BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
High end and $200 total for 5 people? Does not compute.
View Quote
This is high end Italian for some

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Having been in the industry for many years (a long time ago) I definitely think you should've been comped something.  Did they charge you for the drink?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Life happens, but they dropped the ball in not comping something for you.

While in HS I was working as bus boy and I accidentally spilled water into the lap of a male customer while filling his water glass.
He was not happy as it was a pretty classy place thus he was in a suit. I had the waiter comp him a couple of drinks on me
to say I was sorry. That took about a quarter of my tips that night but it was the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Owner should have comp'd the table. Accidents happen but a waiter worth a shit doesn't spill drinks down the customers back. I don't care how good the food is; wearing a 1/4 gallon of iced tea ruins the meal. Anyone thinking otherwise doesn't know anything about hospitality, and customer service.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Next time you're in there, casually mention the incident to the owner.  Laugh about it.  And tell him your entire crew was upset he didn't comp anything.  But you weren't angry, of course.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The waitress made a simple mistake and the owner missed an opportunity.   You did the right thing.   Move on and be thankful it wasn't scalding hot cofee.
View Quote

Or a drink containing Grenadine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Couple quarters for the dryer at the laundry mat. But it is weird you didn't get anything for free.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a waitress spil a tray of alcoholic drinks on me at a bar one time.

I said, "Fuck it, I'm going home."

She said, "Hang on, I'll get your bill." (Bill was about $15)

I said, "Fuck that, I ain't paying shit, go tell your manager what happened."

She gave me the screw face and I left. I came back many, many times but never saw her again.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Next time you go in wear a full rain slicker and carry an umbrella. Bonus points if it's high viz yellow.
View Quote

This FTW
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Free meal at least---I would not go back & I would write them to let them know why.  What has become acceptable customer service in the restaurant industry  is hardly acceptable to me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Even when I worked at outback if someone spilled on the customer they were getting something comped and no matter if it was a fancy suit, dress, or ratty old t shirt they offered to pay for dry cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Our fiscal quarter ended last week and so I took my department of 5 guys out to lunch today as a thank you. The place is a classy Italian restaurant and the bill was 200.00
As the waiter was bringing our drinks he proceeded to spill an entire glass of ice tea down my back. These glass are really big, more than anyone can really drink in a sitting. in fact it is kind of odd since the place is more high end. Anyway I was soaked. My entire back and right side of my pants were dripping wet with ice tea. The guy apologized and I told him I understood it was a mistake but I was going to need some major towels and fast. We proceeded to clean the mess and then ate our food. The owner came out twice to apologize. He knows me by name and has seen me in there multiple times with the owner of our company. What bothers me is that he did not comp me anything, not even a free piece of dessert. Now I typically do not expect anything when shit happens to me, but this was a case where I was soak and wet. This was not a minor spill. I left a 15% tip despite my crew telling me to not leave anything for the waiter.

So am I off base in expecting a little something for my trouble here?
View Quote

Better call Saul. You need at least half a million in pain and suffering but you'll settle for 50k for you and 50k for the scumbag slip and fall lawyer
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Your meal should be free, kind of hard to enjoy it while soaking wet.  Also a cleaning bill reimbursement.  Did the owner offer any of that?  You should have called him on that.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Somebody made a mistake and apologized repeatedly
Be a fun king man and accept the apology and move on. Your life isn't ruined so rinse the sand out of your pussy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Accept nothing less than a new car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our fiscal quarter ended last week and so I took my department of 5 guys out to lunch today as a thank you. The place is a classy Italian restaurant and the bill was 200.00
As the waiter was bringing our drinks he proceeded to spill an entire glass of ice tea down my back. These glass are really big, more than anyone can really drink in a sitting. in fact it is kind of odd since the place is more high end. Anyway I was soaked. My entire back and right side of my pants were dripping wet with ice tea. The guy apologized and I told him I understood it was a mistake but I was going to need some major towels and fast. We proceeded to clean the mess and then ate our food. The owner came out twice to apologize. He knows me by name and has seen me in there multiple times with the owner of our company. What bothers me is that he did not comp me anything, not even a free piece of dessert. Now I typically do not expect anything when shit happens to me, but this was a case where I was soak and wet. This was not a minor spill. I left a 15% tip despite my crew telling me to not leave anything for the waiter.

