Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you and I went directly to Amazon and found the sale without having to be monetized and picked up some for Christmas gifts for family and friends.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember guys saying that on the carbon (not stainless) versions you have to keep them oiled with vegetable oil or something to keep them from rusting. What works best for that?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks OP ! Ordered the stainless one to give away.

For the person who asked how the lighter duty one was..... I love mine and have used it extensively to butcher hogs, chickens, and ducks. It is stupid sharp right out of the box and holds an edge for a long time. You can hit quite a few bones before you need a few strokes with a honing rod.  With it being carbon steel the blood nicely etches/patinas the blade within a few butchering events.

Also if you leave it wet or bloody in the sheath , it can slightly rust which is no big deal, just oil it back up.

Hands down it is probably the best knife for the money.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordered 3 in orange
View Quote

I couldn't decide on which I wanted.  Then the daughter walked by and said blue!  I was already eyeing the black and neon green, then decided one of each would be okay

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up several of the standard ones in red for stocking stuffers and an orange heavy duty one for the truck.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, shit.  Ordered two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arfcom, always costing me money.

Yeah, shit.  Ordered two.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the deal alert. I've never tried a Mora knife, been wanting to for a while. I just ordered the heavy duty one for myself and two for my boys for Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why is this Arfcoms favorite knife?
View Quote

Know how I know you don't own a Morakniv?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can anyone comment on the regular vs heavy duty companion?
View Quote

Get the heavy duty if you're looking to do any bushcraft.  Otherwise, the regular blade is fine.  I have both.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks . Picked one up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks OP
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$10, good reviews, and not Chicom. 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for spending my money, again, arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought 3 :(
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks, picked up two bright orange. Hopefully I won't lose these.
View Quote

I just bought one orange one.  I was eyeballing these a few days ago, lucky I'm lazy. 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I remember guys saying that on the carbon (not stainless) versions you have to keep them oiled with vegetable oil or something to keep them from rusting. What works best for that?
View Quote
Mustard.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]
OOO. They have the hook knives for cheap, too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's cheap. It's made of good steel that takes a very sharp edge. Handles are ergonomic and grippy.  Plenty tough for any reasonable knife task.  Did I mention they're cheap?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are just fantastic knives at a who gives a shit price.  
I like esse and moras for field knives and use them on the ranch, camping, kitchen and keep them in every vehicle and most bags.
For work You can throw one in an active shooter bag and forget about it without taking a big financial hit. I also keep one on my seat organizer in case I need another option if someone climbs in with me through a window.

I haven't "tried" to kill one, but have used them as I would any heavy duty knife and have not broken one yet. It's a great size for many chores, not too big or too small.  I've batoned, dug and got bored with the kids many times seeing who could throw them into a tree the most.
If you lose it or can break it,  you are not out a big chunk of change.

I prefer the the carbon models. To treat the blade so it doesn't rust, I stick it in a mason jar and fill it so the blade is covered with vinegar. Then I boil that amount in a little sauce pan.
When it is boiling, I put it back in the mason jar and let it sit for a half hour or so. This gives the blade a nice patina that keeps the rust away without having to worry about oiling it.
When finished, I put a lid on it and under the sink it goes until I buy my next batch.

Thanks OP, picked up a few more.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn, none in Coyote Brown???

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

For knives I'm planning to use on food, I apply a thin coat of food grade mineral oil (same stuff people use on wooden cutting boards to keep wood from drying out).

For axes/machetes I use Ballistol.

Honestly, unless you are storing the knives in a damp environment like the bed of a truck, just wipe them down with a silicon cloth.

More importantly, don't soak them i the sink or put in dishwasher.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Just ordered 13...
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn. Even the premium knives are on sale! Garbergs and Bushcraft series for half off? Yes please.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#25]
How to add patina to a Mora Companion Knife

You can fast forward through some of the yapping, kind of long vid.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are some really good deals on ESEE on Amazon right now too.
View Quote

Got a link to these really good deals. I can't find them?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Damn. Even the premium knives are on sale! Garbergs and Bushcraft series for half off? Yes please.
View Quote

I've wanted an Eldris since I saw them come out, $25 aint bad I guess.  Got that and four of the orange ones for stocking stuffers/trunk knives, and smile.amazon will throw a few cents to Team Ranstad.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#28]
cool stocking stuffers!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks, picked up 3.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Ooh, tiger striped. Tacticool.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#31]
very knice
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
N2VZW5Nt_A8</iframe>

You can fast forward through some of the yapping, kind of long vid.
View Quote

Man, you ain't kiddin', that's a shit vid but had a lot of good info!!!  I'm wondering if you have to go through all those steps, though.  What if you just left the blade in the vinegar for a half hour?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Man, you ain't kiddin', that's a shit vid but had a lot of good info!!!  I'm wondering if you have to go through all those steps, though.  What if you just left the blade in the vinegar for a half hour?
View Quote

I didn't have time to look for best vid to post.  
I use cheap white vinegar.  bring to boil, leave it in for a bout a half hour, I have left them longer, but get same result. Rinse, dry, look at it, store it.

