Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/27/2016 11:39:31 PM EDT

Recently switched to diet mt dew from mt dew. Looking at the nutrition fact, it's literally all zeros except a tiny amount of sodium. Looks pretty healthy
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they believe artificial sweeteners are the debbil
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought because of the artificial sweetner. The scare was it caused cancer.

Don't know if its true, I drink Diet Coke all the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Because artificial sweeteners aren't natural and a lot of people are afflicted by a naturalness bias.

Nevermind that sugar has been absolutely proven to cause disastrous side effects - the news told me a new study said aspartame causes cancer!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because artificial sweeteners aren't natural and a lot of people are afflicted by a naturalness bias.

Nevermind that sugar has been absolutely proven to cause disastrous side effects - the news told me a new study said aspartame causes cancer!
View Quote

The new diet pepsi is aspartame free
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It's because what everyone else said

I only drink diet
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Fat people drink diet pop. By the bucket full.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
People who drink them have all kinds of health issues before they die young.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

While eating m&m's....by the bucket full.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Artificial sweeteners trick your body's natural dietary processes and actually causes diabetes. You're better off either consuming real sugar or simply not drinking soda in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
This has to be a troll thread.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Artificial sweeteners trick your body's natural dietary processes and actually causes diabetes. You're better off either consuming real sugar or simply not drinking soda in the first place.
View Quote

Finally someone who knows wtf they are talking about
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]

My name is David Hattan and I am currently Acting Director of the Division of Health Effects Evaluation in the United States Food & Drug Administration (USFDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. I have worked on questions relating to the safety of aspartame repeatedly since 1978 and am familiar with the safety studies that have been conducted to support the safety of this food additive.

[SNIP]

Second, the claim that aspartame ingestion results in the production of methanol, formaldehyde and formate: These claims are factual. In the gastrointestinal tract aspartame is hydrolyzed to one of its component materials, methanol, as well as the two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartic acid. This methanol is taken up by the cells of the body and metabolized first to formaldehyde and then to formate. The key information that is missing in the description by Ms. Markle is that the levels of ingestion are very modest.

[SNIP]

David G. Hattan, Ph.D.
Acting Director, Division of Health Effects Evaluation
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably because most diet sodas taste like they were made with carbonated fart and dirt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I read that the sweet taste kicks off an insulin dump, which will cause you to store calories... almost the same as sugar.

Eventually your body becomes tolerant and your insulin looses effectiveness.

Edit.  Spelling error was intentional.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They switched to sucralose and now they're switching back to aspartame.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Aspartame doesn't taste sweet to me, it tastes bitter. I can't stand the stuff.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#19]
phenylalanine.  Phenylketonuria.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Another side effect of aspartame is that it causes thirst and thus will never quench your thirst no matter how much you drink. Several cans of diet coke, sprite or whatever used to give me headaches / jitters and of course did nothing to quench my thirst.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know what to believe about the health hazards of diet soda, but I can tell you why people don't trust it.

It doesn't taste like food. Food has a wide variety of flavors but none of them taste like diet soda. If I never encountered diet soda and ever tasted food or drink that had a hint of the flavor of artificial sweetener in it I'd spit it out and assume it was contaminated with some kind of industrial waste.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Misinformation.  The causal links are strained.  We know the results of actual excess sugar consumption.

http://time.com/4393754/sugar-substitutes-insulin-resistance-diabetes/

The short answer is we don’t know what happens when you replace sugar with artificial sweeteners,” says Dr. Robert Lustig, an endocrinologist and sugar researcher at the University of California, San Francisco. “We have data nibbling around the edges, but we don’t have enough to make a hard determination for any specific sweetener.”

Pepino and her team are currently looking into the ways sucralose may affect the body’s insulin responses when swallowed by lean people, as opposed to people with obesity. But the picture of how artificial sweeteners affect your risks for insulin resistance and type-2 diabetes remains hazy. “A lot more research has to be done,” she says.

Lustig agrees. “Individual pieces of data are concerning,” he says. “There’s no question that diet soda consumption is associated with diabetes, but we don’t know yet if it’s cause or effect.”
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#23]
phosphoric acid - yuk
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#24]
You should just stop being fat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't trust no soda can that floats in water.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saccharin?
Aspartame?
Sucralose?
Maltitol?
Xylitol?
Sorbitol?
Erythritol?
Sodium Cyclamate?
Stevia?

