Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2016 6:33:08 PM EDT
I have a pair of Gore-Tex lined Irish Setters w/800 gram Thinsulate Ultra insulation that are very comfortable and lightweight, but the "waterproof" did not last long. Walking through wet grass and leaves leaves my feet wet. I've never had a pair of Gore-Tex lines boots that remained waterproof for long.
Are there any quality either all leather or leather lower w/synthetic upper boots that are waterproof after a season of use? Used mostly from 50F down to 15F. Preferably lighter in weight for hiking and sitting outdoors (November in Maine) for a few hours. Warm, lightweight, waterproof and breathable? Is there such a boot?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried for years to find such a thing.  I finally bought unlined Red Wings and calibrated by sock choice by temperature, and bought some Gore Tex booties that Cabela's used to sell.  Problem solved, problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure water isn't getting in through the tops of the boots?  Get a pair of gaiters and that won't happen.

My Danner combat hikers are absolutely waterproof.  I have had them through thick rain soaked vegetation without any infiltration.  I was using gaiters at the time as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you sure water isn't getting in through the tops of the boots?  Get a pair of gaiters and that won't happen.

My Danner combat hikers are absolutely waterproof.  I have had them through thick rain soaked vegetation without any infiltration.  I was using gaiters at the time as well.
View Quote

Short grass. Moisture ingress through the lowers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My Gortex Salmons are still waterproof and the outer part has holes in it! I have some Merrel's too and while not Goretex, it is still good. My biggest issue is if I don't wear Goretex gaiters then water gets in and then it doesn't come out. I probably have to buy new ones every year, and I wear then as dailies too. If I was outside regularly though, I'd have to probably get new ones every 6-8 months or so I'd imagine.

I'm not sure about leather boots though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, there definitely is but you have to treat and maintain them with some form of oil or synthetic product (like Nikwax).

I have an older pair of La Sportivas that are all leather, without goretex.  They work great and will dry faster than a lined hiking boot, but they do require more care.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
If you treat the leather with something like Obenauf's it will help your feet stay dryer longer but eventually it will soak through.  

If you want waterproof; you don't want leather.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That doesn't sound like any Gortex boot I ever owned.

My Danner Recons are about ten years old and still waterproof and
my Cabela hunting boots are about fifteen years old and still waterproof.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd break in my danners by putting a few pounds of bullets in them and putting them in the sink with water to the top of the tongue and letting the leather soak. They have all stayed water proof for longer then the soles lasted.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I love Rocky Outbacks. I've never had a problem with them losing their waterproofness. (Is that a word?)
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The closest thing I ever had was my offshore workboots (Dr. Martens Wellington steel toe... amazing boot for the price)

The ONLY reason they were waterproof was weeks of having silicone o-ring grease, anchor grease and every other nasty thing wiped on them.  After that they looked normal but were functionally watertight.

Of course before that point although treated they would soak through in a few hours. At last they dried out fast.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]
keep them greased with Obenaufs or Montana pitch-Blend.  Several times a season if you're out a lot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a pair of Asolo Powermatic boots going strong on 2+ years now.  Waterproof up to 8" or do.  I took a 5 day trip with 40(!) river crossings in October.  I was the only one with dry feet the whole trip.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never had a pair of Danners get my feet wet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 20 year old pair of leather Scarpa Fuegos, and if I do my part and keep them waxed with SnoSeal, they are rather waterproof.  However, a couple of days of post-holing through ice-crusted snow will wear off the wax; so, retreatement in the field is a necessity.

These, however, are neither lightweight, nor hiking boots.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
keep them greased with Obenaufs or Montana pitch-Blend.  Several times a season if you're out a lot.
View Quote

I use 3-4 coats of Obenaufs LP and then hose 'em down with 2-3 coats of their silicone spray. Add another coat  occasionally and feet stay dry. I gave up on gore-tex long ago.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I grew up using old-school full-grain leather hiking/mountaineering boots with Norwegian welts and Vibram Montagna lug soles.  In my experience, you can make a good leather boot pretty damned water resistant, if not waterproof, with the right boot grease.  Over the years, I've used Hubbards, Sno-Seal, Biwell, etc. etc.  Now I use Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative or Limmer Boot Grease.  

Right now I'm trying to wear out a pair of Norwegian M77 Combat Boots (a single layer of full-grain leather with a direct injected sole and sealed seams).  I haven't had any problem with them leaking.

OP, here's a recent related thread that might be useful: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/687279_What_s_your_take_experience_of_waterproof_boots_.html
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had great luck with Redhead Treestand II boots

I've had them for four years and they're still waterproof and have held up well.  I wear them in the winter as workboots.  They go on sale for about $120 several times a year.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Leather is really not the best material for protection against extreme cold in winter.

Below around 18 degrees F, leather actually starts to conduct cold.

This is why the military developed vapor barrier boots ("bunny boots") to issue to troops in arctic environments.

They learned that lesson the hard way in the Korean War, with a very high rate of frostbitten toes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Had excellent luck with Ariat work hog's for a work boot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Applied two thick coats of Obenaufs LP to my boots. Hairdrier between coats. I hope the O LP doesn't stain my socks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#22]
You're in Maine, right? Drive on down to Freeport, go to the company store, and pick up pair of their hunting boots. Treat with SnoSeal and you're good to go..
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That doesn't sound like any Gortex boot I ever owned.

