Quoted:

Delta and DEVGRU still using them.

What do you think?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
How extreme was the thermal drift? I know that the battery life is terrible. I am thinking about reliability, durability.

What do you think?

I think they can get a brand new one any time they want.  Long term reliability is less of a problem when you're not paying for replacements.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think they can get a brand new one any time they want.  Long term reliability is less of a problem when you're not paying for replacements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How extreme was the thermal drift? I know that the battery life is terrible. I am thinking about reliability, durability.

What do you think?

I've owned two, a xps2 & 516. Both had to go back due to losing their nitrogen purge and delamination, they fixed both for free if that counts for anything. No more eotechs for me though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Reticle started getting hazy at extreme angles after 2 years of mild use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got five of them.

Three on AR's, one on a PS90 and the last on an AUG. Haven't really had a problem with them at all, and if there is one thing Minnesota has, it's temperature variations!

The only real problem I've had with the EOTech is the AA batteries invariably end up leaking in there and it fucks up the little grommets in the bottom of the battery housing, making them rust. I've gotten the little replacement thingies that slide into the housing, and those are great. And the EOTech does this with every Battery brand too. I really want to put those lithium AA's in there, but am afraid there might be a fire.

All that said, I won't be buying another either. The aimpoint is a better system and the Leupold firedot is so incredibly more versatile I see no reason whatsoever to screw around with anything from L3 from here on out.
View Quote

There's a difference between lithium & lithium-ion batteries. Lithiums don't pose the fire hazard that lithium-ions do. Use lithium AA's for longer run-time, better cold-weather performance & lighter weight (don't think I've ever heard of a lithium-ion AA).
I don't use alkalines at all, they go straight into the trash.

Back on-topic: I've owned a number of Eotechs and while I love the circle-dot reticle & wide FOV, they're obsolescent technology w/poor battery life, non-ergonomic switches and many more reported problems than I'm comfortable with (the best warranty is the one you never have to use).

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They are apparently good enough that SF have been using them for like the last 15 years or so.
Generally  when it comes to guns take the consensus of Arfcom and do the exact opposite; it's what SF seem to do
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are apparently good enough that SF have been using them for like the last 15 years or so.
Generally  when it comes to guns take the consensus of Arfcom and do the exact opposite; it's what SF seem to do

... and they can turn them in and get a new one if they fail too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Energizer L91 batteries people.  Stop using shitty batteries in expensive optics!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had two. One of the older "n" type batteries type and one "aa" type. Really wanted to like the "n" one as the footprint was perfect on my sbr 9mm. First it went dim. "Nice" guy in customer service informed me I had obviously somehow jammed the wrong batteries in it damaging the electronics and it would cost $80 (I think I remember right) to fix it. Diagnosed on the phone. Got it back, killed batteries in a few days every time. Then wouldn't turn on. Less than nine months working time. Same guy in customer service wanted $80 again. Asked for supervisor and he decided it was covered if I paid shipping. Lasted almost six months that time.
I couldn't send them back fast enough when they offered refunds. Though to be fair, the "aa" one never faltered.
I have two Aimpoints, one so old it looks like the star ship Enterprise with one engine missing and they have never missed a beat.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two, they are both >10 years old, both have never let me down.

In fact, I once lost a battery hood and L3 sent me one free of charge.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But it has that cool ring around the dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eo Tech paid a 25.6 MILLION DOLLAR fine to the US government for fraud involving their HWS and for knowing about their sights faults/failures and failing to report them as required in their contract.

Why anyone would buy products made by a company that purposefully and knowingly endangered our service members lives with substandard products for pure profits is beyond me.

A 25.6 million dollar settlement and the companies own admission their products are failure prone yet they didn't report the findings as required seems pretty damn objective to me.

But it has that cool ring around the dot.

