Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
TAG
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
A night time bump...
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Friendsville Precision Dry Fire Device is a cool idea. I didn't know anything like that existed.

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Friendsville Precision Dry Fire Device is a cool idea. I didn't know anything like that existed.

ESBPx6FjGz8
View Quote

Another company makes a similar product but cost about 2-3 times as much iirc…

LRRP let me in on that secret.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quit reading after the 87th "are you sure it's clear" reference.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quit reading after the 87th "are you sure it's clear" reference.
View Quote

Ok. That's fine. This is geared towards brand new shooters. If that's not you, cool. Hope you never ND...

I haven't.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump because Billy is putting out info lots of you need to learn.

Just as important to building a solid shooting position is the “Follow Through”. If you have done everything else correct then the follow through is just a natural conclusion to the trigger pull. This is the act of staying relaxed through out the recoil of the rifle and your body absorbing it. You do not release the trigger until your sights have settled back on your target. You will know a perfect shooting position if your follow through lands your sights directly back to the sight picture you had just prior to the trigger pull.

A method to practice your Follow Through is that after your sights have landed back on target, maintain that sight picture for a full breath and just as slowly as you pulled the trigger, before you release the trigger to the reset point in reverse fashion listening and feeling for the trigger to reset. As soon as you feel the trigger reset you stop. You do not slack your trigger finger anymore then it took to reset the trigger. You make resetting the trigger just as deliberate as the initial trigger pull.
View Quote

Billy I edited the excerpt above to reflect how I explain it to students.  I don't teach to pull or press the trigger slowly as that encourages milking the trigger and ends up creating a "HERE IT COMES!!!" anticipation of the break that ends up encouraging an anticipatory flinch.  Instead I teach that once the sight lands on target at the end of the exhalation they press the trigger cleanly through as quickly as they can do so smoothly (I'll demo this a few times with an empty rifle so they can watch my trigger finger).  Folks trying to s-l-o-w-l-y creep through a trigger pull end up building a horrible habit.

I teach them to keep the trigger held to the rear for a full breath simply to build the habit of not doing anything until long after the bullet has left the barrel and explain that with practice they can speed that up (and demo it both ways).
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bump because Billy is putting out info lots of you need to learn.

Billy I edited the excerpt above to reflect how I explain it to students.  I don't teach to pull or press the trigger slowly as that encourages milking the trigger and ends up creating a "HERE IT COMES!!!" anticipation of the break that ends up encouraging an anticipatory flinch.  Instead I teach that once the sight lands on target at the end of the exhalation they press the trigger cleanly through as quickly as they can do so smoothly (I'll demo this a few times with an empty rifle so they can watch my trigger finger).  Folks trying to s-l-o-w-l-y creep through a trigger pull end up building a horrible habit.

I teach them to keep the trigger held to the rear for a full breath simply to build the habit of not doing anything until long after the bullet has left the barrel and explain that with practice they can speed that up (and demo it both ways).
View Quote

Thinking about it, that's how I do it when focusing on my follow through.

I may very well take your words on the trigger pull

ETA: I updated that section. Oddly, in the Intro article I never gave a speed at which to pull the trigger, just that it should be repeatable and straight back. Thanks for the catch. I appreciate any and all feed back
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I appreciate any and all feed back
View Quote

Happy to be of help where I can.  Keep up the good work!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top