Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Why ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Why?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys serve krispy kreme or dunkin donuts after the service?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Resigned as in you were the preacher/pastor or resigned as in you are not going there anymore?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
What church?  Only counts if it's a real religion.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Methodist?

(I was all set to join the Methodist Church years ago, until they wanted me to basically pledge allegiance to the church. I walked out during the ceremony.)
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Were you employed by them or just going to quit attending?

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
what kind of church?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#9]
resigned ? where you the pastor/priest ect? backstory would be nice
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't understand how you resign from a church?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you think we care?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why ?
View Quote
4 reasons.

My friend and mentor who was the assistant pastor there left.  It left a pretty big hole for my wife and I there as he counseled us through a rocky part of our marriage.

Another couple that we were tight with left the church about a year ago.  

A couple that is an absolute train wreck drugs, addiction, co-dependency have been allowed to absolutely destroy our home based small group bible study.

The pastor allowed a person to preach that holds to doctrine that I am not willing to sit under, and has given indication that this person will be hired on staff soon.

The combined weight of those items have turned church from a place that my wife and I took joy in going to and serving and turned it into a place that evokes anger, resentment, and suspicion.  I have no desire to change the church, fight with the elders and I am simply gracefully bowing out and wishing them the best as I seek another congregation.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
SHOULD WE INSERT PEDO BEAR?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You guys serve krispy kreme or dunkin donuts after the service?
View Quote
Shipley's….we're in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol.  Why the drama?  Why not just not go back?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Resigned as in you were the preacher/pastor or resigned as in you are not going there anymore?
View Quote
The latter.  I was a deacon.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Do you think we care?
View Quote
Yes. You're here.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Evangelical Free Church of America  http://www.efca.org

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmm...so it is more about the people than the message?  Sounds like a good eject. Time to find a place that teaches sound doctrine regardless of who is "preaching" it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
4 reasons.

My friend and mentor who was the assistant pastor there left.  It left a pretty big hole for my wife and I there as he counseled us through a rocky part of our marriage.

A couple that is an absolute train wreck drugs, addiction, co-dependency have been allowed to absolutely destroy our home based small group bible study.

The pastor allowed a person to preach that holds to doctrine that I am not willing to sit under, and has given indication that this person will be hired on staff soon.

The combined weight of those items have turned church from a place that my wife and I took joy in going to and serving and turned it into a place that evokes anger, resentment, and suspicion.  I have no desire to change the church, fight with the elders and I am simply gracefully bowing out and wishing them the best as I seek another congregation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why ?
4 reasons.

Good enough!  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Were you employed by them or just going to quit attending?

View Quote
Not employed, but I was serving as a deacon.  Resigned my position and stopped going.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
No.  There is absolutely nothing along those lines going on.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
4 reasons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why ?
4 reasons.

Godspeed. Finding a new congregation can be difficult.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

DON'T BUY HER A CELL PHONE!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#25]
No question. Just my sympathies. Hopefully you can find the Gospel and the Spirit somewhere. In the mean time, stick to scripture and prayer with that lovely wife. "Wherever two or more are gathered..."
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Normally I would just agree with you.  

That being said, as a man that has differences with another man, I felt an obligation to inform my pastor of what I was doing and why.  

Just leaving and not going back is kind of gutless and also rude to the others.  As painful as it may be for people to hear they need to know why people leave.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Methodist?

(I was all set to join the Methodist Church years ago, until they wanted me to basically pledge allegiance to the church. I walked out during the ceremony.)
View Quote

Lol. You got freaked out by the "Affirmation of Faith"...
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hmm...so it is more about the people than the message?  Sounds like a good eject. Time to find a place that teaches sound doctrine regardless of who is "preaching" it.
View Quote
Yes and no.

Part of the beauty of a church is finding true friends and mentors.  At the same time, sound doctrine takes precedence, at least to me.  

The young man that he allowed to preach does not practice sound doctrine.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#30]
At least now you can start sleeping in on Sunday.