Accept nothing less than a new car.

lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$40 per person for a business lunch is pretty dang high for my little corner of the world, esp since I would guess no alcohol was involved.

YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
$40 per person for a business lunch is pretty dang high for my little corner of the world, esp since I would guess no alcohol was involved.

YMMV

Yeah, if it's a dry lunch  (hahahha!) that's a large tab.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That would be a pricey lunch for me assuming no alcohol was consumed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a pricey lunch for me assuming no alcohol was consumed.

It is. The ARF millionaires have to,pretend they blow 100 bucks a head at lunch
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Next time give his restroom the Ryan Steakhouse treatment..
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I took my wife out for our 30th anniversary in March to a really nice Tapas place. Halfway through the meal the waitress dumped about half of a glass of tea down my back. She was absolutely horrified and apologized profusely. I thought she was going to break down and cry. I laughed it off and told her not to worry about it.  Her manager came out and apologized and offered to have my jacket cleaned, which I refused. At the end of the meal she brought us both out cheesecake and told us they were on her.

When we paid our tab, I tipped her 20% of the bill and added an extra $15 to cover the cheesecakes.  Shit happens and I didn't feel like she owned me anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#20]
A real man would have grabbed the waiter and waterboarded him with the remaining glasses of iced tea.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A free piece of pie for your feelings.

Harden the fuck up Johnny.
View Quote

OMG!!!! I was walking down the street and some asswipe bumped into me and made me stumble. Next time I'm gonna blade at 45 and pull my heater and yell " YOU WILL PAY ME FOR THAT"!!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Having been in the industry for many years (a long time ago) I definitely think you should've been comped something.  Did they charge you for the drink?
View Quote
Yep. And for the  refill.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#23]
worked in the restaurant business for years.

standard compensation would be comp your meal and reimburse you for dry cleaning cost.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

If there was no alcohol involved $200 seems like a high end lunch for 5 people.  Around here that would more than enough to cover a large ribeye with a couple sides and soda or tea.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Suck it up buttercup.  Accidents happen.  You don't have to be compensated every time your no no parts get hurt.

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I once saw a waitress spill a glass of ice water all over a newborn - like a direct hit. Not sure if there was compensation, but the mom was understandably pissed.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Did he at least comp the drink he spilled down your back?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lol.. 40 bucks a person??  

I've had meals delivered here to my house that cost 60 for two people..

I spent 600 at a restaurant, for two people and it's a chain restaurant..

I've spent 1000 at the top of the world for two people.

Accidents happen. Move on..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.. 40 bucks a person??  

I've had meals delivered here to my house that cost 60 for two people..

I spent 600 at a restaurant, for two people and it's a chain restaurant..

I've spent 1000 at the top of the world for two people.

Accidents happen. Move on..

I'm not sure if that's really something to brag about....
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Both times I have been really spilled on they comped meals and always offered to pick up the dry cleaning tab, or in the one case, even new clothes without me ever saying a word. At one restaurant the manager drove me back to the hotel because I was covered in an entire bottle of red wine and some glass shards. That was exciting.

Quoted:
View Quote

Do you work for .gov? If I see an expense report for lunch come across my desk at $40/head the submitter can expect some follow up questions. Especially if it didn't involve outside customers. In other words yes that is pretty high end for an employee lunch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#31]
should have been a comp of your meal.  the $40 in lost revenue is more than offset by improved guest relations.  restaurant management 101.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
worked in the restaurant business for years.

standard compensation would be comp your meal and reimburse you for dry cleaning cost.

View Quote

this guy understands.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I think the only thing you can absolutely expect would be to reimbursed for dry cleaning if needed.

That said I think any decent place would have offered to comp your meal. Part of paying to eat out is the experience. OPs experience sucked because of something the restaurant did. Therefore he didn't really get everything he paid for the service provided.

I can't tell if it really wouldn't bother some of you guys, or you're just trying prove who will accept the worst service and still want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#34]
They do not value you as a customer.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
should have been a comp of your meal.  the $40 in lost revenue is more than offset by improved guest relations.  restaurant management 101.
View Quote

This guy gets it. In service industry one bad yelp rating costs hundreds of customers to think twice about a restaurant.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The waitress made a simple mistake and the owner missed an opportunity.   You did the right thing.   Move on and be thankful it wasn't scalding hot cofee.
View Quote

Hardly.  Her ONLY job is to deliver your food and drink to your table, not down your back.  

