Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2016 1:50:39 AM EDT
I'm not a huge cat guy but she is the sweetest cat I've ever met.  She'd spend hours in our back yard.  She disappeared the weekend of a huge baseball tourney at the local sports complex, I figured someone nabbed her because she never met a stranger.

I'm pretty sure she's an inside only cat for the time being.

http://www.khq.com/story/33481980/cat-missing-for-months-returns-on-owners-birthday
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Chip probably costs a LOT.

New cat, if so desired, probably like FREE-$100.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The chip isn't expensive at all and neither is registering the chip number with the website/national database.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not a huge cat guy but she is the sweetest cat I've ever met.  She'd spend hours in our back yard.  She disappeared the weekend of a huge baseball tourney at the local sports complex, I figured someone nabbed her because she never met a stranger.

http://www.khq.com/story/33481980/cat-missing-for-months-returns-on-owners-birthday
View Quote

I grew up with cats. My main one was an indoor/outdoor cat and would disappear for days and a couple times, weeks at a time. Years later I spent several years working as an Animal Control Officer and I can say confidently, no one "nabbed" the cat. Petnapping doesn't happen as often as people seem to think it does. PERIOD. Unlike with dogs, there are always people who "feed the raccoons" as we called it....setting out food for stray cats in the neighborhood. Most people don't tag their cats (rabies tags are required by law in most US jurisdictions), much less chip them so when a new cat shows up, it's just another in a long line of cats. Ultimately, cats have a wide range of territory, especially males, and go where the food is and yes will willingly go to their other families. I always called indoor/outdoor or totally outdoor cats, "community cats.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The chip isn't expensive at all and neither is registering the chip number with the website/national database.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. A lot of animal control agencies or humane societies will do it for less than a vet will charge.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Real vet money is in ill dog care - people obsess over their "furry kids". Cat owners are either less gullible, or don't have enough extra money to routinely target for transplants, ACL surgery, chemo, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Real vet money is in ill dog care - people obsess over their "furry kids". Cat owners are either less gullible, or don't have enough extra money to routinely target for transplants, ACL surgery, chemo, etc.
View Quote

I always figured that since cats are largely independent and have different cues than other domestic animals, most cat owners don't see health issues until it's progressed too far.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:40:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it's as easy to connect to a cat as it is a dog.

But that's me. Cats are more like pets, where dogs are much more likely to become family members.

I'd chip a dog, maybe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:53:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But that's me. Cats are more like pets, where dogs are much more likely to become family members.

I'd chip a dog, maybe.
View Quote

Trust me, chip your dog and any other pets. Most animal control agencies and reputable humane societies routinely scan for microchips to try and get the pet back home. Tags/collars come off...chips dont.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Story in our local paper last year where an old lady's cat disappeared for couple days. According to her, all the neighbors "loved" being visited by the cat as he made his rounds.

Cat shows up back at lady's house, declawed. Someone had either pulled them at home or brought it to a vet. Cat's otherwise unharmed.

I suspect a bird-lover might have been involved. House cats are very efficient backyard bird killers.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#11]
why is your neighbors cat in your backyard?

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd chip a dog, maybe.
View Quote

I returned a lady's dog the day after she lost it, across the river. I was keeping it if it didn't have a chip. Get a chip and keep your contact info current.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Me to wife.   " I think we should get a cat "

Wife.  :             That is just going to drive up the the electric bill

Me.     :            Why would the cat drive up the electric bill up?

Wife.   :            Because I will be leaving the doors open until the cat runs away

Lover her but she hates cats.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Misleading title.

Thought this was going to be about putting a cat in a wood chipper

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#15]
My Bengal is not allowed outside, ever. Disease, injury, and theft being my primary concern.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wife.   :            Because I will be leaving the doors open until the cat runs away

View Quote

No, no
You mean you love her BECAUSE she hates cats
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Bengal is not allowed outside, ever. Disease, injury, and theft being my primary concern.
View Quote

Well that's a tad bit different lol.

Badass cats!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#18]
MY buddy lost his cat while camping in the PNW a couple months ago. 45 days alone it made it to someones house and the homeowner brought it to a vet to be scanned. He got his cat back.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#19]
My dog just passed 2 days ago.

When I get another, I'm definately getting a chip for the new one when I get another.

I'd really shell out for a gps tracker on it.