It really is the best day for that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
4 reasons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why ?
4 reasons.

I don't know you at all, but based on this post you seem the the churches busy body or drama queen.

Sorry but that's the vibe I'm getting. Maybe stop caring how they live their lives and focus that energy on improving your own life...
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to hear that.  They are a great organization.

Are you sure that you cannot voice your concerns?

I understand your desire not to change the church - but the church is the body - not the leadership - and if there is a poison, it needs sunlight to cure it.  If you don't explain what the problem is - how can they fix it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

No question. Just my sympathies. Hopefully you can find the Gospel and the Spirit somewhere. In the mean time, stick to scripture and prayer with that lovely wife. "Wherever two or more are gathered..."
View Quote
We are not the only ones that have been dissatisfied.

A small group of us are going to meet to study scripture, dine together and pray until that time we can find a suitable congregation.

I will not be un-churched.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#34]
How the hell do you resign from a church?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Good luck OP. It's good that you stepped out early so that your heart didn't become hardened.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A small group of us are going to meet to study scripture, dine together and pray until that time we can find a suitable congregation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol you should try being un-churched, it makes life much more enjoyable
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't know you at all, but based on this post you seem the the churches busy body or drama queen.

Sorry but that's the vibe I'm getting. Maybe stop caring how they live their lives and focus that energy on improving your own life…
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why ?
4 reasons.

Sorry but that's the vibe I'm getting. Maybe stop caring how they live their lives and focus that energy on improving your own life…
I can see how you can get that.  There is much more to the 3rd part of the story.  I am the quintessential bad Christian.  I drink, I smoke cigars, I have a problem with profanity, and a pretty bad temper.  I am also the 'break glass in case of emergency Christian' and when I get a phone call that someone's husband beat their ass, left then at home with no money, no car and no food for their kids, and they need help…I tend to go and get things done to deal with the problem…it's when I find out that there's a pattern of this behavior after the fact and they have taken advantage of other churches…I tend to get a bit upset about it.

I don't think I am a busy body unless I am invited.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I understand your desire not to change the church - but the church is the body - not the leadership - and if there is a poison, it needs sunlight to cure it.  If you don't explain what the problem is - how can they fix it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will not get stuck in a doctrinal debate here in GD.  The issue is that they allowed a young man that is studying under John MacArthur, a leading pastor in Reformed Theology and a practicer of the 5 points of Calvinism to take the pulpit.  The EFCA is a great organization, but they do not take a stand and allow for 'disagreement'.  I am not looking to fight, and as I said, bowing out gracefully.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That being said, as a man that has differences with another man, I felt an obligation to inform my pastor of what I was doing and why.  

Just leaving and not going back is kind of gutless and also rude to the others.  As painful as it may be for people to hear they need to know why people leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You make complete sense once I read your reasons.  I had posted about the time you detailed your reasons.

Best of luck in finding a better place.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

4 reasons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why ?
4 reasons.

Yesterday's pope thread put me in a mood I guess but it seems like the more involved I got in a church the less I wanted to be there. You start seeing all the politics, the behind the scenes issues and bad human behaviors and problems that invariably seem to lurk below. Get enough people together and it just happens; good luck - you'll likely need it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol you should try being un-churched, it makes life much more enjoyable
LOL…nice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Did you have to give two weeks notice? Did they offer severance?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Good luck finding a new church
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Did you have to give two weeks notice? Did they offer severance?
View Quote
Nope.

Nope.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP - sounds like you might have a bit of burn-out.  Good luck on your search for a new church home.  Sometimes God lets you know that your job at a particular congregation is done.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Good luck finding a new church
View Quote
Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes. You're here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you think we care?
Yes. You're here.

Damnit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Damnit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think we care?
Yes. You're here.

Damnit.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start a church?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Every man finds (or doesn't find) the creator in his own way. Then again there Elron Hubbard's Scatology which believes in Xenu, so for those Scatologists out there, Free Xenu Now!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top