Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 5:42:48 AM EDT
On Monday, a young man went into my local indoor shooting range, rented three handguns and then shot himself. He died at the hospital.

Similar thing happened last year at the other indoor range in town, when a young woman killed herself with a rented handgun.

The difference?

There was almost no news coverage of the young woman's suicide and very little in the way of details.

The one that just happened is getting more coverage. Why? It was a murder-suicide. The shooter murdered his estranged girlfriend, who was white and a nurse. He was a black, Marine reservist who had served in Afghanistan. Multiple pictures of both of them in the news, his military service history, where she worked, etc...

So if you suicide, it's kept quiet but if you murder someone first then all bets are off?

When the story first broke, before the murder was connected to him, the news reports of the suicide identified his as a black man.

Why? What's the agenda the news media is pushing?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
How did he get her to show up at the range?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]
That veterans aren't safe to have firearms....its that simple...control the stories in media for a few years and pretty soon the stats fit your agenda...l
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
murder/suicide of a man/women has a story to it.

No one really gives a fuck about one man suck starting a shotgun..

Throw in the veteran aspect..and the media is going to have a field day...cause "22 a day" bullshit...and PSTD's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
It's all over the news yet you provide no links? laziest OP ever.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Who rents 3 guns to commit suicide?  

Not planned and he just happened to see her there?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#6]
When did he kill his GF?  While at the range?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Throw in the veteran aspect..and the media is going to have a field day...cause "22 a day" bullshit...and PSTD's.
View Quote

Yeah, news agencies here rarely report on suicides. They say it's policy, until it's an interesting one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a shooting at one of the local ranges here last year.  Made breaking headline news on the local paper.  As soon as they determined it was a suicide, all traces of the news article vanished.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm assuming he killed her at their/her house and then went to the range by himself and committed suicide.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm assuming he killed her at their/her house and then went to the range by himself and committed suicide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which would seem to indicate that he did not kill her with a gun.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess someone who thinks they might be getting into a shootout with the cops while at the range.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I recall that suicides are not reported out of respect for the victim (perpetrators?) family and to not inspire copycats.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess people with small pricks get all upset over lost pussy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe my sister in law was telling me about this last night, or something similar, saying it was their old neighbor while they were out in NC. Crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I recall that suicides are not reported out of respect for the victim (perpetrators?) family and to not inspire copycats.
View Quote

Shit here we had a woman kill herself and her kids, cause she didn't want her ex to get custody. All there was on tv was poor her this and that and then poor kids, nothing about the poor dad that lost his kids. What made it great was a post from her FB page where she was selling the home she got in divorce said she upgraded husbands time to upgrade the house.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How did he get her to show up at the range?
View Quote

He strangled her at home then drove to the range and offed himself

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Our range will not rent you a gun unless you bring one...because someone did the "suck start" thing once.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Two is one, one is none.  Oh, wait!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I guess someone who thinks they might be getting into a shootout with the cops while at the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or someone that isn't concerned about the financial repercussions of renting 1 vs 3 guns.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Straight up suicides are usually keep quiet.

I always assume suicide when seeing an obituary of a young person and it just says, "died unexpectedly at home" or doesn't hint at a cause of death.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Or someone that isn't concerned about the financial repercussions of renting 1 vs 3 guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't have to worry about paying the CC...

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Happened at a place I no longer go to due to lack of RO's. A lady tried to purchase TWO bullets with a rental gun and the cashier, said no, you need to buy the whole box. Clean up on lane 8...  Stupid not to see it coming.

ETA: Original incident took place in 2008 and again in 2010 with a guy. WTF
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is usually the case, even the obituary is usually kept pretty vague.  It is hard on a family.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#27]
"Scary veterans coming back from the Asscrackistania with all their scary sounding acronyms are just too mentally unstable to own fireguns and handarms around crazy white Hillary supporting innocent womenz."

SO SAYETH THE MAGIC GLOWING WALL BOX PICTURES.

A simple suicide, especially of a black man, doesn't fit any part of the liberal agenda, except maybe "it was the gun's fault" but even then, they know they're stretching. Mix in "the returning veteran" angle, maybe some "systemic racism", "bullying" (cuz all interracial couples face constant bullying according to the TV) and the like, and you get a story that affects the background music of the news broadcast (watch for it now that I mentioned it).

"The News" is just as guilty of the subliminal mind control we normally call out advertising companies for, if not more so because people don't expect it.

Everyone on TV has an agenda and every story in the "News" is written to fit that agenda.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#28]

It's the "shooting range" loophole.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

"Scary veterans coming back from the Asscrackistania with all their scary sounding acronyms are just too mentally unstable to own fireguns and handarms around crazy white Hillary supporting innocent womenz."

SO SAYETH THE MAGIC GLOWING WALL BOX PICTURES.

A simple suicide, especially of a black man, doesn't fit any part of the liberal agenda, except maybe "it was the gun's fault" but even then, they know they're stretching. Mix in "the returning veteran" angle, maybe some "systemic racism", "bullying" (cuz all interracial couples face constant bullying according to the TV) and the like, and you get a story that affects the background music of the news broadcast (watch for it now that I mentioned it).

"The News" is just as guilty of the subliminal mind control we normally call out advertising companies for, if not more so because people don't expect it.

Everyone on TV has an agenda and every story in the "News" is written to fit that agenda.
View Quote
Even in a conservative area, the local liberal newspaper always brings up guns in the story one way or the other. A hypothetical would be..........a man and wife drove their car into the lake and both drowned. A search of their home turned up a gun.  It would be like saying the man was found wearing pants.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh. Imagine that. Now if we could only do something to stop mass shootings...
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#31]
because a murder / suicide is a bigger story than just a suicide?

not rocket science and take the tinfoil off OP.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#32]
The media always has an agenda.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Local range here had 5 in less than 12 months IIRC. No longer in business.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Are you seriously wondering why a suicide was not covered much but a murder-suicide  was covered?

I'll give you a hint...it's the murder part.

This seems too easy, are you for real?

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. No one gives a shit about a lone suicide.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#36]
We had a workplace shooting incident this week that got very little media attention outside of the region.  I think some of the national outlets maybe spent a few minutes on it.  1 person killed, 3-4 wounded, and the shooter killed himself.  According to reports the shooter was an immigrant that had quit his job a few months ago related to something that had happened at work.  It seems really interesting given the regional ties with the Virginia Tech shooting, the news reporter killed on live TV, etc that it did not attract more attention.  

At around the same time as the shooting someone jumped from the parking garage at one of the local hospitals.  That barely got any local coverage at all.  

I have heard some say, its as if the media and people in general have become numb.  If the body count or circumstances aren't dramatic enough, no one cares.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top