Here is a well used one that I posted in a field knife thread.  Still holding up, never been oiled.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I use cheap white vinegar.  bring to boil, leave it in for a bout a half hour, I have left them longer, but get same result. Rinse, dry, look at it, store it.
View Quote

LOL looks like I'll be doing just that when mine come in.  I got two of the OD blades and the patina will go perfect.

Thanks for posting all the info!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LOL looks like I'll be doing just that when mine come in.  I got two of the OD blades and the patina will go perfect.

View Quote

Anytime.  I posted a pic above in an edit same time you were posting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Here is a well used one that I posted in a field knife thread.  Still holding up, never been oiled.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/stitch2rbn/FullSizeRender_zpst238ddt9.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/stitch2rbn/FullSizeRender_zpst238ddt9.jpg

Goddammit! I had to go back and buy another knife. This time a carbon steel version just so I can try that.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think you have to go thru those steps. I put patina on a Spyderco Gayle Bradley with M4 steel with vinegar and it came out just fine. The one thing I would try though is heating up the vinegar. It looks like it speeds up the process a lot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does look good when new.
This one is maybe a yr or so old.  I threw it on that black grab and go active shooter bag and it's been in the trunk ever since.
It's currently the cleanest one I have, I think.
Looks good.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Well I ordered 3 for gifts
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I ordered 2 orange ones to try out and hopefully the orange will be harder to lose.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Arfcom is the most expensive $24 I have ever spent in my life!

I picked up 2 of the companions and 1 of their fillet knives.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I butchered 3 deer with one of these this year and they are outstanding. I was able to put an edge on it you could shave with.

Ordered 3.

Thanks for the tip.
View Quote

This is exactly what I plan to use mine for, thanks for the info!

@Bostekrico , Just out of curiosity, what are you using to shapren the Mora knives?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Bought an orange one, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

It'd work just fine.  I use flat coca cola more often than not, works a bit slower than vinegar and tends to be a bit more grey than black. There's a thousand ways to skin that cat.  The blade will still rust without oil, but slower.  You can also strip the blade back to shiny again with fine steel wool.

I'll say that if you're going to obsess over stains or a little oxidation here or there, carbon steel might not be for you.  

ETA- I see a lot of green and black ones and I don't get it.  Why do you want a knife that blends in?  I bought a camouflage pocket knife when I was a boy scout and promptly lost it the next trip out.  Same for a camo mini mag.  It was then that I understood the red handles on swiss army knives.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought four, thanks for posting OP.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I plan to use mine for, thanks for the info!

@Bostekrico , Just out of curiosity, what are you using to shapren the Mora knives?
View Quote

Both sides of a combination sharpening stone, medium and fine,lubed with a little canola oil, then a few swipes on the steel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks OP.  It does look like these are a great deal, e.g., 

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Both sides of a combination sharpening stone, medium and fine,lubed with a little canola oil, then a few swipes on the steel.
View Quote

Thanks! I'll have to look in to picking up some sharpening equipment. Right now I'm just using my wife's sharpener which is one of those V style ones with stones on both sides and you just drag the blade through.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Excellent prices there.  I've bought more than a few the last year and you can't beat them for the price.  Skinned a deer last week with my orange one and it went fine.  Dulled a little on hair but sharpened right up
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It'd work just fine.  I use flat coca cola more often than not, works a bit slower than vinegar and tends to be a bit more grey than black. There's a thousand ways to skin that cat.  The blade will still rust without oil, but slower.  You can also strip the blade back to shiny again with fine steel wool.

I'll say that if you're going to obsess over stains or a little oxidation here or there, carbon steel might not be for you.  

ETA- I see a lot of green and black ones and I don't get it.  Why do you want a knife that blends in?  I bought a camouflage pocket knife when I was a boy scout and promptly lost it the next trip out.  Same for a camo mini mag.  It was then that I understood the red handles on swiss army knives.  
View Quote

This. The one I butchered the deer with this year has the OD and black handle. It was lost in the yard for two days and we were lucky to find it.

That's why the 3 I just ordered are all orange.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top