That cool ring is very useful past just being a red dot ring.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never heard of "Thermal Drift"?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've never heard of "Thermal Drift"?
View Quote

POI changes as the temperature varies. What's zero'd at 75 F may be off some amount at 35 F or 110 F.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To be fair though, when a green beret's gear breaks or just doesn't work to their liking anymore, they get it replaced. When we buy something and it underperforms or just breaks, we're stuck with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha! Amen.

To be fair though, when a green beret's gear breaks or just doesn't work to their liking anymore, they get it replaced. When we buy something and it underperforms or just breaks, we're stuck with it.

To be really really fair, most shooters wouldn't know if it was the sight drifting or just them pulling the trigger different this time.

They think they should be putting 1 inch holes in targets all day and shoot once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a 512 for approx 8 years.    No problems.    Liked the design - coaxial with iron sights,    mounting system better than competitors for not getting snagged on straps, branches, etc.

But I developed astigmatism in my eyes and saw multiple dots, not one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a few Aimpoints , large and small Acogs, and a couple of Eotechs.

While I am sure some are tougher than others , my eye is very comfortable with the circle dot reticle on the EOs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My EXPS 3-0's zero drifted by over 4 inches at 100 yards twice within a 6 month period without hard use, extreme temperature changes, or changes to the rifle. I don't know if it's a lemon or not but I'm returning it for the refund. Already have a T2 in a Geissele mount to replace it and couldn't be happier.
View Quote
Join date, post count. Hilarious how not a single "thermal drift" report was made before the lawsuit. Suddenly it's rampant.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I liked the 512 I had, but since I couldn't trust it I returned it during the buy-back last winter.

The dot/ring was the best close-to-medium-range sighting system ever.  I had my irons co-witnessed to the dot, so if I had drift problems (which never occurred for me) I could easily adjust back to proper zero.

As others have said, battery life/drain was a big problem.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Eotech, or L3 Communications, was caught withholding information about issues they knew about.  After that, I'll never buy another one.
View Quote
This is the truth. I like the sights so will continue to use them, but they intentionally deceived their customer base.

The person responsible for that was let go, though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Pros: the fastest rds I've ever used.  Much easier to switch between targets.  

Cons: terrible battery life.  Batteries will leak and eat the terminals. Glass delaminates.

I owned a 552 for years.  It worked for two of those years.  Glass started to come apart and figured I'd use it anyway.  Then the battery springs took a set which would cause the sight to cut out under recoil.  I stretched the springs to fix.  Batteries leaked twice, the second time killing the sight.  When L3 offered a refund I couldn't box mine up fast enough.

Some believers say "sf uses them, good enough for me".  Problem is SF can pull a new one from supply, but I can't.  A $500 sight shouldn't have the problems I had.

If you still want one after the government lawsuit, don't cry when it craps out.
View Quote
People keep saying that, but the fact is SF uses them on missions where there is no "supply" around. If they didn't trust the sights to perform when their lives are literally in danger, they would not use them.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The battery life was problematic and they had parasitic battery drain when turned off.
View Quote

I have two EXPS 2-0 units.  Can't leave the CR123 batteries in them when stored as they will be drained within a couple of weeks.  Pain in the ass for my trunk gun . . . having to keep the battery removed.  Other than that, they've both been great at what they do when actually used.  No thermal shift.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People keep saying that, but the fact is SF uses them on missions where there is no "supply" around. If they didn't trust the sights to perform when their lives are literally in danger, they would not use them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cons: terrible battery life.  Batteries will leak and eat the terminals. Glass delaminates.

I owned a 552 for years.  It worked for two of those years.  Glass started to come apart and figured I'd use it anyway.  Then the battery springs took a set which would cause the sight to cut out under recoil.  I stretched the springs to fix.  Batteries leaked twice, the second time killing the sight.  When L3 offered a refund I couldn't box mine up fast enough.

Some believers say "sf uses them, good enough for me".  Problem is SF can pull a new one from supply, but I can't.  A $500 sight shouldn't have the problems I had.

