Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I suspect very few of the really valuable guns will actually end up being destroyed.
View Quote

They'll go back to the evidence room until the next gun buy back display is needed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Bummer. One of them looked like a Springfield range officer
I just don't get these. Cows follow the herd and sheeple
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Absolutely nothing about California surprises me anymore.
View Quote

As if gun buy backs are unique to California.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Misguided nitwits.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Every single time that chicago has a buy back they always have a norinco ak on display for the press. Looks like comie-fornia has learned a thing or two.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to find some if these buybacks here in VA and score some good deals.  I could have had a 1911 and a new 870 for 220 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Every single time that chicago has a buy back they always have a norinco ak on display for the press. Looks like comie-fornia has learned a thing or two.
View Quote
Kind of makes you wonder if it's the same one every year. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really want to start a gofund me or similar to fund a gun buy back, use liberals cash to buy guns, then sell them legally/ return verified stolen ones with the assistance of an FFL. Maybe use the proceeds to donate the the NRA legal fund.

If anyone wants to run with that idea, all I want in return is any early 1911s that show up.
View Quote

That's a really good idea.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pellet gun? or Airsoft

They are too stupid to tell a difference.
View Quote

AP-74 .22LR or .32ACP 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They'll go back to the evidence room until the next gun buy back display is needed.
View Quote

+infinity
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#11]
What I never understood about these is why don't the police departments auction off the guns that aren't stolen? As a taxpayer, how is it ok for me to not only be paying a cop to stand there at this buy back not out on the road and pay $100 for every gun turned in with no hope of any money? You can't tell me that there wouldn't be significant turn out for an event like that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really want to start a gofund me or similar to fund a gun buy back, use liberals cash to buy guns, then sell them legally/ return verified stolen ones with the assistance of an FFL. Maybe use the proceeds to donate the the NRA legal fund.

If anyone wants to run with that idea, all I want in return is any early 1911s that show up.
View Quote

A privately sponsored buyback would be a great idea.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
How many of these firearms are stolen?

Do they even check?

If no, then it doesn't surprise me in the least.  It's an easy way for criminals to convert their stolen items into cash.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think its a prop gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like one of those Armi Jager .22s

I think its a prop gun.

Gosh people it's a freaking .22
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
He's holding that AR like it's a turd!
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The news said they run the serial numbers and if any are stolen they work to return them to the rightfull owners. If that is true it might be a win based on the cost paid to recover it for the owner.

I'd like to see the follow up story.
View Quote

People often don't have serial numbers when they report their firearms stolen.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, don't even try to defend CA..... just don't.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I always wonder how many are stolen..........
View Quote

I always wonder how many come out of the evidence locker for a photo op. A brand new CMMG? Yeah I'm sure somebody bought that then turned it over for $100 gift card. Also the always present Tech 9s, Macs and AKs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wait outside of one of those damn things and offer to buy for 101 dollars, you'd get lots of takers
View Quote

just make sure that you're on public property when you do so.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's kind of where I'm at with it. 

Also: I'm a BIG fan of these in states that permit FTF transfers, cash money. I'll definitely do you better than a Target gift card, friend. 
View Quote

the best deals are always in parking lots.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Kind of makes you wonder if it's the same one every year. 
View Quote

I believe LAPD got on Ronnie Barrett's shit-list by parading a PD-owned Barrett .50 at a press conference as a confiscated firearm.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What I never understood about these is why don't the police departments auction off the guns that aren't stolen? As a taxpayer, how is it ok for me to not only be paying a cop to stand there at this buy back not out on the road and pay $100 for every gun turned in with no hope of any money? You can't tell me that there wouldn't be significant turn out for an event like that.
View Quote

because then they wouldn't be able to take them home and keep them for themselves
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Not turned in by the original owner for sure.

The 84S hurts.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

do the cops check serial #s on those turn-in guns against the list of stolen guns?
I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The buyback funds are usually donated. So your tax dollars are only paying wages. if they recover a few stolen guns and return the to the owners I'm not concerned with the wages.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How many of these firearms are stolen?

Do they even check?

If no, then it doesn't surprise me in the least.  It's an easy way for criminals to convert their stolen items into cash.
View Quote

Less than you would suspect.

Yes.

Most are simply people that decided they no longer want that firearm or people that inherited and never wanted it. I expect that due to al the new gun laws to pass the last couple years they got a greater number of "assault weapons" the usual from people that don't want to register them by 2018.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Not for phones, laptops or bicycles either. Hell they usually don't even know the model number. "Glock Forty" 23? 22? 22L? 23C? 27?

So it goes in the report as; Glock, Unknown model, .40SW, Unknown serial number $400
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Are they paying full price for home made zip guns?  Because with about $50 worth of shit from home depot I could afford something really nice.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Do they do a car buyback ??
Cars kill WAY more people than guns do.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

AP-74 .22LR or .32ACP 
View Quote

Yup. Here's mine.

