Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2016 8:49:25 PM EDT
A Virginia school has temporarily banned two American classics after a parent said her high school-age son was negatively impacted by the racial slurs they contain.

The decision to remove "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee came after a parent filed a complaint, WAVY reported. The parent cited excessive racial slurs as the reason for wanting the books banned, Superintendent Warren Holland told the news station.

The parent, whose son is biracial, said that her concerns are "not even just a black and white thing."

"I keep hearing, 'This is a classic, This is a classic,' ... I understand this is a literature classic. But at some point, I feel that children will not -- or do not -- truly get the classic part -- the literature part, which I'm not disputing," she said at a Nov. 15 school board meeting. "This is great literature. But there (are so many) racial slurs in there and offensive wording that you can't get past that."

The parent said her son, who was reading "Huckleberry Finn" for a high school assignment, couldn't get past a certain page in that story on which the N-word appeared seven times.

A racial slur appears 219 times in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and 48 times in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

"So what are we teaching our children? We're validating that these words are acceptable, and they are not acceptable by (any) means," the parent said, also noting psychological effects language has on children. "There is other literature they can use."

The parent proposed a committee made up of parents and teachers of different cultural backgrounds come up with a list of books that are inclusive for all students. She also offered to donate books and raise funds in the case of budgetary concerns.

The complaint, which was "a request for reconsideration of learning resources," will go before a committee made up of a principal, librarian, teacher, parent and potentially others, according to WCMH. The committee will then make a recommendation to the superintendent.

Holland said that there is no set date for when the recommendation will be made.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Where?  Inner city or rural?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Imagine if there were people at the school who could explain the significance of the setting and the language.

There should be a word for those people.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Burn those books...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't judge your ancestors with 21st century morality.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Imagine if there were people at the school who could explain the significance of the setting and the language.

There should be a word for those people.
View Quote

School Administrators?  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
holy cow! where was this? what a bunch of crybabies!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Atticus Finch defends a black man. The book is anything but racist.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
And what words do his favorite rappers use?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

how many times is the N word mentioned?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know. I don't remember that as being a big deal when reading it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
That makes sense.  Let's ban books for racism that include, as an element, the evils of racism.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A Virginia school has temporarily banned two American classics after a parent said her high school-age son was negatively impacted by the racial slurs they contain.

The decision to remove "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee came after a parent filed a complaint, WAVY reported. The parent cited excessive racial slurs as the reason for wanting the books banned, Superintendent Warren Holland told the news station.

The parent, whose son is biracial, said that her concerns are "not even just a black and white thing."

"I keep hearing, 'This is a classic, This is a classic,' ... I understand this is a literature classic. But at some point, I feel that children will not -- or do not -- truly get the classic part -- the literature part, which I'm not disputing," she said at a Nov. 15 school board meeting. "This is great literature. But there (are so many) racial slurs in there and offensive wording that you can't get past that."

The parent said her son, who was reading "Huckleberry Finn" for a high school assignment, couldn't get past a certain page in that story on which the N-word appeared seven times.

A racial slur appears 219 times in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and 48 times in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

"So what are we teaching our children? We're validating that these words are acceptable, and they are not acceptable by (any) means," the parent said, also noting psychological effects language has on children. "There is other literature they can use."

The parent proposed a committee made up of parents and teachers of different cultural backgrounds come up with a list of books that are inclusive for all students. She also offered to donate books and raise funds in the case of budgetary concerns.

The complaint, which was "a request for reconsideration of learning resources," will go before a committee made up of a principal, librarian, teacher, parent and potentially others, according to WCMH. The committee will then make a recommendation to the superintendent.

Holland said that there is no set date for when the recommendation will be made.
View Quote
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gotta be at the beach, WAVY had the story.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

So does she take the same view with movies she lets her kids watch?  How many F-bombs in the movie your kid watched the other day?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll bring the matches, you bring the gas.  Let's get this book burning started!  After all, we are now under Trump's Nazi rule right?  I'm sure that's next on their list of fears...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
NAZI's ban books.
 And Commies.
 and  Fundamentalist ZEALOTS.
 We'll not have that here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was in Accomack County.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Public education...yay

Homeschooling FTW
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that it occurs in a part where Atticus (the father) teaches his daughter that it's a word people shouldn't use.  Or maybe that's just the movie version.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was my first thought; that Atticus defended Tom Robinson because he was innocent.