If you still want one after the government lawsuit, don't cry when it craps out.

I get that.  I'd trust it completely too if my Eotech was perpetually no more than a couple weeks or even a month old.  

Over time, the issues I had cropped up.  It was the best sight I'd ever used, right up until it shit the bed 2 years later.

I don't have their resources at my disposal.  If I spend that kind of money, I need it to last.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What model?

My 558 gets so damn bright at the higher settings you'd have to be on the surface of the sun to not see it due to ambient light. Like it will literally leave an afterimage on your retina from looking at it for more than a half second and the whole housing is glowing; that bright. Generally two to four clicks up from the starting brightness will take care of a Texas afternoon for me, which is nowhere near full brightness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I took my SBR to the range on a sunny September Texas Wednesday and I couldn't see the damn reticle for shit.

What model?

My 558 gets so damn bright at the higher settings you'd have to be on the surface of the sun to not see it due to ambient light. Like it will literally leave an afterimage on your retina from looking at it for more than a half second and the whole housing is glowing; that bright. Generally two to four clicks up from the starting brightness will take care of a Texas afternoon for me, which is nowhere near full brightness.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Not worth the price of admission when you can get an aimpoint for the same $ and have a better optic.

If they were $200, they would be more competitive.

Also, eotech as a company is not worthy of trust considering their lies.

I won't buy another, and by all accounts the one I had was good.....I live in a place where it can be 60deg in my house and 5deg outside.  Thermal drift is an issue for me if I need to go outside for some reason.  I wouldn't have bought it if I knew about that problem.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I had to sell mine back to them due to the thermal drift.

I had zero'd it in the spring around 70 degrees, shot a 3 gun match in Oct with it when it was 34 degrees our and it would not hit where I was looking like it used to in the nice weather.

Never had a problem with battery life, this was a 512 model.

I got an Aimpoint PRO and it works great. Shame about the Eotech too I really like the reticle...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've had no issues with either thermal drift or battery life in my 512.
View Quote

mine has been fucking awesome
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I had one (EXPS2) that was my only sight and it was delaminating I'm guessing with the reticle fading out on the left side of the window after about 3 years and it was going back for service anyway so I decided to trade it in and got a AP micro instead.

That said I will most likely be picking up another one in the future as I really loved that sight, I just didn't want it to be my only one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had a 512 for many years and have acquired several XPS-2'S over the years and have never had any issues with them.

None of them have been to Antarctica though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I've have 5 of them and have had minor issues with thermal drift. Moving about 1/2 inch at 100 yards or sometimes an 1 inch in +/-20 degree changes.

I've always ignored it as I always feel one should "test fire" their weapon before doing any shooting, recreational or otherwise. "if" you NEED to use your rifle in an unexpected emergency then your probably going to engage targets at a distance of less than 50 meters. If you know your heading on a fight/patrol then you should verify your zero before you leave the FOB/home/couch, whatever...

I don't trust any optic, iron sight, gear, automobile 100%.  

however IF money was no object, I would run ACOGs on eva-thang!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#28]
No issues at all with my XPS2.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Me either, 10 years or so now too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had no issues with either thermal drift or battery life in my 512.
Me either, 10 years or so now too.  

Same.  And I beat the shit out of my 512 AA, Rev F (remember when that meant something? )
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#30]
If you're not in the desert in the summer, a cop that keeps his shit in the trunk during the summer, or a Canadian Ranger patrolling next to the Bering Straight in February, they're fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#31]
my friend has had his eotech (xps) on his DD 10.3 for about 3 years now, not even gonna guess round count its gone through, but its still right on.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Never had an issue with my 512 I had for years

Been thinking about getting one for my FAL build
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I get that.  I'd trust it completely too if my Eotech was perpetually no more than a couple weeks or even a month old.  

Over time, the issues I had cropped up.  It was the best sight I'd ever used, right up until it shit the bed 2 years later.