These things pop up a lot at CA gun buybacks. I suspect they're leftovers from Hollywood prop houses - they were used in a lot of movies back in the late-70s and early-80s as stand-ins for M16s.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do they do a car buyback ??
Cars kill WAY more people than guns do.
View Quote

The feds did.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wonder how many thugs and criminals turned in their gunz?
View Quote

Why ALL of them of course. Because ANYONE who'd want to own a gun is a thug. Peaceful society ain't got no time fo gunz.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What type of M16 is that in the 2nd pic? Lower looks weird.
View Quote

Airsoft
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's a really good idea.
View Quote

I might be able to improve on it.

You know how Locks for Love works?  No, I mean how it ACTUALLY works.

People think they're donating their hair to make wigs for cancer kids.  But how it ACTUALLY works is they take the hair, use the best of it to make wigs for rich old people, sell those, and then use the money to help the cancer kids.  It's a more roundabout manner of doing things, and of course it makes them more money to do it that way.  This offsets operating costs and so on.  It's a nonprofit, but the people who run it still get a healthy salary.

Most importantly, the actual cost of obtaining the hair is distributed to pre-existing businesses.  You can go to pretty much any barber/salon to get it done.

So what we do is, we make Locks for Love but for guns.  Go to any participating FFL (this gets around the stupid private transfer ban in some states), and give them your gun.  In return, you get a certificate or coin or some other mostly worthless trinket that makes you feel good about doing your part to stop gun violence.  Marketing people can run with this.  That sort of thing isn't my bag, baby.

Then, we give people the impression that the guns will be turned into something - for example, non-functional, educational cut-aways, used for police training, active shooter training, community gun safety classes, or whatever.  But what we ACTUALLY do is to sell the guns (the FFLs would have to swap guns around a bit so the same people don't go back to the store and see the same gun they turned in for sale), and then use the money to do those things, including paying for on-staff instructors and such.

So, we get a program that's self-funded, provides useful community services like gun safety classes and police training opportunities, that keeps useful guns from being melted down by ban states, and oh yeah, we get to keep a few of the best guns for ourselves.  Along with a salary for our trouble, of course.

Everyone wins.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#36]
#calexit
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd guess quite a few turn in stolen guns.  I'm betting amnesty/anonymity is part of the program.  

Got a hot gun that you don't want to get caught with?  Turn it in for free cash or a gift card that you can then sell for cash and no worries that some other thug gets caught with it and rats you out.

Got a drug habit and you need some cash to score a hit? I can sell the Target card to anyone on my street.  Not everyone will buy a stolen gun from me.

Who cares if it's worth $700 and I'm only getting a $100 gift card?  It cost me nothing to get it and I can get high several times off that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I call bullshit.  No way anyone is going to turn some of those in for the measly amount they offer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I call bullshit.  No way anyone is going to turn some of those in for the measly amount they offer.
View Quote

Imagine you have no interest in guns. No idea how to lawfully sell one to a FFL or private party. You live in a state where even if you wanted target shoot you were looking at a half hour drive to a dark stuffy noisey indoor range the charges close to $20 an hour, requires a stack of paperwork and maybe even you have to buy their overpriced ammo. In your state its about to become a crime to possess a magazine holding over ten rounds. that silly fixed magazine "AR15" that your dad bought but never shot...well you never registered it not even as a rifle to yourself, as required by law when your dad died. Now its going to become a felony to possess it unless you register it as an "assault weapon" shortly. But you are worried about what the DOJ will say when you try to register an AW thats already registered to your father as a rifle and you never submitted transfer paperwork.  So you say fuck it. Give it to the cops for a $100 gift card, go to target and buy four cases of beer and a a bottle of Jack to enjoy during Monday Night Football.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#40]
87% of those weapons came from evidence lockers to promote the "success" of the gun buy back.

ETA- Already mentioned above because people already know the game.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Imagine you are a meth head with a stolen firearm.

You don't know whether or not the serial number has been reported to police, who in turn pass the information on to every pawn shop and gun dealer in the area.

You have a chance to ditch the weapon for a little cash with NO QUESTIONS ASKED and NO RISK OF GETTING BUSTED for it.

That's how it works.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Not even close to what I was doing with that post.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I should go to one with a chunk of PVC taped to a broom and see what I can get for it.

Troll the antis.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Totally fucked.  Most are stolen, and no effort will be made to return these to their owners.
View Quote
Perfect place where we could get a federal law to require them to record all serial numbers and do a search for stolen weapons with the requirement that they be returned to their rightful owners. Require that all the Make, Model, and Serial # of everything turned in be released for verification.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Gosh people it's a freaking .22
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I got a couple broke ass pieces of shit not worth fixing around here. Wish they had a buy back to unload them!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it was Chicago that showed an airsoft m-60 one year and said it was the real thing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got a couple broke ass pieces of shit not worth fixing around here. Wish they had a buy back to unload them!
View Quote

Part them out on gunbroker.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What type of M16 is that in the 2nd pic? Lower looks weird.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that is a BB gun.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's what I thought that was as well.  Sucks that it will be destroyed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope the idiot who turned in the Norinco .223 finds out what it is worth, and feels bad about it for the rest of their life.

That's what I thought that was as well.  Sucks that it will be destroyed.

That Norico was only worth what he traded for it, probably because it was stolen.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top