My dog was a very dear friend to me and can't imagine it just up and being "lost" one day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Story in our local paper last year where an old lady's cat disappeared for couple days. According to her, all the neighbors "loved" being visited by the cat as he made his rounds.

Cat shows up back at lady's house, declawed. Someone had either pulled them at home or brought it to a vet. Cat's otherwise unharmed.

I suspect a bird-lover might have been involved. House cats are very efficient backyard bird killers.  

View Quote

I see bird feather piles frequently...and cats strolling around.  I would like to keep them away but do not know of a non-lethal way to discourage them from using my property as a killing field.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#21]
My fat gray dumbass cat would leave for weeks at a time when I lived on the farm. After the first 2-3 times he did it I stopped worrying and accepted that if he never comes back thats just part of having a outdoor farm cat. He stayed inside all winter but once spring rolled around you would only see him a few times a month.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's a cat. Oh noes! Your cat is trespassing!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I just had my cat chipped a couple days ago. He roams a lot and I was afraid someone was going to snag him at the nearby gun club because he's a pretty good looking cat. He looks like a Norwegian Forest cat and is very friendly. I'm hoping the neuter will eventually stop him from roaming.

The chip was $63 and $20 per year
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, hmmm. I think ours was $15, half price for my first dog we had chipped.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I always figured that since cats are largely independent and have different cues than other domestic animals, most cat owners don't see health issues until it's progressed too far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cats are tough critters...unless they're actively bleeding or limping, they don't communicate pain for the most part.

I'm too afraid of my cats getting injured or hit by a car to let them roam freely.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not at all
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine came with a chip and was fixed. Original cost from the shelter was $95.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#28]
pics of pussy?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I never understood the point in having outdoor cats in the city/suburbs. Why have a pet if you barely see it and just toss out food for it? Why not put up a squirrel or bird feeder instead?

Then again I'm not a cat person at all either.

Chips are worth it though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think ours was like 20 bucks to get chipped.  We didn't use a vet we went to one of those healty pet clinics.  The specialize in vaccinations,  chipping and that's about it.

and it pains me to say this. You have NO idea how bad I hate to admit this.  I am (was) known as the cat hater.  I mean I hate cats .  Bad. For several reasons,  but we now have a cat and he's super cool.

I'll never own another cat,  this was a 1 time,  stars aligned,  everything was perfect chance,  so we chipped him.  If he disappeared we'll be out of the cat game again.

But 20 bucks isn't much if it's a pet you like. He's already provided 10x that much in entertainment watching him hunt, stalk and finally pounce on my kids, usually terrifying them  and causing much ruckus.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thumbs up on the wife.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'd chip a dog, maybe.
View Quote

You just haven't had the right cat
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I never understood the point in having outdoor cats in the city/suburbs. Why have a pet if you barely see it and just toss out food for it? Why not put up a squirrel or bird feeder instead?

View Quote

To kill all the annoying birds.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  You lose a cat messagebme I have 12 that live in the barn you can have.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well definitely get it chipped and keep a rabies tag on it, because even if it's an indoor pet, there's always that one time it may get curious and run out the door.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I see bird feather piles frequently...and cats strolling around.  I would like to keep them away but do not know of a non-lethal way to discourage them from using my property as a killing field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's generally no way to deter them. I would usually offer to set live traps for cats or the shelter I worked out of would lend them out if available for a 2 week period. The problem is, you can't catch all of them and unfortunately some cats brought into our shelter that way get reclaimed, they go back home and the owner lets them roam again. If the cats you are seeing belong to a local feral colony that's run by a humane society or whatnot, they're usually chipped and clipped and will be returned to the area...so it's a never ending cycle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Chipping a pet is cheap, like $20. The one our vet uses is linked thru google, just type in the chip number either vet scanned or on the tag they give you for the collar and google pops up with your supplied contact info.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I never understood the point in having outdoor cats in the city/suburbs. Why have a pet if you barely see it and just toss out food for it?
Why not put up a squirrel or bird feeder instead?

Then again I'm not a cat person at all either.