I don't have their resources at my disposal.  If I spend that kind of money, I need it to last.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have ANY EVIDENCE at all to support that statement? You think they are using sights for a few weeks and then getting new ones?

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I had zero'd it in the spring around 70 degrees, shot a 3 gun match in Oct with it when it was 34 degrees our and it would not hit where I was looking like it used to in the nice weather.

I got an Aimpoint PRO and it works great. Shame about the Eotech too I really like the reticle...
View Quote
lol, another one.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock 19

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long is the period between when they draw weapons from armory till then have another shot at getting another optic?  A couple weeks, at worst?

When I want a sight that works for years....my requirements are different.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I have three. They all work great.

Target acquisition at CQB range is faster than any other sight.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#38]
No problems with either the EXPS 2.0 or 3.0 that I've been using.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I havnt noticed anything with my 512 yet but I wont be buying another one anytime soon.
View Quote

Sounds about right.  I've had my 512 since 2003 and its always worked well in cold and warm weather with as minimal shift in POI as I can tell.  That said, I'm an Aimpoint fan now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#40]
My 552 is over a decade old, has been seen tens of thousands of rounds go down range, and has been dragged, dropped, and thrown into the back of ATVs and trucks across a couple of continents

Little did I know how much it sucked until I read about it on the internet.

Thank goodness for the internet.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#41]
interwebs blow that shit out of proportion
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I returned my 552 this year (bought in 2007) due to dim recticle which made shooting in bright light difficult.

I never had problems with drift or batteries. I actually really liked it, except for the eventual problem in bright light.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's a question, can the thermal drift issue be fixed? Is it a design issue or a materials issue? And finally, what are they doing with all of the sights that are getting sent back?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
lol, another one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, another one.  

Why do you care if others took eotech up on their own offer?  Not like they demanded it back......if you like your eotech you can keep your eotech......

Unless how much you like it is tied to how much other people like it......but then that's not really a rationale based on your own likes......or analysis of their qualities.

Oh, and I'm not SF.  I don't get to zero my rifle before it goes into action before every mission.  It gets zeroed when I get to the range before it sits next to my nightstand.  SF isn't criminally liable for stray shots in a warzone, I don't want to have stray shots in my residential area......just a few thoughts....

Eotech might be your favorite, and its a spiffy thing inside of the confines that it works in.....but my needs are opposed to using that optic, and I damn sure am not paying aimpoint prices for one considering the limitations and failure rates they have had over the years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I got aimpoint for my AR at work.

Co-worker got an Eotech.

He is having nothing but problems.

/shrugs
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I live in Northern AZ and I've had my Eotech 557 for over five years now.

I haven't noticed any thermal drift with or problems with it at all, but I also don't shoot bulls-eye targets with it either.

It works just fine for me for the purpose I bought it for and I bought it because I like the sight presentation more than the Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My 552 is over a decade old, has been seen tens of thousands of rounds go down range, and has been dragged, dropped, and thrown into the back of ATVs and trucks across a couple of continents

View All Quotes
Quoted:

QFT.

Quoted:

If your problem was thermal drift, you're probably not going to be very happy with Aimpoint. They're no better in that department.

At least EOTech and Trijicon have owned up to thermal drift and released their own data on their optics so people can make an informed decision. Unless their position has changed and I haven't heard, Aimpoint is still where L3 was years ago claiming they have no drift and hoping no one will notice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do you have ANY EVIDENCE at all to support that statement? You think they are using sights for a few weeks and then getting new ones?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus guy.  It's not like I'm insulting your heritage.

My point remains, whether it's two weeks or 6 months they can exchange it any time with no out of pocket cost.  I don't have that luxury.  My eotech gave me two years...that ain't long enough for me.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Just jump one the joowagon and get a meprolight. I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Speaking of iron: OP's thread title is about as irony as it gets.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top