I think you might be painting with a broad brush.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Cancer is natural. So are arsenic and mercury. Natural does not equal good for you.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#28]
In diet colas, the phosphoric acid. I'd wager a bet that there is an astounding link between heavy diet cola consumption and osteoporosis.

It always seems diet soda drinkers aren't occasional types, it's more of an all day thing because hey, it has no sugar!

I prefer cold water, coffee, or carbonated water.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Just to inject a bit of anecdotal evidence here i normally eat a pretty clean keto diet. If i drink it's usually just neat bourbon or vodka mixed with lime sparkling water.

Picked up some diet ginger beer because the gf wanted some moscow mules and have been hungry exhausted and feeling like shit finishing them off.

I typically can go all day without eating and not even realize it, have tons of energy and don't feel like a bloated mess with bags under my eyes.

Amazingly enough a lot of poisonous things taste sweet. Just drop soda all together, don't fool yourself. Your bodies responses to things has a lot more effect on health and obesity than actual calories. I can eat less than 2000 calories a day of crap food and gain weight in body fat or eat 3000+ calories a day and lose weight. All calories are not equal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Just because something doesn't contain nutrients, doesn't mean it has no effect on your body.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Unfortunately there are several things that can cause diabetes, with genetics being up there. Exercise can keep your inevitable diabetes at bay. But mostly your body is not doing what it was made to do.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to provide a link to a medical study to back this up or are you just going to continue failing?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#33]
chemical vs natural.  sugar vs hfcs.  hfcs vs aspartame.  

Some people don't react well to chemicals.  The fake sweets gave both my dad and my brother the most intense migraines they ever experienced.  Isolated it to sugar free products by process of elimination.  

FWIW, last couple of years there was a study released that showed biologically the fake sweets are worse and equally prone to onset diabetes than sugar. People tend to think they are doing good so they indulge and make it harder on the body to process.  Eventually the body says enough is enough.

Worked with a guy once who was a diet drinker.  Couldn't give up his fix, but switched to diet because his doctor was concerned about his weight.  Lost the weight, kept hitting the diet drinks.  Last I heard he started insulin not long ago.  Still drinking the diets though.  

Personally, it's the real stuff or not at all.  I've tried diet for taste and never could acquire it anyway.  Health?  Cut out soda all together or you're just fooling yourself.  There is no way the chemical concoction is in any way pretty healthy.  Remember, most 20oz bottles are 2.5 servings.  The nutrition facts are lowered by increasing servings so when you read it's all about the feels.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#34]
All the thin people I know drink sugar. All the fat people I know drink diet. Weird.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some people don't react well to chemicals.  The fake sweets gave both my dad and my brother the most intense migraines they ever experienced.  Isolated it to sugar free products by process of elimination.  

FWIW, last couple of years there was a study released that showed biologically the fake sweets are worse and equally prone to onset diabetes than sugar. People tend to think they are doing good so they indulge and make it harder on the body to process.  Eventually the body says enough is enough.

Worked with a guy once who was a diet drinker.  Couldn't give up his fix, but switched to diet because his doctor was concerned about his weight.  Lost the weight, kept hitting the diet drinks.  Last I heard he started insulin not long ago.  Still drinking the diets though.  

Personally, it's the real stuff or not at all.  I've tried diet for taste and never could acquire it anyway.  Health?  Cut out soda all together or you're just fooling yourself.  There is no way the chemical concoction is in any way pretty healthy.  Remember, most 20oz bottles are 2.5 servings.  The nutrition facts are lowered by increasing servings so when you read it's all about the feels.

View Quote

No there wasn't.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#36]
When you taste sweet, your body produces insulin because it expects incoming sugar. This drops your blood sugar, and gives you cravings for junk food, which, on average, tends to increase your daily calorie count over just having a normal soda.

Also, since you're not using that insulin to metabolize sugar, your body becomes resistant to insulin.