My Danner Recons are about ten years old and still waterproof and
my Cabela hunting boots are about fifteen years old and still waterproof.
View Quote

Same,  my goretex boots  soak from my feet sweating,  not water getting, unless I'm standing in deep puddles for hours.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I've worked outside for 20+ years now, I've never had a boot stay waterproof for more than a winter.

You can buy some time treating them but treatments only last a week MAYBE.

Wolverines, Danner, Keen, Red Wing, Pos Irish setters, I've worn them all. They all let water in .
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've worked outside for 20+ years now, I've never had a boot stay waterproof for more than a winter.

You can buy some time treating them but treatments only last a week MAYBE.

Wolverines, Danner, Keen, Red Wing, Pos Irish setters, I've worn them all. They all let water in .
View Quote

Your avatar and the new tank icon are a perfect match!

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#26]
It's got to be coming in from the top of your boot. I've never had the problems people describe with goretex. That stuff is fantastically durable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a pair of Irish Setter 800gram hunting boots with Gore Tex and they started leaking after a couple years. I have an old pair of boots I got from Cabelas around 15yrs ago and they are still waterproof, even with the leather wore off the Gore Tex liner in spots. I just bought a pair of Danner Gore Tex lined hunting boots and I hope they stay waterproof for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't get "waterproof" boots.  Get waterproof socks.  Dex Socks.  $35/pr.  When they fail you throw less $$ away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Danner Acadia's are legitimately 100% waterproof. Well as tall as the boot is anyway.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Browning Kangaroo Featherweights ( goretex) are a good boot.

for a hiker, my old Asolos are still waterproof after 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Matterhorns, Danners, Red Wings, even my Rockys leather boots are still reliably waterproof.  I treat the leather with Gore-tex safe treatments, and while I wear gaiters if I have to cross a deeper stream (or take them off and go barefoot if it's over knee height), I have no worries about going in boot height fast water and having my feet come out dry.  Most of my boots are 8-10 years old but still waterproof.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's got to be coming in from the top of your boot. I've never had the problems people describe with goretex. That stuff is fantastically durable.
View Quote

No. Definitely not. I've never had a Gore-Tex boot that didn't eventually leak.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a pair of (made in the USA) leather Danners with goretex liners that have retained their "waterproofness" for ~3 years now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#34]
None I've found that last.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#35]
My Danner boots, and my Browning boots have maintained waterproof status for about 10 years.

Consider that perhaps your boots are not leaking, but that they are too hot, and it is your feet sweating causing wet inside your boots.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been wearing. A pair of Danner Quarrys for a year now, and they've held up against water and snow just fine. I treat the leather with mink oil about once a month.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Buy good quality leather boots, mink oil them at least twice prior to wearing them in wet weather. Good quality wool sock are the final touch.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  All leather is the way to go for what I do.

I'm currently waiting on a pair of Alico Summits.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Alico BackCountry - better than my old Vasque Sundowners IMO. Treated with mink oil, can walk in water - never a leak.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alico-backcountry-hiking-boots-leather-for-men~p~6289x/
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Leather is really not the best material for protection against extreme cold in winter.

Below around 18 degrees F, leather actually starts to conduct cold.

This is why the military developed vapor barrier boots ("bunny boots") to issue to troops in arctic environments.

They learned that lesson the hard way in the Korean War, with a very high rate of frostbitten toes.
View Quote

Those things suck donkey balls. Your feet sweat which eventually soaks the insulation then you have freezing wet feet. They aren't remotely comfortable and suck for walking and if you aren't careful sharp rocks will tear them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Belleville
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#44]
My Chippewas turned 4yrs old this Sept!  Don't know the model name, but they Waterproof to this day!  I've had them resoled 4x, so they're not closet queens, daily workers.  I put Neatsfoot oil on them EVERY Fall, for extra protection, but really don't need to as waterproof membrane is still 100%!  All my buddies buy them now, they still can't believe they're over 4yrs old!  Not cheap, made in USA, but worth EVERY penny!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I've stood around in water up to just short of the top of my boots and still had dry feet when I get home with my Danner Acadia's.

Your other option might be waterproof socks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#47]
My Matterhorn ATDs have never let water in and always kept my typically cold feet nice and warm while in the snow. They are solid leather all the way up the 10". They are not light though, or breathable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've stood around in water up to just short of the top of my boots and still had dry feet when I get home with my Danner Acadia's.

Your other option might be waterproof socks.
View Quote

I stood in ankle deep water the back of a rowboat for about 3 hours fishing one time. Totally dry feet. Danner Pronghorns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Redwing 914's. I can get almost two years out of a pair before sending them in for a rebuild.
The stupid blackberry, greenbrier, locust, and hedge thorns eventually work into a couple places and trash the liner.

Once the Gore-Tex starts leaking, I just hit them with Sno-Seal real heavy until they get sent in.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I love my Danner Acadia's.
Only time they failed was when the water was up to my knees.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top