I was worried his temperament would change after the last cluster but thankfully it hasn't.  He really is the most loving dog and all our guests have marvel at how well behaved and good natured he is.  

I've stayed up with him all night. Sad really, he still can't figure out how to walk up and down the stairs and he has his first accident in the house since he was a puppy.  

It rough because I think he knows he's not right.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
onset seizures in GSD begin around the age of 2 normally.
etiology unknown- Idiopathic Seizures
research at our laboratory indicates that certain preservatives used in some dog foods initiate the activity. we counsel  our clients (Veterinarians) to have the owners begin either home cooking food for the dogs which is cheap and easy or utilizing clean foods with only vitamin based preservatives. we have kept up data from our clients all over the US and many issues are the same.

many times a clean food will work great for years and then go dirty by the original company being bought out and the food recipe being changed as a cost cutting maneuver.

the key to a healthy dog is to feed very high quality, preservative free foods.
personally, we have had outstanding results with Chicken and Rice Premium Edge supplemented with cubes of raw chicken and scrambled eggs 2x a week. I have been feeding this routine to GSD and Labradors for 18 years and my competition dogs are run and hunted hard with very rare Vet visits.

Phenobarbital helps in some cases but changes in foods have allowed alot of dogs to be taken off the script.

most commercial food is pure crap and unfit for canine health.

feel free to IM me.
View Quote

I'd like to see the published report of this "research".  If it works that well certainly it's been published in a peer reviewed journal.  I mean as a vet if it really does work as you claim I'd like to start doing it.   Until them I'm calling bullshit.  Not trying to be an ass but this raises all kinds of BS flags.  As the old saying goes- extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Hit us up with the article there are other vets on here that it could be of use for.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Serious thread.

He was started on Zonisamide and went three months without a seizure.  Then on Tuesday he had two, Wednesday he had a total of 15, most of which were at the vets and after IV Ativan.  They had to give IV Phenobarbital and Propofol and kept him over night.

He's got some Todd's Paresis effecting his back legs and his field of vision is altered.  

View Quote

OP.  Sounds like it was pretty bad if they broke out the propofol.  Luckily there are several more drugs that your dog can be started on to help control the seizures.  I assume they did full bloodwork since you said he was negative for everything.  What part of the country are you in?  There are some weird regional diseases in certain areas, I'd assume your local vet would know about these.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is good info. Nexgard / Heartgard as a combo is the way to go for sure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My mal had some bad seizures about a month ago. But that was because he got into some RDX during training (not fun to deal with at all).

Hope ya pup gets better.
View Quote

That's why they discourage people from burning C-4 to heat food/water.  Some of the RDX volatilizes and can be inhaled, possibly causing seizures.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a dog that seemed to love Bing Crosby music.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Serious thread.

View Quote

The Zonisamide is interesting.  I use it rarely in humans and it's expensive.  Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#30]
People who feed their GSD commercial dog food are just begging for them to have a shorter life. My GSD is on a raw diet. Raw meat bones and all. He is a different dog compared to when he was on commercial dog food.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
People who feed their GSD commercial dog food are just begging for them to have a shorter life. My GSD is on a raw diet. Raw meat bones and all. He is a different dog compared to when he was on commercial dog food.
View Quote

I play with that idea, and read a lot about it, but have no idea how to start.  And as well, to make sure they get all nutrients needed.  Tried the frozen raw Instinct, but too expensive for 2 GSDs and my female puked it up at 1st meal.  I feed Fromm hoping for the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top