Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 3:48:42 PM EDT

I was stunned by how thoroughly the media have distorted Trump's position. That's a privilege you get when you're part of the media elite: You get to steer the masses' thinking.

At the second debate, we all know that Trump walked over to Hillary Clinton's podium, as if he was "stalking Ms. Clinton like prey," said The New York Times. CNN said, "Trump looms behind Hillary Clinton at the debate."

Afterward, Clinton went on Ellen DeGeneres' show and said Trump would "literally stalk me around the stage, and I would just feel this presence behind me. I thought, 'Whoa, this is really weird.'"

But it was a lie. Watch the video. Clinton walked over to Trump's podium. Did the mainstream media tell you that? No.
View Quote

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/10/26/john-stossel-ruling-class-this-election-and.html
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm hard pressed to think of anything he's ever said or written that I disagree with. 

I'm sure there's something (there has to be), but he's damn near batting 1.000.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the guy. Got a couple of his books.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm hard pressed to think of anything he's ever said or written that I disagree with. 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, he's kinda wrong about Galileo:

Years ago, the ruling class was the Church. Priests said the universe revolved around Earth. Galileo was arrested because he disagreed.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5839933/did-galileo-get-in-trouble-for-being-right-or-for-being-a-jerk-about-it
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I like him.

But I don't care for the fact that he thinks Johnson is an actual libertarian.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I like him!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Years ago, the ruling class was the Church. Priests said the universe revolved around Earth. Galileo was arrested because he disagreed.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5839933/did-galileo-get-in-trouble-for-being-right-or-for-being-a-jerk-about-it
Good catch. That's a super common myth, though. The subtlety of that story is always lost. 

Let's say Stossel averages around a .975 just to be safe. 
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Stossel, though I disagree with him on a few things. For one thing, iirc, hes one of those open borders libertarians.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like Stossel, though I disagree with him on a few things. For one thing, iirc, hes one of those open borders libertarians.
View Quote

I agree with him more often than I disagree with him, I can't say that for too many in the media.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree with him more often than I disagree with him, I can't say that for too many in the media.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was actually going to come back and add that to my post. I'd say I agree with him about 80-90% of the time.

Though an open borders libertarian is essentially advocating something that would cause the end of their political philosophy having any the possibility of any sort of relevance. At least with todays immigration policies.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, he was arrested because he disagrees and the Pope was a cunt?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

history is repeating itself.

I liked when stossel dressed up like a bum and was panhandling in NYC and making $200 a day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was arrested because he pissed off the pope by making him look like an idiot.  The heliocentric idea had been floating around for a while.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I wouldn't phrase it like that. 

But kinda, yeah. All men in power were cunts back then. Popes, too.

I'm not defending what the Pope did (who could?). I'm saying at that time, it was a really, really, REALLY bad idea to call the Pope a simpleton. Or infer it, like he did. 

This is kind of the medieval version of Chris's Rock's "How to not get your ass kicked by the po-leece". 

A lot of people have suggested that if Galileo went about it differently, he'd have been fine. I'm inclined to agree. 
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not defending what the Pope did (who could?). I'm saying at that time, it was a really, really, REALLY bad idea to call the Pope a simpleton. Or infer it, like he did. 

This is kind of the medieval version of Chris's Rock's "How to not get your ass kicked by the po-leece". 

A lot of people have suggested that if Galileo went about it differently, he'd have been fine. I'm inclined to agree. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess he should have watched the video before posting that Dialogue.

Ol' Urban VIII probably was wearing an "I am a motherfucker" t-shirt under those robes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I like his show and his reporting much more then I dislike it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I like him for the most part. His delivery comes across as kind of condescending at times, like he's talking to a 7-year old.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

"How to speak to professional wrestlers"
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#18]
When was he redpilled / become a libertarian?

I seem to remember him on 20/20 doing typical fluff shit (1990s?), then all of the sudden he starting making sense.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the Pope.   The fact that he could be jailed for expressing any opinion in a book at the behest of State religion is the real problem.

Having someone arrested because he called you stupid pretty much proves the point.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#20]

He's a very entertaining and intelligent guy.