Welcome to the 'beetus.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is exactly what I do. The artificial sweeteners leaves a weird taste in my mouth. And from my readings the sweeteners are not that good for you. I just bite the bullet and drink the regular sugared/HFCS stuff. But for for long-term, I drink flavored soda water, it has the fizz and the flavor but no calories or artificial sweeteners. BUT some flavored soda waters do contain artificial sweeteners you have to read the label very carefully.

Also if you do crave sugar, you can add a couple tsps of sugar that is only 20 calories
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No there wasn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No there wasn't.

Umm...yes it was.  Sorry your Google is broke.  I don't have time to tell you where to go look for it.  The Time article linked above has some good points and links in it, though the "we have to do more research" usually translates into "more people have to die or the funding of our study has to change sources first".

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amongst other things.....by the bucket full.
"Diet" whatever, is an enabler/excuse to gorge on other bullshit your body does not need.

That's why huge, fat-asses are seen drinking huge, Big Gulps full of Diet crap and are still fat as all hell.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Umm...yes it was.  Sorry your Google is broke.  I don't have time to tell you where to go look for it.  The Time article linked above has some good points and links in it, though the "we have to do more research" usually translates into "more people have to die or the funding of our study has to change sources first".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No there wasn't.

Lol OK, continue living your life of scientific ignorance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No there wasn't.

Are you saying that Time articles don't equal peer reviewed medical research?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Besides the occasional whiskey and coke I gave up soda long ago.

You should think of doing the same. There is literally nothing good about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Recently switched to diet mt dew from mt dew. Looking at the nutrition fact, it's literally all zeros except a tiny amount of sodium. Looks pretty healthy
View Quote

DIet soda is not bad for you... being so fucking fat that you think switching your beverage is going to fix things is bad for you... is bad.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I live on Diet Coke. I like the taste, I'm not even close to fat.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a friend who is a fitness model.  He has no body fat and a diet regimen that I could never follow.  He won't even look at pizza.  His vice?  He drinks the fuck out of diet mountain dew.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

read up folks...don't drink diet...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Diet soda is crap.  The cumulative effect of putting artificial shit in your body will take its toll.  Just because medical studies haven't nailed it down yet doesn't mean it's good to go.  The consensus among doctors and nutritionists is that any soda, if consumed regularly, is bad for your health.

I look at soda as a treat.  I may have it once in a great while.  When I do, I prefer sodas sweetened with cane sugar simply because they taste so much better.  I think the problem is people treating them like a staple in their diet.  They have a diet soda with every meal and in between meals.  My wife is one of those.  She blows through a 12 pack of Diet Coke a day.  She stopped drinking it for a couple months and lost weight and her chronic headaches subsided.  It all resumed when she started the soda habit again.  

Put shit in your body, expect shit results.  Soda is not healthy.  Water is healthy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I drink Coke Zero literally

ALL

FUCKING

DAY

When I wake up in the morning, all bleary eyed and dehydrated, I crack open a Coke Zero. I think that the feeling I receive from that first sip is not unlike what Adam felt when God first breathed life into his nostrils. Then I wash my face, brush my teeth, comb my hair and have a breakfast (as it was told to me by Grandmother to do).

I go to Costco and buy the 35 pack. It lasts me two weeks.

If the Zombie Apocalypse, nuclear war or EMP ever hits, then I will be foraging not for ammo and food but for Coke Zeros.

I'll tell you the absolute truth. I got a regular last Saturday. I didn't even finish it. It was nasty, compared to Coke Zero.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No there wasn't.

Lol. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13793.html&ved=0ahUKEwjjurGQzfzPAhXJNj4KHbn0B00QFggxMAE&usg=AFQjCNHWQXlyWtxx-nrn79A-nJ-oe6gwjQ&sig2=_tlOBxyAxwWdfLFbzezTRQ
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The way sodas were suppossed to be used was as a special treat in 6 ounce size on Sundays and mostly for kids.

Grown men and women drinking pints, quarts, or liters several times a day, with sugar, hfcs, or the latestest variety of artificial sweetner is ridiciculous.

Man up and drink water, wine, tea (no sugar), black coffee, bourbon, beer, gin.  Keep the alcohol to 1 or two drinks per day, and don't over due the caffiene.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top