And then mgmt didn't even offer a comp?  AND you gave a tip??

I'd be Yelping all over their ass.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd base my response on the waiter's response. Apologetic and sincere, no harm. Nonchalant attitude, I'd rail into them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my opinion the manager should have comped your meal and/or offered to pay your cleaning bill.  But if he didnt just consider it vagina wash.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#39]
When I was a waiter in college, I had a large table on mothers day.  The man next to the mother of the family stood up and bumped my tray full of drinks, tipping it on the mother.  Tray full of drinks drenched her white dress.  We helped clean her up best we could, the manager comped the entire table of food and drinks, and offered her dry cleaning.

I wanted to go hide in the walk in freezer, but finished waiting on them.  They didn't make a big deal out of it, but the manager was quick to take care of them.

I don't even remember if I got a tip or not.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd laugh at off as a Live Happens moment. Not a big deal to me.
View Quote

This.

I try and think of the poor bastard that did it.

You are to be complimented for taking the high road. It was a true accident and you showed grace under fire assuming you didn't pitch a fit.

Back in my framing days right in front of the general contractor I accidentally dropped a rigging ax and it plowed through a stack of new windows and he didn't bat an eyelash and a week later he gave me a raise. True grace under fire.

I have been pretty forgiving since then.

I daresay Melania Trump would INSTANTLY not bat an eyelash. She seems to have that kind of grace.

How would the Wookie or Hillary handle it? HAH!

Incidentally even the dumbest hound dog knows if he's been bumped into or kicked.

Had it happened to me with ANY inkling of malice you would have seen a horror show of such EPIC proportions that Cecille B, DeMille would be in awe of.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#41]
A lot of special snowflakes in this thread. Accidents happen. People demanding free meals and cleaning bills. Lord.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Was there intent?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had a waitress at a comedy club dump a tray of random mixed drinks all over me.
Poor girl was horrified and super apologetic. Comedian saw it happen and cracked jokes at my expense for about 10 minutes.
I lack shame for the most part so I thought it was pretty funny.

Table was comped for the whole evening and I got a free t-shirt to change into.

View Quote

That speaks very highly of you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A lot of special snowflakes in this thread. Accidents happen. People demanding free meals and cleaning bills. Lord.
View Quote

If you were at a party and bumped into someone spilling red wine on their expensive shirt would you offer to pay for cleaning/replacement? Or call them a special snowflake and walk away?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Username/Avatar/Location... Is OP Jerry Sandusky?!
View Quote

I know this is GD but that's pretty dickish.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Are there ice cubes in that iced tea?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#47]
if the clothing needs to be dry-cleaned you are entitled to that, end of story.

I'd expect at least free desert for table or your meal comped.  Not doing that would mean no longer giving them my business
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you were at a party and bumped into someone spilling red wine on their expensive shirt would you offer to pay for cleaning/replacement? Or call them a special snowflake and walk away?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't drink red wine, but I'll play along. I would extend a sincere apologie, but no I'm not going out of my way to compensate some random person for an accident. I wouldn't expect it if the roles were reversed either. I can't imagine being so entitled that someone spilling something on me and my first thought is "where is ma free shit".
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Next time give his restroom the Ryan Steakhouse treatment..
View Quote

You bastard! You cocksucker! You twisted little pigfucker! I ought to cut your nuts off with a plastic fork!

Do you know the pain and suffering of having an Old School Arfcommer make cheap bourbon come out of his nose?

That's funny. I don't care WHO you are!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't drink red wine, but I'll play along. I would extend a sincere apologie, but no I'm not going out of my way to compensate some random person for an accident. I wouldn't expect it if the roles were reversed either. I can't imagine being so entitled that someone spilling something on me and my first thought is "where is ma free shit".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with entitlement. It's fixing something you damaged. It doesn't really matter what it is. Maybe you borrow a buddies tool and break it. Would you say tough shit, or try to make it right?

How someone reacts when an accident happens to them is important. But how the person who causes the accident acts is just as, if not more, important.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top