I tend to agree with him philosophically most of the time (apart from the open borders nonsense) but I'm one of those damn dirty libertarians so its to be expected.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I seem to remember him on 20/20 doing typical fluff shit (1990s?), then all of the sudden he starting making sense.
View Quote

Loooong time ago. Late 80's at least. 
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

He was against government intervention by the mid 1990's. He often says he started to see the light after reading Atlas Shrugged.

In 1994 he said:
"I'm a little embarrassed about how long it took me to see the folly of most government intervention. It was probably 15 years before I really woke up to the fact that almost everything government attempts to do, it makes worse."
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing wrong with open borders as long as there is no welfare, and treason is punished.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I was off by a decade, that wrestling interview was back in 84.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was actually going to come back and add that to my post. I'd say I agree with him about 80-90% of the time.

Though an open borders libertarian is essentially advocating something that would cause the end of their political philosophy having any the possibility of any sort of relevance. At least with todays immigration policies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the argument is that if there was not so much personal welfare assistance then we would not be attracting the bottom-barrel immigrants but people with drive looking for an equal opportunity to succeed.  In essence, eliminate the welfare and the immigration problem takes care of itself.

I get that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough. Dad always told me, "You're wrong, especially when you're right", but he was talking about dealing with women.

When it comes to the po-leece, Dad always said, "You will never win on the scene and trying may get you killed. If you're going to win at all, it'll be in court."

ETA: Back on the thread's main purpose, I always found Stossel to be one of the Libertarians who has a very academic, ideological view of libertarianism but who struggled when presented with real-world scenarios for transition and implementation (the typical "who will build the roads" argument which gets waved away before explaining how you pay for roads out to sparsely populated areas).
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I like stossel, but occasionally it gets a little old with his schtick.

example: Guest from a libertarian think tank

Stossel: "So, what's the deal here? Are farm subsidies a baaadd thhiingg?

Just something about his cadence, combined with the softball nature of the questions he asks friendlies. He's trying to get his views across, I get it. Other journalists try and hide their bias, I get it. But it can be tiring.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Fuck the Pope.   The fact that he could be jailed for expressing any opinion in a book at the behest of State religion is the real problem.

Having someone arrested because he called you stupid pretty much proves the point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like Dan Carlin says though, you have to judge people in history on a curve. Just arresting a guy for disagreeing with you or trying to publicly humiliate you was being kind. Being mean would have been having him tortured to death like the Anabaptist in Münster. Locking the person up sounds repugnant to us now, but we have no real cultural context from our day to day life that we can use as a parallel for that time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All monarchs at the time had the power to have you arrested for any reason.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I like stossel, but occasionally it gets a little old with his schtick.

example: Guest from a libertarian think tank

Stossel: "So, what's the deal here? Are farm subsidies a baaadd thhiingg?

Just something about his cadence, combined with the softball nature of the questions he asks friendlies. He's trying to get his views across, I get it. Other journalists try and hide their bias, I get it. But it can be tiring.
View Quote

Exactly my point too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Stossel is the only news show I will watch and take seriously. Awesome reporting done by him over the years
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with open borders as long as there is no welfare, and treason is punished.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the argument is that if there was not so much personal welfare assistance then we would not be attracting the bottom-barrel immigrants but people with drive looking for an equal opportunity to succeed.  In essence, eliminate the welfare and the immigration problem takes care of itself.

I get that.

Well, if we ever manage to get rid of the welfare state, maybe I'll reconsider, but from all I've seen, open immigration leads to an increase in the welfare state and gov't.  I've not seen much reason to think that non selective immigration is a good thing at all.

But I believe that Stossel advocates these things now. He may even be pro amnesty. Both those are iirc, but I think at least one and maybe both were things I read by him that I considered wrong.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I have no issues. He is an intelligent man that can back his opinion with fact.
Not to mention he just whipped lung cancer's ass.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

All monarchs at the time had the power to have you arrested do what ever the fuck they wanted to do to you, for any reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All monarchs at the time had the power to have you arrested do what ever the fuck they wanted to do to you, for any reason.

Life sucks when you're a serf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top