Chips are worth it though.
View Quote

I never understood that thinking with dogs either. Sure a lot are cared for and socialized, but all too often I'd see people buy or adopt puppies, take it home and immediately chain it up in the backyard. No one would play with it or bother to socialize it, then a few years later because of that, they bring it in to the shelter or surrender it in the field to an officer, because it bit someone. If I asked if they trained it, socialized or even played with it, they'd almost always look at me like I just sprouted a third arm out of my forehead. I even had a few ask why I would even expect them to do that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:Petnapping doesn't happen as often as people seem to think it does. PERIOD.
View Quote

False. Bro, do you even Ace Ventura?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no

No, she is so sweet and kind. I find it perplexing that she finds them so disgusting.
I found out later her mom trained all her kids to hate felines
True ARF choice = I like both.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I grew up with cats. My main one was an indoor/outdoor cat and would disappear for days and a couple times, weeks at a time. Years later I spent several years working as an Animal Control Officer and I can say confidently, no one "nabbed" the cat. Petnapping doesn't happen as often as people seem to think it does. PERIOD. Unlike with dogs, there are always people who "feed the raccoons" as we called it....setting out food for stray cats in the neighborhood. Most people don't tag their cats (rabies tags are required by law in most US jurisdictions), much less chip them so when a new cat shows up, it's just another in a long line of cats. Ultimately, cats have a wide range of territory, especially males, and go where the food is and yes will willingly go to their other families. I always called indoor/outdoor or totally outdoor cats, "community cats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was found many miles away and disappeared on a weekend when there were hundreds of families around a half a block from the house.  She roamed the neighborhood but not that far.

When my wife and I moved in she came over the first day to see what we were up to, crawled around in my truck without compunction.  Maybe someone left a window open in their car and didn't discover her til they were home IDK.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

She was found many miles away and disappeared on a weekend when there were hundreds of families around a half a block from the house.  She roamed the neighborhood but not that far.

When my wife and I moved in she came over the first day to see what we were up to, crawled around in my truck without compunction.  Maybe someone left a window open in their car and didn't discover her til they were home IDK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Chipping a cat isn't just for the idiots that let their cats freely roam.

Some of us with exotics do it in case by rare chance our cat gets out.

Chances are, someone will keep it even if chipped, but most of the time they're stupid enough to bring it to the vet who then scans them BECAUSE the cat was reported lost.

Believe me, if a Savannah escapes, all local vets will be on the lookout.  You don't see them in the office very often.

ETA:  People DO nab cats, but it's usually because the cat pretty much allowed it because it was making it's rounds and someone took it in.  My ex lost a gray in 2010, and I found it five years later lounging in someone's driveway three blocks away.  We had placed missing cat posters all over, and I searched for that darn cat for a couple weeks.  The plan was to re-nab the cat, but the opportunity hasn't arisen to do it.  That was last year, I haven't seen the cat this year.

Mine is getting chipped once he goes in for neutering.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I returned a lady's dog the day after she lost it, across the river. .
View Quote

That trebuchet finally came in handy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#45]

No way man, that's how it starts.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The horror !!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#47]
My cats never go outside. I won't pay for rabies shots, chips, or volcano insurance.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Chipping a cat isn't just for the idiots that let their cats freely roam.

Some of us with exotics do it in case by rare chance our cat gets out.

Chances are, someone will keep it even if chipped, but most of the time they're stupid enough to bring it to the vet who then scans them BECAUSE the cat was reported lost.

Believe me, if a Savannah escapes, all local vets will be on the lookout.  You don't see them in the office very often.

ETA:  People DO nab cats, but it's usually because the cat pretty much allowed it because it was making it's rounds and someone took it in.  My ex lost a gray in 2010, and I found it five years later lounging in someone's driveway three blocks away.  We had placed missing cat posters all over, and I searched for that darn cat for a couple weeks. The plan was to re-nab the cat, but the opportunity hasn't arisen to do it.  That was last year, I haven't seen the cat this year.

Mine is getting chipped once he goes in for neutering.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/StevesZZ5/6C504112-CDEE-44C6-9F14-6A9CFE400A75_zpsrhdpngow.png
View Quote

You do realize in most jurisdictions, whether or not said individual who has your cat knows it's owned, it's considered a property crime, no different than stealing someone's car stereo. If you "nab" the cat back and they never knew it was yours in the first place, they can file a theft report against you and if you have no way to prove ownership of the animal (the pic you posted shows no collar or rabies tag), you can be charged depending on market value of the animal and depending on that, it could be petit or grand larceny. Make a damn report on your end with animal control and/or PD.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top