But think about this for a moment-Tom died in police/prison custody later after he was convicted.  If anything that should support the SJW cause.
Fuckers never read the book!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Precious little cupcakes. They should create a safe space in the school and allow the cupcakes to meditate there without the horrific fear of literature . 
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit. I don't see what the BFD is with 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Seems that it would be a good example for race relations.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Will they be banning rap music as well?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I got in trouble in high school because of Mockingbird.

I was talking to my classmate in the hallway about the dinner scene when Scout says "pass the damn ham."  A teacher heard me say this and the guy wrote me up for using bad language.  I tried to explain that we were talking about the book. He didn't believe me.

He was an English teacher.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I find it richly ironic that we're discussing this as a sad commentary on political correctness on a site where we can't use any racial epithets in a descriptive manner, let alone in a story-telling context.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh, fuck you.

Like someone else mentioned, I hope this snowflake is shielding her biracial kid from every rap song ever. Somehow I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Like he doesn't hear his buddies at school call each other that 10+ times a day.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I bet she has no issues with rap music though......
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Like he doesn't hear his buddies at school call each other that 10+ times a day.
View Quote

.... or in the gangsta rap they listen to...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Liberals' war on literature.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So does she take the same view with movies she lets her kids watch?  How many F-bombs in the movie your kid watched the other day?
View Quote

I'd bet half the ''CD's" her son owns has more "N" words in it then the entire Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn books have.

If she could actually read, she could have found out that ''N" Jim'' was quite the worthy man and held in much more respect by the protagonists then most of the white characters. In fact, much of the Huck Finn book is about getting him back from the trash who happens to be white that were trying to force him back into slavery.

To Kill A Mockingbird..............well, to whine about that book shows that she is dumber then a loose turd from a three toed sloth.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#35]

fuck that guy!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, it's pure misogyny:  Atticus Finch refuses to believe a woman who claims she was raped and causes her emotional trauma by defending her rapist in court.

The book is a giant literary cudgel used by the White Cis-Patrarchy to beat women into submission.  It should have been banned years ago.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Y'know... some people need to be gently taken by the hand, led outside......

and shot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you read "Go Set a Watchman"   Lee wrote it before TKaM....and it lends an interesting perspective to the story.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#39]
They've been banning Huck for decades.  They've probably does the same for Mockingbird but not nearly as long.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Heck I don't understand this Wussified education system these days. In high school we had to purchase a copy of a book called "The Painted Bird" and I even cringed reading it but was glued to it like watching a train wreck. We read it in AP European History and was written in the mid 60's about a young Jewish boy in WWII that his parents told him to leave and hide. He grew up as a young homeless drifter and the story is about what he dealt with. It has rape, violence, masochism, beastiality, etc ect.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#41]
The books are clearly doubleplusungood.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Huck Finn is always at the top of the banned book list; this isn't anything new.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Atticus Finch was named the Number 1 film hero in AFI's Top 100 Film Heroes list.  There is a reason for that.  And EVERY decent courtroom lawyer gets teary-eyed at the mere mention of his name.

Fuck Terry McAuliffe and all government schools.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Atticus Finch was named the Number 1 film hero in AFI's Top 100 Film Heroes list.  There is a reason for that.  And EVERY decent courtroom lawyer gets teary-eyed at the mere mention of his name.

Fuck Terry McAuliffe and all government schools.
View Quote

https://youtu.be/q7CX_5D6y6E
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep, good idea. Let's ban two of the most important books in American literature that promote the idea that man's worth does not depend on the color of his skin. Brilliant.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know that it occurs in a part where Atticus (the father) teaches his daughter that it's a word people shouldn't use.  Or maybe that's just the movie version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't remember. All I remember from those books was something about treating people based on who they are rather than their race. I guess I didn't understand them, I was apparently supposed to learn how to use epithets. I'm just a little dull I guess.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#47]
And education majors wonder why STEM folks think they are a joke. Even if individuals are good the profession is rotten with revisionism and anti-logic. Modern education in America actively punishes critical thinking.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Precious little cupcakes. They should create a safe space in the school and allow the cupcakes to meditate there without the horrific fear of literature . 
View Quote

Because censorship is so much gooder.....
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top